• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Holsinger/Haslam Massacre

Status
Not open for further replies.
PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
They hired Shannon, a person with ties to the LG program, which led to now. Did they hire the wrong person, yep, but the ties to the program isn't a negative with the new hire.

Who care if it is unprecedented or not, it was the direction the new coach thought was necessary, and I don't have any issue with it.

I think not having ties to the program is a problem, but it's not insurmountable, of course.

Sorry, but unprecedented is a problem for the program, and not something that people like me will support. He went too far. Everyone I've talked to who is historically close the program, is surprised and says the immediate cuts went too far,. How do you think Shannon's LG friends/supporters view the cuts? Is the new coach going to be able to raise money from them in the near future?

Those Shannon LG supporters left the program a year ago. If they were financial supporters before she was terminated, they stopped at that point, and they wont be in the future.

Can someone please explain how all of these players leaving that couldn’t contribute to a bad team, and were only given one D-1 offer out of HS is a big deal? Perhaps they shouldn’t have been at this level in the first place? And would you rather have Holsinger keep the players for a year knowing he has no intention of playing them just to move them on next summer?

UMFan12 said:
Can someone please explain how all of these players leaving that couldn’t contribute to a bad team, and were only given one D-1 offer out of HS is a big deal? Perhaps they shouldn’t have been at this level in the first place? And would you rather have Holsinger keep the players for a year knowing he has no intention of playing them just to move them on next summer?

Wouldn't be a mindblower if Holsigner cleared the end of his bench, so that he could replace them, on the bench, with the current Lady Griz. And bring in a whole bunch of better players to take their minutes?? :lol:

PlayerRep said:
goatcreekgriz said:
But it’s not a massacre.

It was a massacre. Unprecedented in d-1 women’s Basketball as far as I know.

Whether it is unprecedented as far as you know has nothing to do with whether it is a massacre. And you know it. For someone who consistently plays the Native American card, this terminology is tone deaf, to put it charitably.

It appears things may not have been handled in the best manner. However, I attended UM, obtained a degree there, and will continue to support the team (just like I did during the Stitt clown show). You can do whatever you want, but calling it massacre is total horseshit.

I’m out.

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
They hired Shannon, a person with ties to the LG program, which led to now. Did they hire the wrong person, yep, but the ties to the program isn't a negative with the new hire.

Who care if it is unprecedented or not, it was the direction the new coach thought was necessary, and I don't have any issue with it.

I think not having ties to the program is a problem, but it's not insurmountable, of course.

Sorry, but unprecedented is a problem for the program, and not something that people like me will support. He went too far. Everyone I've talked to who is historically close the program, is surprised and says the immediate cuts went too far,. How do you think Shannon's LG friends/supporters view the cuts? Is the new coach going to be able to raise money from them in the near future?

Most of the people you talk to must not post much to this forum because you seem the only poster calling this an "unprecedented massacre". Most other supporters and posters are probably a little surprised, but also a little excited, thinking we've got a new coach who understands what it will take to return this program to the top of the conference and into the NCAA tournament.

Why don't you and the rest of your "historical" Lady Griz boosters go bitch and moan with each other at the Senior Citizen Center? Or Fort Missoula "Historical" Museum?

HelenaHandBasket said:
I am also someone that has seen Joelnell play, and was never a believer that she was a D1 player. The main reason was she is not super athletic and a liability on the defensive end of the floor. She is a shooter, but I believe she would struggle getting her own shot with the quickness of D1 defenders. I think she could be a terrific D2 or NAIA player though.

Did you drive over to CDA to see her play as a senior? You don't know what you are talking about. And you are a dick.

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:
You are a liar. I can tell by your comments that you have never seen her play. Your posting has always been marginal.

Half a dozen times her senior year. How many times have you seen her play?

You watched her play in Idaho?

goatcreekgriz said:
If I were to say we should “circle the wagons”around Holsinger/Haslem in their effort, I would rightfully be accused of using racially-charged language to support/defend a viewpoint. The use of “massacre” is no different.

Not true.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
PlayerRep said:
What the new coach did has put these players in a tough spot. They weren't in the recruiting/looking mode, so are out of that loop. Plus, the cutting will taint them for awhile. They will probably have to work their way up, unless they get lucky and find a good landing spot. I don't know how much room Carroll might have for the some of them or the Schweyens in particular. I look forward to schools like Carroll and Western tasking on the LG in the future, if the new coach would take that risk. Maybe Petrino should take them to Angelo St and make that school a power for that level. Also, I didn't say any of these players would be impact players for the LG next year; just that some deserved to be kept on the team.
I think I fall more along the lines of Players opinion on this. I feel pretty bad for the Ladies who were let go - and am somewhat disappointed / stunned at the sheer amount that were let go. I feel Holsinger has put himself (and the ladies still on the roster) in a really tough spot needlessly. Seems like he's gambling on his coaching and recruiting ability to get the ship turned around. Time will quickly tell whether this hire will get the Lady Griz back to prominence or continue their slide to the middle of the pack or lower in the Big Sky Conference.

