• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Will There Be a Basketball Season?

citygriz

I'm looking at three "decision variables."

--The Pac12. Athletes there are the most organized and most outspoken in the country over issues like player compensation and player safety. Social rebellions generally start on the West Coast and reverberate from there. So pay attention to what goes on in Pac12, starting with football.

--The University of Kentucky: They've decided to re-open, on campus, with more than 30,000 students about to show up. They will never admit it, but I can't help but believe that revenue from their football and basketball programs is a big factor.The president of the University of Kentucky is one of the highest paid public administrators in the country at $1.5 million. But his salary is dwarfed by John Calipari's $8 million per year. We know who wields the power at Kentucky--but Covid remains boss. Watch how it goes in Lexington.

--A vaccine. Of course, we can only play defense against the virus until a vaccine shows up. When will that be? If this Fall, as many are now predicting, that's a great sign for our basketball season. But whether that's political hype or objective reality remains to be seen. Fingers crossed.

citay said:
I'm looking at three "decision variables."

--The Pac12. Athletes there are the most organized and most outspoken in the country over issues like player compensation and player safety. Social rebellions generally start on the West Coast and reverberate from there. So pay attention to what goes on in Pac12, starting with football.

--The University of Kentucky: They've decided to re-open, on campus, with more than 30,000 students about to show up. They will never admit it, but I can't help but believe that revenue from their football and basketball programs is a big factor.The president of the University of Kentucky is one of the highest paid public administrators in the country at $1.5 million. But his salary is dwarfed by John Calipari's $8 million per year. We know who wields the power at Kentucky--but Covid remains boss. Watch how it goes in Lexington.

--A vaccine. Of course, we can only play defense against the virus until a vaccine shows up. When will that be? If this Fall, as many are now predicting, that's a great sign for our basketball season. But whether that's political hype or objective reality remains to be seen. Fingers crossed.

In my opinion the only variables that matter will be the virus numbers themselves and how sports overall does prior to November.

The NBA is not really relevant because of the bubble, something that can’t be replicated by colleges. However, if there should be an outbreak in the bubble, then no college season.

MLB looks like it is teetering on the brink of collapse. Also, no data yet from college football and NFL having actual contact.

I think you will have a pretty good idea about the season by the end of August.

I’m confident there will be a basketball season. Vaccine testing looks promising, and even if they can’t start on November 10, I’m confident they could start in 2021. Still waiting for the big sky to release the conference schedule.

How can basket ball season be justified when football and other Fall and Winter sports are cancelled? What is going to happen to the commits and scholarships already in effect? What will be considered by way of playing eligibility? So much depends upon the health situations of various student bodies and their teams. What a mess. Lots of kids being hurt by all this. NO easy answers, that is for sure.

It aint starting on time. Second semester is possible with conference only. And that is, if we have a vaccine.

GrizLA said:
How can basket ball season be justified when football and other Fall and Winter sports are cancelled? What is going to happen to the commits and scholarships already in effect? What will be considered by way of playing eligibility? So much depends upon the health situations of various student bodies and their teams. What a mess. Lots of kids being hurt by all this. NO easy answers, that is for sure.

Who cancelled Winter sports?

HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizLA said:

Who cancelled Winter sports?

We may find out soon enouigh.

Back