• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Shannon is Fired!!!! Boom!!!

grizindabox said:
Griz til I die said:
Is there a press conference today to discuss this?

In the days of social distancing...

Can be done via video conference. Haslam and Bodner standing 6 feet apart on the video discussing it. Not sure what they discussed since it already was announced to the press yesterday.

TrueGriz said:
grizindabox said:
Griz til I die said:

Can be done via video conference. Haslam and Bodner standing 6 feet apart on the video discussing it. Not sure what they discussed since it already was announced to the press yesterday.

Nothing has been announced. This is all from my independent sourcing that the other news outlets took and ran with. The ethical ones have sited me. The Missoulian simply used my story as a tip to then call Shannon. She confirmed it directly. So it's very real. But the university has not made any sort of statement or announcement regarding this change.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
TrueGriz said:
grizindabox said:
Griz til I die said:

Nothing has been announced. This is all from my independent sourcing that the other news outlets took and ran with. The ethical ones have sited me. The Missoulian simply used my story as a tip to then call Shannon. She confirmed it directly. So it's very real. But the university has not made any sort of statement or announcement regarding this change.

Boy That is Interesting!!! So nothing is official! Plenty of national sure seem to make seem official outlets

Her contract runs into the summer, maybe July 31, so she will be paid through then. That would impact when a new head coach could be hired and paid the bigger salary. Perhaps another reason for an interim coach.

I wonder if she will move out of office, and Petrino will immediately start running things. Assume so.

At least, she won't be told to pack up and go immediately, like O'Day and Pflu were.

ThinkingGriz said:
How about some good news! I have heard Sophia had her surgery completed. Slipped in before everything shut down. Again I am somewhat confident of the source but not 100 percent certain. Some one should start a new thread and move on. I think money ball can rest for a while. I know if he sees injustice towards players he will return.

:thumb:

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
TrueGriz said:
grizindabox said:
Griz til I die said:

I can 100% confirm that That Skyline Sports was the first Media source to break this story. Everyone else jumped on board after. Good Job Colter!!!

moneyball said:
ThinkingGriz said:
How about some good news! I have heard Sophia had her surgery completed. Slipped in before everything shut down. Again I am somewhat confident of the source but not 100 percent certain. Some one should start a new thread and move on. I think money ball can rest for a while. I know if he sees injustice towards players he will return.

:thumb:

My source says 100% she had the surgery. And Abby is scheduled in a couple of weeks.

I’m biased (as a Blue Pony) but Loree would be a great hire! Hopefully they do a robust and thorough search... Excited to watch some players from the Hi-Line as Lady Griz the next few years!

I can 100% confirm Sophia had surgery in Billings on Tuesday. 7 month timetable for recovery. So gonna be close. But it was needed. She could barely even lift her arms last year. These women are tough!

BDizzle said:
I can 100% confirm Sophia had surgery in Billings on Tuesday. 7 month timetable for recovery. So gonna be close. But it was needed. She could barely even lift her arms last year. These women are tough!

Wow... That REALLY pisses me off. Nothing against her at all..

SACCAT66 said:
BDizzle said:

Wow... That REALLY pisses me off. Nothing against her at all..

Again I do feel for you. Seems to me like your son"s chest surgery seems like a bigger deal than shoulder. Just trying to keep people off your back.

jesslohse said:
I’m biased (as a Blue Pony) but Loree would be a great hire! Hopefully they do a robust and thorough search... Excited to watch some players from the Hi-Line as Lady Griz the next few years!

+1

Just a little food for thought. Shannon had 4-5 years as a player under Selvig and then 24 as his assistant. She obviously saw how he successfully coached and managed players. Yet in the coaching world, exposure to different coaching styles is thought to be essential. Perhaps she could have used a few stops at other schools before taking the reigns here?

grizpack said:
Very tough situation. Shannon is a Griz lifer. Just didn't work out. These are the days that Kent isn't paid nearly enough. I wonder how this will affect the track program, if at all.

I wish Shannon the best. I would like to see Coville get it, and see Shannon stay on as an assistant. I think Nate would do a kick ass job.

I hope you realize this is a “college basketball program” you are referring to? It’s not some youth ball team coached by parents. So let’s hire a first-year 3rd assistant with no prior head college coaching experience to be the next head coach and then ask the former head coach who has over 30 years of college basketball playing and coaching experience to be his new 3rd assistant. Yep that is a kick-ass idea and one Kent Haslam should take to the bank. Seriously, what is the color of the sky in your world?

