• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Montana Softball team picked fourth in 2023 Big Sky poll

grizzlyjournal

Story link below:
https://bigskyconf.com/news/2023/1/30/weber-state-and-sacramento-state-tie-for-first-in-2023-softball-preseason-coaches-poll.aspx

AllWeatherFan said:
I’m new around here. Is this where we talk about (men’s) basketball? :lol:

:D I guess this could or should be posted at "Griz Athletics and Beyond," but the last time anyone posted about any sport over there (not football or basketball) was Nov. 5th. Since the thread on "Travis" sort of turned into a softball thread, I thought it would be OK to try to start a post on softball. I have no objection to moving it to... Beyond. Go Griz: MBB, WBB, Indoor Track and SB!

Getting both Weber and Sac in Missoula will help. Will definitely be an improved team from last years 6th place team out of seven. As usual, at years end anything lower then 3rd will be a disappointment. Sac and Weber usually set a pretty high standard but in the end I think this team can compete for a con championship, which will be held in Ogden this year I believe.

The Montana softball team that takes the field next Friday vs. Fresno State will have four new starters replacing graduated seniors at 3B, SS, 1B and RF... and a fifth who alternated starting duties at C.

But I watched every game last fall and am optimistic that the 2022 squad will be a pretty solid defensive team. Sr. Jaxie Klucewich looked very comfortable at SS, sr. Kendall Curtis is back at 2B (after missing much of last season to injury) and soph Hannah Jablonski handled 3-4 hot smashes down the 1b line very capably. I didn't see enough chances to 3B Grace Hardy or RF Presli Jantzi to make an assesment. I strongly believed Montana had the best defensive outfield in 2022, and two of those players (LF Elise Ontiveros and CF Julie Phelps) will anchor those positions this season. Last year's primary starting catcher jr. Riley Stockton returns as well. I have heard that several underclass infielders are also quite capable defenders competing for playing time.

I do believe Jantzi has the potential to be an outstanding hitter, as does returning RF starter Elise Oliveros. I'm hoping that jr. Kelley Sweyer can step in at DP, where she's proven several times that she has long-ball power.

My hunch is that this team has the ability to compete in the Big Sky. What is yet to be determined is top-to-bottom hitting ability, the ability to bunt (which vexed last year's team horribly) and pitching depth. One of the biggest questions to me is pitching depth. I've heard that sr. Maggie Joseph is healthy, which would take a ton of pressure off of returning pitchers Allie Brock and Dana Butterfield. I was impressed with the initial outings by frosh pitchers Grace Haegele and Evelyn O'Brien, but the ideal scenario is for them to get adjusted to D1 softball gradually, not thrown into the fire like Butterfield was last year (though she did a remarkable job, in my opinion).

I'm hoping that Alabamagrizzly's predictions are on target. I do know that this year's preseason schedule looks like it'll provide some opportunities for the GrizSB team to get a few wins before conf. play starts. Go Griz.

grizzlyjournal said:
The Montana softball team that takes the field next Friday vs. Fresno State will have four new starters replacing graduated seniors at 3B, SS, 1B and RF... and a fifth who alternated starting duties at C.

But I watched every game last fall and am optimistic that the 2022 squad will be a pretty solid defensive team. Sr. Jaxie Klucewich looked very comfortable at SS, sr. Kendall Curtis is back at 2B (after missing much of last season to injury) and soph Hannah Jablonski handled 3-4 hot smashes down the 1b line very capably. I didn't see enough chances to 3B Grace Hardy or RF Presli Jantzi to make an assesment. I strongly believed Montana had the best defensive outfield in 2022, and two of those players (LF Elise Ontiveros and CF Julie Phelps) will anchor those positions this season. Last year's primary starting catcher jr. Riley Stockton returns as well. I have heard that several underclass infielders are also quite capable defenders competing for playing time.

I do believe Jantzi has the potential to be an outstanding hitter, as does returning RF starter Elise Oliveros. I'm hoping that jr. Kelley Sweyer can step in at DP, where she's proven several times that she has long-ball power.

My hunch is that this team has the ability to compete in the Big Sky. What is yet to be determined is top-to-bottom hitting ability, the ability to bunt (which vexed last year's team horribly) and pitching depth. One of the biggest questions to me is pitching depth. I've heard that sr. Maggie Joseph is healthy, which would take a ton of pressure off of returning pitchers Allie Brock and Dana Butterfield. I was impressed with the initial outings by frosh pitchers Grace Haegele and Evelyn O'Brien, but the ideal scenario is for them to get adjusted to D1 softball gradually, not thrown into the fire like Butterfield was last year (though she did a remarkable job, in my opinion).

I'm hoping that Alabamagrizzly's predictions are on target. I do know that this year's preseason schedule looks like it'll provide some opportunities for the GrizSB team to get a few wins before conf. play starts. Go Griz.

That’s a spot on summery GJ. I agree pretty much 100% with all that. The one other wildcard I might add is what will Delene Colburn’s coaching abilities bring to this team. I’m assuming she’s focusing mostly on hitting duties but I’m guessing that all the coaches help in all areas since it doesn’t give a breakdown in their coaching bios. I know Alison Mitchell, the other assistant coach, has a very good track record at smaller levels as a head coach and last year, her 1st with us, the team showed great hitting and defensive improvements. I’m also very excited about some of our incoming Fr, especially Makena Strong and Grace Haegele. Strong was a four star recruit out of Nevada and the 6’0” Haegele was a very successful pitcher in Wash. I also like that our ooc schedule is a bit on the medium difficulty side which will give these girls opportunities to grow in time for the con schedule, where it really matters. And yes, Go Griz!

Agreed on Delene! If she coaches like she played (and I remember her being a vocal, charismatic leader) then a lot of good things can happen.

Back