• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Choate to Texas Now?

The only real thing that Choate accomplished was the 4-0 record against the Griz, but I guess that would make him a god-like persona in Catsville. I mean the guy couldn't beat Sacramento State (0-2), Weber State (0-3) or Eastern Washington (0-3).

I wonder if the in state recruits stay with MSU ? If any were on the bubble, it might be enough to push them toward the Griz....

krammer said:
I wonder if the in state recruits stay with MSU ? If any were on the bubble, it might be enough to push them toward the Griz....

Curious about this as well.

On one hand a national search might obtain a quality coach with head coaching experience. But you run the risk of losing recruits and current players.

On the other hand, giving the job to an assistant like Kane might be enough to retain those players because the system and culture will go unchanged. The risk is hiring a guy with no head coaching experience.

I have a feeling boosters will push hard for Ioane. Big hire for Leon but he has a good track record so far so I’ll trust and support his choice.

Does anyone think that maybe Choach, who had never been a HC outside of high school FB, maybe just didn’t like being a HC? He’s clearly more of a “gym shorts/whistle/Chili’s happy hour” guy than a “obsess over an entire program” guy. Some genius on here even mentioned that he has a position coach personality.

Selfishly, I genuinely hope Ioane takes the Boise job. I like him, and I can’t envision a situation where I could make fun of him. Bozeman needs to bring in another dullard to make it fun. Your move, Costello. Do the right thing.

Anyone ever notice how Choach looks (and acts) like an unkept Trump?

4v105x.jpg

CDA brings up a good point. All along cat fans have been saying that Choate loves being a head coach and has no desire to anything else besides run his own show. I just watched Choachs press conference that Colter posted, and he made it sound like he’s looking forward to no longer being a head coach. He said that he was looking forward to coaching again and not having to do all the administrative and fundraising stuff that comes with being a head coach. I kinda kept waiting for one of the reporters to ask him if he wanted to be a head coach again but nobody did.

ilovethecats said:
krammer said:

On one hand a national search might obtain a quality coach with head coaching experience. But you run the risk of losing recruits and current players.

On the other hand, giving the job to an assistant like Kane might be enough to retain those players because the system and culture will go unchanged. The risk is hiring a guy with no head coaching experience.

I have a feeling boosters will push hard for Ioane. Big hire for Leon but he has a good track record so far so I’ll trust and support his choice.

Most, if not all, the instate players signed National Letter of Intent in early signing period, right? They can’t go anywhere.

CDAGRIZ said:
Does anyone think that maybe Choach, who had never been a HC outside of high school FB, maybe just didn’t like being a HC? He’s clearly more of a “gym shorts/whistle/Chili’s happy hour” guy than a “obsess over an entire program” guy. Some genius on here even mentioned that he has a position coach personality.

Selfishly, I genuinely hope Ioane takes the Boise job. I like him, and I can’t envision a situation where I could make fun of him. Bozeman needs to bring in another dullard to make it fun. Your move, Costello. Do the right thing.
Not sure where the idea came from that he has a position coach mentally. I think he's not the right guy to be a position coach or coordinator. I question his x and o's capabilities. His strong suit is obviously front man, salesman and culture builder, not strategic game planning. I thought that was obvious to anyone paying attention.

WaGriz4life said:
ilovethecats said:

Most, if not all, the instate players signed National Letter of Intent in early signing period, right? They can’t go anywhere.

Not immediately. They most certainly can leave if they come into a system and coach completely different then what they signed up for. Kids leave schools all the time. I must be missing what you’re saying.

Finally caught up to my neighbor. He played it cool, like this was expected. He said it’s a good thing because now the prodigal son, Kane “I-own-the-Griz”, can take over.

I told him that proves my point—that it really has nothing to do with the sCats and everything to do with The Griz. And Kane is not stupid. He knows Choach benefited from the worst era of Griz FB in modern history. Going forward, would Kane be more likely to go 4-0 vs The Griz like Choach, or 2-7 like The Honorable Ron Ash?

He did seem to think there is something rotten in Bozmark. Like a behind the scenes issue between Choach and Admin which he could not really describe and that’s why Choach beat-feet for the door so fast without informing the team, and after all his reassuring.

I tried to pry it out of him, but the only evidence he could offer was that there had to be some issue; otherwise Choach would never have left the team holding the bag.

garizzalies said:
Finally caught up to my neighbor. He played it cool, like this was expected. He said it’s a good thing because now the prodigal son, Kane “I-own-the-Griz”, can take over.

I told him that proves my point—that it really has nothing to do with the sCats and everything to do with The Griz. And Kane is not stupid. He knows Choach benefited from the worst era of Griz FB in modern history. Going forward, would Kane be more likely to go 4-0 vs The Griz like Choach, or 2-7 like The Honorable Ron Ash?

He did seem to think there is something rotten in Bozmark. Like a behind the scenes issue between Choach and Admin which he could not really describe and that’s why Choach beat-feet for the door so fast without informing the team, and after all his reassuring.

I tried to pry it out of him, but the only evidence he could offer was that there had to be some issue; otherwise Choach would never have left the team holding the bag.
Kane gone too it looks like. Be interesting to see what names come up in the search. Hoping to retain some key members of the staff.

ilovethecats said:
WaGriz4life said:

Not immediately. They most certainly can leave if they come into a system and coach completely different then what they signed up for. Kids leave schools all the time. I must be missing what you’re saying.

Not so sure that is true. Players have been let out of LOI due to coaching changes. It happens all the time. This generally requires to the school to let them out, but makes sense when a player may feel mislead. An example, the case of a head coach telling a recruit They have unfinished business here and no imminent plans to leave, and then they leave.

ChesterGriz said:
garizzalies said:
Anyone ever notice how Choach looks (and acts) like an unkept Trump?

4v105x.jpg
Take it to the politics board Jacka$$.
What the hell do you mean?
What politics board? You mean the goofy 52-page thread just above/below this one?
I’m talking about Griz Football and The FCS and how one of its coaches looks kind of like a famous person, but just a bit fatter and crazier. Tell me you haven’t seen that exact same expression?

Back