• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UCLA/USC

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
I just don't think the Pac12 adds any MWC schools. I think they feel out the Big 10 and Big 12 for opportunities but are fine with sticking with 10 teams. I think their will be a shuffle of the current schools in the Power 5, but no movement of schools into a Power 5 from outside.

Pretty sure it will be the PAC 8 soon. I don’t think Washington and Oregon will be far behind USC and UCLA. Already rumors floating around that they’re in the application process

Not sure this disproves my point. The other 10 schools have some time, , they will look to shuffle with the other P5 schools as opposed to inviting MWC schools.

EverettGriz said:
mthoopsfan said:
My Pac-12 friends say that the Pac-12 Network was producing about 15% of what they once talked about. The regionalization of the conference games turned out to be stupid. USC is a power, but UCLA not so much. Oregon and Washington are big, but Oregon isn't a very good school and may not be welcome in the Big 10. The Pac-12 region is small and good for travel, but also small for TV and TV income. Oregon and Eugene very small, but, yes, Phil Knight.

Will be interesting. I still think UM should go to the SEC. Would help recruiting.

Why don't the "big" schools just get together and decide who they want, with the tv people also in the room? Then, the big schools could decide who would be in which of their several conferences (maybe new names for conferences), again with the tv people in the room.

And then the next tier of schools could do the same thing. And then the next tier.

The NCAA could be dissolved.

Little, or big, schools that were punished for violations that no longer exist or now are allowed, or even encouraged could apply for reparations. Montana would be one of the first schools in that line. Every punishment for a hot dog violation would result in a $100,000 reparation.

All big time QB's and skill players, and most pretty women in bigger sports, would be guaranteed at least half a million in NIL money, as a base.

The Ivies would drop all major sports, so that more geeks could be admitted.

Presidents of the Big 4 schools would now report to the Athletic Directors.

Retiring Big 4 coaches would be offered the chance to become US Senators.

I don't understand. Tuscon to LA to SLC to Boulder to Seattle is the largest geographic FBS conference by far. And small for TV revenue? It encompasses the 2nd, 6th, 12th and 14th, 17th and 25th largest markets in the nation.

It doesn't surprise us that you don't understand. The Pac 12 is way behind in tv and more, and that continues.

Last PAC 12 team in FBS playoffs was 2016. SLC and Boulder? Is that a joke?

"The Big Ten distributed as much as $54 million in TV revenue to its schools in the 2018 fiscal year, dwarfing the $29.5 million the Pac-12 paid out. The SEC paid out as much as $43.7 million to its schools, while the Big 12 was at $38.8 million and the A.C.C., whose revenues will get a bump this year with the start of its conference network, was at $29.5 million along with the Pac-12, whose payout decreased by $1.5 million from 2017."

Here's a good overview from 2019. It's only gotten worse for the PAC 12.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/20/sports/pac-12-tv-recruiting.html#:~:text=Though%20the%20Pac-12%20has%20an%20enviable%20TV%20footprint%2C,sheet%20under%20the%20terms%20of%20its%20television%20deals.

I thought this process would take place in 3 to 5 years. As of today it is now 2 to 3! The P5 or if you prefer, the P4 Conferences are going to consolidate power and resources and eventually negotiate their own TV contract outside of the governance of the NCAA.

Everyone else will be scrambling for what's left.

It's now or never for schools like UM, MSU and NDSU boys and girls!

Gaeilge1 said:
I thought this process would take place in 3 to 5 years. As of today it is now 2 to 3! The P5 or if you prefer, the P4 Conferences are going to consolidate power and resources and eventually negotiate their own TV contract outside of the governance of the NCAA.

Everyone else will be scrambling for what's left.

It's now or never for schools like UM, MSU and NDSU boys and girls!
Agree

mthoopsfan said:
EverettGriz said:
I don't understand. Tuscon to LA to SLC to Boulder to Seattle is the largest geographic FBS conference by far. And small for TV revenue? It encompasses the 2nd, 6th, 12th and 14th, 17th and 25th largest markets in the nation.

It doesn't surprise us that you don't understand. The Pac 12 is way behind in tv and more, and that continues.

"The Big Ten distributed as much as $54 million in TV revenue to its schools in the 2018 fiscal year, dwarfing the $29.5 million the Pac-12 paid out. The SEC paid out as much as $43.7 million to its schools, while the Big 12 was at $38.8 million and the A.C.C., whose revenues will get a bump this year with the start of its conference network, was at $29.5 million along with the Pac-12, whose payout decreased by $1.5 million from 2017."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/20/sports/pac-12-tv-recruiting.html#:~:text=Though%20the%20Pac-12%20has%20an%20enviable%20TV%20footprint%2C,sheet%20under%20the%20terms%20of%20its%20television%20deals.

