• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Depth Chart

Grizfan-24 said:
Few Things:

1. Staff is really high on Reynolds as a 4/5 post. Can play as a solo post, mobile enough to defend pick and rolls, and is a pretty active rebounder/rim defender. Plays a lot bigger than 6'9'' I'm told.

2. The players that UM is consistently mentioned with now in the last two weeks are PG's and wings. Some of them are older contacts (from beginning of April) but of the post players still in the portal they've been connected with I haven't heard a peep on the interwebs about Bedaiko, Jackson in a hot-minute. As noted, Burke Smith (C) might still be a target. The other one to keep an eye on is Rylan Jones (PG) of Utah State. Coaches follow him and he was a relatively recent entry into the portal.

3. They have a scholarship to offer, and I don't think they'll offer it for the sake of offering it. By having Bannan, Brown and Martin leave, it sort of resets the balance of the roster a bit. If you ignore the two non-counting scholarships this year, there is less imbalance in the roster than the outset of the off-season. Brought in two Juniors w/ two seasons left. My guess the freshman class takes care of itself a bit, but at this point I think there maybe a single candidate for RS or two at most (Henderson/Davidson). They have 16 roster players, 14 scholarships and a whole host of guys who are going to challenge for minutes. The only way I see the staff bringing another guy if they plan to red-shirt at least two of those incoming Freshman.

If you look out the 24-25 season, Montana roster looks like this:
No eligibility left:
- Vasquez
- Moody

Extra Year: (3)
- Whitney
- Thomas, Di
- Oke

Seniors: (23-24 JR's)-(2)
- G. Williams (Transfer)
- T. Sawyer (Transfer)

Juniors (1):
- Nap
+ w/o Solomon

Sophomores (6/7):
- Reynolds
- Thomas, Do
- Williams, M
- Henderson w/o RS
- Davidson w/o RS
- Kerr
+ w/o Bateman

Freshman(1/2):
Davidson w/ RS
Henderson w/ RS

4. I do believe with the way the market was in the portal this year, chasing top end talent is a bit of a losing prospect. Dalton Knecht just took a scholarship at Tennessee. McMillan, a GCU kid and former UM recruit out of HS and an early target, saw his market explode and ended up at Texas Tech. Similar story to that of Williams from Nevada. Montana was in on McMillan, Williams and several other guys, but these power 5 programs seeing their own rosters depleted by departures are over committing to anyone that could provide 'help.' Bedaiko, Jackson all got increased interest in recent weeks and saw their market go from BSC to MWC and power 5 schools. The NAIA POY from Jamestown just took a spot at Wyoming. Again, we are talking about guys who are filtering down to the BSC have been back bench kids or injured. Minott who just verballed to PSU, got little time at South Carolina. Linhardt didn't play much (if at all) at Washington for Idaho. That was true with Jackson Grant before he pulled out of his commitment to MSU after Sprinkle left.

5. I've said this before but this incoming Freshman class is really good. The staff is really, really high on Money Williams. He's not raw or unfinished product, but rather the type of guy who can come in on day 1 and compete. Henderson gives off a lot of Cameron Parker vibes who can run the floor and be a facilitator and a scorer. Davidson had a huge start to the high school season, and I thought along with Williams would be a better candidate for immediate action. He can play a stretch 4, active defender and runs the floor more like a 3. I think it is reasonable that you could under the right circumstances see contributions from all three this year.

6. In the end, if you look at the roster there might be weaknesses, but no glaring holes. Obviously you are leaning on some RS's and True Freshman to play key roles (Reynolds-F/C, Kerr PG, Williams SG/SF), but this roster is a bit more complete (but unproven at the back) than the last two versions. Feels like outside of true Center, there are two or three options at every position to use.

Thanks for the excellent recap.

I don't think Di. Thomas and Oke have eligibility after this year. They each played 3 full years at their previous schools.

Also, can you give a theory on why they still have a scholarship left? Are you assuming Moody's (like Vasquez) doesn't count? I thought the extra Covid year scholarship was only available for people that were in your program during that year (Vasquez) but not for those that weren't (Moody).

GrizBall said:
Grizfan-24 said:
Few Things:

1. Staff is really high on Reynolds as a 4/5 post. Can play as a solo post, mobile enough to defend pick and rolls, and is a pretty active rebounder/rim defender. Plays a lot bigger than 6'9'' I'm told.

2. The players that UM is consistently mentioned with now in the last two weeks are PG's and wings. Some of them are older contacts (from beginning of April) but of the post players still in the portal they've been connected with I haven't heard a peep on the interwebs about Bedaiko, Jackson in a hot-minute. As noted, Burke Smith (C) might still be a target. The other one to keep an eye on is Rylan Jones (PG) of Utah State. Coaches follow him and he was a relatively recent entry into the portal.

3. They have a scholarship to offer, and I don't think they'll offer it for the sake of offering it. By having Bannan, Brown and Martin leave, it sort of resets the balance of the roster a bit. If you ignore the two non-counting scholarships this year, there is less imbalance in the roster than the outset of the off-season. Brought in two Juniors w/ two seasons left. My guess the freshman class takes care of itself a bit, but at this point I think there maybe a single candidate for RS or two at most (Henderson/Davidson). They have 16 roster players, 14 scholarships and a whole host of guys who are going to challenge for minutes. The only way I see the staff bringing another guy if they plan to red-shirt at least two of those incoming Freshman.

