• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Brown

1. Oline is challenged because there is no run game. Dline is just worried about getting to the QB and not worrying about a running play except a broke pass play. So the dline is just pinned their ears back an pass rushing.
2. No running game.
3. Inexperienced qb.

84GRIZ said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Freshman QB. That’s reason #1. It’s almost always a mess.

OC needs to f###[#] help the freshman QB. He is not.

Brown has every attribute to be an unbelievable QB in the future. Big athletic strong arm and very accurate. But it’s never going to look like it as a freshman.

Brown has three major issues. First he has no pocket awareness or movement. If you ever watched Cam he is / was really good at moving his feet and sliding around the pocket to give himself more time and to help out his O lineman. It is a huge advantage to the Dline if they know were the QB is going to be when they start the play and Brown just has no movement in the pocket and it is a huge reason why he has had so many sacks and related fumbles.

Second issue is he locks in on the receivers. On the fake spike play at the end of the first half he never even looked at the left side of the field and threw an 8 yard out to the right. If he had looked to the left he would have seen the wide receiver on that side was practically standing in the end zone uncovered. The cornerback on that side never even moved until the receiver was 10 yards past him.

Third issue is confidence. After he threw the interception after we got the fumbled punt he was shot. He needs to move on and make a play. Turnovers are going to happen.

With that I am going to chase elk for a week. Go Griz, Beat the Spuds!!!!!

You are right, he has NO pocket presence or awareness whatsoever! That is something he should have learned in high school.

'68griz said:
84GRIZ said:
Brown has three major issues. First he has no pocket awareness or movement. If you ever watched Cam he is / was really good at moving his feet and sliding around the pocket to give himself more time and to help out his O lineman. It is a huge advantage to the Dline if they know were the QB is going to be when they start the play and Brown just has no movement in the pocket and it is a huge reason why he has had so many sacks and related fumbles.

Second issue is he locks in on the receivers. On the fake spike play at the end of the first half he never even looked at the left side of the field and threw an 8 yard out to the right. If he had looked to the left he would have seen the wide receiver on that side was practically standing in the end zone uncovered. The cornerback on that side never even moved until the receiver was 10 yards past him.

Third issue is confidence. After he threw the interception after we got the fumbled punt he was shot. He needs to move on and make a play. Turnovers are going to happen.

With that I am going to chase elk for a week. Go Griz, Beat the Spuds!!!!!

You are right, he has NO pocket presence or awareness whatsoever! That is something he should have learned in high school.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! Please stop!

AZGrizFan said:
hunt-ducks said:
Brown has plenty of arm strength. We have re-hashed the reasons why he has not looked like Tom Brady many times on here. But few want to give the kid a break for being very young, with only two games of starting experience, a very poor blocking O-line, and offense which doesn't help a young QB by asking him to function in 3-step and 5-step drops and slow-developing WR trees, rather than quick slants, TE drags, and outs, no running game to keep the defenders from pinning their ears back in the rush, and an offensive scheme which looks more like a high school offense.

Yes, Brown does not yet see the field, and secondary receivers well. Yes, Brown occasionally throws into coverage (just like our 6th year 24 year-old QB still does). Give the kid a chance to grow into the position, for Christ's sake!

I have tried to find Jordy Johnson's freshman passing stats from 2010, but can only find that he played in 6 games, completed 52% of his passes, and had two interceptions. Jordy worked-out pretty well in the following three years he started. The verdict is still out on Brown, but jeeez, cut the kid some slack!

Why, in a year where everything else about this team was championship calibre at the beginning of the year, would you ever want a kid playing QB that has to "grow into the position"? If he (Brown) has all of these shortcomings (which you're just NOW admitting to, despite months of claiming he was the best QB on the roster), isn't that exhibit A for why Cam was starting over him? I think we're seeing right now, in real time, why Brown wasn't the starter.

And FFS, literally EVERY pass he threw against Sac State was within 3 yards of the LOS. When he DID take a 5-step drop he held the ball too long, was sacked, and inevitably fumbles. As 84 pointed out, he has almost zero pocket awareness, doesn't move around, doesn't feel the rush, holds the ball too long, locks in on receivers, etc., etc., and then gets blindsided and fumbles (on three of the four Dixie State sacks, FFS)....ALL these things make the offense (and in particular the offensive line) look WAY worse. And when the defense knows there won't be a pass longer than 5 yards, that makes THEIR job a shitload easier to just pin their ears back and charge in.

