• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Carson Rostad to LB?

Jesse said:
406 Grizzly said:
Jesse, I hope you take a minute and read the entire write-up. Robby Hauck’s ability and contribution at safety has been pretty amazing! His tackling stats are laid out here and are very impressive.

https://twitter.com/montanagrizfb/status/1404912444082855939?s=21

Thanks for that his stats are impressive no doubt. I don’t really understand the outrage for voicing my opinion, I just think bigger is usually better and I believe the team is talent laden with good sized athletes who are not finding the field. The coach/son thing is unfortunate but it is what it is and I agree he probably feels intense pressure to make every play, because of it, which sometimes has resulted in blown coverage or bad reads. Hope he finds his lane and relaxes and does well the rest of his career. But I would like to see some younger guys compete for spots in the secondary and play more. Again, regardless of what the fellas on here think, I meant no disrespect to you, or your friend and his son. It’s like everything else on this board mostly rumors and gossip that we happily regurgitate to throw some new material/red meat out to argue about.

I do hope Rostand gets converted to safety where he played in high school and sees the field this season same for graves.

No doubt, everyone should know that "good sized athletes" are always better than non-good sized ones.

Jesse said:
406 Grizzly said:
Jesse, I hope you take a minute and read the entire write-up. Robby Hauck’s ability and contribution at safety has been pretty amazing! His tackling stats are laid out here and are very impressive.

https://twitter.com/montanagrizfb/status/1404912444082855939?s=21

Thanks for that his stats are impressive no doubt. I don’t really understand the outrage for voicing my opinion, I just think bigger is usually better and I believe the team is talent laden with good sized athletes who are not finding the field. The coach/son thing is unfortunate but it is what it is and I agree he probably feels intense pressure to make every play, because of it, which sometimes has resulted in blown coverage or bad reads. Hope he finds his lane and relaxes and does well the rest of his career. But I would like to see some younger guys compete for spots in the secondary and play more. Again, regardless of what the fellas on here think, I meant no disrespect to you, or your friend and his son. It’s like everything else on this board mostly rumors and gossip that we happily regurgitate to throw some new material/red meat out to argue about.

I do hope Rostand gets converted to safety where he played in high school and sees the field this season same for graves.
It's hard to walk back the outrageous shade you threw onto one of the Griz's best players. It was more than your opinion; it was an obsession hammered over and over. Shame on you. The kid has a realistic chance to be All-American before he finishes UM. A lot of us will have your BS bookmarked for that day.

Paytonlives said:
Get a grip fellas, in about 100 days we will all see the end result of this move. I bet it is a great decision to move him to LB

I agree. As I stated earlier, we are very deep at safety already with 4 kids who are all capable of starting. Why put another player into the mix. I think Rostad already weighs around 215. If he hits the weights, and gains another 15 lbs, he would a great LB.

kemajic said:
Jesse said:

It's hard to walk back the outrageous shade you threw onto one of the Griz's best players. It was more than your opinion; it was an obsession hammered over and over. Shame on you. The kid has a realistic chance to be All-American before he finishes UM. A lot of us will have your BS bookmarked for that day.
I’m not walking back anything. I’m actually quadrupling down on my assessment for the rabid egrizer grazzalies.I think there other athletes on both side of the ball who would fill the position better given an opportunity. I don’t do shame from the likes of you so deal with it. Bookmark away I hope he makes all American too, that doesn’t mean that there are not better players who aren’t getting a shot at competing for the position, why do you think? The thread was about Rostad being moved to defense. I think he should play safety. He’s the same size as former Grizzly great Todd Ericson was, but might be more athletic “than” he was. The orthodoxy on here is ridiculous and the tough guy keyboard warriors who get whipped into a frenzy are silly. Again this is an anonymous messages board so don’t take too seriously or you will give yourself a stroke. Be well.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Jesse said:

No doubt, everyone should know that "good sized athletes" are always better than non-good sized ones.
Well there seems to be a formula now days for size and ranginess at certain positions. He plays for his dad and his uncle was a legend and I believe that played into him starting as an under sized freshman. So be it, his coach/father makes the final call and is open to criticism because of that relationship. I’m sure both BH and RH are man enough to acknowledge that. I just happen to think Rostad should be given a shot at the position. Why does anyone on this board give two fucks what I think and go into a feeding frenzy because I have the audacity to question a coaching decision. Relax RH will continue to start and rack up stats for the next 2 years I just think there are other bigger and more athletic players who would fill the position better. But they won’t because they don’t have a relative on the staff. Are you all ok without that because I’m not. We have beat this one to death fellas get over it or probably not.

