• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

DeAri Todd-Transfer possibility from Michigan State

GrizSpartan

DONOR
I read on eGriz that the Griz staff have been recruiting DeAri Todd, who is in the transfer portal. So, I started poking around with one of the websites which centers on Michigan State football. A friend of DeAri Todd just wrote that the Griz have offered a scholarship. DeAri is from Loraine, Ohio and was a 3 star recruit when he signed with MSU. I believe Todd has 2 years of eligibility. Other schools have contacted him as well. He wants to attend a school where he can pursue his dream of becoming a physical therapist. I wrote back to the Spartan fan and noted that we have a fine PT school here. I mentioned that the GRIZ and DeAri may be a great match.

It might be something for us to keep our eye on. Many Ohio football players know the game very well and know how to bring it on the field.

GrizSpartan said:
I read on eGriz that the Griz staff have been recruiting DeAri Todd, who is in the transfer portal. So, I started poking around with one of the websites which centers on Michigan State football. A friend of DeAri Todd just wrote that the Griz have offered a scholarship. DeAri is from Loraine, Ohio and was a 3 star recruit when he signed with MSU. I believe Todd has 2 years of eligibility. Other schools have contacted him as well. He wants to attend a school where he can pursue his dream of becoming a physical therapist. I wrote back to the Spartan fan and noted that we have a fine PT school here. I mentioned that the GRIZ and DeAri may be a great match.

It might be something for us to keep our eye on. Many Ohio football players know the game very well and know how to bring it on the field.

Is UM’s PT school still highly competitive for admission? Last I heard, I think it was 400 applicants for 35 spots?

wbtfg said:
GrizSpartan said:

Is UM’s PT school still highly competitive for admission? Last I heard, I think it was 400 applicants for 35 spots?
It helps if you start in HHP or something similar.

wbtfg said:
GrizSpartan said:

That is correct. UM 's PT school is a challenge to be admitted. Also, Colorado State is a close school with a PT program.

This kid hasn't played a down in an a game for MSU. His frame of 265 lbs at DE is a nice size but no experience other than practice squad? How good is this kid?

reinell30 said:
This kid hasn't played a down in an a game for MSU. His frame of 265 lbs at DE is a nice size but no experience other than practice squad? How good is this kid?
A 3-star recruit out of Ohio. How many of those have we had?

kemajic said:
reinell30 said:

Probably not too many!

kemajic said:
reinell30 said:

Who cares about a high school recruiting ranking when the dude hasn't even seen the field in 4 years? Not a single play. Not saying he won't turn out to be great, but there isn't much tangible evidence for us to get overly excited about.

GrizSpartan said:
wbtfg said:

That is correct. UM 's PT school is a challenge to be admitted. Also, Colorado State is a close school with a PT program.
Eastern Washington

gotgame75 said:
kemajic said:

Who cares about a high school recruiting ranking when the dude hasn't even seen the field in 4 years? Not a single play. Not saying he won't turn out to be great, but there isn't much tangible evidence for us to get overly excited about.
I don't see anyone getting "overly excited about" this candidate. He is just that, has not accepted or anything. We recognize, however, we are in need at the 3-up DE position and this guy looks like a fit in spite of a Negative Nelly dismissing him for no PT at MSU.

reinell30 said:

Probably good enough to start for most FCS schools and give us necessary depth.

PT degree is a big part of the problem with U of M. Hardly any in state kids get accepted and there is very limited enrollment. Plus the degree has ridiculous requirements anymore to make 80-90k a year. Get some degrees that increase enrollment, don’t over educate for an underpaying career and get more in state kids admitted. Now about this player. The last kid I got excited about was from Wadzpoo. He got his panties in a wad over COVID testing or quarantining and he is no longer with the program. We will see what happens here, but I have low expectations.

Copper Griz said:
PT degree is a big part of the problem with U of M. Hardly any in state kids get accepted and there is very limited enrollment. Plus the degree has ridiculous requirements anymore to make 80-90k a year. Get some degrees that increase enrollment, don’t over educate for an underpaying career and get more in state kids admitted. Now about this player. The last kid I got excited about was from Wadzpoo. He got his panties in a wad over COVID testing or quarantining and he is no longer with the program. We will see what happens here, but I have low expectations.
I have no expectations until the kid accepts our offer and enrolls. Then they will rise as I have a lot of confidence in our coaching staff to recognize talent so am comfortable he will be able play and contribute at this level.

kemajic said:
Copper Griz said:
I have no expectations until the kid accepts our offer and enrolls. Then they will rise as I have a lot of confidence in our coaching staff to recognize talent so am comfortable he will be able play and contribute at this level.

Fair enough. This staff can evaluate talent. My low expectations dwell in the recruits more than the staff.

alabamagrizzly said:
reinell30 said:

I am not putting this kid down nor am I praising him. I am just pointing out his playing time at Michigan State. Hence the question, How good is this kid?

reinell30 said:
alabamagrizzly said:

I am not putting this kid down nor am I praising him. I am just pointing out his playing time at Michigan State. Hence the question, How good is this kid?
We need not spend a lot of energy on this until he accepts our offer. If you're questioning whether the kid can play at this level, then you're questioning the coaching that made the offer, because scholies are scarce and they think he's a fit and can play.

kemajic said:
reinell30 said:
We need not spend a lot of energy on this until he accepts our offer. If you're questioning whether the kid can play at this level, then you're questioning the coaching that made the offer, because scholies are scarce and they think he's a fit and can play.

I am not questioning nothing or no one. I am asking how good can this kid be? I am not a coach. I am not a person who rates talent, I am only a fan who enjoys football and one who enjoys it more when the quality of play of the players is really good.
There are plenty of people on here who judge how players coming out of high school or where ever play the game.

reinell30 said:
kemajic said:

I am not questioning nothing or no one. I am asking how good can this kid be? I am not a coach. I am not a person who rates talent, I am only a fan who enjoys football and one who enjoys it more when the quality of play of the players is really good.
There are plenty of people on here who judge how players coming out of high school or where ever play the game.

Kids like this don’t always get a chance at a big program in the FBS. Take a look at Sterk who ended up on the cats roster from Washington. Too much talent in front of him in Washington, never got to play, dropped down to the cats and almost got himself drafted....was an all big sky conference player for a couple years.

There are lots of examples of kids who don’t get a lot of playing time in FBS but then can light it up in FCS

HookedonGriz said:
reinell30 said:

Kids like this don’t always get a chance at a big program in the FBS. Take a look at Sterk who ended up on the cats roster from Washington. Too much talent in front of him in Washington, never got to play, dropped down to the cats and almost got himself drafted....was an all big sky conference player for a couple years.

There are lots of examples of kids who don’t get a lot of playing time in FBS but then can light it up in FCS
To be fair a lot of drop down players the Griz have had on defense got a majority of their playing time on special teams. Those are DB’s and LB’s. Defensive lineman don’t usually cover punts and kickoffs. Punt and kickoff return teams are mostly made up now of that same group and offensive skill kids. Michigan St has had good competitive teams but not dominant so my guess is that most games on their schedule are close either way. Not many opportunities to empty the bench.

Back