If you look out the 24-25 season, Montana roster looks like this:
No eligibility left:
- Vasquez
- Moody

Extra Year: (3)
- Whitney
- Thomas, Di
- Oke

Seniors: (23-24 JR's)-(2)
- G. Williams (Transfer)
- T. Sawyer (Transfer)

Juniors (1):
- Nap
+ w/o Solomon

Sophomores (6/7):
- Reynolds
- Thomas, Do
- Williams, M
- Henderson w/o RS
- Davidson w/o RS
- Kerr
+ w/o Bateman

Freshman(1/2):
Davidson w/ RS
Henderson w/ RS

4. I do believe with the way the market was in the portal this year, chasing top end talent is a bit of a losing prospect. Dalton Knecht just took a scholarship at Tennessee. McMillan, a GCU kid and former UM recruit out of HS and an early target, saw his market explode and ended up at Texas Tech. Similar story to that of Williams from Nevada. Montana was in on McMillan, Williams and several other guys, but these power 5 programs seeing their own rosters depleted by departures are over committing to anyone that could provide 'help.' Bedaiko, Jackson all got increased interest in recent weeks and saw their market go from BSC to MWC and power 5 schools. The NAIA POY from Jamestown just took a spot at Wyoming. Again, we are talking about guys who are filtering down to the BSC have been back bench kids or injured. Minott who just verballed to PSU, got little time at South Carolina. Linhardt didn't play much (if at all) at Washington for Idaho. That was true with Jackson Grant before he pulled out of his commitment to MSU after Sprinkle left.

5. I've said this before but this incoming Freshman class is really good. The staff is really, really high on Money Williams. He's not raw or unfinished product, but rather the type of guy who can come in on day 1 and compete. Henderson gives off a lot of Cameron Parker vibes who can run the floor and be a facilitator and a scorer. Davidson had a huge start to the high school season, and I thought along with Williams would be a better candidate for immediate action. He can play a stretch 4, active defender and runs the floor more like a 3. I think it is reasonable that you could under the right circumstances see contributions from all three this year.

6. In the end, if you look at the roster there might be weaknesses, but no glaring holes. Obviously you are leaning on some RS's and True Freshman to play key roles (Reynolds-F/C, Kerr PG, Williams SG/SF), but this roster is a bit more complete (but unproven at the back) than the last two versions. Feels like outside of true Center, there are two or three options at every position to use.

I don't think Di. Thomas and Oke have eligibility after this year. They each played 3 full years at their previous schools.

Also, can you give a theory on why they still have a scholarship left? Are you assuming Moody's (like Vasquez) doesn't count? I thought the extra Covid year scholarship was only available for people that were in your program during that year (Vasquez) but not for those that weren't (Moody).

I did some research and asked. Moody's comes out the programs private funding non-scholarship fund (roundball club) I've been told. Same w/ Vasquez. As such, and based upon the fact that I saw two or three more guys UM has had contact with (Allen-Eikens A 6-6 SG SO. from CSUN and Bryce Johnson, 6-6 SF Sacred Heart) along with a couple of posts I think they are still on (guy from BSU and Jackson from WSU) I don't think they'd be on those guys w/out knowing they had scholarship(s) available.

Been given the impression that Thomas and Oke both hold Covid years. Fairly certain on Thomas because I have heard it or seen it mentioned, and reasonably sure that Oke does as well. Both will be on paper Seniors next year along with Whitney.

Grizfan-24 said:
GrizBall said:

I did some research and asked. Moody's comes out the programs private funding non-scholarship fund (roundball club) I've been told. Same w/ Vasquez. As such, and based upon the fact that I saw two or three more guys UM has had contact with (Allen-Eikens A 6-6 SG SO. from CSUN and Bryce Johnson, 6-6 SF Sacred Heart) along with a couple of posts I think they are still on (guy from BSU and Jackson from WSU) I don't think they'd be on those guys w/out knowing they had scholarship(s) available.

Been given the impression that Thomas and Oke both hold Covid years. Fairly certain on Thomas because I have heard it or seen it mentioned, and reasonably sure that Oke does as well. Both will be on paper Seniors next year along with Whitney.

Thanks - Makes sense. So for all intents and purposes for scholarship counting, Moody is considered a walk-on.

Here is Thomas' profile. He has already played 4 full seasons. I believe the Covid year only gets you to 5 full seasons, which Thomas and Oke will complete this year. Moody was an exception I believe due to a medical redshirt based on the number of games he played one season at ND due to season ending injury. Whitney has only played 3 full seasons.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/dischon-thomas-1.html

GrizBall said:
Grizfan-24 said:

Thanks - Makes sense. So for all intents and purposes for scholarship counting, Moody is considered a walk-on.

Here is Thomas' profile. He has already played 4 full seasons. I believe the Covid year only gets you to 5 full seasons, which Thomas and Oke will complete this year. Moody was an exception I believe due to a medical redshirt based on the number of games he played one season at ND due to season ending injury. Whitney has only played 3 full seasons.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/dischon-thomas-1.html

I think you are right, just going off the information I was looking at (Verbal Commits) and saw him as a 2019 class kid paired w/ the fact that the UM lists him as a R-JR. Gets to be confusing after a while with all the moving parts as to where they are at. I just misread Oke's.

This whole COVID year and Grads not counting if they stay at the same school thing, sure does muddy the water. I think that may be why Weber was able to bring in the Maryland transfer.

Anyways, it sure looks like Weber and UM will be right back near the top of the BSC next year. At least it appears that way on paper. EWU will be good again, but losing their star guy may hurt them a bit. MSU, and several other programs in the BSC, look to be total rebuilds. Those rebuilds could be very good, we just don't know. Rebuilds can happen fast in this day of the portal.

As always, it should be another interesting year for BSC hoops. :clap:

Back