• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

St. Francis - Brooklyn Eliminates All Sports

mthoopsfan

https://nypost.com/2023/03/20/st-francis-brooklyn-stunningly-cuts-entire-athletics-program/

"St. Francis Brooklyn stunningly eliminates entire athletics program

St. Francis College’s athletic department is suddenly no more.

The school announced Monday afternoon that its board of trustees approved a strategic realignment plan that included the elimination of the college’s entire Division I athletics program effective after the conclusion of the 2023 spring semester.

The school’s coaches were informed of the news Monday morning and the athletes were told during the afternoon prior to the official announcement, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

“I come to you today to share the news of a decision I never anticipated during my time at St. Francis College,” athletic director Irma Garcia said in a statement. “I am heartbroken that a decision has been made to eliminate the College’s athletics program.”

The men’s basketball program, which dates back to 1896, was the oldest college program in New York City and a charter member of the NCAA."

mthoopsfan said:
St. Francis is D-I and made the FCS playoffs this year.

https://nypost.com/2023/03/20/st-francis-brooklyn-stunningly-cuts-entire-athletics-program/

The school announced Monday afternoon that its board of trustees approved a strategic realignment plan that included the elimination of the college’s entire Division I athletics program effective after the conclusion of the 2023 spring semester.

The school’s coaches were informed of the news Monday morning and the athletes were told during the afternoon prior to the official announcement, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

“I come to you today to share the news of a decision I never anticipated during my time at St. Francis College,” athletic director Irma Garcia said in a statement. “I am heartbroken that a decision has been made to eliminate the College’s athletics program.”

The men’s basketball program, which dates back to 1896, was the oldest college program in New York City and a charter member of the NCAA."
Those are two different schools.

Saint Francis (Pennsylvania) is the DI FCS team that made the playoffs and came to Missoula in 2016.

Saint Francis Brooklyn is in New York and doesn't have a football program.

They do, however, both belong to the NEC conference.

uofmman1122 said:
mthoopsfan said:
St. Francis is D-I and made the FCS playoffs this year.

Saint Francis (Pennsylvania) is the DI FCS team that made the playoffs and came to Missoula in 2016.

My bad. I goofed up. Thx.

mthoopsfan said:
uofmman1122 said:

No worries, I was initially confused, as well. I had never heard of Saint Francis Brooklyn until today and didn't know there were two "Saint Francis" schools in the NEC lol

mthoopsfan said:
uofmman1122 said:

There's a first time for everything.

I’m honestly surprised we’re not seeing more of this. Soooooo many schools dump massive $$ into sports that generate no (or negative) return…seems like a dumb business model to me…I get the “visibility” aspect, but this is a perfect example…they had all these sports and nobody (even at our level) had ever heard of them.

AZGrizFan said:
I’m honestly surprised we’re not seeing more of this. Soooooo many schools dump massive $$ into sports that generate no (or negative) return…seems like a dumb business model to me…I get the “visibility” aspect, but this is a perfect example…they had all these sports and nobody (even at our level) had ever heard of them.
With an enrollment under 3,000 students, I couldn't believe they fund 21 sports.

grizband said:
AZGrizFan said:
With an enrollment under 3,000 students, I couldn't believe they fund 21 sports.

Exactly.

grizband said:
AZGrizFan said:

Princeton has 5300 undergrads, and 35 teams in 20 sports.

Harvard has 42 teams, more than any college. 7150 undergrads.

Dartmouth was 4500 undergrads. More than 75% of undergraduate students are involved in 35 Division I varsity teams and 33 club sports.

The Ivies don't have grad students to play in any sports, to my knowledge.

mthoopsfan said:
grizband said:

Dartmouth was 4500 undergrads. More than 75% of undergraduate students are involved in 35 Division I varsity teams and 33 club sports.

The ivies also have gigantic slush funds, do they not? :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
mthoopsfan said:

Some have huge endowments, but they don't direct that money to athletics. Most goes to the rising costs of academics and financial aid. A larger and larger portion of the funding of athletics comes from Friends groups for the various sports and big donations from rich alums. Funding athletics in the Ivies is one thing, but getting recruits of major sports admitted is the tougher thing. The sizes of the undergraduate colleges at the schools/universities are fairly small, and grad students can't play Ivy sports. You can imagine the tension/fights over slots for recruits for major sports like football, basketball, hockey and lacrosse, at a smaller school like Dartmouth (and all of the Ivies). Professors and most administrations don't want to "waste" slots for athletes.

Unlike the fantasy situation/standards expoused by Soldier regarding the Academies, i.e. that the athletes meet the same high standards of the main student body and athletes don't have a leg up in terms of being accepted, the Ivies do allow a certain number of slots for recruited athletes that are below the average and semi-average of the main part of the student body. Groups other than athletes, like POC, great musicians, legacies, and kids of huge donors and potential donors, also get an extra look or two by admissions. At Dartmouth, virtually every football player graduates, and Dartmouth is often at the top of the national graduation heap. The Ivies don't have redshirting, except for injuries. Even then, graduated students can't play sports as grad students.

