• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Carson Rostad to LB?

I used to think it was a Cat-Griz thing but this thread has proved otherwise. But I always kind of thought in general terms RH was nowhere near as bad as Cat fans say he is, and not quite as amazing as Griz fans seem to think. Just a very solid, smart player.

Zero chance he's only playing because his dad is the coach. That is asinine. Though it is fun to give him hell because of that fact when he's visiting Bozeman. ;)

One of those kids you love to give crap to on gamedays, but you know you'd take him on your squad 100 out of 100 times.

ilovethecats said:
I used to think it was a Cat-Griz thing but this thread has proved otherwise. But I always kind of thought in general terms RH was nowhere near as bad as Cat fans say he is, and not quite as amazing as Griz fans seem to think. Just a very solid, smart player.

Zero chance he's only playing because his dad is the coach. That is asinine. Though it is fun to give him hell because of that fact when he's visiting Bozeman. ;)

One of those kids you love to give crap to on gamedays, but you know you'd take him on your squad 100 out of 100 times.

Well stated in my opinion.

Jesse said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
We get it, you believe the only reason RH is starting is because his dad is the coach.

Would he be starting if his dad wasn’t the coach. I don’t know the answer and neither do you. The paradox in coach/son relationships is always going to be there, especially at this level when there are bigger athletes available, whether you can ignore it or not. Would RH be starting at NAU if he had stayed? Would he have gotten a scholarship if Jerome and his dad weren’t buddies? Who the hell knows but it warrants some scrutiny don’t you agree or is it totally off limits and blasphemous to utter dissent, so I guess I’m a heretic. Of the 24 starters how many are related to a coach? It’s okay its BH’s call to make, why do you think RH transferred? Of course to play for his old man and that’s what happened from day one.it is what it is, we just happen to disagree. I appreciate your civil discourse it makes posting about Griz football enjoyable like it should be but isn’t. Thanks

As an annoying Cat fan watching this from a distance, I can safely say - you're an idiot. Either that or you're very young. Maybe both. If you would have been alive in the Dickenson era, and had his dad been the head coach, you seem like the type of fan that would have bitched about him starting, saying there were much bigger, stronger, faster QBs on the roster. :D

poorgriz said:
Jesse said:
Would he be starting if his dad wasn’t the coach. I don’t know the answer and neither do you. The paradox in coach/son relationships is always going to be there, especially at this level when there are bigger athletes available, whether you can ignore it or not. Would RH be starting at NAU if he had stayed? Would he have gotten a scholarship if Jerome and his dad weren’t buddies? Who the hell knows but it warrants some scrutiny don’t you agree or is it totally off limits and blasphemous to utter dissent, so I guess I’m a heretic. Of the 24 starters how many are related to a coach? It’s okay its BH’s call to make, why do you think RH transferred? Of course to play for his old man and that’s what happened from day one.it is what it is, we just happen to disagree. I appreciate your civil discourse it makes posting about Griz football enjoyable like it should be but isn’t. Thanks

As an annoying Cat fan watching this from a distance, I can safely say - you're an idiot. Either that or you're very young. Maybe both. If you would have been alive in the Dickenson era, and had his dad been the head coach, you seem like the type of fan that would have bitched about him starting, saying there were much bigger, stronger, faster QBs on the roster. :D
LOL; great point, he would have.

poorgriz said:
Jesse said:

Great point, I mentioned earlier about another Hauck (Tim) that was too small, too slow, we all know how that turned out.

Colt Anderson 5’10” 194

Tim Hauck 5’10” 187

RH 5’10” 185.

Jimmy Wilson 5’11” 205

Torrey and Tyler Thomas 6’0 185

To quote zengriz,
...it’s not the size of the dog in the fight...

I couldn’t find Todd Ericson’s but found this gem

51c4d77ee627a.image.jpg

Multiple levels of real grass in the stadium!

garizzalies said:
Colt Anderson 5’10” 194

Tim Hauck 5’10” 187

RH 5’10” 185.

Jimmy Wilson 5’11” 205

To quote zengriz,

51c4d77ee627a.image.jpg

Jesus Johnson, that’s a pair of real football pants.

CDAGRIZ said:
garizzalies said:
Colt Anderson 5’10” 194

Tim Hauck 5’10” 187

RH 5’10” 185.

Jimmy Wilson 5’11” 205

To quote zengriz,

51c4d77ee627a.image.jpg

Ericson was 6-3, 210, same as Rostad. Look harder.

Ps. This thread has had over 8,700 clicks and PR hasnt even posted yet. Wow seems to be a lot of interest in who’s playing safety for the Griz, or probably not.

poorgriz said:
Jesse said:

I don’t think Jesse understands how important Jerome Souers has been to Griz football. I still think he should have been named head coach when Don Read stepped aside.

I am pretty sure Jesse never saw Super Dave play and saw firsthand what that ‘undersized’ guy did for Griz football. There have been many bigger and stronger QBs at UM, but nobody has surpassed what Dickinson did. The 1995 playoff run in Missoula was incredible, and no way it could have happened without No. 15.

I don’t believe he knows much about the Hauck family and their contributions to Griz football (Bobby was not even the first to coach for UM). He does not appear know about how many athletes recruited as QBs end up contributing at other positions for the Griz.

Take a moment to look at the credentials of this coaching staff. If they decide Rostad is a good fit at LB, then he should play LB. If someone can beat out Robby Hauck, he’ll be on the field instead.

To believe anything else is to ignore reality.

[/quote]
This thread has had over 8,700 clicks and PR hasnt even posted yet. Wow seems to be a lot of interest in who’s playing safety for the Griz, or probably not.
[/quote]

Nope. This thread is about Rostad and whether he should play LB.

