• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Choate to Texas Now?

indian-outlaw said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Does anyone think that maybe Choach, who had never been a HC outside of high school FB, maybe just didn’t like being a HC? He’s clearly more of a “gym shorts/whistle/Chili’s happy hour” guy than a “obsess over an entire program” guy. Some genius on here even mentioned that he has a position coach personality.

Selfishly, I genuinely hope Ioane takes the Boise job. I like him, and I can’t envision a situation where I could make fun of him. Bozeman needs to bring in another dullard to make it fun. Your move, Costello. Do the right thing.
Not sure where the idea came from that he has a position coach mentally. I think he's not the right guy to be a position coach or coordinator. I question his x and o's capabilities. His strong suit is obviously front man, salesman and culture builder, not strategic game planning. I thought that was obvious to anyone paying attention.

Hmm, I guess UT disagrees.

CDAGRIZ said:
indian-outlaw said:
Not sure where the idea came from that he has a position coach mentally. I think he's not the right guy to be a position coach or coordinator. I question his x and o's capabilities. His strong suit is obviously front man, salesman and culture builder, not strategic game planning. I thought that was obvious to anyone paying attention.

Yep, and it will be interesting to see how he does. He wouldn't be my choice for DC, or even lb Coach but I would love to send him out on the recruiting circut to talk to kids and parents.

indian-outlaw said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Yep, and it will be interesting to see how he does. He wouldn't be my choice for DC, or even lb Coach but I would love to send him out on the recruiting circut to talk to kids and parents.

Are you under the impression that the HC does most of the boots on the ground recruiting in CFB? :lol: Choach is set up for exactly what you think he does best.

garizzalies said:
Finally caught up to my neighbor. He played it cool, like this was expected. He said it’s a good thing because now the prodigal son, Kane “I-own-the-Griz”, can take over.

I told him that proves my point—that it really has nothing to do with the sCats and everything to do with The Griz. And Kane is not stupid. He knows Choach benefited from the worst era of Griz FB in modern history. Going forward, would Kane be more likely to go 4-0 vs The Griz like Choach, or 2-7 like The Honorable Ron Ash?

He did seem to think there is something rotten in Bozmark. Like a behind the scenes issue between Choach and Admin which he could not really describe and that’s why Choach beat-feet for the door so fast without informing the team, and after all his reassuring.

I tried to pry it out of him, but the only evidence he could offer was that there had to be some issue; otherwise Choach would never have left the team holding the bag.

I wonder if they were about to be slapped with some violations and that’s why they both bailed?

Could be a possibility....

Can you imagine the bar tab after a Sark/Choach MILF camp @UT? The Tequila alone will be greater than UM’s total athletic budget.

AKGriz72 said:
I wonder if they were about to be slapped with some violations and that’s why they both bailed?

I believe people are way over thinking why he left.

CDAGRIZ said:
indian-outlaw said:

Are you under the impression that the HC does most of the boots on the ground recruiting in CFB? :lol: Choach is set up for exactly what you think he does best.
I said his strong suit is recruiting, creating culture, promoting the program and public speaking. He is not particularly strong on coaching X's and O's or developing players. I don't think he will shine as a DC nor a lb Coach. Sorry you don't understand. Not everybody has the ability to see and comprehend. And yes, the HC certainly does show his face on the recruiting trail. Again, something not everyone knows.

grizindabox said:
AKGriz72 said:

Agreed. Way more money; much less responsibility. That’s about it.

indian-outlaw said:
CDAGRIZ said:
I said his strong suit is recruiting, creating culture, promoting the program and public speaking. He is not particularly strong on coaching X's and O's or developing players. I don't think he will shine as a DC nor a lb Coach. Sorry you don't understand. Not everybody has the ability to see and comprehend. And yes, the HC certainly does show his face on the recruiting trail. Again, something not everyone knows.

