• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

There's No Money at the Next Level

EverettGriz

DONOR
So many on this board claim.

The Mountain West Conference's take from just the NCAA tournament this year is $2.736 million each year for six years. That's $249,000 per school per year for six years. Just from this year's tournament.

How would we EVER pay the bills.... :roll:

EverettGriz said:

The Mountain West Conference's take from just the NCAA tournament this year is $2.736 million each year for six years. That's $249,000 per school per year for six years. Just from this year's tournament.

The MW and Big Sky are both D-I, so the same level. San Diego St's budget was about $50 million in 2021. I think they would need more than $249,000 to meet their budget.

mthoopsfan said:
EverettGriz said:

The MW and Big Sky are both D-I, so the same level. San Diego St's budget was about $50 million in 2021. I think they would need more than $249,000 to meet their budget.

And yet they do. And they play deep into the NCAA tournament, with a real possibility their conference would get four teams in.

And here we are. Still. One bid league. Surrounded by programs who can barely stay afloat. Yay.

EverettGriz said:
And here we are. Still. One bid league. Surrounded by programs who can barely stay afloat. Yay.
And with a coach that can't or won't recruit and develop bigs, we're a fit. Working hard for .500.

kemajic said:
EverettGriz said:
And with a coach that can't or won't recruit and develop bigs, we're a fit. Working hard for .500.
Won't recruit bigs? That's hilarious.

EverettGriz said:

You may be right Everett and I appreciate your take on the issue. I personally am far more concerned about the ability for a student to afford tuition and the degrees being offered by the U of M. Athletic health will ultimately follow the health of the institution as a whole. Higher education is in trouble, which means athletics are in trouble. Call me a pessimist, but I think the BSC is indicative of the overall problem. Move up and make more may be the only answer and the right move. Especially given the cost of keeping programs going. I just have zero confidence the BOR will tackle the issue and make the right decision for both Montana schools. I hope to heck I am dead wrong.

dupuyer griz said:
Looks like this should be on the basketball board to me.

Yes, this thread is about basketball revenue, and indirectly on move-up revenue. Another thread on trash-talking, taunting and race in sports, in this case the recent Final Four issues, was moved to the hoops section. No one discusses stuff like this thread or that thread in the hoops section. Spring ball is almost done, and the off-season here, why not let more discussions occur where people are looking and commenting.

"Angel Reese says her team won’t go to the White House but would celebrate with the Obamas"

"Traditionally, the national champions would be invited to the White House. But after comments from first lady Jill Biden suggesting that Iowa be invited as well before appearing to walk that back, Reese told “I AM ATHLETE” podcast hosts Brandon Marshall and Ashley Nicole Moss: “I don’t accept the apology because you said what you said … You can’t go back on certain things that you say … They can have that spotlight. We’ll go to the Obamas.’ We’ll go see Michelle. We’ll see Barack.”

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/05/sport/angel-reese-white-house-jill-biden-intl-spt/index.html

"Caitlin Clark hints at gender double standard with trash talk, says Angel Reese 'should never' be criticized

Caitlin Clark says there may be a double standard based on gender when it comes to trash talk, adding Angel Reese should not be criticized for her celebrations."

Read in Fox News: https://apple.news/ArnFNx2U2R6CLtwYnW_YouQ

"Sunday afternoon’s game drew 9.9 million viewers on the ESPN family of networks, making it the most-viewed women’s college basketball game on record — nearly doubling the 5.7 million who tuned in to watch Connecticut best Oklahoma for the 2002 championship."

https://nypost.com/2023/04/04/jill-biden-scraps-white-house-invite-for-iowa-womens-basketball/

mthoopsfan said:
dupuyer griz said:
Looks like this should be on the basketball board to me.

Yes, this thread is about basketball revenue, and indirectly on move-up revenue. Another thread on trash-talking, taunting and race in sports, in this case the recent Final Four issues, was moved to the hoops section. No one discusses stuff like this thread or that thread in the hoops section. Spring ball is almost done, and the off-season here, why not let more discussions occur where people are looking and commenting.

