• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz Recruiting

Grizrunr said:
What PR meant to say is,,,,, He gave an opportunity to 6 girls who would otherwise not be seeing a minute of playing time under his leadership at the Division 1 level. They were NAIA talent at best. He has stepped up to the challenge to bring the Lady Griz to a point where they don't lose to the last place team in the conference tournament. Ultimately, by cutting them loose, he has done them and the program a great favor, and I believe will now begin to rebuild that which was in decline, but absolutely destroyed by the previous coach(not the interim coach). Montana feels incredibly fortunate to have him. The only way is up from here.

Home run on every level. Gonna be very interesting to revisit this when the lady Griz start playing some legit big girl basketball again. I promise that’s coming.

HookedonGriz said:
Grizrunr said:
What PR meant to say is,,,,, He gave an opportunity to 6 girls who would otherwise not be seeing a minute of playing time under his leadership at the Division 1 level. They were NAIA talent at best. He has stepped up to the challenge to bring the Lady Griz to a point where they don't lose to the last place team in the conference tournament. Ultimately, by cutting them loose, he has done them and the program a great favor, and I believe will now begin to rebuild that which was in decline, but absolutely destroyed by the previous coach(not the interim coach). Montana feels incredibly fortunate to have him. The only way is up from here.

Home run on every level. Gonna be very interesting to revisit this when the lady Griz start playing some legit big girl basketball again. I promise that’s coming.

Petrino would have improved things too. Especially if give 6 more slits and the portal and a 4-yr contract.

Time to move on and stop this pissing contest. It is tough to cut anyone but tough decisions had to be made assuming we want to return to the glory days which is not going to be easy. As it stands now Lady Griz will have 4 from MT on the roster and MSU will have 2 including one NA. Bobcat men will also have one NA with the recent transfer. The only cut that I would question is Jordan Schweyen who was actually pretty good. Her sister was injured all the time and it is difficult to keep a player who has been injured for three years. There is no way I will believe that Holsinger made these decisions on his own--Jordan and likely the rest of the staff had plenty of input even the ones who were not retained. PR you can become a fan of the team that Momberg ends up with if you wish

It’s a free country and this is the internet. You can do what you want, and I will do what I want. I said I would dog the new coach and that’s still the plan. If I disagree with the new coach cheerleaders, I will probably speak up. I hope the remaining players are treated fairly. Yes, cutting half of a team causes issues, and it also appears to be unprecedented. And again, I assume the LG will do well.

PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

Petrino would have improved things too. Especially if give 6 more slits and the portal and a 4-yr contract.

I liked Petrino. Had no problem with him staying but there’s one thing he wouldn’t have done....and that is cut bait with some of the NAIA level players on the roster....which would have led to him continuing to struggle. I think he and his staff are good coaches but you can only do so much if you don’t have the talent. Clear as day the Griz did not have the talent. What Holsinger is doing is tough on many....but 100% had to be done. So happy he has the balls to do it. Good things coming folks.

HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

I liked Petrino. Had no problem with him staying but there’s one thing he wouldn’t have done....and that is cut bait with some of the NAIA level players on the roster....which would have led to him continuing to struggle. I think he and his staff are good coaches but you can only do so much if you don’t have the talent. Clear as day the Griz did not have the talent. What Holsinger is doing is tough on many....but 100% had to be done. So happy he has the balls to do it. Good things coming folks.

LG would have been much better last year, had the 2 big transfers stayed. I don't agree that the players cut are NAIA quality, you have no basis for saying that, and your statement is very insulting to the women and their families. I don't see the new coach as having balls. I think he showed he didn't care about the women he cut, and just wanted to make room for people he'd recruit. Trading less experienced frosh for experienced players will, of course, improve talent for next year.

To me, this is the end of The House that Rob Built.

PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

LG would have been much better last year, had the 2 big transfers stayed. I don't agree that the players cut are NAIA quality, you have no basis for saying that, and your statement is very insulting to the women and their families. I don't see the new coach as having balls. I think he showed he didn't care about the women he cut, and just wanted to make room for people he'd recruit. Trading less experienced frosh for experienced players will, of course, improve talent for next year.

It has been condemned the past 4-5 years.

PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

I absolutely do have a basis for saying that..... they could not crack the line up nor contribute to a pretty bad, middle of the pack Griz team who was upset in the conference tourney by the last place team. If that does not scream a lack of talent or NAIA level player I don’t know what does. I’m sorry if it’s harsh or hurts some feelers but it is 100% true. Legitimate D1 talent players would have found a way to crack the lineup on that roster, we weren’t very good.

HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

I absolutely do have a basis for saying that..... they could not crack the line up nor contribute to a pretty bad, middle of the pack Griz team who was upset in the conference tourney by the last place team. If that does not scream a lack of talent or NAIA level player I don’t know what does. I’m sorry if it’s harsh or hurts some feelers but it is 100% true. Legitimate D1 talent players would have found a way to crack the lineup on that roster, we weren’t very good.

You can say it, but the statement is not accurate. No, frosh at UM rarely crack the starting lineup. The current seniors on the team didn't, until Stiles did later in the season. Having one horrible shooting game at a bad time, does not prove your point. You are just making up stuff to try to support your point. Yes, I agree it would have been nice for the LG to have more talent, especially the 2 women who transferred,

PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

You can say it, but the statement is not accurate. No, frosh at UM rarely crack the starting lineup. The current seniors on the team didn't, until Stiles did later in the season. Having one horrible shooting game at a bad time, does not prove your point. You are just making up stuff to try to support your point. Yes, I agree it would have been nice for the LG to have more talent, especially the 2 women who transferred,
They didn’t play on a very bad team. You don’t see how that’s a red flag for an incoming coach, or any non biased fan?

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:
They didn’t play on a very bad team. You don’t see how that’s a red flag for an incoming coach, or any non biased fan?

No, I would analyze many factors, and would take the views of the coach over people like you. "Again, frosh at UM rarely are big contributors in their true frosh years. The proper way is to analyze and evaluate each player. It is not possible for you and Hooked to do that, as you weren't the coach and didn't work with them in practice. I saw an article at the start of the season where Jordan and Abby Anderson were very positive on Momberg, and I know Petrino generally liked her, for example. I'm not saying all 6 were at the same level. Again, beating a weak team twice during the season and losing at the tourney on horrible shooting does not mean the frosh and others not playing are NAIA level. It just doesn't. The analysis is much deeper than that.

The team was 11-7, before losing its last 4 games. It hadn't been one team twice before losing int he tourney AA(And shooting 4-31 from 3, 13%. ). Look at the first 3 games,. Fairly close against Utah St (a bad team but MW) and Gonzaga (23-4, 7 point loss). Covid affected the team and caused considerable loss of practice and various games. Not arguing the team was good, but I didn't see the team as a very bad team.

In last game, from 3, Stiles was 1-5, Gfeller was 1-3, Schoening was 2-6, Thurmon was 0-4.
The rest of the team was 0-13.

I actually agree with Playrep that the players cut were not NAIA level. But, were they at the level of division 1 players the Lady Griz need to compete at the top level of the conference? I do not think so. That is very evident in the past 4 games of the season which the Lady Griz lost. Lady Griz just were not deep enough to compete with the top 4 teams. There isn't really enough evidence that they would have in the future either. It would just be somebody's subjective opinion.

It is obvious that the new coach did not think they would have and he had to move quickly so that he could get the players he needed that he felt would be able to compete at the top level in the future, if not next year but in the following years. While cutting the players by zoom looks bad and I agree it is, I figure he felt he had to do it so that he could move the program forward as quickly as possible and he wasn't able to meet with them in person. Recruiting season was already in full swing when he was hired and couldn't waste too much time.

As for COVID, That certainly affected the Lady Griz this year, but it also affected every team in the conference. Other teams were affected by it more than the Lady Griz. MSU had more games cancelled than the Lady Griz. Southern Utah played only 11 of the 20 conference games. NAU and Sac St were the only 2 teams that played all their conference games. In a way, that may have actually hurt them more.

Would Jamie Pickens and Gabi Harrington helped? Sure. But that is a cop out excuse for a reason to keep Petrino. I believe Jamie would have helped the most, but Jamie left because Shannon was fired.

Harrington left before Shannon was fired but may have left because of Shannon OR left because she already earned her degree in Journalism and decided to go to Idaho to earn a graduate degree where pretty much all of her family members that went to college went to and thus she could call herself an alum of Idaho, too. Also, would Harrington earn first team all-conference at Montana if she stayed? Maybe but it is my opinion she would not have. She actually shot worse at the three point line this past season than her last season at Montana. Her overall shooting was just 2 percent better meaning she shot better inside her last season. But she averaged more at Idaho because the coach let her play even though she took way more shots and played 6 minutes more per game. I do believe Harrington benefitted way more by going to Idaho than she would have if she stayed here. Would Petrino let Harrington fire away as many times she did this past year while making only 28% of them? Never know. I do not think so. Her rebounding increased but that appears to be just a factor the additional minutes she played per game. So, Harrington may not have helped Montana as much as she helped Idaho to win.

