• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Timmy Falls steps away from Griz hoops

Status
Not open for further replies.
DPGriz said:
He played 20 mpg on a team that had Rorie, Oguine, Pridgett, Manuel, and Dorsey as guards/wings (all of them upperclassmen btw), I don't buy that this year's team has so much more talent than the '17 and '18 teams that Timmy wouldn't be a contributor.

Falls feshmen year he averaged roughly 17 minutes a game, coming off the bench. which is pretty good for a first season.
His second year he played most of the year off the bench also, it wasn't until akohs injury that he was in the starting lineup that skewed his mpg. Stats. Do you think if akoh hadn't been injured , falls would have gotten those minutes? I sure don't.

It's tough to say this team is more talented than those others considering they haven't played one game as a unit yet.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Nothing against Timmy, but it would appear that the talent level on the Griz passed him by....

That’s a testament to DeCuire’s recruiting these past couple years.

Don't think this is right. I think he would have been a starter this year at UM. Heard he went to portal because he wasn't getting good enough assurance that he could return to team. Mountain West has already reached out. Note that his mother lives near Sacramento.

I’m confused. Didn’t he lose his scholly? Or are you suggesting that he couldn’t return to the team because of something that had happened? Or did he lose his scholly because of something that happened?

And to address another poster, yes, he had 20 mpg with Oguine, Rory, Pridgett, Dorsey, etc....but THIS team, 1-10, is way, way deeper than that team was....it’s been DeCuire’s Achilles heal since he got here...he couldn’t get the bench deep enough to play the style he really wanted....and it’d bite us in the end. I believe, if this team is allowed to play, we’ll finally see a rotation deep enough that he can get “40 minutes of hell” out of ‘em (to steal Nolan Richardson’s phrase....)....

braves84 said:
DPGriz said:
He played 20 mpg on a team that had Rorie, Oguine, Pridgett, Manuel, and Dorsey as guards/wings (all of them upperclassmen btw), I don't buy that this year's team has so much more talent than the '17 and '18 teams that Timmy wouldn't be a contributor.

Falls feshmen year he averaged roughly 17 minutes a game, coming off the bench. which is pretty good for a first season.
His second year he played most of the year off the bench also, it wasn't until akohs injury that he was in the starting lineup that skewed his mpg. Stats. Do you think if akoh hadn't been injured , falls would have gotten those minutes? I sure don't.

It's tough to say this team is more talented than those others considering they haven't played one game as a unit yet.

He played 18.6 mpg in the 15 games that Akoh did play, so no, his minutes weren't skewed by the injury.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
Don't think this is right. I think he would have been a starter this year at UM. Heard he went to portal because he wasn't getting good enough assurance that he could return to team. Mountain West has already reached out. Note that his mother lives near Sacramento.

I’m confused. Didn’t he lose his scholly? Or are you suggesting that he couldn’t return to the team because of something that had happened? Or did he lose his scholly because of something that happened?

And to address another poster, yes, he had 20 mpg with Oguine, Rory, Pridgett, Dorsey, etc....but THIS team, 1-10, is way, way deeper than that team was....it’s been DeCuire’s Achilles heal since he got here...he couldn’t get the bench deep enough to play the style he really wanted....and it’d bite us in the end. I believe, if this team is allowed to play, we’ll finally see a rotation deep enough that he can get “40 minutes of hell” out of ‘em (to steal Nolan Richardson’s phrase....)....

Way, way deeper? Oguine has way more career minutes in a Griz uniform than every player on the roster combined, Moorehead and Oguine have more minutes at the college level than every player on the roster. Would love to know how you're so certain that this largely unproven group is going to be significantly better/deeper than a group that had two Pac12 transfers on the bench as RS Juniors.

Career minutes don't equate to depth, rather experience. Given the pedigree of the newcomers and the thin bench the last couple years of the Oguine/Rorie years partly due to key injuries (Akoh/Dorsey) their senior year it's pretty safe to say more depth is entirely possible if the guys play up to their potential. Of course at this point it's speculation either way.

DPGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Way, way deeper? Oguine has way more career minutes in a Griz uniform than every player on the roster combined, Moorehead and Oguine have more minutes at the college level than every player on the roster. Would love to know how you're so certain that this largely unproven group is going to be significantly better/deeper than a group that had two Pac12 transfers on the bench as RS Juniors.

Certainly I’m talking about potential. You know what that is?

Hoops watcher said:
Career minutes don't equate to depth, rather experience. Given the pedigree of the newcomers and the thin bench the last couple years of the Oguine/Rorie years partly due to key injuries (Akoh/Dorsey) their senior year it's pretty safe to say more depth is entirely possible if the guys play up to their potential. Of course at this point it's speculation either way.

The point about minutes is that we have no idea how good most of the players we are counting on this year so to say this team is "way, way deeper" than the tourney teams that Falls contributed to (the '19 team in particular) is crazy.

2019 was so deep that we had four 1000 point scorers and (imo) none of them were our best player, Jamar Akoh was. Add in proven depth players in Bobby and Timmy, plus Mack as a big body and it's almost impossible to imagine this group of underclassmen and inexperienced transfers being "deeper" or more talented.

DPGriz said:
Hoops watcher said:

The point about minutes is that we have no idea how good most of the players we are counting on this year so to say this team is "way, way deeper" than the tourney teams that Falls contributed to (the '19 team in particular) is crazy.

2019 was so deep that we had four 1000 point scorers and (imo) none of them were our best player, Jamar Akoh was. Add in proven depth players in Bobby and Timmy, plus Mack as a big body and it's almost impossible to imagine this group of underclassmen and inexperienced transfers being "deeper" or more talented.

A couple of points. Steadman and Satterwhite are 5th year seniors and have been successful at the D-1 level. Age wise Parker should be a senior, but he went to a national prep school prior to entering college. Not sure how you consider this group inexperienced, in fact I think they are the exact opposite. Also, DeCuire has stated this is the deepest team he has had since he has been at Montana.

But what you are saying could also be true. 1-7 on those teams versus this team could be more talented, but quite possibly 1-10 or 1-12 they weren’t.

GrizBall said:
DPGriz said:

A couple of points. Steadman and Satterwhite are 5th year seniors and have been successful at the D-1 level. Age wise Parker should be a senior, but he went to a national prep school prior to entering college. Not sure how you consider this group inexperienced, in fact I think they are the exact opposite. Also, DeCuire has stated this is the deepest team he has had since he has been at Montana.

But what you are saying could also be true. 1-7 on those teams versus this team could be more talented, but quite possibly 1-10 or 1-12 they weren’t.

When/where did Travis say this was the deepest team he ever coached last UM?

The Griz return a total of 17, 14, 9 and 6 starts at UM. 3 frosh and a soph. 21.9 points. 13.9 rebounds. Including Egun and Jones.

And, yes, guys with starts at other schools. I hear Steadman is terrific. Best big man in conference.

Who will the team leaders be?

GrizBall said:
DPGriz said:

The players we have aren't experienced at this level as I pointed out in my post comparing the minutes played. Steadman has played one season at this level where he won 2 D1 games, Parker played a season and half, Gaskin hasn't played a game. Obviously Satterwhite has some nice experience but he's really the only experienced player at this level that we have, so yes I would say they're inexperienced.

DeCuire does seem excited about this group though so that certainly is a good sign that they can have success.

Washgrizfan1 said:
GrizBall said:

When/where did Travis say this was the deepest team he ever coached last UM?

Tootell and Nuanez - July 1 Podcast. Starting at the 24 minute mark.

DPGriz said:
GrizBall said:

The players we have aren't experienced at this level as I pointed out in my post comparing the minutes played. Steadman has played one season at this level where he won 2 D1 games, Parker played a season and half, Gaskin hasn't played a game. Obviously Satterwhite has some nice experience but he's really the only experienced player at this level that we have, so yes I would say they're inexperienced.

DeCuire does seem excited about this group though so that certainly is a good sign that they can have success.

We can have a friendly disagreement. Steadman has only played one season, but averaged 13p/8r in a conference much stronger than the Big Sky. He is also 23 years old. Plus he has already spent a year at Montana.