You can judge her all you want in here you have the right to your opinion but I doubt 99% of the posters on here have ever played or coached at the D1 level or for some of you at any levels. You have no idea what is like to be in her shoes etc. The number of transfers ever year across all college sports has gone up year by year. The culture in sports today is more about “puppies and ice cream” then it is about being competitive and accountable etc. A large number of athletes today like winning if it comes easy but if they have to work hard for it and be held accountable for their short-comings, forget that. She was told she had to win before this last season and she plus her staff and players accomplished that. If she was given an extension, then that should have been honored. If the AD had concerns about transfers etc, then make that clear in the new contract and hold that standard. The choice that was made was very disrespectful towards a legendary player who has given 2/3 of her life so far to the program. She had to replace one of college basketball’s legendary coaches who won a ton of games etc. I don’t agree with Mr. Haslam’s decision and his next moves will be key for his future. If doesn’t find a successful replacement, then I hope he is shown the door.

Sugar Bear 16 said:
You can judge her all you want in here you have the right to your opinion but I doubt 99% of the posters on here have ever played or coached at the D1 level or for some of you at any levels. You have no idea what is like to be in her shoes etc. The number of transfers ever year across all college sports has gone up year by year. The culture in sports today is more about “puppies and ice cream” then it is about being competitive and accountable etc. A large number of athletes today like winning if it comes easy but if they have to work hard for it and be held accountable for their short-comings, forget that. She was told she had to win before this last season and she plus her staff and players accomplished that. If she was given an extension, then that should have been honored. If the AD had concerns about transfers etc, then make that clear in the new contract and hold that standard. The choice that was made was very disrespectful towards a legendary player who has given 2/3 of her life so far to the program. She had to replace one of college basketball’s legendary coaches who won a ton of games etc. I don’t agree with Mr. Haslam’s decision and his next moves will be key for his future. If doesn’t find a successful replacement, then I hope he is shown the door.

I can see your point, but I don't think I've ever been "around" a college coach in any sport that has seemed to have more problems with players, and parents, and with more players leaving or thinking about leaving. My view is that the main reason she was hired in the first place, and kept this long, is because of her legendary status, as opposed to her strong coaching and personality attributes. I have been told by various people close to the program, including former LG, that their choice, at least among the assistants, would have been Duce. Some, but fewer, also liked Shannon.

To me, Haslam is/was in the best position to judge, without bias, the extent of the problem behind the scenes. How can a program achieve success if so many players are unhappy or leaving. Note that there are rumors (I don't know if they are true) that other players were considering leaving.

Haslam may have misfired on initial coaching hires in some sports, but he seems to do pretty well in round two. Ha. I don't agree that Haslam's choice of a LG coach in the future, is a make or break thing for him. Unless he were to really blow it, which I can't imagine he would do.

PlayerRep said:
Sugar Bear 16 said:

I can see your point, but I don't think I've ever been "around" a college coach in any sport that has seemed to have more problems with players, and parents, and with more players leaving or thinking about leaving. My view is that the main reason she was hired in the first place, and kept this long, is because of her legendary status, as opposed to her strong coaching and personality attributes. I have been told by various people close to the program, including former LG, that their choice, at least among the assistants, would have been Duce. Some, but fewer, also liked Shannon.

To me, Haslam is/was in the best position to judge, without bias, the extent of the problem behind the scenes. How can a program achieve success if so many players are unhappy or leaving. Note that there are rumors (I don't know if they are true) that other players were considering leaving.

Haslam may have misfired on initial coaching hires in some sports, but he seems to do pretty well in round two. Ha. I don't agree that Haslam's choice of a LG coach in the future, is a make or break thing for him. Unless he were to really blow it, which I can't imagine he would do.

Been around? You hang out with college coaches all across the country all the time? The transfer issue has been a growing problem-hence why the NCAA had to make a new decision on the rule this past winter. I’m not disputing him having the right to do his job as he sees fit. I just don’t agree with it. I personally know one of the players who transferred her first season as head coach and trust me that player did the program a favor. This particular player’s father was on the Lavar Ball level of being a pain in the 🤬. As for former LG teammates of hers not liking her or wanting Duce that is irrelevant. I didn’t like everyone I played with in HS or college nor did I get along with or like all the coaches. That stuff happens all the time and there isn’t an athletic admin with their weight in gold that would base a termination on that and set that for a precedent. That would be a real stupid precedent to set. Bottom line is if you are going to fire someone with Shannon’s dedication to the program etc, well you better make sure the new hire works out because if it doesn’t, then I will remind everyone about what happened with Hogan and the Holst firing-Kennedy hiring and how all that worked out for Hogan.

Back