• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Robertson leaving Montana State

Griz RTD said:
SACCAT66 said:
I would disagree here... Vigen knows how important Montana kids are, and that "Winning" (nobody knows who actually wins in recruiting, and lots of times kids that walked on become the ones that kill it) the in-state recruiting battle is key to fan health, and State promotion. Is losing Robertson big? YES, he was a great guy, and everyone loved him. But I don't see the Cats going back to the Solomonson (I believe it was him, but may have been even before him) days where Montana kids are ignored. Hell, even Ash had an issue with that, assuming the kids would just come here, and not offer them anything (Coyle for example)... It is a big loss, but I am happy for Robertson and his future. He is a good friend and man.

I could not disagree more with your assumptions. I consider BJ a friend as well. When Vigen was hired one of the very first things he did was strip BJ of his recruiting coordinator title and reduced him to the special teams coach only. Vigen then brought in a recruiting coordinator that literally has no background in recruiting Montana’s born and bred. What a demoralizing thing for BJ and the recruiting program that he worked tirelessly to build. Every coach in Montana knew BJ and he basically had an open door policy with all of them. If you think Vigen is going to work hard at both retaining and recruiting our Montana boys...I am sorry as this is just not going to happen.

With the above said, I have been concerned about the Griz losing out to some key Billings players. Luckily this year had Junior Bergen switch from the cats to the Griz once Vigen was hired. Capser was legacy and were all over him early. BJ was key to the cats successful recruiting in Billings. Would be nice if the Griz coaching staff pounce on this opportunity...which I am sure they are already doing.

Bobby Daily will take over for Montana recruiting, so still have a young montanan that is very well known. We will have to see how next year's High School seniors go. I am optimistic at this point, but there is worry there as well... I humbly disagree with your take that Vigen won't work hard at recruiting Montana...I hope.

Griz RTD said:
SACCAT66 said:
I would disagree here... Vigen knows how important Montana kids are, and that "Winning" (nobody knows who actually wins in recruiting, and lots of times kids that walked on become the ones that kill it) the in-state recruiting battle is key to fan health, and State promotion. Is losing Robertson big? YES, he was a great guy, and everyone loved him. But I don't see the Cats going back to the Solomonson (I believe it was him, but may have been even before him) days where Montana kids are ignored. Hell, even Ash had an issue with that, assuming the kids would just come here, and not offer them anything (Coyle for example)... It is a big loss, but I am happy for Robertson and his future. He is a good friend and man.

I could not disagree more with your assumptions. I consider BJ a friend as well. When Vigen was hired one of the very first things he did was strip BJ of his recruiting coordinator title and reduced him to the special teams coach only. Vigen then brought in a recruiting coordinator that literally has no background in recruiting Montana’s born and bred. What a demoralizing thing for BJ and the recruiting program that he worked tirelessly to build. Every coach in Montana knew BJ and he basically had an open door policy with all of them. If you think Vigen is going to work hard at both retaining and recruiting our Montana boys...I am sorry as this is just not going to happen.

With the above said, I have been concerned about the Griz losing out to some key Billings players. Luckily this year had Junior Bergen switch from the cats to the Griz once Vigen was hired. Capser was legacy and were all over him early. BJ was key to the cats successful recruiting in Billings. Would be nice if the Griz coaching staff pounce on this opportunity...which I am sure they are already doing.
This is simply hogwash. As a relative of BJ, this couldn't be farther from the truth. This move has nothing to do with the Cats, rather him making a move to improve something in his personal life. Also, he was never stripped of that title- he was still the MT recruiting coordinator until he left.

As someone who learned only yesterday that BJ exists, I believe that the Bobcats suck. And I don’t even know what my anaconda wants anymore, so...

catfan406 said:
Griz RTD said:

This is simply hogwash. As a relative of BJ, this couldn't be farther from the truth. This move has nothing to do with the Cats, rather him making a move to improve something in his personal life. Also, he was never stripped of that title- he was still the MT recruiting coordinator until he left.