No one is suggesting the P12 revenue is not below other conferences. But that certainly ain’t due to the reasons you propose: a small geographic footprint and small tv markets, as I clearly, objectively and incontrovertibly outline above.

Ans no, SLC and Boulder being P12 cities is not a joke, but rather very, very unjokish.

Here is what I think will happen...

Big 10: will absorb the Pac 12 and go into a 3 division Conference
SEC: will absorb the Big 12 and the ACC and become a 3 division Congerence

Those divisions will play each other, and then the winners PLUS a wildcard team will play for a national chpionship in a 3 game championship.

The rest of the "FBS" will be left behind and combine with the FCS teams that can compete moneywise. What is left of the FCS will be moved to Division 2.

Two super conferences. ESPN and Fox will dictate who goes to those two conferences and they'll poach schools based upon regional rivalries. The institutions with superiority complexes?

https://www.denverpost.com/2022/06/30/cu-buffs-pac-12-options-usc-ucla-big-ten/

Had to add this for your reading pleasure:

https://www.deseret.com/2022/6/30/23190396/usc-ucla-leaving-pac-12-for-big-ten-where-does-this-leave-utah-utes-kyle-whittingham-mark-harlan

Was it just a couple years ago Colorado and Utah looked down their nose at the conferences they were in to join the pac 8? Reminds me of what Boise state said when they left the sky: "We've outgrown the big sky..."

Would be hilarious to see all of those egos in the same conference again, as the Disney world crowd is hoping byu and Utah wind up in the same conference again...

Again and again:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/463/1311

History repeats itself:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.upi.com/amp/Archives/1981/08/09/College-football-will-be-played-in-prime-time-for/9215366177600/

original-1305-1632604632-18.jpg

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
EverettGriz said:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

For the love of Christ I hope so! I’d give my left nut for the Griz to be in the Mountain west. My money is on Boise and SDSU to the PAC
I would doubt the PAC would allow BSU in the conference with their second rate academics. Also, the state university system of California is not looked at favorably either. I think they will stay with 10. Or they could elevate UC Davis and Cal Poly which fit the mold academically.

indian-outlaw said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
For the love of Christ I hope so! I’d give my left nut for the Griz to be in the Mountain west. My money is on Boise and SDSU to the PAC
I would doubt the PAC would allow BSU in the conference with their second rate academics. Also, the state university system of California is not looked at favorably either. I think they will stay with 10. Or they could elevate UC Davis and Cal Poly which fit the mold academically.

It's not about academics. It's not about regional rivalries. It's about money.

Oregon, Washington, the Arizona schools, Cal, Stanford, Colorado--they are gone. Richer conferences beckon. You cannot remain in a small regional conference with limited TV money if you want to remain at the highest level of intercollegiate athletics.

And all these schools do, believe me.

Washington State? Oregon State? No markets. Good luck.

The Pac 12 is history.

citay said:
indian-outlaw said:

It's not about academics. It's not about regional rivalries. It's about money.

Oregon, Washington, the Arizona schools, Cal, Stanford, Colorado--they are gone. Richer conferences beckon. You cannot remain in a small regional conference with limited TV money if you want to remain at the highest level of intercollegiate athletics.

And all these schools do, believe me.

Washington State? Oregon State? No markets. Good luck.

The Pac 12 is history.
Maybe so, but your not going to see BSU, Fresno State or SDSU in the PAC12.

EverettGriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

No one is suggesting the P12 revenue is not below other conferences. But that certainly ain’t due to the reasons you propose: a small geographic footprint and small tv markets, as I clearly, objectively and incontrovertibly outline above.

Ans no, SLC and Boulder being P12 cities is not a joke, but rather very, very unjokish.

Alabama. (No major pro competition)
Georgia (The Atlanta Falcons. Braves. And Atlanta a United is more successful than the first and bigger than the indoor teams. Eh, it is the south)
Clemson (No major pro competition)
Ohio State (Cleveland Browns, Cincinnati Bengals, continuing the “what have they ever won” theme)

And we can go down the line.

