• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Next Up: Sac State

HelenaHandBasket said:
HookedonGriz said:
Agree, but he builds that roster.

My point, I don't think he has lost them, he just built a bad team.

Oh gotcha, yes not good at all. I miss the Oguine and Rorie and Pridgett type players. We have nothing like that now.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
Griz are 21-23 in Big Sky games since Covid shut down the world. DeCuire went 85-27 six years prior.
Colter why do you think that is? I'm curious to get your thoughts about what's going on!

Griz til I die said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:
Griz are 21-23 in Big Sky games since Covid shut down the world. DeCuire went 85-27 six years prior.
Colter why do you think that is? I'm curious to get your thoughts about what's going on!

Not sure how Covid plays into things, but it could be argued that Travis does the poorest job recruiting the transfer portal in the BSC.

Griz til I die said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:

Tune into Nuanez Now today. We will talk about it quite a bit. I'll post the podcast link here too if you miss it.

Live from 4-6 p.m. on 102.9 FM in Western Montana and SWX Montana television, streamed on the ESPN MT app and at 1029espn.com, archived on the Nuanez Now podcast.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Griz til I die said:

Not sure how Covid plays into things, but it could be argued that Travis does the poorest job recruiting the transfer portal in the BSC.
I think Dischon Thomas is a pretty good player and we're lucky to have him. He had a bunch of P5 interest, so that was a great pickup. Moody was a familiar product to the Griz and we needed his sharpshooting skills from behind the arc as that was something that was seriously lacking. Who specifically are you referring to?

Griz til I die said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
I think Dischon Thomas is a pretty good player and we're lucky to have him. He had a bunch of P5 interest, so that was a great pickup. Moody was a familiar product to the Griz and we needed his sharpshooting skills from behind the arc as that was something that was seriously lacking. Who specifically are you referring to?

I like DT and especially like Moody. BUT, WE ARE NOT WINNING!!!! Top to bottom, high school recruits, or transfers. We are not fielding a team that wins games.

Griz til I die said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

DT is a 3-point shooter,and only slightly above average there. He rarely scores down low. He can match up defensively against a big-man, but he doesn't play offense like a true dominant post player

Zirg said:
Griz til I die said:

DT is a 3-point shooter,and only slightly above average there. He rarely scores down low. He can match up defensively against a big-man, but he doesn't play offense like a true dominant post player

Agreed. He’s soft. Plays like a Dirk Nowitski and not a Kevin Garnett. Nothing but 3’s and fadeaways.

AZGrizFan said:
Zirg said:

Agreed. He’s soft. Plays like a Dirk Nowitski and not a Kevin Garnett. Nothing but 3’s and fadeaways.

You consider Dirk soft?

Griz til I die said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I would just look at the impact schools like MSU and EWU have gotten from transfers. Work your way through the BSC, and compare it to Montana.

The comparison to Nowitskie is right on when you look at Thomas’s game. He has the size of a four but his game is more akin to a three. Likes to shoot from the outside and is not inclined to rebound like you would expect from someone with his size.
Don’t know what was wrong with Mac. I saw him on the bench so he did make the trip.
I think offensively Travis is trying to fit square pegs into round holes.
I would think that Moody would be better served to come off the bench. He’s not a great defender and if you look at his numbers as fas minutes played the greater his minutes it seems to diminish his shooting late in the game.
I really like Nap but not sure where his game is. He’s a good passer and I think he moves well so I’d like to see him at the 2 guard spot. Our guards are small and I think that’s a detriment to our defense because they are forced to guard taller guards who can make entry passes over them.
Truth be told I’m not a coach but have played the game in high school and pickup games in college. But my observations tell me we just don’t have the right fit in terms of players for Travis’s system.

Sport said:
The comparison to Nowitskie is right on when you look at Thomas’s game. He has the size of a four but his game is more akin to a three. Likes to shoot from the outside and is not inclined to rebound like you would expect from someone with his size.
Don’t know what was wrong with Mac. I saw him on the bench so he did make the trip.
I would think that Moody would be better served to come off the bench. He’s not a great defender and if you look at his numbers as fas minutes played the greater his minutes it seems to diminish his shooting late in the game.
I really like Nap but not sure where his game is. He’s a good passer and I think he moves well so I’d like to see him at the 2 guard spot. Our guards are small and I think that’s a detriment to our defense because they are forced to guard taller guards who can make entry passes over them.
Truth be told I’m not a coach but have played the game in high school and pickup games in college. But my observations tell me we just don’t have the right fit in terms of players for Travis’s system.
I cannot figure out what Travis' system is? Slow, lethargic, hold the ball until there is 4 seconds left on the shot clock? Generally, no rebounding, especially on offensive boards? Or, maybe its a ropadope system where UM only pretends to fall to 7th place so they can surprise the conference in the tournament?

Sport said:
Time to clean house. I don’t know when Travis’s contract expires but this is one of the worst performances by a Griz team in many years. As pointed out 7 field goals in the 2nd half against one of the worst teams in the league is totally bull poop.
Can hardly wait to see Cameron Parker for the Vikings ripe us a new one on Saturday night.
On the other hand the ladies came back from 14/16 down to start the 4th quarter and pulled out a 4 point win against the number one team in the BSC.

