• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Mask Mandate Lifted in Missoula Effective Immediately

PlayerRep said:
From a NY Times story today, saying that the recent CDC statement that less than 10% of covid comes when people are outdoor. The article says the number is so high and ridiculous to be not meaningful.

"Saying that less than 10 percent of Covid transmission occurs outdoors is akin to saying that sharks attack fewer than 20,000 swimmers a year. (The actual worldwide number is around 150.) It’s both true and deceiving.

There is not a single documented Covid infection anywhere in the world from casual outdoor interactions, such as walking past someone on a street or eating at a nearby table.

A study from Ireland, which seems to have been more precise about the definition of outdoors, put the share of such transmission at 0.1 percent. A study of 7,324 cases from China found a single instance of outdoor transmission, involving a conversation between two people.

“I’m sure it’s possible for transmission to occur outdoors in the right circumstances,” Dr. Aaron Richterman of the University of Pennsylvania told me, “but if we had to put a number on it, I would say much less than 1 percent.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/briefing/outdoor-covid-transmission-cdc-number.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Just another reason people ignore the CDC. It's an inept institution.

"...but the law is to remove local governments from enforcing the no mask mandate, an effort to remove local government from interfering with commerce."

Interesting abuse of the English language. Along that line...

"Well, Missoula Counties current position:"

Looks like I've missed the news that there are, now, more than one Missoula County. When did that happen? Details, man, I need details!

Cigareets, wooskie, and wild, wild women, they'll drive you crazy, they'll drive you insane...

tourist said:
"...but the law is to remove local governments from enforcing the no mask mandate, an effort to remove local government from interfering with commerce."

Interesting abuse of the English language. Along that line...

"Well, Missoula Counties current position:"

Looks like I've missed the news that there are, now, more than one Missoula County. When did that happen? Details, man, I need details!

Cigareets, wooskie, and wild, wild women, they'll drive you crazy, they'll drive you insane...

Good God... Ronnie Wood song lyrics!?! I knew PR was in his 100's but didn't realize everyone was... I would stop building locker rooms and start building wheel chair ramps and oxygen tank holders in the stadium.

Tim Spencer, 'Sons of the Pioneer's', 1947. For you youngins, I recommend the 2013 version by the Muppets, with Peter Sellers. It's a hoot! :thumb:

During your building boom, make sure to include plenty of dump stations for Foley catheter and colostomy bags. With beer sales, the sight of this matter flowing down the concrete in WGS' would be revolting. :shock: :lol:

MikeyGriz said:
I think in the past, UM stated they would follow Missoula County's position. It will be interesting to see if they continue this position following the county's change. I would not put it past them to adhere to masks. I do think fan reaction would overall be negative to such a move though.

I am not disputing this, but where/when did UM say it "would folliow" Missoula County's position? I found only this, but didn't look hard.

"This [UM] guidance is aligned and consistent with local orders and ordinances of the City of Missoula and Missoula County, the Montana University System, as well as the State of Montana’s Phased Reopening Model. This guidance also follows recommendations from the federal government (Opening Guidelines), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Missoula City-County Health Department and the University of Montana Health Advisory Group."

Three college women booted from school after attending an off-campus outdoor party unmasked in March. Will each lose $16,000 of tuition and other costs. No credit. All frosh and good students.

"Three University of Massachusetts Amherst students were suspended after a photo of the trio was posted online showing them attending an off-campus party unmasked and breaking the campus' COVID-related policies, the Washington Post reported.

The families of the students pledged to fight the school’s decision after each freshman was kicked out of school, forfeiting the entire academic semester and $16,000 in nonrefundable tuition, the parents told CBS Boston.

The photo was sent to school officials by another student after the March 6 gathering. The three female students were immediately kicked out of campus housing and attended virtual classes while the case was under review.

After the appeals were lost, each student was cut off from virtual learning and not allowed to take their finals, CBS Boston reported.

"These beautiful young ladies who are honors students have had a full academic year stripped away and their paths broken of their higher education for alleged COVID violations," one of the parents of the students removed from the school told WCVB-TV.

One of the parents said the students were treated unfairly in comparison to when the school’s hockey team returned to campus after winning the 2021 National Championship. "

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/education/2021/05/11/umass-amherst-students-suspended-attending-party-unmasked/5037837001/

See their photo in the link. the video is worth watching. See the parade for the hockey team. Note my above post that says virtually no one gets covid outside, like .1%. Virtually documented cases. UMass is going to lose this lawsuit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSrw6ziNjUw

This appears to be discrimination against Irish, by celebrating hockey over St. Paddy's Day.

PlayerRep said:
MikeyGriz said:
I think in the past, UM stated they would follow Missoula County's position. It will be interesting to see if they continue this position following the county's change. I would not put it past them to adhere to masks. I do think fan reaction would overall be negative to such a move though.

I am not disputing this, but where/when did UM say it "would folliow" Missoula County's position? I found only this, but didn't look hard.

"This [UM] guidance is aligned and consistent with local orders and ordinances of the City of Missoula and Missoula County, the Montana University System, as well as the State of Montana’s Phased Reopening Model. This guidance also follows recommendations from the federal government (Opening Guidelines), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Missoula City-County Health Department and the University of Montana Health Advisory Group."

