• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Nary a Peep

Status
Not open for further replies.
SoldierGriz said:
kemajic said:
So if by "club side" you mean eGriz Club, I did go over there. It has but one post in the last 3 days. It was by Brint and was informative. I guess I dozed on the forum split; there is such an overload of posts that it makes sense to spread them out over two forums. The same "get the BH staff" crew seems to dominate over there, too.

The 2 sides are vastly different...differing opinions are OK there. Too bad you missed that aspect.

That's BS. Can you provide a link to back it up, or are you just going to make stuff up? ;)

CDAGRIZ said:
SoldierGriz said:
The 2 sides are vastly different...differing opinions are OK there. Too bad you missed that aspect.

That's BS. Can you provide a link to back it up, or are you just going to make stuff up? ;)

He knows it from his advisory committee.

mthoopsfan said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I run the other side. That's why you are not there. I allow you to continue to post on this side. You're welcome.

Do you think about me 24/ 7, or do you occasionally think about Bobby?

SoldierGriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

I run the other side. That's why you are not there. I allow you to continue to post on this side. You're welcome.

When I see your posts, I see why the military is weak in so many areas. People in it who can’t read or comprehend. People who think army advisory committees have any authority. People who think admissions advisory committees have any knowledge of how athletes are recruited and admitted at the Air Force academy.

I have found on egriz that people who say they are in another poster’s head, actually have the other poster in their head.

mthoopsfan said:
SoldierGriz said:

When I see your posts, I see why the military is weak in so many areas. People in it who can’t read or comprehend. People who think army advisory committees have any authority. People who think admissions advisory committees have any knowledge of how athletes are recruited and admitted at the Air Force academy.

I have found on egriz that people who say they are in another poster’s head, actually have the other poster in their head.

I'm your daddy...you know it...everyone knows it.

SoldierGriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

You are an idiot. The Harvard website says 55% of students get some financial aid. You insist it’s 100%. Your position is just plain stupid. The cut off is about $200,000. Lots of rich kids in the Ivies.

mthoopsfan said:
SoldierGriz said:

You are an idiot. The Harvard website says 55% of students get some financial aid. You insist it’s 100%. Your position is just plain stupid. The cut off is about $200,000. Lots of rich kids in the Ivies.

Hey son, your head needs some serious repairs...take care of them ASAP.

- Your Daddy

42158fb0-d465-0133-f118-0a6c20e5e327.jpeg

"I see why the military is weak in so many areas"
From the guy who thinks knowing someone who has served is the same as serving...and insists that he never says anything disrespectful about our military.
Unbelievable.

Oldschoolhornet said:
"I see why the military is weak in so many areas"
From the guy who thinks knowing someone who has served is the same as serving...and insists that he never says anything disrespectful about our military.
Unbelievable.

The US military is weak, and unprepared for what is now on the horizon. See below.

"A new strength assessment by the Heritage Foundation sees the U.S. military is growing weaker and weaker as it continues to face an “aggressive” set of threats and challenges around the world. On Tuesday, the Heritage Foundation released its annual U.S. Military Strength assessment."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/report-finds-us-military-is-weak-and-will-struggle-to-win-a-war/ar-AA137g2l#:~:text=In%20its%20Foundation%27s%20Index%20of%20US%20Military%20Strength%2C,from%20growing%20powers%20such%20as%20China%20and%20Russia.

So, what I said about the military is true. It's just a fact. Any disrespect was mean for Soldier individually.

Perhaps you don't believe it's anything to have relatives who have served, and gotten purple hearts and died, but I do. I still remember the early morning call that my wife got, saying our Army Ranger son had been wounded in a rocket attack in Iraq, and had shrapnel and head injuries, and while they didn't know the severity, he was alive. I saw her turn white and drop to her knees. They said they would report more when they had more. It wasn't until the afternoon that we learned he had a concussion and 4-inch deep shrapnel wound (with the shrapnel still in the wound), and would need to be flown to have surgery.

Are you going to support Soldier on insisting that 100% of kids who go to Harvard get financial aid, when their press and website says 55%? Generally, almost no one with family income over $200,000 gets any family income.

"55% of Harvard undergraduates receive financial aid and pay an average of $12,700 per year."

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2022/03/harvard-to-expand-financial-aid-starting-with-class-of-26/#:~:text=55%25%20of%20Harvard%20undergraduates%20receive%20financial%20aid%20and,80%25%20of%20the%20Class%20of%202021%20graduated%20debt-free.

"55% of our undergraduates receive need-based Harvard scholarships."

https://college.harvard.edu/guides/financial-aid-fact-sheet

A follow up to the prior discussion about whether that athletes, especially football and basketball players, get some preferential treatment in admission at the academies, here's an email from one of my relatives who played at Air Force.

Question: Did you submit application and get nomination before you committed to Air Force (and turned down your other offers).

Answer: I did not. Didn’t get going on any of that until I committed in January of my senior year. But it was a pretty quick and easy process after that. Recruited athletes still have to get a nomination but they are fast tracked and don’t have to do much work (at least with football). Non-athletes usually have to get in touch with their elected representative well in advance and go through a more formal process. I never had to meet with a representative, I just had to send a few documents over when I committed.

