• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Why no top notch QB's at UM?

HelenaHandBasket said:
zootownrox said:
In what way? I never said he was top notch, that was my point.

You do believe they wasted his talent, and I don't believe many feel the same way. Most feel they wasted the talent of others by giving reps to Brown.

Yes...agree. Failed or didn't recognize his shortcomings relative to Britt and his shortcomings. Britt needed the additional reps and coaching and did not get it as soon as he should have.

HelenaHandBasket said:
zootownrox said:

You do believe they wasted his talent, and I don't believe many feel the same way. Most feel they wasted the talent of others by giving reps to Brown.

I should restate it then - Kris Brown was an example of how the play calling and lack of development led to no development. Whatever amount of talent y'all think Brown had - say he started as a 4 (out of whatever) my point he is not better than he was when he enrolled and maybe even worse (like a 3.5 out of whatever). My point was that the coaches haven't developed a top notch QB - and we are not going to have top notch QBs waltz into our program out of high school, so if we want one we need to develop one. Even the older drop downs we have had in Sneed and LJ weren't 'top notch' you still need to develop the older guys and the bad play calling has also hindered the older guys abilities. So to answer the OP question - the offensive coaching is the reason why.

zootownrox said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I should restate it then - Kris Brown was an example of how the play calling and lack of development led to no development. Whatever amount of talent y'all think Brown had - say he started as a 4 (out of whatever) my point he is not better than he was when he enrolled and maybe even worse (like a 3.5 out of whatever). My point was that the coaches haven't developed a top notch QB - and we are not going to have top notch QBs waltz into our program out of high school, so if we want one we need to develop one. Even the older drop downs we have had in Sneed and LJ weren't 'top notch' you still need to develop the older guys and the bad play calling has also hindered the older guys abilities. So to answer the OP question - the offensive coaching is the reason why.

In your opinion, what have the offensive coaches done wrong? What would you have done differently with Kris Brown to develop him?

zootownrox said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

My opinion, Brown had a ceiling of 4 and it was wasted resources to have him on the field. I basically agree with you, but not for the same reason.

KDyrud said:
Remember that short, scrawny dude from Great Falls we recruited. Like 5'3 and 134 pounds? Plus he's a redhead, yuck. Only won games because of the defense and all the offensive weapons overcoming his shortfalls. Pun intended. Barely did anything after college anyway. Played somewhere with walruses and blizzards and maple syrup. Maybe someday we can finally get a real player at QB in this place.

I get your joke but Super Dave's career ended literally a generation ago.
Bringing up a guy who excelled nearly 30 years ago is kind of making the OP's point for him, I think.

SoldierGriz said:
Griz til I die said:
What makes you think Vidlak won't be good?

What makes you think he will be?

Do you think he will start?
Do you think he will stay healthy?
Do you think he will get the ball into the hands of the known play-makers on offense?
Do you think he will facilitate a deep-ball threat?
Do you think he will be among the top 3 in the BSC in total offense?
Do you think he will minimize mistakes (fumbles/interceptions)?

If yes - why?

Asking, because I don't understand the optimism for the future - given the recent past and minimal coaching changes.
Alright, let’s go through the list.

1. Yes I do think he will start. Who else on the roster would currently start over him? Only way he doesn’t would be if we have another surprise transfer QB tomorrow, or somebody comes in over the Summer and beats him, and I don’t see that happening.

2. Absolutely no way to predict the future. He’s never had a serious injury before in his career, which is good but definitely doesn’t guarantee anything. All I can say is they better have someone capable behind him.

3. I would think so, but again can’t predict the future. Was this a product of Johnson wasn’t capable, or more predicated to the scheme? Hard to say, but I hope if it was scheme that the coaches learned their lesson.

4. Yes I actually do think he can. He has a huge arm, definitely the best arm since Sneed and maybe the best since JJ. Serious arm strength and throws a very nice ball!

5. I certainly think he’s capable, but we’ll see. Next season appears to be the year of the QB in the Big Sky with guys like Mellott, McCoy, Huard, Millner, etc. if he’s top 3 then I think it’s safe to say the offense will be pretty special.

6. Another crystal ball question. No way to know, but he’s never had any kind of history turning the ball over at a high rate. That certainly could change, but we have no way of knowing.

Hope this helps.

SoldierGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Yes...agree. Failed or didn't recognize his shortcomings relative to Britt and his shortcomings. Britt needed the additional reps and coaching and did not get it as soon as he should have.

Britt's passing rating in the NDSU game was 85.36, which is very low. No TD's and 2 interceptions. So, when he was needed in a tough game, he didn't show much. I don't blame him, as it was a tough situation and I'm sure he did the best he could. He did better in the other easier situations he played in.

HelenaHandBasket said:
zootownrox said:

Pretty much it in a nutshell.

mthoopsfan said:
SoldierGriz said:

Britt's passing rating in the NDSU game was 85.36, which is very low. No TD's and 2 interceptions. So, when he was needed in a tough game, he didn't show much. I don't blame him, as it was a tough situation and I'm sure he did the best he could. He did better in the other easier situations he played in.

He was a better passer and 10x the runner of the guy he replaced as #2 QB.

kemajic said:
CDAGRIZ said:
I'll ask him, but I don't see why not.
Putting should be within Special Teams.

Love the idea. I’ll float this to Gentle Ben when I ask. Not sure how our current ST coach will take the idea, but never up, never in.

AZGrizFan said:
mthoopsfan said:

No, he wasn’t. He was a pick machine. Brown threw no picks last season. 1.5 yards per carry against Bison.

mthoopsfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

No, he wasn’t. He was a pick machine. Brown threw no picks last season. 1.5 yards per carry against Bison.

Brown would have had 5 picks against the Bison. Plus about 5 more sacks. And negative yardage running.

mthoopsfan said:
AZGrizFan said:
Britt did not have the advantage of game experience that Brown had. It didn't do Brown any good as he didn't improve. No ints because he was so paranoid about them that he was afraid to push the ball downfield and took a lot of sacks. Never learned to throw the ball away when needed. Brown played the whole game against Weber, produced 114 yards total offense, 72 passing. 5 sacks, -1 yard per carry rushing. You think he would have done better against NDSU?

Britt had little experience, but never played scared and everyone (except maybe you), including the coaches, recognized late in the year that he had a much higher ceiling than Brown. He got picks when behind when it was needed to take the risk to push the ball downfield. I'm betting given a chance to start that he would have done much better than Brown against Weber.

HelenaHandBasket said:
zootownrox said:
To the lack of development just look at how the coaches have completely wasted Kris Brown's talent. Instead of addressing and improving the weaknesses of his game, specifically is lack of pocket presence, they ignore it and it has gotten worse.

I laughed.

"Really, really, really hot takes for 400$, Alex." :roll:

CDAGRIZ said:
zootownrox said:

In your opinion, what have the offensive coaches done wrong? What would you have done differently with Kris Brown to develop him?

Evaluate him. They pulled him in the biggest game of the year for the videographer and then placed him in a position to fail again the next year.

Back