• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Timmy Falls steps away from Griz hoops

Status
Not open for further replies.
HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:
Nope, Falls. Probably over Gaskin or Satterwhite.

You're wrong.
1-Falls isn’t an off the ball player
2-Both Satterwhite and Gaskin are better shooters
3-Gaskin is a better athlete, bigger
4-Satterwhite can defend almost anybody you want him too, you think Falls could defend, wait until you see this kid
5-Falls can be turnover prone, and having him as a starter alongside Parker, another turnover prone playmaker wouldn’t be a good idea.
6-Falls fits better off the bench for the exact reason I stated above
That good enough for you?
And before you even mention Gaskins shooting, Timmy was as inconsistent as it gets, Gaskin before leaving Utah was mentioned as there most improved outside shooter.

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
You're wrong.

Nope, you are. I explained my reasoning. Let's see yours.

You are right, the guy that lost his scholly was going to start in front of kids that were deemed important enough to have a scholly. My bad. We won't even get into that Timmy was below average offensively and overrated defensively.

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:

You are right, the guy that lost his scholly was going to start in front of kids that were deemed important enough to have a scholly. My bad. We won't even get into that Timmy was below average offensively and overrated defensively.

He didn't lose his scholarship because he wasn't a good enough player. He lost it because his family had plenty of money to pay for him, and the coaches made a calculated risk that he liked UM so much that he would stay for his senior year. Falls was pretty good offensively, and was not overrated defensively at all.

Your post shows how little you know about the game of basketball and how little you know about Griz basketball, in my view.

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
You're wrong.

Although you didn’t ask me, I will give you my reasoning. I think you raised excellent points.

My thoughts are Falls is 6’2, Parker is 6’2, Gaskins is listed at 6’4 but isn’t that tall and Satterwhite is 6’4.

If you assume Steadman is the C and Carter-Hollinger is the PF, you already have a slight issue in that DCH is 6’5, which is fairly short, so I don’t think you can go 6’2, 6’2, 6’2 in positions 1-3.

Satterwhite is 6’4 and a borderline elite athlete with long arms and can guard positions 1-3. I believe he can also at least put up a fight with many 4’s in the Big Sky.

So in my mind that would leave Falls, Gaskin and Parker battling for the 1 and 2. From what I have seen on film and what TDC has said publicly about Parker I would assume he would want Parker running the point.

That would leave a battle between Gaskin and Falls for the 2 spot. And from what I have been hearing about Gaskin’s play in practice and his elite athleticism, I gave him the nod over Falls. But I wouldn’t battle you over that distinction.

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

He didn't lose his scholarship because he wasn't a good enough player. He lost it because his family had plenty of money to pay for him, and the coaches made a calculated risk that he liked UM so much that he would stay for his senior year. Falls was pretty good offensively, and was not overrated defensively at all.

Your post shows how little you know about the game of basketball and how little you know about Griz basketball, in my view.

You don't just take a kid off scholarship and hope he stays if you think he is a big part, integral part, of the program. You don't yank the scholly of a starter. Your post shows how big of a moron you are.

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

If that was a calculated risk then then coach needs a different calculator.

GrizBall said:
PlayerRep said:

Although you didn’t ask me, I will give you my reasoning. I think you raised excellent points.

My thoughts are Falls is 6’2, Parker is 6’2, Gaskins is listed at 6’4 but isn’t that tall and Satterwhite is 6’4.

If you assume Steadman is the C and Carter-Hollinger is the PF, you already have a slight issue in that DCH is 6’5, which is fairly short, so I don’t think you can go 6’2, 6’2, 6’2 in positions 1-3.

Satterwhite is 6’4 and a borderline elite athlete with long arms and can guard positions 1-3. I believe he can also at least put up a fight with many 4’s in the Big Sky.

So in my mind that would leave Falls, Gaskin and Parker battling for the 1 and 2. From what I have seen on film and what TDC has said publicly about Parker I would assume he would want Parker running the point.

That would leave a battle between Gaskin and Falls for the 2 spot. And from what I have been hearing about Gaskin’s play in practice and his elite athleticism, I gave him the nod over Falls. But I wouldn’t battle you over that distinction.

Good analysis, but Falls would have started over Satterwhite or Gaskin, or someone. At this point, Gaskin is not better than Falls, nor is Satterwhite.

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:

You don't just take a kid off scholarship and hope he stays if you think he is a big part, integral part, of the program. You don't yank the scholly of a starter. Your post shows how big of a moron you are.

I have inside information. You are the moron.

PlayerRep said:
GrizBall said:

Good analysis, but Falls would have started over Satterwhite or Gaskin, or someone. At this point, Gaskin is not better than Falls, nor is Satterwhite.
People get too caught up in who is "starting." Travis shuffled starting lineups a bunch last year and I bet he will with this group too. I know one thing for sure. Timmy Falls made the Griz a better team the last three years. He had all those intangibles that don't show up in box score. Two years ago after Akoh went down if would have been difficult for Griz to win BSC without him. Timmy would have found a way on the court with this group because he is so damn competitive. I will miss watching him play. I wish him all the best.

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I know where you are getting your info, and I still say that you are wrong.

