• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Rohrbach Flying Away

On a side note, I once broke my nose in Colorado Springs. Rugby tackle, I went low my teammate went high, knee in the face. I was wearing a bra under my jersey at the time after losing a kangaroo court case the night before for the infraction of trading my tour sweater to a Rams cheer leader for her satin CSU dance team jacket. I wore it around the rest of the night, alcohol may have been involved.

bigkid said:
He’s not trying to get into the academy. Arizona’s ROTC is a feeder to The Academy’s FLIGHT SCHOOL where he will attend UPT. But yes he would have a better chance at fighters.

I know he's not trying to get into the Academy. I was asking, why didn't he try that route, if his dream is F-16's and the Academy is the best route to get into the Academy flight school. I just wondered. And wondering why he didn't try to maximize his changes. Maybe he did look at the Academy. I have no special info about Rohrbach. He could continue punting if he went to the Academy. He was 7.5 yards better than the AFA punter from last season.

"On Friday, Rohrbach announced he is transferring to Arizona State, not for football, but to join the "Flyin' Devils" of ASU's Air Force ROTC Detachment 025, one of the nation's top feeder programs into the U.S. Air Force Academy Flight School.

The goal: to one day serve the United States of America as an Air Force pilot.

"The dream is to be a fighter pilot in an F-16. That would be amazing, but it depends on what the Air Force needs. I'm going to have to keep my academics up and work hard, and hopefully I'll get that chance. I'm just excited to go serve." said Rohrbach."

SoldierGriz said:
mthoopsfan said:
You don’t know what you are talking about. I am talking to people who help athletes get into the Academy, one a former assistant coach and former player who lives in Colorado Springs. You and your advisory committee are out of touch.

You should be asking me...

You know less about being recruited to AFA football, than you do about Ivy financial aid and Griz football. "100% of Harvard students get financial aid." That is too funny.

Now, I was never in the running for an appointment to anything. But, looking back at high school, UGH!, there were those that were smart as hell, athletic to a fault, those with a great personality, who did well to that point. Some went on to great institutions of higher learning, great athletic programs, or those who became salesmen.

“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullsh*t.”― W.C. Fields

This discussion got me to thinking. I know, its about time, but I thought it has to be a gut check being one of the entering freshmen at one of the Academies, looking around at all the other high SAT/ACT, 4.0 GPAs, some very athletic, some with a great personality. Suddenly reality sets in that being the cream of the cream from grade school through high school don't mean sh*t for the next four years. Gonna have to work ones ass off constantly. No wonder they throw their hats into the air after graduation. Surprised the Space Station hasn't reported seeing one or two floating by now and then.

SaskGriz said:
On a side note, I once broke my nose in Colorado Springs. Rugby tackle, I went low my teammate went high, knee in the face. I was wearing a bra under my jersey at the time after losing a kangaroo court case the night before for the infraction of trading my tour sweater to a Rams cheer leader for her satin CSU dance team jacket. I wore it around the rest of the night, alcohol may have been involved.

This has been up for hours and no one has commented as yet? WTF is wrong with you people? Every single sentence is gold. In fact, I'd like to option this for a movie or an eight part TV series. DM me with your demands.

Nicely played, Canada. Nicely played.

mthoopsfan said:
SoldierGriz said:
You should be asking me...

You know less about being recruited to AFA football, than you do about Ivy financial aid and Griz football. "100% of Harvard students get financial aid." That is too funny.
I posted the accurate Ivy financial aid numbers. You posted anecdotal information, and are now making things up.

Everything I posted here about the Academies is 100 % dead-on balls accurate. You are getting and sharing bad information.

I tell the truth about Griz football. You make up excuses.

Those are the facts. The good posters here know it, and so do you.

Bok_Choi said:
SaskGriz said:

This has been up for hours and no one has commented as yet? WTF is wrong with you people? Every single sentence is gold. In fact, I'd like to option this for a movie or an eight part TV series. DM me with your demands.

I felt that the last sentence was gratuitous. Personally. :|

AZGrizFan said:
Bok_Choi said:

I felt that the last sentence was gratuitous. Personally. :|

It's Monday. Think of the intended audience, Sask. EGriz. 'A riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.' --Winston Churchill.

I think he's got a good plan, knows exactly what he wants and how to go about getting it. He's taking control of his destiny. Personally, I think he'll make it. Maybe he'll get to do a flyover at a Griz game somewhere down the line.

Reminds me of the line from 'Top Gun,' (1986): Stinger : "And if you screw up just this much, you'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong!"
Guess Hong Kong is out of the picture nowadays...but, could threaten him with having to fly C-130s out of MANG.

3-7-77 said:
I think he's got a good plan, knows exactly what he wants and how to go about getting it. He's taking control of his destiny. Personally, I think he'll make it. Maybe he'll get to do a flyover at a Griz game somewhere down the line.

Reminds me of the line from 'Top Gun,' (1986): Stinger : "And if you screw up just this much, you'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog poop out of Hong Kong!"
Guess Hong Kong is out of the picture nowadays...but, could threaten him with having to fly C-130s out of MANG.
Nothing wrong with flying C130's.

Didn't say there was anything wrong with flying C-130s. I just don't think Rohrback transferred to ASU and their ROTC program with the hopes of flying a cargo plane. He wants to fly F-16s or better. The sports car of planes.