Parker has played about 50 D-1 games at 30 minutes per game. 1500 D-1 point guard minutes. That’s not inexperienced to me.

GrizBall said:

Kinda of disappointed no one took the bait. I thought this was a sure discussion generator!

PG - Parker
SG - Gaskin
SF - Satterwhite
PF - Carter Hollinger
C - Steadman

Nope, Falls. Probably over Gaskin or Satterwhite.

"On the season, Satterwhite started 18 Big Sky contests and averaged 24.3 minutes per game for the Lumberjacks. He totaled 9.0 points per game on .427 shooting, knocking down 30 3-pointers (third on the team). He also averaged 2.4 rebounds per game." Had 43 assists and 28 steals, and 8 blocks."

Falls: 27 starts last year (injured at start of season). 29.6 minutes. 41.6%. 2.3 rebounds. 87 assists. 39 steals. 12 blocks. 6.6 average. Very good defender. Leader.

Satterwhite had 46 TO. Falls had 54.

Satterwhite's soph year at Loyola:

"Averaged 10.4 minutes over those 35 games during his sophomore season and recorded 1.7 points and 1.6 rebounds, while shooting 33.3 percent from the field and 65.6 percent from the free throw line."

Satterwhite is listed at 6'4", 172. Falls 6'2", 170.

GrizBall said:

Kinda of disappointed no one took the bait. I thought this was a sure discussion generator!

PG - Parker
SG - Gaskin
SF - Satterwhite
PF - Carter Hollinger
C - Steadman
That's what I would go with also.

braves84 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Nothing against Timmy, but it would appear that the talent level on the Griz passed him by....

That’s a testament to DeCuire’s recruiting these past couple years.

You obviously haven't talked to decuire or anybody else close to the montana program to arrive to that opinion.
Kidding, I agree with you 100%.
The talent he's brought in the last year or two has been upgraded greatly.

Hahaha I started reading that and feared Braves84 had suffered sycophantic brain rot like some others lol. That said hope Falls does well elsewhere seems like a nice enthusiastic person, but your probably right young talent was starting to pass him by, his offense was shaky and inconsistent at best, and his D was way overrated as we got continually torched by pt guards last year and dear god the amount of hand check fouls Timmy would pick up every game...and he never seemed to learn or make an adjustment.

PlayerRep said:
"On the season, Satterwhite started 18 Big Sky contests and averaged 24.3 minutes per game for the Lumberjacks. He totaled 9.0 points per game on .427 shooting, knocking down 30 3-pointers (third on the team). He also averaged 2.4 rebounds per game." Had 43 assists and 28 steals, and 8 blocks."

Falls: 27 starts last year (injured at start of season). 29.6 minutes. 41.6%. 2.3 rebounds. 87 assists. 39 steals. 12 blocks. 6.6 average. Very good defender. Leader.

Satterwhite had 46 TO. Falls had 54.

Satterwhite's soph year at Loyola:

"Averaged 10.4 minutes over those 35 games during his sophomore season and recorded 1.7 points and 1.6 rebounds, while shooting 33.3 percent from the field and 65.6 percent from the free throw line."

Satterwhite is listed at 6'4", 172. Falls 6'2", 170.

I think it's funny that some posters, who probably haven't even seen a practice, are infatuated with a player who have never played in a college game (after redshirting his frosh year at Utah and transferring). He might turn out to be very good, but I can't imagine that he would have been better than a seasoned senior who had started much of 2 years and contributed in all 3.
What does anyone know about this transfer's defense? Just curious.

I am find it that some posters are infatuated with a senior transfer who has started 18 of 29 games for a mediocre NAU team. Never started in the 2 previous years. Averaged 1.7 points per game as a sophomore. Shot 1.1% better than Falls. Satterwhite didn't have many assists or blocks, but had a lot of turnovers. Anyone care to comment on his defensive ability?

What kind of guys are these guys? Good guys? Team players? Leaders? Will they mesh with the old and new players?

You "experts" are funny. You seem to think any transfer is better than what we have. UM lost most of the guys had who had the most starts, except Falls (and now Falls too). That's the main reason why DeCuire was looking for new transfer talent, especially when seemingly good talent became available.,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back