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
I know where you are getting your info, and I still say that you are wrong.

Okay, name the gentleman giving me most of the information.

I won't do that, but to approach this a different way, is this gentleman close to any of the coaching staff or closer to the player? Pretty sure I know which side he is closer too.

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

You have inside information that HHB is a moron? :shock:

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Here is what happened exactly as it happened.

1. Immediately after the tournament was cancelled the coaching staff informed Falls that his scholarship would not be renewed and that he would not be a part of the program in 20-21. His options were either enter the transfer portal or pay his own way in 20-21 and if he met certain criteria, he could rejoin the team in 21-22 but was not guaranteed a scholarship for that year. UM made this decision with the full knowledge that Falls may have played his last game for UM. Once this decision was made, UM had 1 open scholarship for 20-21.

2. With the Falls decision, UM had one scholarship available and knew they needed to add experience. It was still early by transfer portal standards as most players don’t enter until after year-end meetings with their current schools, so UM basically had no idea who would be in the portal and where there would be interest on both sides. This debunks some popular opinions on this board that Falls voluntarily agreed to pay his own way, he left because of the talent that was brought in or Falls was made expendable by the new talent. It was actually the opposite, UM brought in transfers only when they made the decision to be without Falls for 20-21.

3. UM began recruiting a number of transfers including Satterwhite and Parker. Based on the recruiting process UM believed they had a good chance of landing Satterwhite, Parker and a few others. Satterwhite committed which left no available scholarships for 20-21.

4. Subsequent to Satterwhite committing, another scholarship opened up which the staff then made available to Parker and a few others. Parker was willing to commit and that was the reason he got the new available scholarship. It is my understanding that Parker wasn’t necessarily the highest left on their recruiting board, but he was willing to commit and was an upgrade at a position they desperately needed help and experience.

GrizBall said:
PlayerRep said:

1. Immediately after the tournament was cancelled the coaching staff informed Falls that his scholarship would not be renewed and that he would not be a part of the program in 20-21. His options were either enter the transfer portal or pay his own way in 20-21 and if he met certain criteria, he could rejoin the team in 21-22 but was not guaranteed a scholarship for that year. UM made this decision with the full knowledge that Falls may have played his last game for UM. Once this decision was made, UM had 1 open scholarship for 20-21.

2. With the Falls decision, UM had one scholarship available and knew they needed to add experience. It was still early by transfer portal standards as most players don’t enter until after year-end meetings with their current schools, so UM basically had no idea who would be in the portal and where there would be interest on both sides. This debunks some popular opinions on this board that Falls voluntarily agreed to pay his own way, he left because of the talent that was brought in or Falls was made expendable by the new talent. It was actually the opposite, UM brought in transfers only when they made the decision to be without Falls for 20-21.

3. UM began recruiting a number of transfers including Satterwhite and Parker. Based on the recruiting process UM believed they had a good chance of landing Satterwhite, Parker and a few others. Satterwhite committed which left no available scholarships for 20-21.

4. Subsequent to Satterwhite committing, another scholarship opened up which the staff then made available to Parker and a few others. Parker was willing to commit and that was the reason he got the new available scholarship. It is my understanding that Parker wasn’t necessarily the highest left on their recruiting board, but he was willing to commit and was an upgrade at a position they desperately needed help and experience.

And that is exactly what I heard from my source who works camps, and is close to the staff.

GrizBall said:
PlayerRep said:

Who is the other scolly that opened up and where does Josh V. fit into picture.

fanofzoo said:
GrizBall said:
Who is the other scolly that opened up and where does Josh V. fit into picture.

I don’t want to address the the specific scholarship situation. But I will say each D-1 team is allowed 13 scholarships and both Parker and Satterwhite are on scholarship. I think you can very easily narrow it down to one or two.

I would also say that I love Timmy and at the bare minimum, even with the new players, he would have been a terrific energy 6th man and as someone else mentioned he would have definitely been in the mix of being a starter.

I think Josh V. will be a terrific first perimeter player off the bench. He can play both PG and SG, so depending on the situation, you could bring him in for any of my projected starters (Satterwhite, Parker or Gaskin).

UMFan12 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
You're wrong.
1-Falls isn’t an off the ball player
2-Both Satterwhite and Gaskin are better shooters
3-Gaskin is a better athlete, bigger
4-Satterwhite can defend almost anybody you want him too, you think Falls could defend, wait until you see this kid
5-Falls can be turnover prone, and having him as a starter alongside Parker, another turnover prone playmaker wouldn’t be a good idea.
6-Falls fits better off the bench for the exact reason I stated above
That good enough for you?
And before you even mention Gaskins shooting, Timmy was as inconsistent as it gets, Gaskin before leaving Utah was mentioned as there most improved outside shooter.

I agree with everything but 1 & 2. I don’t believe Falls proved in his three years that he could be a starting PG on a BSC championship team. However, he is more than capable of being a SG/slashing wing/back-up PG on a BSC Champion.

In regards to 3 point shooting, we have no statistics on Gaskin and there is nothing in Satterwhite’s 3 year career vs. Falls’ 3 year career to indicate that Satterwhite is the better 3 point shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back