UW - 1 sack
WIU - 0 sacks
CP - 2 sacks
EWU - 3 sacks
Dixie State - 4 sacks
Sac State - 4 sacks

the O-line has given up more sacks in Brown's 2 starts than in the four games previous. I don't think that's a coincidence.

And despite all that, I do believe Brown could be a good/great QB someday. That day just isn't today. And another season will be shit down UM's collective leg because we don't have a serviceable backup for the most important position on the field.

Why don't you just suit-up? You're such a freakin' QB guru and all. So, you were the leader of men in the service, huh? I'll bet they just LOVED your ass!

hunt-ducks said:
AZGrizFan said:
Why, in a year where everything else about this team was championship calibre at the beginning of the year, would you ever want a kid playing QB that has to "grow into the position"? If he (Brown) has all of these shortcomings (which you're just NOW admitting to, despite months of claiming he was the best QB on the roster), isn't that exhibit A for why Cam was starting over him? I think we're seeing right now, in real time, why Brown wasn't the starter.

And FFS, literally EVERY pass he threw against Sac State was within 3 yards of the LOS. When he DID take a 5-step drop he held the ball too long, was sacked, and inevitably fumbles. As 84 pointed out, he has almost zero pocket awareness, doesn't move around, doesn't feel the rush, holds the ball too long, locks in on receivers, etc., etc., and then gets blindsided and fumbles (on three of the four Dixie State sacks, FFS)....ALL these things make the offense (and in particular the offensive line) look WAY worse. And when the defense knows there won't be a pass longer than 5 yards, that makes THEIR job a shitload easier to just pin their ears back and charge in.

UW - 1 sack
WIU - 0 sacks
CP - 2 sacks
EWU - 3 sacks
Dixie State - 4 sacks
Sac State - 4 sacks

the O-line has given up more sacks in Brown's 2 starts than in the four games previous. I don't think that's a coincidence.

And despite all that, I do believe Brown could be a good/great QB someday. That day just isn't today. And another season will be shit down UM's collective leg because we don't have a serviceable backup for the most important position on the field.

Why don't you just suit-up? You're such a freakin' QB guru and all. So, you were the leader of men in the service, huh? I'll bet they just LOVED your ass!

:lol: :lol: And a proven plagiarizer and liar sits on "multiple" medical company boards. No wonder our medical community is in such dire straights....people like YOU making the decisions.

PS: I'll stop when you answer my question. Until then? Suck it up, buttercup.

AZGrizFan said:
hunt-ducks said:

:lol: :lol: And a proven plagiarizer and liar sits on "multiple" medical company boards. No wonder our medical community is in such dire straights....people like YOU making the decisions.

He's got a point AZ. I mean you griped on a message board so the only obvious and logical thing to do would be to suit up. It's the exact reason that hunt-ducks has NEVER criticized and player or coach because he's smart enough to know that if he went down that road, the only logical rebuttal would be to tell him to suit up or coach. It just doesn't make sense which is why he never criticizes nor does he ever complain about things he doesn't like because he doesn't like the only obvious solution of having to suit up.

Very wise.

This shows something I’ve been thinking about recently

With Keintz at RG
UW - 1 sack
WIU - 0 sacks
CP - 2 sacks

Without Keintz
EWU - 3 sacks
Dixie State - 4 sacks
Sac State - 4 sacks

Makes me wonder where we’d be if he hadn’t retired. I know it’s about next man up but this has had me realizing how big of a blow it was to the offense.

ilovethecats said:
AZGrizFan said:

He's got a point AZ. I mean you griped on a message board so the only obvious and logical thing to do would be to suit up. It's the exact reason that hunt-ducks has NEVER criticized and player or coach because he's smart enough to know that if he went down that road, the only logical rebuttal would be to tell him to suit up or coach. It just doesn't make sense which is why he never criticizes nor does he ever complain about things he doesn't like because he doesn't like the only obvious solution of having to suit up.

Very wise.

I see your point. Valid. I'll be at the practice field tomorrow. Bobby Boucher got NOTHIN' on me!

