• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky Conference Transfer Tracker 2023-2024

citay said:
Grizfan-24 said:
The NIL Money reckoning is quickly coming and not because it is unethical, but rather that it is the wild west. NCAA as a regulatory agency is way out over its skis here and recognizes that they won't or can't put the genie back in the bottle. Clearly the NIL money benefits power 5 schools and other NCAA institutions with lots of cash in its booster pool. The NCAA doesn't have a clear regulatory model in mind (thus asking for congressional help) but it isn't going fix itself until member institutions, players and coaches make a big enough stink. Just get used to the chaos.

I miss the old system but I resented coaches on million dollar contracts moving freely while their players had to sit out a year if their coach left. And I also resented those oily administrators making $500,000 a year while cynically calling the players STUDENT ATHLETES, when it was the STUDENT ATHLETES paying for those huge salaries for administrators and coaches.

Money corrupts and big money, like power, corrupts absolutely. And there is now BIG money in those NCAA TV deals. The athletes deserve their fair share, chaos or not.

Not in the least against it and you are dead on right. About time players got their share.They aren't indentured servants. For me personally, it is going to be the final blow to what makes those power 5 schools break completely away and form their own college business entity. Just way too much money, and smaller schools just can't compete with it.

citay said:
Grizfan-24 said:
The NIL Money reckoning is quickly coming and not because it is unethical, but rather that it is the wild west. NCAA as a regulatory agency is way out over its skis here and recognizes that they won't or can't put the genie back in the bottle. Clearly the NIL money benefits power 5 schools and other NCAA institutions with lots of cash in its booster pool. The NCAA doesn't have a clear regulatory model in mind (thus asking for congressional help) but it isn't going fix itself until member institutions, players and coaches make a big enough stink. Just get used to the chaos.

I miss the old system but I resented coaches on million dollar contracts moving freely while their players had to sit out a year if their coach left. And I also resented those oily administrators making $500,000 a year while cynically calling the players STUDENT ATHLETES, when it was the STUDENT ATHLETES paying for those huge salaries for administrators and coaches.

Money corrupts and big money, like power, corrupts absolutely. And there is now BIG money in those NCAA TV deals. The athletes deserve their fair share, chaos or not.

They already get a free education which is far more than many get. NIL is pure BS. Pay them an hourly rate like students on a work study program. You want to be paid for your name, image and likeness - stay out of college and opt to play elsewhere. To many handouts in this day and age.

ordigger said:
citay said:

They already get a free education which is far more than many get. NIL is pure BS. Pay them an hourly rate like students on a work study program. You want to be paid for your name, image and likeness - stay out of college and opt to play elsewhere. To many handouts in this day and age.

Some points for consideration:
A - you need to be “good enough” to get NIL money. Just because you ask for it, doesn’t mean you get it.

B - a scholarship (unless it is full cost of attendance) doesn’t give you “free” education. It covers tuition, some books, some food.

C - scholarships aren’t 4 year contracts - the program can give your scholarship to someone else if it isn’t deemed that you’re doing the work or are good enough to continue earning it.

D - non athlete students have all the freedom they want to make as much money as they would like financially. Say if they create an amazing computer application or are a model of some sort, they’re free to do so. Before NIL, this wasn’t the case for athletics

I like the idea of paying them hourly via work study, but what work study actually means is that the employer pays some of the pay rate, then the federal / state government foot the rest.

Finally - with NIL these players are getting money from folks/businesses who have chosen to give their money towards that cause. If they want to do that with their money, so be it.

Like many have said, the genie is out of the bottle now. The NCAA screwed this up by not getting their act together and getting some sort of structure before it was implemented. Then again, when has the NCAA actually made a decision/change that made logical sense the first time?

I think it’ll be fascinating to see all this play out in the next few years.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
ordigger said:
They already get a free education

Some points for consideration:
A - you need to be “good enough” to get NIL money. Just because you ask for it, doesn’t mean you get it.

B - a scholarship (unless it is full cost of attendance) doesn’t give you “free” education. It covers tuition, some books, some food.

C - scholarships aren’t 4 year contracts - the program can give your scholarship to someone else if it isn’t deemed that you’re doing the work or are good enough to continue earning it.

D - non athlete students have all the freedom they want to make as much money as they would like financially. Say if they create an amazing computer application or are a model of some sort, they’re free to do so. Before NIL, this wasn’t the case for athletics

I like the idea of paying them hourly via work study, but what work study actually means is that the employer pays some of the pay rate, then the federal / state government foot the rest.

Finally - with NIL these players are getting money from folks/businesses who have chosen to give their money towards that cause. If they want to do that with their money, so be it.

Like many have said, the genie is out of the bottle now. The NCAA screwed this up by not getting their act together and getting some sort of structure before it was implemented. Then again, when has the NCAA actually made a decision/change that made logical sense the first time?

I think it’ll be fascinating to see all this play out in the next few years.
The NCAA could take it out of the recruiting process. They could make it unmentionable by anyone related to the program or any booster or corporate entity, In the recruiting process. Because these things are related to the school, the player, and the businesses, who want to help, They could make a rulling that the player had to first be established as a true student athlete of that school, the school should sign off on all of these employment contracts and the details of the contracts can only be made public if all parties agree. Otherwise, it could not be discussed by any of the parties. The contracts could be standardized in a way that amounts are not limited, but other aspects are. For example, If the business wanted to sign a 4 year deal, then that deal travels with the player if he should transfer. The new school would become the thirld leg of the deal.