From Wiki: "A sports car is a car designed with an emphasis on dynamic performance, such as handling, acceleration, top speed, the thrill of driving and racing capability."

3-7-77 said:
Didn't say there was anything wrong with flying C-130s. I just don't think Rohrback transferred to ASU and their ROTC program with the hopes of flying a cargo plane. He wants to fly F-16s or better. The sports car of cars.

From Wiki: "A sports car is a car designed with an emphasis on dynamic performance, such as handling, acceleration, top speed, the thrill of driving and racing capability."

Most (not all of course) aspiring Air Force, Navy, and Marine pilots do want to fly the fighters. But, like most things, the process is competitive.

I have a particular affinity for those flying AC 130s and A-10s; they always answer the radio....

SoldierGriz said:
3-7-77 said:
Didn't say there was anything wrong with flying C-130s. I just don't think Rohrback transferred to ASU and their ROTC program with the hopes of flying a cargo plane. He wants to fly F-16s or better. The sports car of cars.

Most (not all of course) aspiring Air Force, Navy, and Marine pilots do want to fly the fighters. But, like most things, the process is competitive.

I have a particular affinity for those flying AC 130s and A-10s; they always answer the radio....

A-10….baddest airplane on the planet. Bar none.

One way to turn a grove of trees into a pile of toothpicks. You can run, but you'll only die tired.
https://www.google.com/search?q=puff+the+magic+dragon+c-130&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS870US874&oq=puff+the+magic+dragon+C-130&aqs=chrome.0.0i512j0i10i512j0i22i30l2j0i390l4.2

3-7-77 said:
One way to turn a grove of trees into a pile of toothpicks. You can run, but you'll only die tired.
https://www.google.com/search?q=puff+the+magic+dragon+c-130&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS870US874&oq=puff+the+magic+dragon+C-130&aqs=chrome.0.0i512j0i10i512j0i22i30l2j0i390l4.2

THAT is most certainly not a “cargo plane”. :lol:

SoldierGriz said:
3-7-77 said:

My dad's Vietnam War veteran friends were a big fan of Spooky.
Can/did they ever use a P-3 for that type of thing?
My experience with them is when we had them for fire retardant planes for the USFS. They were fantastic!

GrizMania said:
SoldierGriz said:

My experience with them is when we had them for fire retardant planes for the USFS. They were fantastic!

The P 3 has an exquisite sensor package used primarily for hunting submarines. It is usually used in open waters and littorals. I don't believe there is a heavily armed variant, but I honestly don't know. It is being replaced by the P 8. It's a Navy plane..maybe one of our eGriz Navy vets can answer more thoroughly.

SoldierGriz said:
GrizMania said:

The P 3 has an exquisite sensor package used primarily for hunting submarines. It is usually used in open waters and littorals. I don't believe there is a heavily armed variant, but I honestly don't know. It is being replaced by the P 8. It's a Navy plane..maybe one of our eGriz Navy vets can answer more thoroughly.

There is not a battlefield variant, as far as I remember. Strictly a sub hunter, AFAIK.

SaskGriz said:

Was it the cheerleader’s bra? ‘Cause then you got a story!

AZGrizFan said:
SoldierGriz said:

There is not a battlefield variant, as far as I remember. Strictly a sub hunter, AFAIK.

Seen flying around Great Falls all the time. My neighbor told me what it was. Sub hunter, clearly says 'NAVY' on its fuselage I thought, WTF are they looking for Rusky subs in NC Montana? So, I managed to do a little searching. Here's an update:

P-8 A POSEIDON in flight.
P-8A POSEIDON MARITIME PATROL AIRCRAFT
OVERVIEW GALLERY FEATURE STORIES SOCIAL MEDIA P-8 SUPPORT QUICK FACTS SUPERIOR PERFORMANCE TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS CUSTOMERS
BOEING
P-8: A Proven Multi-Mission Maritime Patrol Aircraft
The Boeing P-8 is truly a multi-mission maritime patrol aircraft, excelling at anti-submarine warfare; anti-surface warfare; intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance and search and rescue. The P-8 can fly higher (up to 41,000 ft) and get to the fight faster (490 knots). Shorter transit times reduce the size of the Area of Probability when searching for submarines, surface vessels or search and rescue survivors. P-8 is also designed for low altitude missions and has already proven its abilities supporting humanitarian and search and rescue missions.

A proven system with more than 155 aircraft in service the P-8 has executed more than 500,000 mishap free flight-hours around the globe.

The P-8 has two variants: The P-8I, flown by the Indian Navy, and the P-8A Poseidon flown by the U.S. Navy, the United Kingdom’s Royal Air Force, Royal Australian Air Force, Royal Norwegian Air Force and Royal New Zealand Air Force.

Militaries that have selected the P-8 include the Republic of Korea Navy and German Navy. The P-8’s performance and reliability delivers confidence in an uncertain world — in any condition, anywhere, anytime.

The P-8 combines the most advanced weapon system in the world with the cost advantages of the most operated commercial airliner on the planet. The P-8 shares 86% commonality with the commercial 737NG, providing enormous supply chain economies of scale in production and support. Boeing’s expertise in commercial fleet management and derivative aircraft sustainment provides customers with greater availability at a lower operational cost. The P-8 is engineered for 25 years/25,000 hours in the harshest maritime flight regimes, including extended operations in icing environments.

Back