• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Holsinger/Haslam Massacre

Status
Not open for further replies.
alabamagrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:
I just asked you if you say her play in Idaho.

Why does it bug you so much that I am being a critic of the new coaching stuff? Does the truth hurt. I seem to have completely unsettled you. You are a huge dick.

I found this funny. I have seen no truth in a single post of yours in this entire thread. Just conjecture that pretty much every single other poster has disagreed with you on. You’re assuming that the cut girls are D1 material. Besides UM offering them, what other D1 schools offered and where are the current D1 schools offering these girls now that they’re free to go wherever they want?

In the various threads, I was right on number of cuts. Said team was unaware of cuts as of Thursday a week ago. Was first to say they done by zoom. First to say Campbell was offered first by Haslam. Some verification of that. Provided some info on quality of some me frosh, which was previously told to me by Petrino. Provided info on frosh from other LG. Said Petrino would help place them, The Schweyen girls were D-I and showed it. Injuries hampered them. By definition, all players on the team have been D-I. Pointed the large cuts in first week were unprecedented as far as I know.

I have commented on potential impacts on the LG. I have communicated directly and indirectly with people on the committee including Redpath, emailed Bodnar, talked to Petrino several times, talked to Duce, communicated with one or more parents directly or indirectly, talked to various former LG, talked to other big LG fans, talked to a major UM athletic donor, communicated with some former UM administrators including a former AD, etc. Gave you a minor geography lesson.

What info have you provided? Who have you talked to?

alabamagrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:

Why does it bug you so much that I am being a critic of the new coaching stuff? Does the truth hurt. I seem to have completely unsettled you. You are a huge dick.

I found this funny. I have seen no truth in a single post of yours in this entire thread. Just conjecture that pretty much every single other poster has disagreed with you on. You’re assuming that the cut girls are D1 material. Besides UM offering them, what other D1 schools offered and where are the current D1 schools offering these girls now that they’re free to go wherever they want?

How many D-I offers does the new LG recruit from Germany have?

I see in an article that "Keller, who chose UM over Carroll College."

Also, another article on Albrecht: ""I’m just really excited to go play there," Albrecht said. "I think it’s a good fit for me, and it should be fun."

"Though no other college extended an offer, Albrecht said she received interest from several schools, including Black Hills Stat,... Montana State did not reach out to her, she said."

Does that make these two LG not D-I quality? You seem not to realize that many LG had only one D-I offer, in part because they only wanted to play for the LG.

PlayerRep said:
Griz til I die said:
Dude you’re acting like he cut all the best players. Why don’t you tell me which players specifically were deserving of staying?

I am not acting like he cut the best players. Don't call me dude, and learn how to read. I would not have cut Momberg. I have followed her since high school and talked to coaches about her. I don't think I would have cut the Schweyens either, subject to knowing more about injuries, etc. I didn't follow the others closely enough to have an opinion. I had heard the coaches thought some of the other frosh had potential, but would need a bit longer to make an impact.

I am going to say it........Joelele Momberg would have never been a starter for the Lady Griz and at best, would have been towards the end of the bench as she approached her senior year so I support the new coaches decision to move on. And to answer your question, I have seen her play as my daughter has played against her. The bottom line is that the Lady Griz need to get top talent in Montana and not settle for the "top tier" talent as we have over the last five seasons. If you look at the roster the past five years or so, we have not been able to secure the best Montana players in the state.

gregko22 said:
PlayerRep said:
I am not acting like he cut the best players. Don't call me dude, and learn how to read. I would not have cut Momberg. I have followed her since high school and talked to coaches about her. I don't think I would have cut the Schweyens either, subject to knowing more about injuries, etc. I didn't follow the others closely enough to have an opinion. I had heard the coaches thought some of the other frosh had potential, but would need a bit longer to make an impact.

I am going to say it........Joelele Momberg would have never been a starter for the Lady Griz and at best, would have been towards the end of the bench as she approached her senior year so I support the new coaches decision to move on. And to answer your question, I have seen her play as my daughter has played against her. The bottom line is that the Lady Griz need to get top talent in Montana and not settle for the "top tier" talent as we have over the last five seasons. If you look at the roster the past five years or so, we have not been able to secure the best Montana players in the state.

I disagree with you in Momberg’s being at end of bench her senior year. Several of her coaches in the last couple years disagree with you two. Her name is Joelnell not Joelele.

