• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky Conference Transfer Tracker 2023-2024

Jackieb125 said:
Old runner. Your quote, IMHO, he needs to find a team that can play him in a fashion that will help him be successful.
IMHO. Most players would love that. Unfortunately, finding a coach to do that is the problem, they seem to recruit kids for one position and then play them at another. The kids are then disappointed and are unable to play to their potential.
Yes indeed. You hit it on the head. At 6'0'' playing in D1 basketball, PG is about the only option you have. If your true position is not PG, it is going to be almost imposible to get on the floor. Same thing happened to this young man at San Diego State. He wanted to make the transition to being the primary ball handler, the one to run the offense, he tried to do it, the coaches tried to help him make the transition, but it simply didn't work out. Nothing against any of those people involved, he just needs to find a team, or level, where a 6'0'' wing player can be successful. It isn't just with PGs that this happens. You will often see guys listed as PFs because they are 6'7'' or 6'8'', but they really have the skill set as a center. Teams on our level will bring them in and try to help them become true PFs, but often they just can't make that jump. It isn't for not trying, but those guys are often in the portal as well. You can't blame a coach for wanting to help these players to get into better situations, where they can be successful. This isn't little league with an everyone plays rule. :thumb:

Jonathan Brown into the portal for Montana. Not a surprise, clearly wasn't a fit here. Couldn't find a spot in the rotation despite extreme athleticism.

Best of luck to him.

Grizfan-24 said:
Jonathan Brown into the portal for Montana. Not a surprise, clearly wasn't a fit here. Couldn't find a spot in the rotation despite extreme athleticism.

Best of luck to him.

No surprise here.
I hope he works a lot on becoming a pg.
He has a high ceiling. If his mental game matures, he could be very good. I liked him.

Grizfan-24 said:

Best of luck to him.
So how many open scholarships do we currently have? I lost track with the kids coming in!

Technically we have 0 to dole out. 15 roster players and 13 scholarships.

However, Vasquez for sure doesn't count against the total. Moody on the other hand is a bit iffy because I am unsure how they are going to count it. Medical Year/Covid year, it all comes out in the wash, just depends on the NCAA stance on it.

Best case scenario 2
Most likely 1.

Grizfan-24 said:

However, Vasquez for sure doesn't count against the total. Moody on the other hand is a bit iffy because I am unsure how they are going to count it. Medical Year/Covid year, it all comes out in the wash, just depends on the NCAA stance on it.

Best case scenario 2
Most likely 1.
Why are you saying that Vasquez doesn't count toward the total? Is he a walk on?

As far as I know a scholarship player is a scholarship player. You can have as many walk ons as you want, but the league may have a rule on how many can dress and how many can travel. At least that is my understanding of it.

oldrunner said:
Grizfan-24 said:

Best case scenario 2
Most likely 1.
Why are you saying that Vasquez doesn't count toward the total? Is he a walk on?

As far as I know a scholarship player is a scholarship player. You can have as many walk ons as you want, but the league may have a rule on how many can dress and how many can travel. At least that is my understanding of it.

Covid year. Athletes received an additional year of eligibility that doesn't count against the scholarship limit. Mack Anderson and Sammy Fatkin used it this season and Carmen Gfeller and Vasquez are using there's next season.

HelenaHandBasket said:
oldrunner said:

Covid year. Athletes received an additional year of eligibility that doesn't count against the scholarship limit. Mack Anderson and Sammy Fatkin used it this season and Carmen Gfeller and Vasquez are using there's next season.

It is my understanding that it doesn’t count if you stay with the same program. For example if Vasquez transferred to another school, it would count against the new school’s, but doesn’t against Montana’s.

This is all I could find on the grant limit waiver. It appears to only grant that waiver for one year, 2021/2022.

"Granting an extra year of eligibility could bring plenty of complications for schools, however. The NCAA's announcement said seniors student-athletes who take advantage of the additional year of eligibility will not count against team scholarship limits in 2021-22. But even with temporarily-expanded scholarship limits, athletic departments dealing with significant budget shortfalls may not be in position to spend more on athletic scholarships.

The NCAA's announcement Friday did not mandate that schools fund the scholarships of seniors for an additional year; this adopted rule merely allows for the temporary expansion of scholarship limits to accommodate seniors who do opt to return for an additional season."

oldrunner said:
This is all I could find on the grant limit waiver. It appears to only grant that waiver for one year, 2021/2022.