You called? Unfortunately, I don't think there will be enough people caring aka a vocal fan base to drive any sort of urgent change...All the hard work by the athletic department to undersell and poorly market Griz basketball (no state wide radio much less tv and weak crowds for home games) will pay off for them because there won't be a big fuss about this. People will just become apathic...sadly myself included, the only time I find myself thinking about Griz basketball this year is when I get the bill for ESPN+ and wonder if its worth keeping. I felt bad about not even remembering the Griz cat game last week, but then watched this game and was reminded how forgettable this era of Griz basketball is. I don't mind rebuilding and following through hard times, but when you watch these teams you stop caring because it doesnt look like thier building toward anything...Its the lack of player development and the lack of adjustments to weaknesses that leaves you feeling hopeless as a fan. Sayeed was the last player you saw make really good growth mentally and as a shooter, was brick layer early on and developed a solid 3pt shot by the end of his career. Watching this team is sort of like watching a football team going through a rebuild while also knowing you dont have The Guy at QB to lead you into the future (Cough Cough Mac Jones) so its hard to get invested when you dont see any light at the end of the tunnel. This Griz team seems to spend their time playing conservative eek out ugly win now basketball...to what end cause they aint winning anything of import.

GrizLA said:
Sport said:
I cannot figure out what Travis' system is? Slow, lethargic, hold the ball until there is 4 seconds left on the shot clock? Generally, no rebounding, especially on offensive boards? Or, maybe its a ropadope system where UM only pretends to fall to 7th place so they can surprise the conference in the tournament?
Travis took Mick Delany football and translated it to basketball. What ever the basketball version of shorten the game run the ball up the middle on 1st and 2nd down and win in the trenches on OLine and Dline is thats what Griz BB tries to play...Problem is it only works if you NDSU and can just win one on one matches based on having better athletes, if you don't have that you are going to find yourself punting a lot....watching the Griz play basketball is as fun as watching a 3 and out punt fest in football.

CleanHOUSE said:
....watching the Griz play basketball is as fun as watching a 3 and out punt fest in football.

I'm gonna disagree, at least football is violent and a good hit is fun to watch. Bad basketball is different. The Griz don't have any high fliers or flashy players, I don't think Ive watched a game this year and have seen a dunk, and on top of all that they lose. I don't think you could pay me to go to a game in Dahlberg to watch that nonsense.

Obviously the second half was a shit show.

Travis has an all-conference post who he's used as a wing, point forward, power forward and center at varying times this year. He's created or implemented an offense to accentuate Bannan's skills, and while not exceedingly sexy, it has had the desired impact of getting the one player night in and night out the opportunity to impact the game. That is sort of why up until Thursday they had found a way to stay in games, complete, because giving Bannan the vast majority of offensive touches made most of those around him better.

The problem? If he's not good, then the rest of the team isn't either. He is in the top five in the conference in Hollingers PER and no other Grizzly player is in top 15. Whitney ranks 20th, Moody 21st, Thomas 22nd. Moody and Thomas are clearly better when Bannan is good, and they don't have the ability to be offensively dominant by themselves. Whitney is who Whitney is. Above league average when he can find a way to the rim, when he can't he's not worth much on the floor.

Clearly for as much as they filled noticeable holes at SG/PF, the rest of the lineup is just as weak as it was last year. Bannan was terrible offensively Thursday night and Whitney looked either lost or disinterested. Clearly Travis was frustrated w/ BW and you could see why. There isn't another player than can carry the offense when either of those are shooting blanks, and its not apparent that there is an answer on the roster.

I still hold out hope that Nap can be that guy, but he absolutely got manhandled on Thursday and he needs to build some additional strength for sure. As I noted in another thread, Money Williams has a feel of when you watch him play of that player we had in Rorie, Oguine and Pridgett. Don't know if Davidson is going to have an immediate impact, but he has a very similar game to Dischon Thomas as a wing/PF.

Its clear though that Travis is going to need to find a PG/SG in the portal that can pair with Bannan. I like Whitney but I just don't think they compliment each other as well, or BW is going to have accentuate a part of his game that we haven't seen much of yet. I'm gonna guess when all is said and done there are going to be one or two scholarships available (none now) in the spring.

I do think this team is better than last year, does a better job utilizing its best players offensively, but it is far from complete and when the don't show up, there aren't many if any at all options to look to when Bannan isn't on.

griznative24 said:
CleanHOUSE said:
....watching the Griz play basketball is as fun as watching a 3 and out punt fest in football.

I'm gonna disagree, at least football is violent and a good hit is fun to watch. Bad basketball is different. The Griz don't have any high fliers or flashy players, I don't think Ive watched a game this year and have seen a dunk, and on top of all that they lose. I don't think you could pay me to go to a game in Dahlberg to watch that nonsense.

Yeah of course, I love triple option football. But when you don't have the horses to run downhill on the other team yet you insist on "establishing the run" and going 3 and out....thats more what Im talking about

Back