Did you see her hit 10 three pointers against Pickens-led Helena at Griz team after Helena had won the state championship? When Momberg has just finished her sophomore year. You know the Griz offered her at that team camp, and she accepted the next week.

One more thing? Do you know anything about basketball?

I did some quick research so might not be 100% correct. But just from a two minute search, looks like North Dakota, Northern Colorado, and Portland State had about as many players or more enter the transfer portal. So looks like this is common when a new coach comes in.

The six players that were cut are listed in this article. Karsen Murphy has already committed somewhere. She didn't specify where.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/six-players-leave-lady-griz-including-schweyens-and-two-other-montana-raised-women/article_ad2523d0-ac3e-5b6b-87bf-6d67c0e99fd4.html

TrueGriz said:
The six players that were cut are listed in this article. Karsen Murphy has already committed somewhere. She didn't specify where.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/six-players-leave-lady-griz-including-schweyens-and-two-other-montana-raised-women/article_ad2523d0-ac3e-5b6b-87bf-6d67c0e99fd4.html

Article says Chattanooga Mocs. Div I

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
She wasn't in Idaho you moron.

I am surprised pr has not asked you what color of shoe laces she was wearing lol.

ordigger said:
TrueGriz said:

Article was updated since I provided that link.

TrueGriz said:
ordigger said:

Article was updated since I provided that link.

The new coach will probably make some covid excuse for the zoom calls, but I note that I saw and asked to the Schweyens and Anderson downtown on Thurs. night, less than 48 hours before the cuts. They certainly didn't have covid or quarantine. I assume the press should ask the new coach where he did the calls from. Wouldn't surprise me if it was Oregon. Don't think Jordan was on the calls. Hope not.

PlayerRep said:
gregko22 said:

I disagree with you in Momberg’s being at end of bench her senior year. Several of her coaches in the last couple years disagree with you two. Her name is Joelnell not Joelele.

Did you see her hit 10 three pointers against Pickens-led Helena at Griz team after Helena had won the state championship? When Momberg has just finished her sophomore year. You know the Griz offered her at that team camp, and she accepted the next week.

I'm assuming your missing word in this post is "camp" right after "Griz team". As usual, pretty tough to string a couple sentences together for you without something going awry. So for your benefit I inserted "camp" where you forgot to.....then laughed even more. Wow! A team camp game against a Pickens-led team. Isn't Pickens an NAIA player? And she got hot and made 10 3s? Wow! Was Helena playing like it was the State Championship game or like it was a summer team camp game where the defense and intensity rarely matches regular season? Pretty small sample you are looking at. A "team camp" game in June. Did you ever play the game and get a hot hand shooting? Did one team camp game really convince you of her D1 talent? Others on here who watched her play more than you have questioned athleticism and ability to defend. There is more to D1 college basketball than 3 point shots in summer camp games!

BDizzle said:
I did some quick research so might not be 100% correct. But just from a two minute search, looks like North Dakota, Northern Colorado, and Portland State had about as many players or more enter the transfer portal. So looks like this is common when a new coach comes in.

You need to determine if players were cut, not use who enters the portal. Big difference. It's not common, and perhaps never have been done, to cut the scholarships of half of the team.

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:

I'm assuming your missing word in this post is "camp" right after "Griz team". As usual, pretty tough to string a couple sentences together for you without something going awry. So for your benefit I inserted "camp" where you forgot to.....then laughed even more. Wow! A team camp game against a Pickens-led team. Isn't Pickens an NAIA player? And she got hot and made 10 3s? Wow! Was Helena playing like it was the State Championship game or like it was a summer team camp game where the defense and intensity rarely matches regular season? Pretty small sample you are looking at. A "team camp" game in June. Did you ever play the game and get a hot hand shooting? Did one team camp game really convince you of her D1 talent? Others on here who watched her play more than you have questioned athleticism and ability to defend. There is more to D1 college basketball than 3 point shots in summer camp games!

PIckens was the Gatorade Player of the Year and led a AA state champion team. She is clearly D-I quality.

Is your sense for basketball stunted by your having to watch your son sit on the bench of a non-
D-I school for so long?

Others who claim to have watched Momberg don't know what they're talking about. Her prior coaches know a lot more. If the criteria for hoops expertise is to have had a daughter play basketball, then I qualify. Had a captain and mvp at CMR. I say Momberg is D-I quality. I guess that decides the question.

If there is any possible way to bring this discussion on Momberg (D-1 or not D-1) to a conclusion, it will be who picks her up. I'm sure PR will let us know.

PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:

PIckens was the Gatorade Player of the Year and led a AA state champion team. She is clearly D-I quality.

Is your sense for basketball stunted by your having to watch your son sit on the bench of a non-
D-I school for so long?

Others who claim to have watched Momberg don't know what they're talking about. Her prior coaches know a lot more. If the criteria for hoops expertise is to have had a daughter play basketball, then I qualify. Had a captain and mvp at CMR. I say Momberg is D-I quality. I guess that decides the question.

My son scored 35 or so in the post season MT High School all division all star tourney championship game in Billings. It sounds pretty similar to Momberg's big game against the Helena High team with the amazing future NAIA center Pickens. He probably faced stiffer competition in that game. It was also a postseason summer game. He was a good player and got real hot that night!

He was not D1 material then and ended up not being much of a factor at an NAIA school as well. He could (and can) shoot it but some leg issues and overall athleticism "got" him at the college level. Not to mention a couple younger teammates at his position that became NAIA All Americans. Stuck it out 4 years. Got his degree moved into the real world where he is making a life for himself. Coach liked and kept him and he was an integral teammate who practiced and studied hard. Graduated in 4 years. Played on teams that went to 3 national tournaments and won games there. Teammates and coach always credited he and a couple other "bench warmers" for their attitudes and basketball skills that made a national caliber team "better" every day in practice. I'm very proud if him as I'm sure you are of your own kids.

My sense for basketball is fine. Your digs at my kid over the years aren't!

PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:

D-I school for so long?

Her former coaches at UM thought so much of Momberg that they played her for a grand total of 29 minutes for the season. The least of anyone on the team (Mills was next to last with 47 minutes). She played 11 of those minutes in the College of Idaho game, won by the Lady Griz 61-33. So, for all the other games she played (less than half of the total Lady Griz games), she played 18 minutes. They played her in less than half the games. She had a total of 14 points for the season, 9 of which came in the game against College of Idaho. Hardly looks to me like the coaches had much confidence in her.

maroonandsilver said:
If there is any possible way to bring this discussion on Momberg (D-1 or not D-1) to a conclusion, it will be who picks her up. I'm sure PR will let us know.

No, it won't be decided until the end of her career.

This is fukcing hilarious. If Hauck had done this -- wait, he DID! - pr would be going all apeshit about how important it was to bring on "his" guys, Montana tough guys. No different here. A coach is going to get players that fit his/her style and mental attitude.

Looking forward to an LG season for the first time in years.

goatcreekgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
It was a massacre. Unprecedented in d-1 women’s Basketball as far as I know.

Whether it is unprecedented as far as you know has nothing to do with whether it is a massacre. And you know it. For someone who consistently plays the Native American card, this terminology is tone deaf, to put it charitably.

It appears things may not have been handled in the best manner. However, I attended UM, obtained a degree there, and will continue to support the team (just like I did during the Stitt clown show). You can do whatever you want, but calling it massacre is total horseshit.

I’m out.

Whitesplaining is the best. You tell that Indian, white guy!

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:

D-I school for so long?

My son scored 35 or so in the post season MT High School all division all star tourney championship game in Billings. It sounds pretty similar to Momberg's big game against the Helena High team with the amazing future NAIA center Pickens. He probably faced stiffer competition in that game. It was also a postseason summer game. He was a good player and got real hot that night!

He was not D1 material then and ended up not being much of a factor at an NAIA school as well. He could (and can) shoot it but some leg issues and overall athleticism "got" him at the college level. Not to mention a couple younger teammates at his position that became NAIA All Americans. Stuck it out 4 years. Got his degree moved into the real world where he is making a life for himself. Coach liked and kept him and he was an integral teammate who practiced and studied hard. Graduated in 4 years. Played on teams that went to 3 national tournaments and won games there. Teammates and coach always credited he and a couple other "bench warmers" for their attitudes and basketball skills that made a national caliber team "better" every day in practice. I'm very proud if him as I'm sure you are of your own kids.

My sense for basketball is fine. Your digs at my kid over the years aren't!

So he was a crappy player for his NAIA team, probably should have been in intra-murals, yet the coach didn’t cut him. That’s loyalty and respectable. Cutting players via Zoom days after taking a job is going to cause some pushback, even if it’s the correct move.

The awkwardly athletic 6’3” German had better be All-Big Sky given how proud Holsinger is of her signing. It’s not her fault, either, but she needs to produce right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back