Bannon to the pro portal. He must have a deal all wrapped up or he would have just gone on an exploratory tour of NBA workouts to get feed back before making a final choice. That tells me that he has, most likely, signed a good contract to play over seas. He is a very good player and will be missed greatly.

This certainly opens the door for another transfer big man. TD has his work cut out for him. The good news is that there are a lot of big men in the portal right now and many more to come. I'm sure that the Griz will get what they need.

oldrunner said:
Bannon to the pro portal. He must have a deal all wrapped up or he would have just gone on an exploratory tour of NBA workouts to get feed back before making a final choice. That tells me that he has, most likely, signed a good contract to play over seas. He is a very good player and will be missed greatly.

This certainly opens the door for another transfer big man. TD has his work cut out for him. The good news is that there are a lot of big men in the portal right now and many more to come. I'm sure that the Griz will get what they need.

Sad he is leaving, but wish him all good fortune in the future.

oldrunner said:
Sac has picked up a PF transfer out of Santa Clara, Jacob Holt, 6'9'', 235. Two years to play.

Another big big. Judging by the way Sac liked to play last year, he is a good pick up. I thought Sac underachieved a bit this year, and I'll be curious to see if they can have as much success in the portal in revamping their roster as they did last year.

First good pick up of the portal season.

UMFan12 said:
https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1641860679962353676?s=20

He is going to have no shortage of suitors.

So far the BSC has lost 2 first teamers to the portal/pro game, a second and third team if my math is correct. Really altering the face of what the conference is going to look like next year.

EWU is probably the deepest team in the league, so they might be able to absorb some of that impact.

Grizfan-24 said:
UMFan12 said:

He is going to have no shortage of suitors.

So far the BSC has lost 2 first teamers to the portal/pro game, a second and third team if my math is correct. Really altering the face of what the conference is going to look like next year.

EWU is probably the deepest team in the league, so they might be able to absorb some of that impact.

The Portal absolutely crushes conferences like the Big Sky...One good year and your team gets taken apart, I can't fault Venters to taking a look at bigger schools and there will be a ton of interest, it just sucks for the BSC.

Makes you appreciate Dillon Jones statement a couple weeks ago when he announced he was staying put.

UMFan12 said:
This only slightly changes the outlook for the BSC next season. He is a very good player on a good team. EWU lost a lot of their scoring punch, but they have guys waiting in the wings, ready to step up. They won't be picked first because of their losses, but they are still a top 4 team, IMHO. It does make MSU the clear favorite, but all of the changes going on are likely to make the league even more competitive.

We still have yet to see all of the incoming transfers. There should be a full load of them. Buckle up. :thumb:

Both Krystkowiak brothers in the portal.

Luc put in his papers today. That would be an interesting pickup, Luc was good enough to get a spot at Utah, then transferred out when Larry left. Spent a year at Irvine College where he excelled (14ppg and 8 rpg) and then transferred to Arizona where he didn't see the floor.

Cam started the last half of the year, rates actually as a junior, played only two years, and is a role player. Not sure if they are needle turners for any program, but they actually do fill a need on paper for the Griz. Interesting prospect to think about.

Luc has two or three years, and Cam as it appears has at least two, maybe three if you add in the covid year. Cam is a grad transfer.

Looks like Cam would be a grad transfer with one year left. Luc is a second timer with two years?? left. He would likely have to sit out a year.

Grizfan-24 said:
Both Krystkowiak brothers in the portal.

Luc put in his papers today. That would be an interesting pickup, Luc was good enough to get a spot at Utah, then transferred out when Larry left. Spent a year at Irvine College where he excelled (14ppg and 8 rpg) and then transferred to Arizona where he didn't see the floor.

Cam started the last half of the year, rates actually as a junior, played only two years, and is a role player. Not sure if they are needle turners for any program, but they actually do fill a need on paper for the Griz. Interesting prospect to think about.

Luc has two or three years, and Cam as it appears has at least two, maybe three if you add in the covid year. Cam is a grad transfer.

Cam started most of the year, except when, early on, the coach played some underclassman (and lost every game). Cam was a captain this year. He's played 2 years. He lost his first year due to injury and the Ivies didn't play at all the next covid year. He must have at least 2 years left. Cam was not a role player at Dartmouth. He started 18 games and had the 4th most minutes on the team. In the prior year, he scored 20 points off the bench against Cal.

I saw him play several times and communicated with him fairly often. As I said previously, he wants to go to to a good program closer to home and try to contribute. He's a fairly tall guy who can play in the paint and also shoot the 3.

Griz til I die said:
We’re lacking size with Bannan’s departure. I would take Cam, even if he has to come off the bench!

Is there any indication that Cam would want to become a Griz?

None.

Merely speculation because both of them entered the portal around the same time. I'd think there is a good chance they end up at the same place. Would have said UVU (considering both spent considerable time in SLC) but with Madsen taking the job at Cal, I just don't know. Cam will have some interest, probably moreso than Luc, just based upon product on the floor at the D1 level. Luc is more of an unknown but he was seen as a maybe a better D1 prospect out of HS than Cam. He can score, but struggled to get any action/floor time at Arizona.

Their only real connection to Missoula is their dad and playing here isn't exactly a win for someone with the legacy that Larry has had here. From a fans perspective, it is something that in early April that is fun to think about that is all..

Back