K. Said “most”, but, K :thumb:
Edit: LMK which P5 programs you worked for literally focusing on recruiting practices.

CDAGRIZ said:
grizindabox said:

Agreed. Way more money; much less responsibility. That’s about it.
Exactly! Does anyone think it’s a coincidence Choach is jumping from the FCS’s most delusional fan base to the FBS’s most delusional fan base?
No of course not. That’s what con men do. It’s about picking the perfect mark and never staying in one town longer than 5 years

Idaho Statesman says the safeties coach position was offered to some guy at LSU, but that job paid $460K, not $350K.

Who was the last boobcat coach to move up to FBS? Sweeny in the 60s? 60 years ago?

The last 10 or so boobcoaches have all been fired or retired. Choach saw the writing on the wall and skipped town. No way he was taking the boobies any higher than last year‘s high water mark.

Sucks he could not take the time to tell the team to their face—but worst of all—he left all the assistants high and dry. It’s one thing not to tell your employees before you bankrupt the company, but your partners? Wow. That’s low.

garizzalies said:
Who was the last boobcat coach to move up to FBS? Sweeny in the 60s? 60 years ago?

The last 10 or so boobcoaches have all been fired or retired. Choach saw the writing on the wall and skipped town. No way he was taking the boobies any higher than last year‘s high water mark.

Sucks he could not take the time to tell the team to their face—but worst of all—he left all the assistants high and dry. It’s one thing not to tell your employees before you bankrupt the company, but your partners? Wow. That’s low.

The great Sonny Lubick comes to mind.

Costello has indicated to those close to the program that retaining MSU's current coaches is a priority.

https://www.montanasports.com/spo...or-kane-ioane-set-to-join-boise-state-staff

When has that ever worked? Doing a nation search to find someone willing to accept the left-over assistants? Seems like a recipe for disaster.

But so does Choach and Sark teaming up @ UT, with or without the Tequila. Like if I tried to make that joke a week ago people would have called me crazy.

Begs the question. Who do you think lasts longer—Choach at UT or the next boobcoach? Over/under for both is about 3.5 years. I’ll take the over for MSMoo and the under for UT.

Hmm. I'd say the grizz improved to at least even odds next game.

Choate knew he was going to beat the grizz. The players believed it too. As a guy that watched live (nearly) each and every grizz win during the streak, I saw first hand how you can't underestimate the importance of walking onto the field and believing, to your core, you were going to win that day. I'm not sure the next guy can capture it in the same way Choate did. Kane had a chance, and I would have supported him as HC, but now he's gone too.

This hurts.

Who do you think was insisting on drinking $9 “Absolute Cosmos” and “Cadillacs” and eating $45 “Filet mignon” while the rest of the boys got “street tocos” and “Coors light”?
I know who I suspect.

go96griz said:
ilovethecats said:
Not immediately. They most certainly can leave if they come into a system and coach completely different then what they signed up for. Kids leave schools all the time. I must be missing what you’re saying.

Not so sure that is true. Players have been let out of LOI due to coaching changes. It happens all the time. This generally requires to the school to let them out, but makes sense when a player may feel mislead. An example, the case of a head coach telling a recruit They have unfinished business here and no imminent plans to leave, and then they leave.
Yes. I think we were saying the exact same thing.

Dmontanagrizzlies said:
garizzalies said:

The great Sonny Lubick comes to mind.
True, but those dummies fired Sonny Lubick.

Just watched Choaches’es farewell zoom call. Like all his pressers, it was hilarious, entertaining, and cringy all at once. He looked giddy and not down at all.

He said the decision to leave MSMoo was a “slam dunk.” And he quoted his favorite band—REO Speedwagon—“I think it’s time for me to fly!”

He was essentially asked what was his main takeaway from being the HC in Blowsmen, and he said wherever he goes he will “be able to say [he] never lost to Montana.” Thus, his main takeaway had more to do with UM than MSMoo.

He was asked about “unfinished business” and he vaguely referenced some things “on the horizon” with the NCAA and BSC. Sounded super suspicious to me.

Only got one tough question and he refused to address it—the admitted cronyism between him and the UW DC.

Back