I know this was awhile ago, but I found this:

"The University of Montana is keeping its current mask mandate in place following Gov. Greg Gianforte’s decision to rescind the statewide mask mandate.

Dave Kuntz, director of strategic communications at UM, said the University will continue to require masks for employees, faculty and students.

“We’re going to continue to measure our operating modalities on a regular basis,” Kuntz said. “That includes mask requirements, our classroom set-up, in-person and hybrid modalities and how we structure our dorm and transportation policies.”

Missoula County has also chosen to keep its local mask mandate in effect. Kuntz said UM made its decision in partnership with the county health department.

“We work closely every single day with the Missoula City-County Health Department,” Kuntz said."

http://www.montanakaimin.com/news/um-mask-mandate-remains-in-effect-following-statewide-policy-change/article_062799ee-764b-11eb-82c0-07a9c3ab1a7d.html

MikeyGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

I know this was awhile ago, but I found this:

"The University of Montana is keeping its current mask mandate in place following Gov. Greg Gianforte’s decision to rescind the statewide mask mandate.

Dave Kuntz, director of strategic communications at UM, said the University will continue to require masks for employees, faculty and students.

“We’re going to continue to measure our operating modalities on a regular basis,” Kuntz said. “That includes mask requirements, our classroom set-up, in-person and hybrid modalities and how we structure our dorm and transportation policies.”

Missoula County has also chosen to keep its local mask mandate in effect. Kuntz said UM made its decision in partnership with the county health department.

“We work closely every single day with the Missoula City-County Health Department,” Kuntz said."

http://www.montanakaimin.com/news/um-mask-mandate-remains-in-effect-following-statewide-policy-change/article_062799ee-764b-11eb-82c0-07a9c3ab1a7d.html

That's helpful. Thx.

I think UM will do what it thinks is best. I doubt that they will rely on the County Health Dept, but will probably continue talking to them. I don't think the County Health Dept will be as assertive now, given that their claws have been clipped.

I don't see how UM can sell all of its season tickets, without planning to let every one in. Masks? I don't know. Even if masks are required, no one is going to be able to enforce that in the stadium.

Anyone who believes anything less than full attendance without masks will float in the applicable audience has NOT been paying attention. One year of donating season ticket revenue doesn't equate with two years. University administration needs to get off its PC ass and state full admission without masks, or plan for the end of UM athletics, and thus the University itself.

tourist said:
Anyone who believes anything less than full attendance without masks will float in the applicable audience has NOT been paying attention. One year of donating season ticket revenue doesn't equate with two years. University administration needs to get off its PC ass and state full admission without masks, or plan for the end of UM athletics, and thus the University itself.

I would hope this is a more of a venting and not deliberate threat to seek the end of UM athletics due to a mask requirement.
Hope that road never needs to be crossed.

If forced to make a public statement on mask requirements, the administration would toe the line. Compliance would be encouraged. Not sure why anyone would be surprised by that or expect anything different.

Venting.
Would one person have any impact on the final outcome? Hardly a threat. Prediction? Let's not kill the golden goose.

tourist said:
Venting.
Would one person have any impact on the final outcome? Hardly a threat. Prediction? Let's not kill the golden goose.

:thumb: Agreed, many are frustrated. A complex issue for sure. The coaches and players may have similar views as you have stated and with no alternative choice the collective decision becomes compliance. A frustrated fan base will have to come to a similar collective choice, there will be some who opt out.

YttriumGriz39 said:
Vaccinated people don't need masks anymore.

Ha, not here in Missoula. Highest vaccination rate in the state, yet people still walking around outside with masks on, driving in cars by themselves with masks on, etc. Funny, these fanatics have been screaming “follow the science” for months, and are now conveniently ignoring it.

Walking on trail by river in Missoula now. Haven’t seen a mask. Ate at Pancea last night. Zero masks including on employees. Didn’t see any on people walking by last night either. Holiday Inn still has mask rule. Beautiful day. Very quiet by river today.

Albertsons is still requiring masks. I assume that has something to do with the 5 huge bins full of masks they have for sale.

Masks have become, 1) a political statement(yes, I'm a liberal retard and will do anything I'm told to do, so I'm politically reliable), and 2) a confession of one's stupidity. These people drive a Prius with window and bumper stickers confirming they are at least as on par with Biden. Most are at least as old or older than Biden, and have their nose within an inch or two from the steering wheel or windshield.

Masks at Rocky Mountain eye center, but no no check point to enter or temp check or questions. Looks like no restrictions to enter except masks. Surprised me.

I guess I have a tendency to fall into the camp of you-do-you, and I'll do me.

I work in schools and after spending 19 years contracting every airborne disease known to man that has circulated within the walls of school, I can say with limited data that wearing masks had a overwhelmingly positive impact on my overall health. This is the first year in literally my whole teaching career I wasn't leveled by some respiratory virus. I have a lot of teachers who could speak to this as well. Since we are taking anecdotal and non-scientific evidence about whether masks were or weren't effective, I thought I'd provide my perspective.

I'll continue to wear a mask as long as my district asks me to, because like a lot of things it is best practice. I find them annoying (masks), but I hardly think it is political to wear one or not. For me, if it prevents me from having a deal with spending much of my year sick, I'm all for it.

Back