Yup, I agree. I think the new coach will bring in some good players, but that doesn't assure things will be good in LG nation. How will the remaining players react? How will the LG fans and former players who liked Shannon (and her daughters) react. How about the ones loyal to Petrino? How about various MT high school players, their parents, and some MT coaches? How about fans like myself, who believes that sport, especially at UM, should be better than slash and burn, and cut via zoom? (Who's going to support the dance team?). I've told Krista Redpath what I think (and have known her for decades). I've weighed in with Bodnar. I will be curious to see how loyal LG fans warm up to the new LG.

Which of you are weighing in with Bodnar and Haslam, saying great job on cutting 6 players via zoom. That's what we're all about here at UM. Who cares that Selvig gave many women a chance, including many Native Americans, and those women responded and became very good players. Are you glad that the House that Rob Built is falling by the wayside.

maroonandsilver said:
PlayerRep said:

Those Shannon LG supporters left the program a year ago. If they were financial supporters before she was terminated, they stopped at that point, and they wont be in the future.

Note true. For example, many former LG who liked Shannon stayed with the program. Now, there has been more turmoil with what is occurring and with the cutting of the Schweyens.

goatcreekgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
It was a massacre. Unprecedented in d-1 women’s Basketball as far as I know.

Whether it is unprecedented as far as you know has nothing to do with whether it is a massacre. And you know it. For someone who consistently plays the Native American card, this terminology is tone deaf, to put it charitably.

It appears things may not have been handled in the best manner. However, I attended UM, obtained a degree there, and will continue to support the team (just like I did during the Stitt clown show). You can do whatever you want, but calling it massacre is total horseshit.

I’m out.

Massacres are not a Native American thing. Massacres are international and involves all types of people and races. I certainly didn't choose the word because there was a Native American on the team. I can see by your comments that you are ignorant and probably borderline racist,. I have seen that in your posts over the years.

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Most of the people you talk to must not post much to this forum because you seem the only poster calling this an "unprecedented massacre". Most other supporters and posters are probably a little surprised, but also a little excited, thinking we've got a new coach who understands what it will take to return this program to the top of the conference and into the NCAA tournament.

Why don't you and the rest of your "historical" Lady Griz boosters go bitch and moan with each other at the Senior Citizen Center? Or Fort Missoula "Historical" Museum?

I will be sticking around here, making comments, while you look for typos in posts. And certainly pointing out your dumb posts.

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
I am also someone that has seen Joelnell play, and was never a believer that she was a D1 player. The main reason was she is not super athletic and a liability on the defensive end of the floor. She is a shooter, but I believe she would struggle getting her own shot with the quickness of D1 defenders. I think she could be a terrific D2 or NAIA player though.

Did you drive over to CDA to see her play as a senior? You don't know what you are talking about. And you are a dick.

Actually she did not play in CDA, and I live within 10 blocks of where she did play at Mead. So you quit being a pompous dick.

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:

Actually she did not play in CDA, and I live within 10 blocks of where she did play at Mead. So you quit being a pompous dick.

You are correct. She was in Spokane. Which games did you see her play in?

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:
You watched her play in Idaho?

She wasn't in Idaho you moron.

I just asked you if you say her play in Idaho.

Why does it bug you so much that I am being a critic of the new coaching stuff? Does the truth hurt. I seem to have completely unsettled you. You are a huge dick.

From a Missoulian article last Nov:

"The difference from last year's practices is we play a lot more," said junior forward Abby Anderson, one of three returning starters along with guards Sophia Stiles and Madi Schoening. "We're doing little competitions all the time, and it's building everyone's competitive side up.

"Then at the end, when we are scrimmaging, it gets scrappy and words are exchanged. That's different for us, but I like it. We're learning to be a lot more gritty. We're going to need grit and sass to make up for the players we lost."

"All of our five true freshmen are super competitive and they don't back down at all," Anderson said of a group that includes Montana natives Willa Albrecht, Kyndall Keller, Joelnell Momberg and Karsen Murphy and Portland's Bria Dixson.

"They're super vocal. It's a different freshman group than I've ever seen. They're confident. I think that's really cool."

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/grit-and-sass-new-look-montana-lady-griz-doing-lots-of-competing-in-practice/article_eb15f7dc-1bee-5a9b-a594-581d64c255c1.html

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

The irony of you calling literally anyone a "dick" is outright hilarious. You are by pretty much every eGrizzer's standards the King Kong of dickheads in entire the history of this board. You come on here daily to argue for sport with strangers simply because you enjoy the fall sense of superiority it gives you.

I wonder what would happen to your mental health if this board was somehow taken away from you.

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Why does it bug you so much that I am being a critic of the new coaching stuff? Does the truth hurt. I seem to have completely unsettled you. You are a huge dick.

It is just funny that you call me a liar about seeing her play, yet you didn't even know where she was playing until I corrected you. You are a clueless twit and are just complaining to complain. Such a moron.

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I found this funny. I have seen no truth in a single post of yours in this entire thread. Just conjecture that pretty much every single other poster has disagreed with you on. You’re assuming that the cut girls are D1 material. Besides UM offering them, what other D1 schools offered and where are the current D1 schools offering these girls now that they’re free to go wherever they want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back