• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Nary a Peep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Copper Griz said:
Russia would be done in a month.
*checks notes:
Vietnam 129,000sq-mi and 1.8 decades long war.
Iraq 169,000sq-mi and 0.8 decades long war.
Afghanistan 250,000sq-mi and 2.0 decades long war.
Russia 6,600,000sq-mi and 0.00833 decades long war.

Yep, this egriz-math seems to check out

GrizMania said:
mthoopsfan said:
Not true. That is not their goal. The goal is to evaluate military strength. They do an assessment periodically. This is their worst assessment. Feel free to provide and links for what you said.

I googled it, as you suggested.
And looked where their funds come from. Elementary, really.
But by all means feel free to have a different opinion, as that's all it is, kind sir.

Huh? "With more than a half-million members, The Heritage Foundation is the most broadly supported public policy research institute in the nation. This broad base of support guarantees that no donor or group of donors has the ability to direct the views or activities of Heritage.

Additionally, the total of all corporate support to Heritage amounts to less than 2% of all contributions, and Heritage takes no money from government—whether federal, state, local, tribal, or foreign—for any research activity or any other purpose. Rather, our power to impact government policy and to promote and defend America’s founding ideals comes directly from the voluntary support of our more than 500,000 members."

These were the largest donors in 2022. What can you tell us about them?

"CHAIRMAN’S CIRCLE
The Diana Davis Spencer Foundation
Mr. and Mrs. Richard Gaby
The Lloyd & Vivian Noble Foundation Pharos Foundation
Mr. and Mrs. Len Robinson Sarah Scaife Foundation
Mr. Henry D. Smith
Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd H. Smith"

06ba3bd31df80921f62afade8300ed9b.jpg

HelenaHandBasket said:
uptopgriz said:
So what. Japan had a much larger and more advanced Navy than America in WW 2. It didn't end very well for them.

Just curious, but based on technology from the 1940's and now, do you think this is an actual apples to apples comparison?

If you're a Republican it is because most of them don't even know how to turn on a computer.

kemajic said:
Shame on me for starting a thread hoping for some information from Spring Ball.

you started whining, others just turned it into a thread about something, anything, except just whining that others aren't giving you what you claim you want. so yeah, shame on you.

Kem, all you can do is try. Plant the seed and see what pops up.

I can see from some of the responses that there aren't many History Majors on eGriz. For that matter, not many that can, or do, read historic non-fiction. Read up on the Battle of Midway, the Battle of the Coral Sea, the Battle of the Philippine Sea, and the Battle of Leyte Gulf. Luck had a lot to do with the U.S. final victory.

3-7-77 said:

I can see from some of the responses that there aren't many History Majors on eGriz. For that matter, not many that can, or do, read historic non-fiction. Read up on the Battle of Midway, the Battle of the Coral Sea, the Battle of the Philippine Sea, and the Battle of Leyte Gulf. Luck had a lot to do with the U.S. final victory.
History "buff" here, not a major. (FWIW, I did once take a Military History course.) Luck always plays a role in combat. However, I think that to say "Luck had a lot to do with the U.S. final victory" is an overstatement.

As you probably know ... while the US force had some amazing luck at Midway, the fact that our carries were even in position to attack was due to superior Intelligence information. Even Yamamoto knew that Japan could not win a long war with the US. Our industrial capacity was simply beyond their ability to match. There were certainly elements of luck in the Battle of the Philippine Sea (summer of 1944), but by then the US had more fleet carriers in action than the Japanese had ever owned. Almost all the experienced Japanese pilots were dead, and we had swarms of fighter planes far better than the famous Zero. Plus ... 'nuf said.

Sorry ... still off-topic, but could not resist.

IdaGriz01 said:
3-7-77 said:

History "buff" here, not a major. (FWIW, I did once take a Military History course.) Luck always plays a role in combat. However, I think that to say "Luck had a lot to do with the U.S. final victory" is an overstatement.

As you probably know ... while the US force had some amazing luck at Midway, the fact that our carries were even in position to attack was due to superior Intelligence information. Even Yamamoto knew that Japan could not win a long war with the US. Our industrial capacity was simply beyond their ability to match. There were certainly elements of luck in the Battle of the Philippine Sea (summer of 1944), but by then the US had more fleet carriers in action than the Japanese had ever owned. Almost all the experienced Japanese pilots were dead, and we had swarms of fighter planes far better than the famous Zero. Plus ... 'nuf said.

Sorry ... still off-topic, but could not resist.

The US put together an incredible war effort to build ships and significantly increase war materials, from the start of the war to the end of the war. That obviously had something or a lot to do with the victory over Japan.

See my recent blurb in the Book thread, about the book "The Mosquito Bowl", a book on marines in the Pacific in 1944, including a former Griz.

argh! said:
kemajic said:
Shame on me for starting a thread hoping for some information from Spring Ball.

you started whining, others just turned it into a thread about something, anything, except just whining that others aren't giving you what you claim you want. so yeah, shame on you.
A huge whine on my part, I'll give you that. "A thread about something, anything, except" any football news. Not what this forum is about anymore. But can always count on you to save the day when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back