• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Great News!

citygriz

Sure, it was inevitable, but I'm still surprised nobody here has commented on it: The NCAA has allowed winter athletes an extra year of eligibility.

Which means: Instead of one year, Satterwhite and Steadman now get two, while Parker and Henderson get three. Plus Anderson and our young sophomores all get in essence a redshirt year.

At least that's the way I interpret this ruling.

What does it mean for recruiting? And roster sizes? TBD.

My guess is, this year gets wiped out completely. Cases are spiking again around the country as we head into flu season. Basketball is an indoor sport. And while, yes, the NBA ran probably the most successful season of all the major sports, that was in a bubble, with incredible resources available for testing and sanitation. Colleges can't begin to duplicate that.

But this guarantees we'll still be loaded in 21-22.

citay said:
Sure, it was inevitable, but I'm still surprised nobody here has commented on it: The NCAA has allowed winter athletes an extra year of eligibility.

Which means: Instead of one year, Satterwhite and Steadman now get two, while Parker and Henderson get three. Plus Anderson and our young sophomores all get in essence a redshirt year.

My guess is, this year gets wiped out completely. Cases are spiking again around the country as we head into flu season. Basketball is an indoor sport. And while, yes, the NBA ran probably the most successful season of all the major sports, that was in a bubble, with incredible resources available for testing and sanitation. Colleges can't begin to duplicate that.

It doesn't guarantee anything. Just because a school could bring players back doesn't mean they have the finances for the additional scholarships that would be required.

citay said:

Wish all this wasn't so but I can wait.

This is one depressed board.

If Mack Anderson had the same energy we have, he wouldn't be able to dunk.

citay said:
This is one depressed board.

If Mack Anderson had the same energy we have, he wouldn't be able to dunk.

On or about Nov.4/5 I will do a windmill for you.

citay said:

The other big news was the NCAA eliminated the year sit-out period for transfers. Here’s what I think it all means for Montana:

1. Because Montana doesn’t yet have a commitment for next year, they could bring back the exact same team next year without any additional cost, although I suspect Satterwhite and Steadman after already redshirting a year will want to move on.

2. The end of high school recruiting. Why take a chance on an unproven freshman, when you can get D-1 transfers that can play immediately, particularly from higher level schools looking to move down? Montana has a great environment and infrastructure so should be in a great position to add talent.

GrizBall said:
citay said:

The other big news was the NCAA eliminated the year sit-out period for transfers. Here’s what I think it all means for Montana:

1. Because Montana doesn’t yet have a commitment for next year, they could bring back the exact same team next year without any additional cost, although I suspect Satterwhite and Steadman after already redshirting a year will want to move on.

2. The end of high school recruiting. Why take a chance on an unproven freshman, when you can get D-1 transfers that can play immediately, particularly from higher level schools looking to move down? Montana has a great environment and infrastructure so should be in a great position to add talent.

Interesting thought on possible impact on high school recruiting.

GrizBall said:
citay said:

The greatest time of your lives why not stay and where would you go, to work in the real world.

fanofzoo said:
GrizBall said:

The greatest time of your lives why not stay and where would you go, to work in the real world.

Mostly I would agree with you, but both have already graduated and I have no doubt Steadman will be able to make money overseas playing and a good year from Satterwhite would likely allow him to do the same. In my humble opinion another year at UM likely doesn't change that equation all that much for either one of them.

Back