• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Providence sweep

HookedonGriz

DONOR
Sorry but 6-4 and 5-1 wins over Providence aren’t inspiring a lot of confidence in me. Those should be blowout wins all day as Providence is not that good of a team. A win is a win and I’ll take them but damn, we are in trouble.

HookedonGriz said:
Sorry but 6-4 and 5-1 wins over Providence aren’t inspiring a lot of confidence in me. Those should be blowout wins all day as Providence is not that good of a team. A win is a win and I’ll take them but damn, we are in trouble.

This is the weakest hitting, fielding and pitching team since the program was started. Add to that, injuries to Phelps and Butterfield. You are right, we are in trouble.

maroonandsilver said:
HookedonGriz said:

This is the weakest hitting, fielding and pitching team since the program was started. Add to that, injuries to Phelps and Butterfield. You are right, we are in trouble.

Coach is in way over her head unfortunately. It looks like recruiting and talent evals are falling way short.

I saw measured improvement in pitching on Tuesday, and think the Griz offense can be competitive in Big Sky action, but they'll need to put more offensive numbers on the scoreboard & I just don't know... Also, it was obvious that coach Meuchel was still fiddling with different players at key defensive positions. Not having Phelps anchor the outfield opens the gaps up on considerably. Hope she can return soon. Also: this is a good group of kids. I'm going to support them.

What's interesting is that -- on paper -- the Big Sky Conf. is struggling this season. Montana, at 6-23, is actually bunched with Weber (6-20), ISU (8 wins), and PSU (9 wins). I know... no other team has played 4 games vs non- D1 schools. But the Griz played SU and UNLV tough. I'm still hoping Montana's pitching improves enough to give the offense a shot to compete them in Big Sky action.

grizzlyjournal said:
I saw measured improvement in pitching on Tuesday, and think the Griz offense can be competitive in Big Sky action, but they'll need to put more offensive numbers on the scoreboard & I just don't know... Also, it was obvious that coach Meuchel was still fiddling with different players at key defensive positions. Not having Phelps anchor the outfield opens the gaps up on considerably. Hope she can return soon. Also: this is a good group of kids. I'm going to support them.

What's interesting is that -- on paper -- the Big Sky Conf. is struggling this season. Montana, at 6-23, is actually bunched with Weber (6-20), ISU (8 wins), and PSU (9 wins). I know... no other team has played 4 games vs non- D1 schools. But the Griz played SU and UNLV tough. I'm still hoping Montana's pitching improves enough to give the offense a shot to compete them in Big Sky action.

I love and appreciate your optimism. I really do. But if we are being honest with ourselves the Griz should have beat Providence 12 to 0 and 13 to 1. This is coach’s 5th year now? She has to be way better than this in all facets.

HookedonGriz said:
grizzlyjournal said:

I love and appreciate your optimism. I really do. But if we are being honest with ourselves the Griz should have beat Providence 12 to 0 and 13 to 1. This is coach’s 5th year now? She has to be way better than this in all facets.

You're obviously right, Hooked, & I can't (won't) argue. I have similar feelings about the Griz football & men's hoops teams... and even noticed some tiny warning flags flipping up around the women's hoops team during the GrizWBB homecourt loss to the Cats. I am choosing (for many reasongs) to be a supporter however.

HookedonGriz said:
grizzlyjournal said:

Hooked I'm curious if Haslam ever responded to your email about making a change at head coach. My money is on he didn't respond but I was just curious if he did or not.

Griz til I die said:
HookedonGriz said:
Hooked I'm curious if Haslam ever responded to your email about making a change at head coach. My money is on he didn't respond but I was just curious if he did or not.

Actually he did reply. I will give him credit he’s pretty good about answering emails. He agreed that softball is struggling but did point out there are a number of contributing factor (alluding to injuries I’m sure)…..but he does understand our frustrations. He said no one is more focused on having success than Melanie and the team. He said they will get through this season and evaluate at the end to see what needs to change.

HookedonGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

Actually he did reply. I will give him credit he’s pretty good about answering emails. He agreed that softball is struggling but did point out there are a number of contributing factor (alluding to injuries I’m sure)…..but he does understand our frustrations. He said no one is more focused on having success than Melanie and the team. He said they will get through this season and evaluate at the end to see what needs to change.
Wow I'm actually impressed. Most AD's would just completely ignore an email like that so kudos to Haslam!

HookedonGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

I would not be surprised one bit if he gives Melanie one more year, given the injuries to the pitching staff and inexperience on the infield.

Third time I’ve read this is a “young” team with no experience. There are seven upperclassmen in the starting 10. I would not say this is a young team. Yes..they have an injured pitcher. They are averaging less than TWO runs a game vs D1 competition. Jennie Finch could not carry this team to a winning record. This is year six under this administration and there is no indication of improvement at any position. No stars. Not a single person in this lineup worries an opposing coach. No power. 16 HR on the season. If there is speed it is not being utilized because they are not on base. SEVEN stolen bases on the season. Can anyone honestly say this program is better than it was in 2017? Does anyone remember 2017? UW came here in the fall..played them pretty tight. Won the conference tournament in Ogden. Played on ESPN. Seems like a very long time ago. Hard to believe the best players we ever had were here in year three.

OMGriz9501 said:
Third time I’ve read this is a “young” team with no experience. There are seven upperclassmen in the starting 10. I would not say this is a young team. Yes..they have an injured pitcher. They are averaging less than TWO runs a game vs D1 competition. Jennie Finch could not carry this team to a winning record. This is year six under this administration and there is no indication of improvement at any position. No stars. Not a single person in this lineup worries an opposing coach. No power. 16 HR on the season. If there is speed it is not being utilized because they are not on base. SEVEN stolen bases on the season. Can anyone honestly say this program is better than it was in 2017? Does anyone remember 2017? UW came here in the fall..played them pretty tight. Won the conference tournament in Ogden. Played on ESPN. Seems like a very long time ago. Hard to believe the best players we ever had were here in year three.

Preach! Program is a disaster. Changed need to happen quickly!

Back