• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Men's 2020-21 Basketball Schedule

Griz til I die said:
GrizBall said:
This is good info. I have been reading a lot of articles that say based on how the contracts are written, in this case Georgia may be able to greatly reduce the payout or terminate or postpone the game based on things out of their control such as COVID and the possibility that fans wouldn’t be allowed to attend the game.

Apparently the new rate for games like this is $15-20k which wouldn’t even cover the trip to Georgia.

Regional games seem to be what people are looking at. UM could have games with WSU (if PAC-12 plays before 1/1), Seattle, University of Portland and someone like Gonzaga, although the Zags are in a much higher financial bracket and probably don’t need to pay as much attention to costs.
I believe it was John Calipari in an interview with Tom Izzo, Mark Few and Andy Katz that he said we need to take care of the mid-major schools and make sure that we take care of them and getting them the pay games they need to support their programs. So all 3 of those schools were in favor of pay games for the bettering of college basketball as a whole.

We can be hopeful but I am skeptical for a few reasons:

1. Athletic departments are furloughing, laying-off, instituting pay-cuts and in some cases cutting sports. The optics of UK (for example) paying a school $80k when Eastern Kentucky could do a day trip for $15k isn’t good.

2. The NCAA cut the maximum amount of games from 31 to 27 which means less available games for mid-majors particularly when you add in all the non-conference tournaments/showcases and league vs. league challenges already scheduled.

3. With fewer non-con games, each non-con game becomes more important for Selection Sunday. A P-5 can’t waste games playing random teams from random leagues when trying to built strength of schedule or other analytics that the Committee looks at.

4. Testing Protocols - Power 5 schools can afford to test their players everyday. It’s unlikely most non-P5 schools can do that. If I am a P-5 school I am only going to play schools that have comparable testing protocols.

I think UM can be in a good position if they can institute a good testing program. I think they will be good enough where they won’t kill a team’s strength of schedule but not quite good enough to where P-5 schools are ducking them. UM would be an attractive game for P-5 schools.

GrizBall said:
Griz til I die said:
I believe it was John Calipari in an interview with Tom Izzo, Mark Few and Andy Katz that he said we need to take care of the mid-major schools and make sure that we take care of them and getting them the pay games they need to support their programs. So all 3 of those schools were in favor of pay games for the bettering of college basketball as a whole.

NCAA guideline is 3 tests per week. Can every BSC school afford that?

https://twitter.com/ncaa/status/1309543435121176576?s=12

We can be hopeful but I am skeptical for a few reasons:

1. Athletic departments are furloughing, laying-off, instituting pay-cuts and in some cases cutting sports. The optics of UK (for example) paying a school $80k when Eastern Kentucky could do a day trip for $15k isn’t good.

2. The NCAA cut the maximum amount of games from 31 to 27 which means less available games for mid-majors particularly when you add in all the non-conference tournaments/showcases and league vs. league challenges already scheduled.

3. With fewer non-con games, each non-con game becomes more important for Selection Sunday. A P-5 can’t waste games playing random teams from random leagues when trying to built strength of schedule or other analytics that the Committee looks at.

4. Testing Protocols - Power 5 schools can afford to test their players everyday. It’s unlikely most non-P5 schools can do that. If I am a P-5 school I am only going to play schools that have comparable testing protocols.

I think UM can be in a good position if they can institute a good testing program. I think they will be good enough where they won’t kill a team’s strength of schedule but not quite good enough to where P-5 schools are ducking them. UM would be an attractive game for P-5 schools.

The one pre-season game I eagerly anticipated was Arizona, Dec. 22. Does this mean that game is back on? I sure hope so. And I'd love to see us take on Georgia as well. As we all know, we are locked and loaded. We will not be sacrificial lambs to the P-5 this year.

But covid is not done with us. Nationally, we're still hovering around 40,000 cases a day. The one guy I trust on the pandemic, Fauci, said we needed to be well below that going into the flu season. France was doing okay, now they're shutting down again. My French pal can't go to his cafes.

Try as you will, you can't bull-shit a pandemic. As we've already learned the hard way.

citay said:
The one pre-season game I eagerly anticipated was Arizona, Dec. 22. Does this mean that game is back on? I sure hope so. And I'd love to see us take on Georgia as well. As we all know, we are locked and loaded. We will not be sacrificial lambs to the P-5 this year.

But covid is not done with us. Nationally, we're still hovering around 40,000 cases a day. The one guy I trust on the pandemic, Fauci, said we needed to be well below that going into the flu season. France was doing okay, now they're shutting down again. My French pal can't go to his cafes.

Try as you will, you can't bull-shit a pandemic. As we've already learned the hard way.

Missoula is breaking records on a daily basis. I hope they don’t display them in the Champion’s Center.

Looks like Big Sky is increasing the league schedule to 20 games from a previously announced 16. Interesting that they will play same team at the same location Thur/Sat meaning UM could play MSU back-to-back in Bozeman (or vice versa).

Also, based on the NCAA previously announcing a max of 27 total games if you play in a multi-team tournament or 26 if you don’t means UM will likely play 5-7 non-conference games.

https://twitter.com/weberhq/status/1314951152681848833?s=21

AllWeatherFan said:
citay said:

Missoula is breaking records on a daily basis. I hope they don’t display them in the Champion’s Center.

