• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Miami Boosters Splashed the Cash

mthoopsfan

"Miami Boosters Splashed the Cash—and the Hurricanes Have Two Teams in the Elite Eight

The Hurricanes high profile men’s and women’s basketball transfers who signed lucrative endorsements in the offseason are now key contributors in March"

"Billionaire Hurricanes booster John Ruiz has drawn scrutiny for his hands-on approach to financially supporting Miami basketball players.

On Friday night, Miami’s success on the court showcased the flashy deals that some of its players have made on the road to the regional finals. Nijel Pack, the Canes’ showcase transfer, scored a team-leading 26 points.

The Hurricane women’s team features Haley and Hanna Cavinder, twins who transferred from Fresno State last spring. They arrived in South Beach with their 4.4 million TikTok followers and an estimated value north of $850,000, according to data from recruiting website On3.

On the men’s team, Pack is an $800,000 player. Shortly after he transferred from Kansas State, he signed a two-year endorsement deal with Ruiz’s healthcare company, LifeWallet, that pays him $400,000 annually. He has been Miami’s go-to 3-point shooter this postseason. His teammate Isaiah Wong, the Hurricanes’ lead scorer in 2022-23, is also making six figures."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/miami-hurricanes-nil-sweet-16-cavinder-twins-50303507?mod=hp_featst_pos5

How can smaller schools compete with this BS?
That kind of money doesn't belong in college athletics.
I'm all for them making as much as they want from their own business, but not from sponsors. Sponsorships need to be reasonably capped.

mtgrizrule said:
I'm all for them making as much as they want from their own business, but not from sponsors. Sponsorships need to be reasonably capped.

Reasonable is not in the ncaa's lexicon, when all this started you knew it would turn into this.

My question is, if you are raking in big money how do you rate a scholarship ?

fanofzoo said:
mtgrizrule said:

Reasonable is not in the ncaa's lexicon, when all this started you knew it would turn into this.

My question is, if you are raking in big money how do you rate a scholarship ?
Excellent question!!!

mtgrizrule said:

Seems like more small schools have advanced in this year's tourney than ever tho.

I feel like this really affects schools in p5 conferences who don't have the donor $ to compete.

Really good players from the Big Sky & similar conferences have been transferring up before NIL was available

LittleBear said:
mtgrizrule said:

Seems like more small schools have advanced in this year's tourney than ever tho.

I feel like this really affects schools in p5 conferences who don't have the donor $ to compete.

Really good players from the Big Sky & similar conferences have been transferring up before NIL was available

Miami is definitely above the norm. They’ve been talking about this guy for a couple years now paying out these outrageous deals. 99% of the schools are not matching this…yet. Last count I heard is he’s got 50+ kids under some sort of deal for all sorts of sports, all for Miami. People will see Miami’s success though and more schools will soon be doing this. This is just the tip of the iceberg as far as paying college athletes is going.

alabamagrizzly said:
LittleBear said:

Miami is definitely above the norm. They’ve been talking about this guy for a couple years now paying out these outrageous deals. 99% of the schools are not matching this…yet. Last count I heard is he’s got 50+ kids under some sort of deal for all sorts of sports, all for Miami. People will see Miami’s success though and more schools will soon be doing this. This is just the tip of the iceberg as far as paying college athletes is going.

For sure. My whole point is that you're going to have schools like Miami, Tennessee, Bama, Ohio State, etc with larger and more wealthy networks of donors build such a competitive advantage compared to school in their conference that don't.

Back