• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Blake Jones Commits!

Griz til I die

DONOR
https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizBB/status/1658512927580889088?s=20
Well this one totally slipped through the cracks on us, but we finally got our big guy! 6'10 C spent the last 2 years at George Mason primarily coming off the bench in a reserve role. Always good to get another Aussie, we've got one heck of a pipeline into Australia!

He played in 23 games last year, 6 minutes per game. He averaged .4 ppg, 1 rpg, with shooting splits of 17.6/23.1/0.0. He shot better from 3 than he did from 2 and didn't take any free throws. 8 total assists and 8 total turn overs.

oldrunner said:
He played in 23 games last year, 6 minutes per game. He averaged .4 ppg, 1 rpg, with shooting splits of 17.6/23.1/0.0. He shot better from 3 than he did from 2 and didn't take any free throws. 8 total assists and 8 total turn overs.
Sounds like he's still pretty raw. George Mason had some pretty good teams the last 2 years and that's apparent with their head coach Kim English taking the Providence job. Odds are he got buried on the depth chart. With the right system now and UM having a need he could slot right in a be a big benefit to us!

oldrunner said:

If you are going to take a chance on a kid. I think it is wise to take a chance on a kid that is 6"10.

Griz til I die said:
oldrunner said:
Sounds like he's still pretty raw. George Mason had some pretty good teams the last 2 years and that's apparent with their head coach Kim English taking the Providence job. Odds are he got buried on the depth chart. With the right system now and UM having a need he could slot right in a be a big benefit to us!
That's the hope.

Weber's guy from Maryland is in a similar boat. You never really know on these guys until you've seen them play longer minutes against BSC level guys.

The good, Aussie players have a terrific history.
I expect, he too will work hard, fundamentally sound, good student, etc. I like his size, weight.

It's difficult to get too optimistic though. There's just not enough to know his upside. Right now, I'm neutral on him.
I hope he too will be a big contributor.

Welcome to Griz Nation

mtgrizrule said:
I expect, he too will work hard, fundamentally sound, good student, etc. I like his size, weight.

It's difficult to get too optimistic though. There's just not enough to know his upside. Right now, I'm neutral on him.

Welcome to Griz Nation

He could do a few more cheeseburgers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3hQVk_m3y8

This really might be a better "get" for the Griz than people might think. Here he is against Josh Giddey who was the number 6 overall pick in the 2021 NBA Draft. Giddey is a rising star averaging 16.8 points per game and almost 8 rebounds. Jones spent two years battling for time as a freshman and Soph on a really good team. Practicing everyday against good talent.

UncleRico said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3hQVk_m3y8

This really might be a better "get" for the Griz than people might think. Here he is against Josh Giddey who was the number 6 overall pick in the 2021 NBA Draft. Giddey is a rising star averaging 16.8 points per game and almost 8 rebounds. Jones spent two years battling for time as a freshman and Soph on a really good team. Practicing everyday against good talent.

Video did say Jones had 24 pts, 8 boards, and 5 assists in that game. That’s a damn good game.

From the looks of things, no one of your post recruits is a replacement for the productivity of Josh Bannon. Maybe they can get it done by committee.

Your guard line seems as good as ever, so it may be that your post play just needs to not hurt you.

At any rate, it looks like next season's team will be quite similar to last year's, a bit of changing within the post rotations.

oldrunner said:
From the looks of things, no one of your post recruits is a replacement for the productivity of Josh Bannon. Maybe they can get it done by committee.

Your guard line seems as good as ever, so it may be that your post play just needs to not hurt you.

At any rate, it looks like next season's team will be quite similar to last year's, a bit of changing within the post rotations.
Bannon is a great player and will be missed. But players mature and get better. Venters was averaging 3.6 pts a couple years ago as a redshirt freshman and now he’s a Zag. Moody never averaged double figures and was lucky to get 15 minutes a night. Belo was an average JUCO player. Some just need an opportunity. There are going to be surprise players in the Big Sky this year. My hope is that
the surprises wear maroon.

fanofzoo said:
mtgrizrule said:

Welcome to Griz Nation

He could do a few more cheeseburgers.

He prefers vegemite sandwiches.............

PeauxRouge said:
thirdandlong said:
He prefers vegemite sandwiches.............

...and XXXX Beer! We love it down here!

Are you an Aussie? XXXX beer is really only popular in Queensland. Each state basically has their own beer - kinda like Montana and moose drool!

captain jazz said:
PeauxRouge said:
...and XXXX Beer! We love it down here!

Are you an Aussie? XXXX beer is really only popular in Queensland. Each state basically has their own beer - kinda like Montana and moose drool!

Nope. Montanan. Born and raised. Sister spent a year there a few decades back, we hosted a few exchanges back then as well. And I had an Aussie employee for a number of years. All good, fun dudes.

Back