Griztrain said:
This shows something I’ve been thinking about recently

With Keintz at RG
UW - 1 sack
WIU - 0 sacks
CP - 2 sacks

Without Keintz
EWU - 3 sacks
Dixie State - 4 sacks
Sac State - 4 sacks

Makes me wonder where we’d be if he hadn’t retired. I know it’s about next man up but this has had me realizing how big of a blow it was to the offense.

Yes, I was thinking about that the other day as well....which is weird since Mallory started pretty much all of last season, you'd think he'd be better. But, it's apparent depth on the O-line has become an issue.

hunt-ducks said:
I have tried to find Jordy Johnson's freshman passing stats from 2010, but can only find that he played in 6 games, completed 52% of his passes, and had two interceptions. Jordy worked-out pretty well in the following three years he started. The verdict is still out on Brown, but jeeez, cut the kid some slack!

Not sure where you got the stats. I got the following from actual box scores. He may have played in 6 but passing stats for only 4 games. I’ll go back and update for rushing ….

@NoCo 4/5 for 22 yards, 0 tds, 0 ints
Vs ISU 7/9 for 19 yards, 1 td, 0 ints
Vs NAU 4/5 for 14 yards, 0 tds, 0 ints
@ WSU 0/1 for 0 yards, 0 tds, 0 ints

Total: 15/20 for 55 yards, 1 td, 0 ints

Rushing stats ….
@ NoCo 4 for 18 yds (16 yards was his long)
Vs ISU 1 for 1 yds
Vs NAU 1 for -5 yds

Total: 6 for 14 yards, 0 tds

The same people who are all freaked out and acting like the world is coming to an end will be singing praises Saturday. Brown will look great. Hell might throw 7 td's

retiredpopo said:
The same people who are all freaked out and acting like the world is coming to an end will be singing praises Saturday. Brown will look great. Hell might throw 7 td's

Same people complaining about the running game after one bad game. They seem to forget how well Harris has done this year.

Excluding quarterbacks 174 rushes for 812 yards, 4.7 yards per carry

hunt-ducks said:

You would think that somebody in Mensa could use google.

https://gogriz.com/sports/football/roster/jordan-johnson/2313

Click on stats and then select 2010 in the season drop down.

ordigger said:
retiredpopo said:

Same people complaining about the running game after one bad game. They seem to forget how well Harris has done this year.

Yes those same people. Kind of sad really. Anybody who truly thinks Idaho will be a close game are out of their minds.

ordigger said:
hunt-ducks said:

Not sure where you got the stats. I got the following from actual box scores. He may have played in 6 but passing stats for only 4 games. I’ll go back and update for rushing ….

@NoCo 4/5 for 22 yards, 0 tds, 0 ints
Vs ISU 7/9 for 19 yards, 1 td, 0 ints
Vs NAU 4/5 for 14 yards, 0 tds, 0 ints
@ WSU 0/1 for 0 yards, 0 tds, 0 ints

Total: 15/20 for 55 yards, 1 td, 0 ints

Rushing stats ….
@ NoCo 4 for 18 yds (16 yards was his long)
Vs ISU 1 for 1 yds
Vs NAU 1 for -5 yds

Total: 6 for 14 yards, 0 tds

He was a true freshman and QB3 behind Selle and Roper that year. I wonder how many snaps he got.

retiredpopo said:
ordigger said:

Yes those same people. Kind of sad really. Anybody who truly thinks Idaho will be a close game are out of their minds.

I am admittedly out of my mind for myriad reasons. But I think it could well be a close game.

EverettGriz said:
retiredpopo said:

I am admittedly out of my mind for myriad reasons. But I think it could well be a close game.

Well hopefully after Saturday's game you will focus on some of those other reasons with the comfort knowing that the griz are better than you thought they were

ordigger said:
retiredpopo said:

Is Harris going to play? He didn’t play the entire 2nd half Saturday….nor did Childs play. That leave Bergen and Janacaro.

Unless the defense/ST score, I think this game is closer than many would like. The weakness of the Idaho defense is the secondary, and well, I am not sure that the Griz can take advantage.

HelenaHandBasket said:
hunt-ducks said:

You would think that somebody in Mensa could use google.

https://gogriz.com/sports/football/roster/jordan-johnson/2313

Click on stats and then select 2010 in the season drop down.

You'd think that such self-verified genius could do better than live in a 1986 trailer in East Helena

Back