Schools like Stanford and Duke do the same thing for athletes. My impression is that they dip a bit lower than the Ivies. Players don't generally come to the Ivies or Stanford through the Portal, as they don't have strong enough athletics, and, at least in the Ivies, the schools don't let anyone transfer to the school with only a year or so left before graduation. Transferring to the Ivies isn't very easy or common anyway.

I have to laugh when Soldier tells us that the academy prep schools, from where about half of academy athletes come, magically get the prep school kids up to full academic par in one year. Even though only those who can't get accepted into the Academy due to low academic qualifications, are taken by the prep schools. About 80% of academy prep school students get accepted to the Academies the next year. Everyone associated with the admission of athletes to the Academies, knows that the prep schools are the way to get lower academic athletes into the academy. Statistical studies from the academies show that many of the athletes, especially of major sports, generally graduate way down in academics. They may excel in the physical and leadership segments, though. I'm good with all this.

TL/DR (like, waaaaaayyyyyu too long) beyond the first couple of sentences. But if anyone believes the billions in endowments don’t help athletics they’re morons.

mthoopsfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

Some have huge endowments, but they don't direct that money to athletics. Most goes to the rising costs of academics and financial aid. A larger and larger portion of the funding of athletics comes from Friends groups for the various sports and big donations from rich alums. Funding athletics in the Ivies is one thing, but getting recruits of major sports admitted is the tougher thing. The sizes of the undergraduate colleges at the schools/universities are fairly small, and grad students can't play Ivy sports. You can imagine the tension/fights over slots for recruits for major sports like football, basketball, hockey and lacrosse, at a smaller school like Dartmouth (and all of the Ivies). Professors and most administrations don't want to "waste" slots for athletes.

Unlike the fantasy situation/standards expoused by Soldier regarding the Academies, i.e. that the athletes meet the same high standards of the main student body and athletes don't have a leg up in terms of being accepted, the Ivies do allow a certain number of slots for recruited athletes that are below the average and semi-average of the main part of the student body. Groups other than athletes, like POC, great musicians, legacies, and kids of huge donors and potential donors, also get an extra look or two by admissions. At Dartmouth, virtually every football player graduates, and Dartmouth is often at the top of the national graduation heap. The Ivies don't have redshirting, except for injuries. Even then, graduated students can't play sports as grad students.

Schools like Stanford and Duke do the same thing for athletes. My impression is that they dip a bit lower than the Ivies. Players don't generally come to the Ivies or Stanford through the Portal, as they don't have strong enough athletics, and, at least in the Ivies, the schools don't let anyone transfer to the school with only a year or so left before graduation. Transferring to the Ivies isn't very easy or common anyway.

I have to laugh when Soldier tells us that the academy prep schools, from where about half of academy athletes come, magically get the prep school kids up to full academic par in one year. Even though only those who can't get accepted into the Academy due to low academic qualifications, are taken by the prep schools. About 80% of academy prep school students get accepted to the Academies the next year. Everyone associated with the admission of athletes to the Academies, knows that the prep schools are the way to get lower academic athletes into the academy. Statistical studies from the academies show that many of the athletes, especially of major sports, generally graduate way down in academics. They may excel in the physical and leadership segments, though. I'm good with all this.

Rent free. Life is good. Amazing how much time you spend thinking about me.

But, you are wrong about the prep schools. They are not filled with athletes and everyone who advances to the Academies from them meets the required standards. It's not hard, don't make it so, son.

mthoopsfan said:

I'm wondering how today's equity objectives impact all of this.

kemajic said:
mthoopsfan said:

I'm not sure what you mean, but a good chunk of the POC's come into the academies through the prep schools too. I don't have a problem with any of this, but it's a fact that the prep schools are used to get in a large chunk of the athletes (certain sports) and POC (probably not Asian). During the prep school years, the heads of the prep school, teachers and others have a very good look at the students and can help and evaluate them. While the year is also used to improve academics, I can't imagine that all of the 80% who are accepted to the academies magically become great students with high board scores. But there's a lot to be said for closely evaluating students during that year, and determining who will succeed at the academies and who the academies want and don't want.

kemajic said:
mthoopsfan said:

There are a number of reasons people get invited to the prep schools. Every year enlisted servicemembers are invited out of the force. They need the year to brush off their academic skills. Some students across the nation do not have access to HS honors or AP classes making it difficult to measure their academic prowess against the rest of the Academy applicants. And, yes, some students are athletes and under-represented minorities that the Academy wants, but they fell below the cut-line for a direct Appointment. After 10 months at the prep schools, the students complete a new Academy application, just like everyone else, and MUST be fully qualified to receive an Appointment. They must have the grades, test scores, physical fitness proficiency, medical etc. They must also seek and have a nomination. Prep schools do all of this very well with a cadre who have a deep understanding of the process.

The Academies do not appoint candidates who do not meet the Academy standards, period. There is no backdoor, sidedoor, or "sneaking someone in." It doesn't happen.

Back