Whereas the Pac-12 conference is a cavalcade of schools in markets with mostly better pro teams, depending on what you think of the Cardinals or Chargers. The exceptions are Arizona (a basketball school), Washington State (Pullman is so far away from, oh, anything), and arguably the Oregon schools, except they’re close enough to Portland that radio stations in Portland run traffic reports for down the valley on football game days. The West Coast has a lot of major markets and really few “mid-major markets” that drive up the rural population of their states in the manner that the Midwest has in spades. The South is really more mid-major markets than major ones.

Then the coast has a more transient population. Put it this way… I know where Portland’s Kansas State fans congregate for games, and that’s at an intersection near downtown that gets more traffic in a typical morning than will show up in a season of Portland State games.

Pounder said:
EverettGriz said:

Alabama. (No major pro competition)
Georgia (The Atlanta Falcons. Braves. And Atlanta a United is more successful than the first and bigger than the indoor teams. Eh, it is the south)
Clemson (No major pro competition)
Ohio State (Cleveland Browns, Cincinnati Bengals, continuing the “what have they ever won” theme)

And we can go down the line.

Whereas the Pac-12 conference is a cavalcade of schools in markets with mostly better pro teams, depending on what you think of the Cardinals or Chargers. The exceptions are Arizona (a basketball school), Washington State (Pullman is so far away from, oh, anything), and arguably the Oregon schools, except they’re close enough to Portland that radio stations in Portland run traffic reports for down the valley on football game days. The West Coast has a lot of major markets and really few “mid-major markets” that drive up the rural population of their states in the manner that the Midwest has in spades. The South is really more mid-major markets than major ones.

Then the coast has a more transient population. Put it this way… I know where Portland’s Kansas State fans congregate for games, and that’s at an intersection near downtown that gets more traffic in a typical morning than will show up in a season of Portland State games.

Man, you make me miss the south! Your discussion ought to take into consideration that Tuscaloosa is only a couple hundred miles from Hotlanta, that Clemson is only 125 miles from Hotlanta (Athens is about 60 miles from Hotlanta on the way to Clemson just a bit off the interstate). North Carolina has a lot of untapped football.

The entire SEC is a short drive from one school to the other with few exceptions. Columbia, Missouri and College Station are quite a ways away from Columbia, SC and Gainsville, FL but consider how far it is from Glendive to Missoula. Lots of folks out west make those drives all football season.

When you throw in all the 1-AA schools and Group of 5 schools within driving distance of Hotlanta, it's a sports fans dream come true! Notice, I didn't mention all the DII schools and conferences.

As far as the pac 8? How many people in their right mind want to fly into Portland, for instance, and go freeze their ass off in Corvallis or Eugene? Seattle? Same damn thing. I thought I died and went to hell when I was stationed at Fort Lewis...Same with the bay area for those two elitist left leaning shit holes in Berkley and Palo whatever. No wonder the powers that be in Cali want to get UCLA away from UC Davis' mother school...

Some of the conference realignment that's happening reminds me of when Georgia Tech and UGA had to get away from each other as did Clemson and UGA quit playing with each other for a few years.

Anyway, there's a lot of good going to come out of the demise of the pac. The remaining schools will quit hanging on USC and UCLA's coat tails and quit looking down on the "Mighty" MWC and "Big" Sky Conference schools. (Who beat the Huskies the first game of the year last year and what did the Washington media depict that event as? Egotistical bunch of assholes).

HelenaHandBasket said:
Jon Wilner
@wilnerhotline
·
8m
Source: USC and UCLA are planning to leave for the Big Ten as early as 2024. Move *has not been finalized* at the highest levels of power.

If that means Rutgers and Maryland are gone, I'm for it

The Oregon and Washington State Legislatures’ will not allow Oregon State or Washington State to be separated from their respective “big”bros Oregon and Washington.

info said:
The Oregon and Washington State Legislatures’ will not allow Oregon State or Washington State to be separated from their respective “big”bros Oregon and Washington.

Cali and UCLA and Hippieville Berkley? For that matter, Montana State and the University of Montana? Georgia Tech and Georgia went to different conferences about the time you were in northeast Montana and Iowa and Iowa State split. Never say never.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
I just don't think the Pac12 adds any MWC schools. I think they feel out the Big 10 and Big 12 for opportunities but are fine with sticking with 10 teams. I think their will be a shuffle of the current schools in the Power 5, but no movement of schools into a Power 5 from outside.

Pretty sure it will be the PAC 8 soon. I don’t think Washington and Oregon will be far behind USC and UCLA. Already rumors floating around that they’re in the application process

I just heard this tonight as well on some podcast saying that Washington and Oregon are shopping and ready to leave the PAC.

Latest posts

Back