• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Next Up: NoColo ... Now NAU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do feel like
grizzlyjournal said:
Grizfan-24 said:
I get that it is death, taxes and inability to close out games.

Again it isn't as if they aren't getting quality shots late, they just aren't going in. Moody had one or two, Bannan a couple, meanwhile NC gets a couple low percentage outcome shots to go and suddenly it is a 1 possession game for the last three minutes.

What it comes down to in part, we just don't have a player that can get every shot he wants when he wants it. Moody is a great off ball player, when we run him through screens, he is about as close to a sure thing as we have. In that last 4 minutes we had Martin, Whitney and Nap/Oke/Vasquez on the floor and it appeared despite have space to shoot they just didn't want to shoot it. Nap passed up a couple late (which is expected), but no one else seemed to want to shoot the ball unless it was a 1 second left on the shot clock heave.

There was a ton of movement to get players clear but last night it was the Bannan/Moody show late. Both were assertive, but it didn't take a genius to figure out where the shot was going to come from. Without Thomas on the floor, just makes for slim pickings after those two that feels confident enough to release the basketball.

Maybe the Griz should recruit GrizWBB frosh Libby Stump (19 pts last night at 53% from the field). ;)

Right?

I do feel like Nap is the answer on the roster down the road, but outside of that I am hoping that Money Williams is that Libby Stump type of impact player down the road.

Grizfan-24 said:
I do feel like
grizzlyjournal said:
Maybe the Griz should recruit GrizWBB frosh Libby Stump (19 pts last night at 53% from the field). ;)

Right?

I do feel like Nap is the answer on the roster down the road, but outside of that I am hoping that Money Williams is that Libby Stump type of impact player down the road.

If the guys had a Libby Stump---a player who could consistently hit the 10-foot jumper--no telling how many more wins they would have.

Was watching video of the game on twitter. Moody’s career high in points. But his LAST points came with 9 minutes left in the game. He missed every shot thereafter. And he’s not alone. These late game disappearing acts are killing a team that looks good for 33-35 minutes every night.

AZGrizFan said:
Was watching video of the game on twitter. Moody’s career high in points. But his LAST points came with 9 minutes left in the game. He missed every shot thereafter. And he’s not alone. These late game disappearing acts are killing a team that looks good for 33-35 minutes every night.

No depth. Inability to close games and put teams away early. Every single game going to the wire means minutes are going to accumulate fast and take a toll both towards the end of games and the end of seasons. Can’t continue to do this year in year out.

I was only able to catch from the 10 minute on in the second half and I did not look at minutes played for Bannon and Moody but wonder if fatigue played a role in the last 5 minutes? Maybe the coaching staff needs to a little more concerned about their late game rotation?

Sport said:
I was only able to catch from the 10 minute on in the second half and I did not look at minutes played for Bannon and Moody but wonder if fatigue played a role in the last 5 minutes? Maybe the coaching staff needs to a little more concerned about their late game rotation?

Good observation. Moody, in fact, did not suit up vs. Portland State, and I'd assume it had to do with his physical condition. That could obviously have affected him vs. UNC.

grizzlyjournal said:
Sport said:

Good observation. Moody, in fact, did not suit up vs. Portland State, and I'd assume it had to do with his physical condition. That could obviously have affected him vs. UNC.

I goes deeper than Moody. Seems that everyone either stops shooting or starts missing with about 6-7 minutes left in every game…how many games have we lost this year that we led by double digits in the 2nd half?

Adrenalin can be a tricky human condition. No, I’m not a medical Dr. or even close but I do know from experience that when an athlete becomes tired, especially when asked to perform under stressful conditions, like a close game in the final minutes the physical and mental triggers are not always in sync. In basketball where reputation creates a shooters touch the two functions are not always in unison. Given a rest period the body, both mentally and physically is allowed to adapt to the environment and adjust. The other night when Vasquez made 4 free throws to ice the game his body had become so synchronized to the foul shooting motion plus the two functions, mental and physical were in a resting state.

Sport said:
Adrenalin can be a tricky human condition. No, I’m not a medical Dr. or even close but I do know from experience that when an athlete becomes tired, especially when asked to perform under stressful conditions, like a close game in the final minutes the physical and mental triggers are not always in sync. In basketball where reputation creates a shooters touch the two functions are not always in unison. Given a rest period the body, both mentally and physically is allowed to adapt to the environment and adjust. The other night when Vasquez made 4 free throws to ice the game his body had become so synchronized to the foul shooting motion plus the two functions, mental and physical were in a resting state.
Frontiers in Psychology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2021.819081/full

Abstract:
Mental Fatigue and Basketball Performance: A Systematic Review
Mental fatigue (MF) is a psycho-biological state that impairs sports-related performances. Recently, it has been proved that MF can affect basketball performance. However, a systematic overview detailing the influences of MF on basketball performance is still lacking. This study aims to investigate the effects of MF on the physical, technical, tactical, and cognitive performance of basketball. We used the databases of PubMed, Web of Science, SPORTDiscus, Scopes, and CKNI for articles published up to 31 May 2021. The articles included in this study were projected to test whether MF influences basketball athlete performance. Only experimental design studies were selected, and the control condition was without MF. Finally, seven articles fit the inclusion criteria. The results imply that MF impairs the technical aspects of basketball (free throws, three-point shots, and total turnover) and the players' cognitive [take-the-first (TTF) heuristics and decision-making] performance, which results in athletes not using their techniques skillfully and being unable to make practical decisions during critical points in the game. In addition to that, the influences of MF on physical and tactical performance have not been studied. Further studies should look into comprehensive research on the influences of MF on basketball performance, especially on a player's physical and tactical performance.
Found this article interesting because I've long thought that the problem(s) for the Griz this year (and before) have been as much mental fatigue as physical. These young men are all in terrific physical shape, and they're young. Also, as you noted, the body can pump out adrenaline to push itself past the ordinary physical "barrier." But if MF takes the edge off your skills, that may not be good enough.

I recall (all too vividly) my cross country days ... near the end, your body is running on adrenaline, but your mind is often elsewhere and you are almost literally in a fog. I've seen – and I'll bet you have too – track distance runners (mile, 5K, etc.) keep running past the finish line because they didn't hear the bell for the last lap and thought they had further to go.

Hopefully, we're not seeing that level of physical fatigue in a BBall game, but the overview article shows that a mental fall-off can negatively impact fine motion ... such as shooting.

grizzlyjournal said:
Sport said:

Moody did not suit at PSU because of a concussion.

NAU has lost four one-possession games and won one (against the Griz). Weber's one possession wins over Montana and Sac State have them alone in 3rd. EWU has won in the final minute five times among their 11 wins. Here's more on all that.

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1622006130473074690

Idaho continues to surprise ... knocked off Sac State on the road, 82-76. Griz take care of business, they move up a spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back