Jesse said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Well there seems to be a formula now days for size and ranginess at certain positions. He plays for his dad and his uncle was a legend and I believe that played into him starting as an under sized freshman. So be it, his coach/father makes the final call and is open to criticism because of that relationship. I’m sure both BH and RH are man enough to acknowledge that. I just happen to think Rostad should be given a shot at the position. Why does anyone on this board give two f###[#] what I think and go into a feeding frenzy because I have the audacity to question a coaching decision. Relax RH will continue to start and rack up stats for the next 2 years I just think there are other bigger and more athletic players who would fill the position better. But they won’t because they don’t have a relative on the staff. Are you all ok without that because I’m not. We have beat this one to death fellas get over it or probably not.

Solid double-down.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Jesse said:

Ask PR he claims to have played. It’s a game of strength, speed, quickness and leverage. Bigger has evolved over the the years to equate to better especially on defense. And the Griz are loaded with bigger athletes who are not seeing the field. But I guess we won’t ever know now will we because RH is safety and will be for 2 more years or do you want continue to shame because I don’t agree with the fellas. I’m game but I think its pointless because well it’s just like my opinion man. You like undersized safeties, I get it. I like mine bigger, taller and faster to support the run more effectively and also cover bigger receivers. Rostad and Graves both fit the bill for me, RH not so much.

Jesse said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Ask PR he claims to have played. It’s a game of strength, speed, quickness and leverage. Bigger has evolved over the the years to equate to better especially on defense. And the Griz are loaded with bigger athletes who are not seeing the field. But I guess we won’t ever know now will we because RH is safety and will be for 2 more years or do you want continue to shame because I don’t agree with the fellas. I’m game but I think its pointless because well it’s just like my opinion man. You like undersized safeties, I get it. I like mine bigger, taller and faster to support the run more effectively and also cover bigger receivers. Rostad and Graves both fit the bill for me, RH not so much.

We get it, you believe the only reason RH is starting is because his dad is the coach.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Jesse said:

We get it, you believe the only reason RH is starting is because his dad is the coach.

Would he be starting if his dad wasn’t the coach. I don’t know the answer and neither do you. The paradox in coach/son relationships is always going to be there, especially at this level when there are bigger athletes available, whether you can ignore it or not. Would RH be starting at NAU if he had stayed? Would he have gotten a scholarship if Jerome and his dad weren’t buddies? Who the hell knows but it warrants some scrutiny don’t you agree or is it totally off limits and blasphemous to utter dissent, so I guess I’m a heretic. Of the 24 starters how many are related to a coach? It’s okay its BH’s call to make, why do you think RH transferred? Of course to play for his old man and that’s what happened from day one.it is what it is, we just happen to disagree. I appreciate your civil discourse it makes posting about Griz football enjoyable like it should be but isn’t. Thanks

Jesse said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Would he be starting if his dad wasn’t the coach. I don’t know the answer and neither do you. The paradox in coach/son relationships is always going to be there, especially at this level when there are bigger athletes available, whether you can ignore it or not. Would RH be starting at NAU if he had stayed? Would he have gotten a scholarship if Jerome and his dad weren’t buddies? Who the hell knows but it warrants some scrutiny don’t you agree or is it totally off limits and blasphemous to utter dissent, so I guess I’m a heretic. Of the 24 starters how many are related to a coach? It’s okay its BH’s call to make, why do you think RH transferred? Of course to play for his old man and that’s what happened from day one.it is what it is, we just happen to disagree. I appreciate your civil discourse it makes posting about Griz football enjoyable like it should be but isn’t. Thanks

Well, other than providing nothing to back your argument that someone else should be starting, you are doing great.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Jesse said:

Well, other than providing nothing to back your argument that someone else should be starting, you are doing great.
So answer my questions at least, share your opinion. Would he be starting at NAU? Did he transfer because he was slated to start his first year? Would he be starting here if not for the coach? Tells us what you think and why, thanks.