Jesse said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Ericson was 6-3, 210, same as Rostad. Look harder.

Ps. This thread has had over 8,700 clicks and PR hasnt even posted yet. Wow seems to be a lot of interest in who’s playing safety for the Griz, or probably not.
Got a link? :pics:
Just wait 'til PR gets the printer hooked up at the lake cabin

This thread has had over 8,700 clicks and PR hasnt even posted yet. Wow seems to be a lot of interest in who’s playing safety for the Griz, or probably not.
[/quote]

Nope. This thread is about Rostad and whether he should play LB.
[/quote]

The best and only argument I have for putting him at LB is that the staff thinks he should play LB, while I have yet to coach a CFB game (maybe I will soon if the admin at USC comes to its senses). Same goes for RH getting starts.

i'm kinda in the middle here. i don't think he belongs anywhere near the league of colt anderson or tim hauck, he's not smart enough or fast enough to make up for mistakes, like they were. also, my experience watching him in games (don't see practices) is that he's the 'last guy on the pile' more frequently than any other player i can remember watching for the griz, and that's how he piles up 'tackles'. i'd say he's serviceable against the run, sometimes even good, his tackling, when he's the guy who really does it, is pretty good, and his pass coverage and judgement are below what i would expect to see from a griz safety, based on watching them these past few decades. he's too slow, and when he gets beat, which is too often, the only way he doesn't get burned is if the other team screws up. he's definitely not in the nguyen brother category, guys who were criticized all the time for untrue b.s., although they did have liabilities for their positions, mainly not being able to maintain speed over distance.

that's just my opinion, go ahead and burn me at the stake for being a leans-toward-heretic.

argh! said:
i'm kinda in the middle here. i don't think he belongs anywhere near the league of colt anderson or tim hauck, he's not smart enough or fast enough to make up for mistakes, like they were. also, my experience watching him in games (don't see practices) is that he's the 'last guy on the pile' more frequently than any other player i can remember watching for the griz, and that's how he piles up 'tackles'. i'd say he's serviceable against the run, sometimes even good, his tackling, when he's the guy who really does it, is pretty good, and his pass coverage and judgement are below what i would expect to see from a griz safety, based on watching them these past few decades. he's too slow, and when he gets beat, which is too often, the only way he doesn't get burned is if the other team screws up. he's definitely not in the nguyen brother category, guys who were criticized all the time for untrue b.s., although they did have liabilities for their positions, mainly not being able to maintain speed over distance.

that's just my opinion, go ahead and burn me at the stake for being a leans-toward-heretic.

To be fair, both Colt and Tim were significantly better players as upperclassmen than they were as freshman and sophomores (as you would expect). The fact that we're comparing someone's underclassmen career to players whose major accolades came in their upperclassmen years says a lot. FWIW, I thought RH played really well most recently in the spring games, which I watched a couple times each. Anyway, RH is likely entering his best two years as a football player and he's already accomplished alot. I'm looking forward to it. One last thing is that we tend to get obsessed with who starts, but quality depth is way more important given the rotation that Bobby likes to employ, imo.

argh! said:

Fair assessment. I guess the real question is: Do you think he’s starting because of who his dad is? And do you think there’s better options who are NOT starting/playing because of who their dad ISN’T? Because no one here is claiming BH doesn’t have holes in his game (albeit pointed out succinctly by Alaska Griz that he’s been a FR & SO his first two starting seasons and we should expect him to get materially better)….it’s Jesse’s proclamation that the ONLY reason he starts and plays is because of who his dad is.

argh! said:
my experience watching him in games (don't see practices) is that he's the 'last guy on the pile' more frequently than any other player i can remember watching for the griz, and that's how he piles up 'tackles'.
Your argument may hold water for assists, unless you also claim he gets credit for SOLO tackles by being the last guy on the pile. In his freshman and sophomore seasons RH accumulated 102 SOLO tackles. Correspondingly, upperclassmen safety teammates Gavin Robertson and Josh Sandry were next with 67 and 61 SOLOs respectively.
RH is a tackling machine, like his uncle before him. While I'll concede his coverage is not star-quality, more average, criticism of his tackling is absurd. Show me a safety with better output in his underclassman years.

My opinion - backed up by data.

kemajic said:
argh! said:
my experience watching him in games (don't see practices) is that he's the 'last guy on the pile' more frequently than any other player i can remember watching for the griz, and that's how he piles up 'tackles'.
Your argument may hold water for assists, unless you also claim he gets credit for SOLO tackles by being the last guy on the pile. In his freshman and sophomore seasons RH accumulated 102 SOLO tackles. Correspondingly, upperclassmen safety teammates Gavin Robertson and Josh Sandry were next with 67 and 61 SOLOs respectively.
RH is a tackling machine, like his uncle before him. While I'll concede his coverage is not star-quality, more average, criticism of his tackling is absurd. Show me a safety with better output in his underclassman years.

My opinion - backed up by data.

i didn't criticize his tackling. i said he had good tackling form. i wonder how many of those solo tackles were after he got beat in coverage? not claiming one way or the other, just wondering. anyway, i wrote what i saw.

AZGrizFan said:
argh! said:

Fair assessment. I guess the real question is: Do you think he’s starting because of who his dad is? And do you think there’s better options who are NOT starting/playing because of who their dad ISN’T? Because no one here is claiming BH doesn’t have holes in his game (albeit pointed out succinctly by Alaska Griz that he’s been a FR & SO his first two starting seasons and we should expect him to get materially better)….it’s Jesse’s proclamation that the ONLY reason he starts and plays is because of who his dad is.

my only thought is that it seems to me that he should be subbed for in passing situations.

Back