• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Next Three years Schedule

Spanky2 said:
dbackjon said:
And then the new conference will have no NCAA autobids to anything for 8 years. Enjoy the CIT for the Conference Champ and no NCAA money
You are a positive gentleman! So we sit back and do nothing and be happy in the mediocrity of the Big Sky Conference? Wouldn’t you like to see more talented players and teams in our stadium?

Just stating facts.

dbackjon said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Yep. Given the article Kem just posted on the previous page with the BSC saying that each team got to pick two rivals, and at least one pick was honored, it makes me wonder who EWU and Idaho picked as “rivals”. Also, I seriously doubt UM picked PSU, so that must mean PSU picked UM? Wtf is that about? I agree with Kem that the MT schools need to throw their weight around a bit more on this stuff.

What, you think Montana is Texas and Montana State is Oklahoma?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What, you think the BSC is the Big 12?

dbackjon said:
EverettGriz said:
If the MWC gets raided, I guarantee you they will approach UM and MSU (as well as NDSU and SDSU) about becoming full members. This is not conjecture; this is fact.

UTEP/Rice/Tulsa/SMU would be first targets. If they only lose one, they may not replace anyone.

Oh, I have little doubt those programs would be approached. But does the Mt West (minus Boise State and Colorado State) have much to incentivize a move from a CUSA team?

EverettGriz said:
dbackjon said:
UTEP/Rice/Tulsa/SMU would be first targets. If they only lose one, they may not replace anyone.

Oh, I have little doubt those programs would be approached. But does the Mt West (minus Boise State and Colorado State) have much to incentivize a move from a CUSA team?

UTEP would say yes before Thompson got past hello.

And much depends on which conference gets raided. If MWC only loses one, UTEP is the logical fill. Big 12 minus OU and UT is still a premiere basketball conference, and I think basketball success will way heavily into their thinking.

Cincy and Memphis would satisfy many criteria.

The Danger with Boise is that they are a one-trick pony, and if the pony goes lame, you are stuck with an academically poor small state school in the middle of nowhere (which is saying something for a conference (Big 8) with teams all over nowhere.

dbackjon said:
EverettGriz said:

And much depends on which conference gets raided. If MWC only loses one, UTEP is the logical fill. Big 12 minus OU and UT is still a premiere basketball conference, and I think basketball success will way heavily into their thinking.

The Danger with Boise is that they are a one-trick pony, and if the pony goes lame, you are stuck with an academically poor small state school in the middle of nowhere (which is saying something for a conference (Big 8) with teams all over nowhere.

Okay, but what does UTEP offer ANYONE?

EverettGriz said:
dbackjon said:

Location. Texas. Past History. Already FBS. Large City.

EverettGriz said:
dbackjon said:

Well, that burgeoning El Paso illegal immigrant market, for starters! :lol:

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/montana-montana-state-get-new-protected-rivals-in-big-sky-conference-play-for-2022-24/article_ae86c5df-5033-5806-b1a5-9c24b6fb5c97.amp.html

garizzalies said:
https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/montana-montana-state-get-new-protected-rivals-in-big-sky-conference-play-for-2022-24/article_ae86c5df-5033-5806-b1a5-9c24b6fb5c97.amp.html

Love how Barnum used his protected “rivals” selection to put butts in the seats. Ain’t nobody wanna go watch EWuu anyhow.

alabamagrizzly said:
garizzalies said:

Love how Barnum used his protected “rivals” selection to put butts in the seats. Ain’t nobody wanna go watch EWuu anyhow.

Yes, I thought his comments were pretty telling. EVERYONE would like Montana and MSU as their protected rivals. For those exact same reasons.

AZGrizFan said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Yes, I thought his comments were pretty telling. EVERYONE would like Montana and MSU as their protected rivals. For those exact same reasons.

But, remember, we have zero bargaining power with the BSC. Might as well not even try to negotiate anything. It simply can’t be done.

League schools were given increased input into their protected rivals, getting to request two but being guaranteed just one of those.
This is so BSC. Makes no sense. What if everyone did what Barnum did? Then what?

CDAGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:

But, remember, we have zero bargaining power with the BSC. Might as well not even try to negotiate anything. It simply can’t be done.

Nope. Powerless.

EverettGriz said:
dbackjon said:

It was only 55 years ago that they were the NCAA Bball champs.

EverettGriz said:
dbackjon said:

A radio and t.v. market, compare theirs to Missoula, which is a big reason why the NCAA does anything....el.paso is at 93, Missoula is at 163.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://mediatracks.com/resources/nielsen-dma-rankings-2020/&ved=2ahUKEwivxpzymJLyAhUXH80KHY_WCJgQFjADegQIExAC&usg=AOvVaw1LCmHSNgqo8MpMzOChm-0m

Cowboys84 said:
EverettGriz said:
A radio and t.v. market, compare theirs to Missoula, which is a big reason why the NCAA does anything....el.paso is at 93, Missoula is at 163.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://mediatracks.com/resources/nielsen-dma-rankings-2020/&ved=2ahUKEwivxpzymJLyAhUXH80KHY_WCJgQFjADegQIExAC&usg=AOvVaw1LCmHSNgqo8MpMzOChm-0m

Ha! This is laughable. Market share only matters if people are interested and, you know, actually tune in. In 2019, UTEP's average home attendance was 10,115, well below the NCAA FBS requirement of 15k. And as you're certainly aware, well, well below MONTANA's average home attendance. I don't think advertisers will be knocking down the door at the ncaa offices to get in on UTEP games.

As an aside, how did this plan work out for the bsc (#bsc)?

Back