Jesse said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
So answer my questions at least, share your opinion.
Would he be starting at NAU? No Idea
Did he transfer because he was slated to start his first year? I don't believe that to be the case
Would he be starting here if not for the coach? No, he would be at NAU
Tells us what you think and why, thanks.

Jesse said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

You were sure certain you knew the answer about three pages ago.

Jesse said:
kemajic said:
I’m not walking back anything. I’m actually quadrupling down on my assessment for the rabid egrizer grazzalies.I think there other athletes on both side of the ball who would fill the position better given an opportunity. I don’t do shame from the likes of you so deal with it. Bookmark away I hope he makes all American too, that doesn’t mean that there are not better players who aren’t getting a shot at competing for the position, why do you think? The thread was about Rostad being moved to defense. I think he should play safety. He’s the same size as former Grizzly great Todd Ericson was, but might be more athletic “than” he was. The orthodoxy on here is ridiculous and the tough guy keyboard warriors who get whipped into a frenzy are silly. Again this is an anonymous messages board so don’t take too seriously or you will give yourself a stroke. Be well.
So you are saying our coaching staff is incapable of recognizing the best players to put on the field to give the team the best chance at winning. Your hole keeps getting deeper.

kemajic said:
Jesse said:
So you are saying our coaching staff is incapable of recognizing the best players to put on the field to give the team the best chance at winning. Your hole keeps getting deeper.

Yep. Dad starting his kid might happen in middle school...

D1 coaches are expected to win.

Someone mentioned RH has a chance to be an All-American. I'll go further and say he Will be.

He also has a legit shot at BSC DPOY.

He would start on 100% of BSC teams and probably 90% of all FCS teams.

Still think RH stole Jesse's girl.

Jesse: what are your qualifications that makes your a expert on personnel? Were you a Recruiter or Talent scout in your previous life??

He already answered that question—it’s his “spot-on” FB knowledge.

He never answered my question although I’ve asked it several times. He has adamantly claimed multiple times there are players faster than RH, but for some reason he refuses to name a single one.

RH has proven himself, period. Look at his stats coming out of CA in high school where his dad was not involved at all:

Set school records for tackles and led the league and division… Finished third in the state in tackles … Was a four-time team MVP … Also competed in basketball, where he was a two-time Defensive MVP

As a redshirt at NAU he was scout team player of year. Would he have started had he stayed--no question!

Give the kid some credit even if you THINK others are better.

Rostad will do great on defense and is a great athlete.

However, Jesse, your evaluation of Rostad (and a number of players you mention) is playing Class A football in Montana. Maybe he simply is not fast enough at S at the college level.

Robby has been successful at the college level and has 100% EARNED his spot.

rwilliams said:
RH has proven himself, period. Look at his stats coming out of CA in high school where his dad was not involved at all:

Set school records for tackles and led the league and division… Finished third in the state in tackles … Was a four-time team MVP … Also competed in basketball, where he was a two-time Defensive MVP

As a redshirt at NAU he was scout team player of year. Would he have started had he stayed--no question!

Give the kid some credit even if you THINK others are better.

Rostad will do great on defense and is a great athlete.

However, Jesse, your evaluation of Rostad (and a number of players you mention) is playing Class A football in Montana. Maybe he simply is not fast enough at S at the college level.

Robby has been successful at the college level and has 100% EARNED his spot.
:thumb:

Only know Bobby and Robby from what people have said (not just on here) and seeing TV interviews. Lots of coach- and player-speak, but also some revealing moments. Here's my take:
(1) Robby Hauck knows football. You generally expect that of a coach's son, but that's actually not always the case. Robby knows.
(2) Robby, obviously, grew up in the competitive "win or get fired" world of coaching.
(3) Robby Hauck is a team player, in all the best sense of that phrase.

Given that, I honestly believe that Robby would be the first to tell his dad: That guy [insert name] is damn good ... maybe he should start. Or at least get more PT, etc., etc.

On a side note: Just because of the size issue, we probably won't ever be having a serious conversation about Robby and the NFL.

Back