"Granting an extra year of eligibility could bring plenty of complications for schools, however. The NCAA's announcement said seniors student-athletes who take advantage of the additional year of eligibility will not count against team scholarship limits in 2021-22. But even with temporarily-expanded scholarship limits, athletic departments dealing with significant budget shortfalls may not be in position to spend more on athletic scholarships.

The NCAA's announcement Friday did not mandate that schools fund the scholarships of seniors for an additional year; this adopted rule merely allows for the temporary expansion of scholarship limits to accommodate seniors who do opt to return for an additional season."

Maybe this will help.

https://www.ncsasports.org/coronavirus-sports/ncaa-eligibility-coronavirus

“What does an extra year of eligibility mean?
All student-athletes whose 2020-2021 season was impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic will now get 6 years to compete in 4 full seasons of their sport in college.

While the NCAA’s ruling was sympathetic to the needs of student-athletes who may have lost a year of competition, they carry with them unintended consequences for college coaches, scholarship budgets and future recruiting classes.

Ultimately, it’s the school’s and coach’s decision to decide if they want to extend their scholarship limit to include fifth year seniors or transfers. The determining factor is whether or not a school can afford to give scholarships over the maximum.

Just curious why last year’s recruiting thread is still pinned even though the last post is from seven months ago but this thread is not pinned even though it’s probably the most relevant “recruiting” thread we have at the moment. It would appear the basketball mods are fast asleep at the wheel😁.

alabamagrizzly said:
oldrunner said:

Maybe this will help.

https://www.ncsasports.org/coronavirus-sports/ncaa-eligibility-coronavirus

“What does an extra year of eligibility mean?
All student-athletes whose 2020-2021 season was impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic will now get 6 years to compete in 4 full seasons of their sport in college.

While the NCAA’s ruling was sympathetic to the needs of student-athletes who may have lost a year of competition, they carry with them unintended consequences for college coaches, scholarship budgets and future recruiting classes.

Ultimately, it’s the school’s and coach’s decision to decide if they want to extend their scholarship limit to include fifth year seniors or transfers. The determining factor is whether or not a school can afford to give scholarships over the maximum.
Not disputing that they get 6 years to complete 5 if they were impacted by the COVID year. What I am disputing is the 13 scholarship threshold was a continuing thing. Everything I could find on it only authorized exceeding the limit for a one year period to help coaches who had already signed more than the replacement number. I believe that all teams were still required to get back to the 13 grant limit the year after that temporary waiver. I don't believe that any team can have more than the 13 grant limit at this time.

You can have as many walk ons as you want and need, but only keep a certain number on any active roster. Leagues also may limit the numbers who can dress and travel.

Of an interesting note, Andrew Rhode, St. Thomas freshman entered the portal. Kid is going to get a ton of interest. May head to Marquette or Wisconsin, but I have to think this is the type of kid Travis likes. Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get an immediate offer.

We saw him in the UM tournament. Clearly their best player as a Freshman.

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1638196506694959114?s=20
First transfer portal entry for the cats. The cats return all of their guards except for Caleb Fuller and I thought that would maybe elevate Gazelas' role next season but apparently not. Thought he had potential, but not the end of the world for the cats with Brown, Battle and Ford all returning.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4593043/john-tonje
How about this guy? John Tonje from Colorado State. Averaged 14ppg which was second on the team and 11th in the Mountain West, while also shooting 39% from three and is constantly attacking the rim. He would fit perfectly in Martins role and is a serious upgrade from Martin.

We probably don’t have much shot at a player like this with those kinds of numbers, but the one thing that gives me some glimmer of hope is a chance to re-unite with his former teammate Dischon Thomas! No idea if the staff will be interested or not or if they have any kind of connection to Tonje, but I will be flooding all future Twitter and Instagram posts of his with Go Griz and tagging Dischon Thomas asking them to re-unite.

mtgrizrule said:
Grizfan-24 said:
Jaelen Cone has put his name into the portal. So far the biggest name to transfer. HUGE.

Yes, PLEASE!

My hunch is that he thinks he can parlay his late season success into a Power 5 opportunity. I think we might see one or two others from teams in the BSC test the waters as it were.

Brutal blow for NAU. They have some decent players but Cone was far and away the best player on the team. They're gonna have a hard time recovering from this. I think it's worth the staff fielding a call but I agree with 24 that he's gonna try and go P5 and somebody will pick him up. Especially since he's already been at the P5 level once already at Virginia Tech.

Back