I for one am moving on and I am going to root for the Lady Griz and hope for the best. I will not give up on them yet. That will come later if he fails miserably.

Good for Karsen! She is the only player that got cut that I thought was D1. She just needs some more strength Lauren wants to stay in school here I heard so her name may not show up in the portal.

ThinkingGriz said:
Good for Karsen! She is the only player that got cut that I thought was D1. She just needs some more strength Lauren wants to stay in school here I heard so her name may not show up in the portal.

I heard that some Lady Griz faithful were hoping to raise money to help Lauren finish school at UM.

TrueGriz said:
I actually agree with Playrep that the players cut were not NAIA level. But, were they at the level of division 1 players the Lady Griz need to compete at the top level of the conference? I do not think so. That is very evident in the past 4 games of the season which the Lady Griz lost. Lady Griz just were not deep enough to compete with the top 4 teams. There isn't really enough evidence that they would have in the future either. It would just be somebody's subjective opinion.

It is obvious that the new coach did not think they would have and he had to move quickly so that he could get the players he needed that he felt would be able to compete at the top level in the future, if not next year but in the following years. While cutting the players by zoom looks bad and I agree it is, I figure he felt he had to do it so that he could move the program forward as quickly as possible and he wasn't able to meet with them in person. Recruiting season was already in full swing when he was hired and couldn't waste too much time.

As for COVID, That certainly affected the Lady Griz this year, but it also affected every team in the conference. Other teams were affected by it more than the Lady Griz. MSU had more games cancelled than the Lady Griz. Southern Utah played only 11 of the 20 conference games. NAU and Sac St were the only 2 teams that played all their conference games. In a way, that may have actually hurt them more.

Would Jamie Pickens and Gabi Harrington helped? Sure. But that is a cop out excuse for a reason to keep Petrino. I believe Jamie would have helped the most, but Jamie left because Shannon was fired.

Harrington left before Shannon was fired but may have left because of Shannon OR left because she already earned her degree in Journalism and decided to go to Idaho to earn a graduate degree where pretty much all of her family members that went to college went to and thus she could call herself an alum of Idaho, too. Also, would Harrington earn first team all-conference at Montana if she stayed? Maybe but it is my opinion she would not have. She actually shot worse at the three point line this past season than her last season at Montana. Her overall shooting was just 2 percent better meaning she shot better inside her last season. But she averaged more at Idaho because the coach let her play even though she took way more shots and played 6 minutes more per game. I do believe Harrington benefitted way more by going to Idaho than she would have if she stayed here. Would Petrino let Harrington fire away as many times she did this past year while making only 28% of them? Never know. I do not think so. Her rebounding increased but that appears to be just a factor the additional minutes she played per game. So, Harrington may not have helped Montana as much as she helped Idaho to win.

I for one am moving on and I am going to root for the Lady Griz and hope for the best. I will not give up on them yet. That will come later if he fails miserably.

I agree with most of your post. My reason to point the 2 good departures last year is not an argument for Petrino but an argument that the team had more talent than its been given credit for by some. That’s why their reasons for departure are not relevant to my argument. Also, it is true that Shannon has to deal with a lot of
key injuries.

I am not giving up on the LG. I am just not going to support a program coached by this executioner and have different things to do with my time and money. I assume the LG will do well. I wish them well.

I try to live by principals. I generally support players. I will never support a coach at the UM level of sports who comes in and immediately gets rid of almost half of the roster, via zoom calls. I don’t care who the coach is.

maroonandsilver said:
ThinkingGriz said:

I heard that some Lady Griz faithful were hoping to raise money to help Lauren finish school at UM.

She is close and just needs summer school.

PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

Six more whats? Are you that sexist or did you again forget to proof your two sentences?

I have been surprised by the lack of news on Lady Griz recruiting - but, in listing to the Coach's podcast, I learned that we are in a dead period until the end of May. As I understand it, until June, he can't bring a new recruit on campus unless it is someone from the transfer portal (but, I may be wrong on that). So, knowing that, I will be more patient regarding those other 5 scholarships until early June.

Back