Bullock/Cooney have let the Covid get close to being out of control. 3d highest state in terms of 7-day averages of increases in cases. Daily deaths up 50% for last 7 days. They've squandered a good hand, and a good early start. Dems dropping in polls, or at least this Emerson College one. Too bad.

https://emersonpolling.reportablenews.com/pr/montana-2020-republicans-hold-advantages-in-presidential-us-senate-and-governor-races?fbclid=IwAR2RJYEcMbouaaP--fPOAmpv1_ygAYHTAEDpAoxSV82T9-H8B9gOylZvQ88

PlayerRep said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Bullock/Cooney have let the Covid get close to being out of control. 3d highest state in terms of 7-day averages of increases in cases. Daily deaths up 50% for last 7 days. They've squandered a good hand, and a good early start. Dems dropping in polls, or at least this Emerson College one. Too bad.

https://emersonpolling.reportablenews.com/pr/montana-2020-republicans-hold-advantages-in-presidential-us-senate-and-governor-races?fbclid=IwAR2RJYEcMbouaaP--fPOAmpv1_ygAYHTAEDpAoxSV82T9-H8B9gOylZvQ88
It’s also an incredibly weird poll that they conducted over text message rather then the normal phone calls, so I would take it with a grain of salt. The big poll comes out next week that MSU is conducting. That’s typically a very reliable poll.

D1 docket is reporting home games against Central Arkansas and Texas Southern. Maybe their a part of that non-conf tournament we were supposed to host???

Griz til I die said:
D1 docket is reporting home games against Central Arkansas and Texas Southern. Maybe their a part of that non-conf tournament we were supposed to host???

At least some news. I'm dreading a winter w/o Griz hoops. Would be time to make like a gator and drag ass somewhere warm with golf courses.

Griz til I die said:
PlayerRep said:

It’s also an incredibly weird poll that they conducted over text message rather then the normal phone calls, so I would take it with a grain of salt. The big poll comes out next week that MSU is conducting. That’s typically a very reliable poll.

Various polls use text messaging, for all or part of poll. Some think it's more accurate.

Why do you think it's a "weird" poll?

Griz til I die said:
PlayerRep said:

https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/msu-poll-shows-tight-montana-races

citay said:
Griz til I die said:

That’s the one I’m talking about. It came out this morning. It looks fairly accurate.

https://bigskyconf.com/news/2020/10/14/mens-basketball-big-sky-unveils-new-format-for-2020-21-conference-basketball-schedule.aspx

Not exactly sure how to read this but looks like we will either be playing home or away or something like that
EkYc2UIWAAEWzWQ

flatheadgriz406 said:
Not exactly sure how to read this but looks like we will either be playing home or away or something like that
EkYc2UIWAAEWzWQ

The only schools that Montana will play home/away are MSU and EWU. For everyone else, it will be a 2-game set over the same weekend either home or away.

To make it easy, here is Montana mens schedule:

12/3/2020 UM at SUU
12/5/2020 UM at SUU

12/31/2020 UNC at UM
01/2/2021 UNC at UM

01/7/2021 OPEN
01/9/2021 OPEN

01/14/2021 NAU at UM
01/16/2021 NAU at UM

01/21/2021 UM at SAC
01/23/2021 UM at SAC

01/28/2021 MSU at UM
01/30/2021 UM at MSU

02/4/2021 UM at PSU
02/6/2021 UM at PSU

02/11/2021 WSU at UM
02/13/2021 WSU at UM

02/18/2021 UM at EWU
02/20/2021 EWU at UM

02/25/2021 UM at ISU
02/27/2021 UM at ISU

03/4/2021 UI at UM
03/6/2021 UI at UM

Lady Griz are reverse of above.

Griz til I die said:
citay said:
That’s the one I’m talking about. It came out this morning. It looks fairly accurate.

I think this poll looks very inaccurate. It has Trump winning by only 7%. Sorry, don't think so. He won by 20% in 2016.

Also, I don't think this is a good methodology. Mailing questionnaires, and then using the ones returned?

"Sampled individuals received a questionnaire by mail and were asked to return the questionnaire via a prepaid business reply envelope. Respondents returned 1,787 surveys, a response rate of 20.2% based on 8,836 deliverable addresses."

Huge margin error. Every race is in their margin of error (7.8%), even the presidential race. What good is that kind of poll?

"This resulted in a MoE of +/- 3.9 percentage points, using a confidence level of 95% and a response distribution of 50% (the most conservative estimate) with the given population size."

PlayerRep said:
Griz til I die said:

I think this poll looks very inaccurate. It has Trump winning by only 7%. Sorry, don't think so. He won by 20% in 2016.

Also, I don't think this is a good methodology. Mailing questionnaires, and then using the ones returned?

"Sampled individuals received a questionnaire by mail and were asked to return the questionnaire via a prepaid business reply envelope. Respondents returned 1,787 surveys, a response rate of 20.2% based on 8,836 deliverable addresses."

Huge margin error. Every race is in their margin of error (7.8%), even the presidential race. What good is that kind of poll?

"This resulted in a MoE of +/- 3.9 percentage points, using a confidence level of 95% and a response distribution of 50% (the most conservative estimate) with the given population size."
Ya I agree. It's a horrible poll upon further review. Mail is definitely not an effective polling option. Couple of other things I noticed from this. If you take a look at the governors poll (and quite frankly all of them for that matter), to me it just doesn't seem like it's a very fair sample. 1,615 respondents, where only 440 of the respondents identified themselves as democrats compared to 697 republicans, and 330 independents. That means only 28% of respondents in this poll are democrats. Shouldn't they have at least tried to get an even distribution of dems vs. GOP's? Also, if you look at education, 956 or 63% of the respondents only had a high school diploma or GED. This poll is extremely inaccurate because they failed to get as even a distribution as possible.

And to your statement about Trump, I agree that he will win Montana, and I think that the 7% number seems about right. He won't win by 20 points like he did 4 years ago, but I do think he will win by about 7-10. Just my 2 cents.

Back