Hoops: The process is obviously different for some athletes if the coach can in effect make an offer, before the application is submitted. Obviously, the coach knows the grades, board scores and other basis things about the recruit. I assume that can be pre-cleared with the admissions office. My nephew was a very good student and was admitted through the front door and not the side door (academy prep school).

mthoopsfan said:
A follow up to the prior discussion about whether that athletes, especially football and basketball players, get some preferential treatment in admission at the academies, here's an email from one of my relatives who played at Air Force.

Question: Did you submit application and get nomination before you committed to Air Force (and turned down your other offers).

Answer: I did not. Didn’t get going on any of that until I committed in January of my senior year. But it was a pretty quick and easy process after that. Recruited athletes still have to get a nomination but they are fast tracked and don’t have to do much work (at least with football). Non-athletes usually have to get in touch with their elected representative well in advance and go through a more formal process. I never had to meet with a representative, I just had to send a few documents over when I committed.

Hoops: The process is obviously different for some athletes if the coach can in effect make an offer, before the application is submitted. Obviously, the coach knows the grades, board scores and other basis things about the recruit. I assume that can be pre-cleared with the admissions office. My nephew was a very good student and was admitted through the front door and not the side door (academy prep school).

100٪ of applicants with appointments to the Academies have nominations. In a previous thread, I described all of the ways one can get the nomination. In this case, it is likely the Superintendent of the Academy provided the nomination as he is among the sources. Annually the Supe can nominate 50. He or she undoubtedly provides some to athletes as the coaches have to recruit before the process begins. But, I guarantee the recruit has to prove their academic capacity to the Academy prior to the offer from the coaches happening.

And stop lying about what I said about the Ivies. I said the majority of those accepted receive financial aid...many times that aid is significant. Most don't come close to paying sticker price.

And, our current military is not weak. The problem right now is China is spending more of their GDP on defense than ever before...there is no question they are rising. But, they have not yet risen. US military, today, is the best in the world and the best ever formed.

I'm glad you are very, very proud of your son - I am as well.

Thanks to all that served, including soldiergriz (who I've butted heads with). My nephew was killed in Irag in 2006, in well published incident that was retribution for what 1 soldier did to an entire Iraqi family. He was part of the 101st. I understand the sacrifice these men and women have given.

Hoops...Its very commendable that your son served our country and I respect him as both of our sons have done the same. The difference here is I don't try to take credit for their service and think because they served it somehow makes me special. You disrespect our military and then try to claim accolades for your son's sacrifices. You are a pathetic drama queen.

Oldschoolhornet said:
Hoops...Its very commendable that your son served our country and I respect him as both of our sons have done the same. The difference here is I don't try to take credit for their service and think because they served it somehow makes me special. You disrespect our military and then try to claim accolades for your son's sacrifices. You are a pathetic drama queen.

I have not tried to take any credit for my relatives' service in the military and not disrespected the military. You are a liar.

SoldierGriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

100٪ of applicants with appointments to the Academies have nominations. In a previous thread, I described all of the ways one can get the nomination. In this case, it is likely the Superintendent of the Academy provided the nomination as he is among the sources. Annually the Supe can nominate 50. He or she undoubtedly provides some to athletes as the coaches have to recruit before the process begins. But, I guarantee the recruit has to prove their academic capacity to the Academy prior to the offer from the coaches happening.

And stop lying about what I said about the Ivies. I said the majority of those accepted receive financial aid...many times that aid is significant. Most don't come close to paying sticker price.

And, our current military is not weak. The problem right now is China is spending more of their GDP on defense than ever before...there is no question they are rising. But, they have not yet risen. US military, today, is the best in the world and the best ever formed.

I'm glad you are very, very proud of your son - I am as well.

1. My specific experience and research has shown that your assertion that athletes are treated the same in academy admissions is total BS. That is just not true. Your being on an army advisory committee has nothing to do with athletic admissions, especially to the Air Force Academy.

2. I'm glad to hear that the military isn't weak, despite that being the view of think tanks and much of the press. The US is not prepared for what could be coming, and the US surely didn't win the war in Afghanistan. The US percentage of GP devoted to the military continues to shrink. Adjusting for recent inflation, the Biden proposed budget has decreased spending. "A statement from Wicker’s office [Senate Armed Services Committee] noted that, “accounting for inflation, the President has now asked Congress to cut military spending for three years in a row, despite a worsening threat environment.” The number of US ships is declining. The military is having a hard time recruiting. "The Army's goal this year is to bring in 65,000 new soldiers, after falling 15,000 short of its 60,000 recruiting target last year." "The U.S. Army Has a Recruitment Problem. Here's How to Solve It", Time Magazine.

"Is the U.S. military weak now?

https://www.globalvillagespace.com/report-finds-us-military-is-weak-will-struggle-to-win-a-war/#:~:text=According%20to%20the%20report%2C%20years,equipment%20to%20fight%20a%20war.

According to the report, years of underfunding and “poorly defined priorities” has led the military to become “weak relative to the force needed to defend national interests on the global stage.” The armed forces also have a capacity problem – not having enough personnel, weapons, and other equipment to fight a war.Oct 19, 2022

3. You stated multiple times that ALL Harvard students got some financial aid, despite the Harvard figure being only 55%. Here's your March 15 post:

"100% of Harvard students receive some aid." https://egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?p=1585917&hilit=harvard#p1585917

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back