"Angel Reese says her team won’t go to the White House but would celebrate with the Obamas"

"Traditionally, the national champions would be invited to the White House. But after comments from first lady Jill Biden suggesting that Iowa be invited as well before appearing to walk that back, Reese told “I AM ATHLETE” podcast hosts Brandon Marshall and Ashley Nicole Moss: “I don’t accept the apology because you said what you said … You can’t go back on certain things that you say … They can have that spotlight. We’ll go to the Obamas.’ We’ll go see Michelle. We’ll see Barack.”

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/05/sport/angel-reese-white-house-jill-biden-intl-spt/index.html

"Caitlin Clark hints at gender double standard with trash talk, says Angel Reese 'should never' be criticized

Caitlin Clark says there may be a double standard based on gender when it comes to trash talk, adding Angel Reese should not be criticized for her celebrations."

Read in Fox News: https://apple.news/ArnFNx2U2R6CLtwYnW_YouQ

"Sunday afternoon’s game drew 9.9 million viewers on the ESPN family of networks, making it the most-viewed women’s college basketball game on record — nearly doubling the 5.7 million who tuned in to watch Connecticut best Oklahoma for the 2002 championship."

https://nypost.com/2023/04/04/jill-biden-scraps-white-house-invite-for-iowa-womens-basketball/

For someone who boasts about all the great things they have done, you sure you have a small minded attitude when it comes to the Griz

"Angel Reese Explains Why LSU Didn’t Want Jill Biden in Locker Room Before National Title Game

The first lady was supposed to speak with both LSU and Iowa before the national title game."

"The Tigers star said on the podcast that the team turned down an opportunity for Jill Biden to speak to them in the locker room ahead of Sunday’s title game.

“Apparently she was supposed to come to our locker room before the game, but we said no,” Reese said. “We said we didn’t want her coming to the locker room. I think Joe Biden had put somebody else to win the national championship, he ain’t even put us in his bracket to get out of Baton Rouge.”

Reese noted that she didn’t know if the First Lady visited the Hawkeyes before the game or not."

Read in Sports Illustrated: https://apple.news/ANhXAYfpbT-yQAahaEB5Ikg

Think of all the money being made with the women smack talking. Wouldn't it be great for the GRIZ to share in that?

And just take a moment to consider how many more threads pr could derail at the FBS level!

Everett, your threads are boring. Few bother to even post in them. Mine are more information and get much more attention. Your NIL worth is O.

EverettGriz said:
Think of all the money being made with the women smack talking. Wouldn't it be great for the GRIZ to share in that?

And just take a moment to consider how many more threads pr could derail at the FBS level!

At least with his newfound ability to cut and paste he gets most sentences right.

mthoopsfan said:
Everett, your threads are boring. Few bother to even post in them. Mine are more information and get much more attention. Your NIL worth is O.

Yet you post in them...

Meanwhile, you have to post the same thing in multiple threads in a vain attempt to get attention.

Mousegriz said:
EverettGriz said:

At least with his newfound ability to cut and paste he gets most sentences right.

I’ve been cutting and pasting for several decades. Have you ever made a substantive post?

EverettGriz said:

To move to the next level the University would need 16 varsity teams, meaning Montana would need to add 3. And if I remember correctly, going by Title IX they'd need to probably add 1 men's program and 2 women's programs to keep the proper balance required of total student athletes.

Last year football had revenue of approximately $2,600,000

Every other program lost money, posting a total loss of just about $1,600,000

That means on average each program that wasn't football lost $133,333.

Going to the next level would result in the UM possibly posting an even bigger loss, if we assume all other things are the same, to the tune of $400,000 based on this super simplified approach alone.

BWahlberg said:
EverettGriz said:

To move to the next level the University would need 16 varsity teams, meaning Montana would need to add 3. And if I remember correctly, going by Title IX they'd need to probably add 1 men's program and 2 women's programs to keep the proper balance required of total student athletes.

Last year football had revenue of approximately $2,600,000

Every other program lost money, posting a total loss of just about $1,600,000

That means on average each program that wasn't football lost $133,333.

Going to the next level would result in the UM possibly posting an even bigger loss, if we assume all other things are the same, to the tune of $400,000 based on this super simplified approach alone.

But this assumes no additional revenue, which is completely shortsighted, no?

Hell, just the MWC basketball revenue would pay for those additional sports. And that completely ignores the revenue from football, tv deals, etc.

Back