Really??? Coaches page was not updated. See below. If you want me to post his Twitter graphic showing he is no longer director of recruiting I am happy to do that too. You may be his relative, but he has many friends who he communicates with. Some like me who has coached HS football a long time. You are right about one thing though, leaving the cats was a good decision to improve something in his personal life.

https://twitter.com/msubobcats_fb/status/1367210855033532417?s=21

Griz RTD said:
catfan406 said:

Really??? Coaches page was not updated. See below. If you want me to post his Twitter graphic showing he is no longer director of recruiting I am happy to do that too. You may be his relative, but he has many friends who he communicates with. Some like me who has coached HS football a long time. You are right about one thing though, leaving the cats was a good decision to improve something in his personal life.

BJ was never that recruiting...he was always the MT Recruiting coordinator.

catfan406 said:
Griz RTD said:

It was called HS Relations. He was the Director of Recruiting and High School Relations. Yes he was. Just like Justin Green is for the Griz. Maybe time to troll another school. I suggest Weber, but that’s just my suggestion. Have a nice day!

Griz RTD said:
catfan406 said:

It was called HS Relations. He was the Director of Recruiting and High School Relations. Yes he was. Just like Justin Green is for the Griz. Maybe time to troll another school. I suggest Weber, but that’s just my suggestion. Have a nice day!

BJ was never the recruiting coordinator at MSU.

What a fun read. Really loving the latest back and forth.

My take, BJ was a GREAT dude. Spend 3 minutes with the guy and you feel like you've known him forever. No one knows high school football in Montana better than this guy. He can literally rattle off every single high school in the state, their mascot, head coach, class they play in, along with a funny story for every single one. There is no question losing a guy with this type of knowledge hurts.

Like all things recruiting, I don't think we'll see the impact of this departure for a couple seasons. If we start missing on in-state kids, or far worse, barely recruiting in-state kids, I'll view this loss as a huge one. However, if the current staff steps up and works to maintain these relationships throughout the state, hopefully it will amount to less of a blow.

But no matter what, there is no question we lost a great guy who players and fans alike loved. Wish him all the best in the future. Hear he's not moving too far away so maybe we'll see him on Saturdays still, only this time around the tailgate sharing beers and stories.

Griz RTD said:
catfan406 said:

BJ was never recruiting coordinator. This new hire is filling the position left by Cole Moore. Previous recruiting coordinator was RB coach, Jimmy Beal. The new hire is an admin position and not an on field coach.

wbtfg said:
Griz RTD said:

BJ was never recruiting coordinator. This new hire is filling the position left by Cole Moore. Previous recruiting coordinator was RB coach, Jimmy Beal. The new hire is an admin position and not an on field coach.

Litter box is a friggin mess...

SoldierGriz said:
wbtfg said:

Uhhhh.....why?

wbtfg said:
Griz RTD said:

I wonder if Costello hired the new admin position to keep Coach Sixx from embarrassing the team and the university? Job duties include cutting mic cords, abruptly ending pressers by faking a heart attack and telling Coach Sixx when he needs organ surgery.

Smart move.

#overhishead

Griz til I die said:
There's more discussion about Robertson leaving on this board than there is on the cat board smh.

Way more talk about our old coach and our new coach too.

And our linebacker that Hauck thought would play qb....

;)

ilovethecats said:
Griz til I die said:
There's more discussion about Robertson leaving on this board than there is on the cat board smh.

;)

Yeah few programs can compare QB development with QB U in Bozeman. :roll:

Ursa Major said:
ilovethecats said:

;)

So you thought Troy was going to play QB last time we met too? :shock:

ilovethecats said:
Ursa Major said:

Can’t take anything away from Choach. He revolutionized modern college football with the introduction of the bounce pass.

Ursa Major said:
ilovethecats said:

Can’t take anything away from Choach. He revolutionized modern college football with the introduction of the bounce pass.

I suppose not.

I was referring to Hauck saying you guys prepped for Troy at QB. That seemed odd to me as he attempted 2 passes all season. Though to be fair, he was 2-2 on the season with a td pass the game before the Brawl so maybe Bobby thought we had a trick up our sleeve?! :cool:

wbtfg said:
SoldierGriz said:

Uhhhh.....why?

Sheesh Roy Orbison...

6th choice for head coach.
Coaches running away like Custer's boys.
Loss of the MILF camp. No MILFs
Loss of Montana recruits.
Outrageous paint prices for the crappy bleachers.

On and on and on. Take of the piss yellow blinders.

Back