• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Athlon Preseason Top 25 poll

Griz til I die

DONOR
1. James Madison
2. North Dakota State
3. Sam Houston
4. South Dakota State
5. Delaware
6. Weber State
7. North Dakota
8. Montana State
9. Southern Illinois
10. Jacksonville State
11. Montana
12. Monmouth
13. Central Arkansas
14. Northern Iowa
15. Southeastern Louisiana
16. Villanova
17. UC Davis
18. VMI
19. Eastern Washington
20. Chattanooga
21. Kennesaw State
22. New Hampshire
23. Austin Peay
24. Nicholls
25. Missouri State
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/athlon-sports-preseason-fcs-top-25-2021
Craig Haley's a joke. If he actually thinks that SIU and Jacksonville State are gonna be better than us, then he has serious credibility issues. :roll:

Yeah #11 seems low. It’s essentially saying that they do not see us winning a playoff game in 2021. I think #8 or 9 would be a more accurate preseason position. But even then, I believe the Griz will end the season higher than that. Time will tell! Also I think EWU will finish higher than #19. Something tells me they have a good year.

Southern Illinois could very well be a dark horse for the national championship.... They arguably played south Dakota state at South Dakota state the toughest of anybody in the playoffs, they were beating SDSU with 7:00 minuets left in the game and we're up by 10 at the half.
They also kicked the shit out of ndsu in the early part of the season.

Griz til I die said:
1. James Madison
2. North Dakota State
3. Sam Houston
4. South Dakota State
5. Delaware
6. Weber State
7. North Dakota
8. Montana State
9. Southern Illinois
10. Jacksonville State
11. Montana
12. Monmouth
13. Central Arkansas
14. Northern Iowa
16. Villanova
17. UC Davis
18. VMI
19. Eastern Washington
20. Chattanooga
21. Kennesaw State
22. New Hampshire
23. Austin Peay
24. Nicholls
25. Missouri State
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/athlon-sports-preseason-fcs-top-25-2021
Craig Haley's a joke. If he actually thinks that SIU and Jacksonville State are gonna be better than us, then he has serious credibility issues. :roll:

Somebody seems a little butthurt.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Griz til I die said:
1. James Madison
2. North Dakota State
3. Sam Houston
4. South Dakota State
5. Delaware
6. Weber State
7. North Dakota
8. Montana State
9. Southern Illinois
10. Jacksonville State
11. Montana
12. Monmouth
13. Central Arkansas
14. Northern Iowa
16. Villanova
17. UC Davis
18. VMI
19. Eastern Washington
20. Chattanooga
21. Kennesaw State
22. New Hampshire
23. Austin Peay
24. Nicholls
25. Missouri State

Somebody seems a little butthurt.
Ya I'm butthurt that Craig Haley thinks the perennial second round chokers of JSU are better then the Griz. He clearly doesn't pay that close attention.

It seems like Craig Haley is a little out of touch, so I wouldn't put too much stock in his opinion. I think the FCS guys at Hero Sports (specifically Sam Herder) have a better understanding of the current FCS climate, and they put the Griz much higher than 11. Regardless, our boys just gotta go out and prove it on the field. The polls really only matter after the season starts.

Da Boyz Mom said:
It seems like Craig Haley is a little out of touch, so I wouldn't put too much stock in his opinion. I think the FCS guys at Hero Sports (specifically Sam Herder) have a better understanding of the current FCS climate, and they put the Griz much higher than 11. Regardless, our boys just gotta go out and prove it on the field. The polls really only matter after the season starts.
Totally agree with the last. And I'm perfectly fine with where they have the Griz.

There is, however, a meaningful point here. Many of the poll voters are too lazy -- or too busy, cutting some a little slack -- to really think about their votes as more games are played. That's my take after well over a decade of watching the FCS polls. (You may recall my regular fall "Poll Guesses" threads ... which I'm pretty good at.)

It seems to me that many pollsters just look at the latest results and tweak their existing list based on that. Re-doing the list from scratch would be a lot of work ... and you might have to admit (to yourself anyway) that your earlier list was way off base. Given that, if a team does not start in or near the top-25, it can go on a (say) five game winning streak against decent opponents and still just barely creep into the top-25 (or not).

IdaGriz01 said:
Da Boyz Mom said:
Totally agree with the last. And I'm perfectly fine with where they have the Griz.

There is, however, a meaningful point here. Many of the poll voters are too lazy -- or too busy, cutting some a little slack -- to really think about their votes as more games are played. That's my take after well over a decade of watching the FCS polls. (You may recall my regular fall "Poll Guesses" threads ... which I'm pretty good at.)

It seems to me that many pollsters just look at the latest results and tweak their existing list based on that. Re-doing the list from scratch would be a lot of work ... and you might have to admit (to yourself anyway) that your earlier list was way off base. Given that, if a team does not start in or near the top-25, it can go on a (say) five game winning streak against decent opponents and still just barely creep into the top-25 (or not).

Great points. It happens week-to-week during the season, too. Initial inertia of a preseason ranking can make a huge difference, and it's lame that polls are retroactive instead of proactive regarding how good the pollster thinks the team actually is. That's when you get stupid stuff. Team X could be coming off a bad year, get 12 SEC graduate transfers who were starters, and you'd get some dork would saying, "Until Team X proves it on the field, I can't rank them above Team Y because they lost to Team Y in 2019, so I'm putting them at Z."

HelenaHandBasket said:
Griz til I die said:
Ya I'm butthurt that Craig Haley thinks the perennial second round chokers of JSU are better then the Griz. He clearly doesn't pay that close attention.

I applaud your honesty.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I’m not sure if I’M going to be able to even sleep tonight after this travesty.

Bobcats and Weber are too high, Griz and EWU are too low. Not sure who SDSU and SHSU aren't 1&2 in whatever order...

Good thing is we have a full season to let this work itself out...

I can never understand why a team that just won the national championship isn't ranked number one to start with (unless they are named NDSU), and a certain other team (cough, JMU) always seems to start out at one or two even when they haven't done anything impressive lately. More proof that preseason polls are virtually meaningless. (And this isn't the official poll anyway, thankfully.)

ilovethecats said:
garizzalies said:
I stopped reading

Technically speaking we have depth.... ;)

Ya. Plus I think the prognosticators look at the Cat QB situation and see a Tucker Rovig that has improved in the last 18 months (off season camps and training programs) since leading the Cats to the Semis... and he's currently 3rd on the depth chart so obviously the Cats will be better at QB in 2021 than 2019, and will actually have some depth.

26fd9ebc4244d851323d7446f820ef12.jpg

poorgriz said:
ilovethecats said:
Technically speaking we have depth.... ;)

Ya. Plus I think the prognosticators look at the Cat QB situation and see a Tucker Rovig that has improved in the last 18 months (off season camps and training programs) since leading the Cats to the Semis... and he's currently 3rd on the depth chart so obviously the Cats will be better at QB in 2021 than 2019, and will actually have some depth.

Rovig being buried at 3rd on the depth chart is a joke. Who ahead of him has taken a snap for Bozeman? He's the best option the Cats have. Listen, Rob Compson isn't walking through that door. Gotta go with what works, especially since he's attended camps and training programs.

CDAGRIZ said:
poorgriz said:

Rovig being buried at 3rd on the depth chart is a joke. Who ahead of him has taken a snap for Bozeman? He's the best option the Cats have. Listen, Rob Compson isn't walking through that door. Gotta go with what works, especially since he's attended camps and training programs.

😂. Ok that one got me!

Back