• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Football Talk Op-Ed

I disagree that the age of position coaches does not matter. Maybe not the head coach, but the position coaches matter. Until we promoted Bradford, both our O-coordinator and our D-coordinator were old has-been coaches who were playing-out their former promising FBS coaching careers until retirement at Montana, between fishing trips.

High school athletes want to know who their position coach and coordinator is. They want to bond with a coach during the recruiting process. You will never convince me that a prospect meeting Baer or Rosey, as opposed to a younger, dynamic coach from an opposing school, would make the same impression. These kids don't care if Rosey or Pease played in the NFL 20 years before they were even born!

I am friends with a starter from the 1995 Griz NC team. We were discussing the age of the Griz coaches. He agrees that their age hinders recruiting. He made the statement that in 1995, the players thought Jerome Souers was old, and he was only in his early 40s. The rest of the coaching staff (except for Papa) was young, and the players really related to them. Again, the head coach can be old, but it is the assistants that interact with the players on an every day basis, and that is where the problem with Bobby's staff has been recently.

Fortunately, Bobby has seen the light, and his staff is getting much younger. This should help our competing for recruits. But, in my opinion, Bobby waited 5 years too long to purge the old out, and bring-in the new.

SaskGriz said:
thirdandlong said:
I don't do Tik Tok. I'll leave that for you libs and your commie buddies across the pond. I already got the ball rolling.
[/quote
Tik tok had nothing to do with the website. Tik tok meant, time is ticking by, nothing more. You posted a four point position about the griz, all I did was ask about where you got your data so we could have a football conversation.

Data? My post was an opinion, and open for discussion. I think most posters who follow Montana high school football know who the top 10 players in the state are every year. It is discussed verbatim every year on here, and yes, VIM's rankings seem to be spot-on.

And as far as you contributing to the football discussion, I am still waiting. All you did in your previous post was question my sources for my opinion, but offered nothing in rebuttal.

thirdandlong said:
SaskGriz said:
Data? My post was an opinion, and open for discussion. I think most posters who follow Montana high school football know who the top 10 players in the state are every year. It is discussed verbatim every year on here, and yes, VIM's rankings seem to be spot-on.

And as far as you contributing to the football discussion, I am still waiting. All you did in your previous post was question my sources for my opinion, but offered nothing in rebuttal.
I can't rebut something if I don't know where you are getting the data to form your opinion. I'll go back know and see if we used to get 9 out of the 10 in state recruits, but that's going to take a bit of time. As to your age of the coaches thing, it appears from your follow up post that your opinion is formed from a conversation with a player from the 95 team, that's what we call hearsay and isn't really evidence of anything. So my rebuttal to that is The Big Lebowski counter; well, that's like your opinion, dude. If you want a football discussion bring some facts; does the team that you think gets the best out of state recruits in the Big Sky also have the youngest staff? You've got the 149 IQ show us some evidence.

thirdandlong said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Stupid troll thread started by an obsessed racist? Yep, I’m participating. Just throwing my hat in the ring here as a placeholder before taking my kids to a *gasp* MLS game.

ROFL. We knew the "racist" allegation would appear from you in 5-4-3.... And what does pointing-out that Tik Tok, owned by the Chinese Communist Party, our #1 international adversary, who was practicing this week blowing-up ships in our Pacific fleet, and being banned in Montana, and being considered for national banning, have to do with race? Of course, that is what all libs do, pull the race card for everything. Shallow, and pathetic. We get it. Now go watch soccer, because you know nothing about the American game we call football.

Not talking about TikTok. You know what I’m talking about because the kids had to delete it after you posted it. Now go eat a Werther’s and stop being a tool because everyone knows you didn’t start this thread to “talk football”. (We’re still supposed to pretend you’re Dill, right?)

mthoopsfan said:
SoldierGriz said:
...and yet they curb stomped the Griz in Missoula last year. That game was not close. What does that say about the Griz?

No, Idaho didn't curb stomp the Griz. Idaho won by 7. Our qb Johnson was quite sick that day and had been sick all week. He wasn't about to run as a duel threat.

Idaho lost its first playoff game. UM won its first playoff game.

In the Coaches post-season poll, UM was ranked no. 14 , and Idaho was no. 22. What does that say about what the coaches thought about Idaho?

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/fcs-coaches-poll

Weren't Griz 0 and 4 vs. BSC playoff teams last year?

EverettGriz said:
Growler is the only one in America who uses "ROFL" in the last 10 years.

Must not be in vogue on Tik Tok, your PC go-to site. Love to watch the left-coast libs have a hissy-fit in a football thread. Of course, they offer NOTHING to the discussion related to the topic.. Gee, we wonder why??? ROFL!

Mousegriz said:
Delaney's last two conference seasons were both 6 and 2......Stitt's 5 and 3.

Good point. But don't provide facts to deter their unbridled expectations for the coming season. A natty is just around the corner for Bobby...... just have faith

SaskGriz said:
thirdandlong said:
I can't rebut something if I don't know where you are getting the data to form your opinion. I'll go back know and see if we used to get 9 out of the 10 in state recruits, but that's going to take a bit of time. As to your age of the coaches thing, it appears from your follow up post that your opinion is formed from a conversation with a player from the 95 team, that's what we call hearsay and isn't really evidence of anything. So my rebuttal to that is The Big Lebowski counter; well, that's like your opinion, dude. If you want a football discussion bring some facts; does the team that you think gets the best out of state recruits in the Big Sky also have the youngest staff? You've got the 149 IQ show us some evidence.

Talking to you about football is like talking to George Soros about supporting the Fallen Police Officers Fund.

thirdandlong said:
EverettGriz said:
Growler is the only one in America who uses "ROFL" in the last 10 years.

Must not be in vogue on Tik Tok, your PC go-to site. Love to watch the left-coast libs have a hissy-fit in a football thread. Of course, they offer NOTHING to the discussion related to the topic.. Gee, we wonder why??? ROFL!

Not that it matters one flying fvck, but I’ve never used tik tok. But then, I don’t do much SM. Sorry if that crushes your your image, Growler.

And I so love the right wing nut jobs talking politics on a “football” thread.

EverettGriz said:
thirdandlong said:

Not that it matters one flying fvck, but I’ve never used tik tok. But then, I don’t do much SM. Sorry if that crushes your your image, Growler.

As if you left wing nut jobs don't....

kemajic said:
EverettGriz said:

As if you left wing nut jobs don't....

Can’t speak to that. Politics don’t consume my every thought.

thirdandlong said:
SaskGriz said:
Talking to you about football is like talking to George Soros about supporting the Fallen Police Officers Fund.
I have no idea what that means but anyway, nothing I said above is wrong. You have however inspired me to try to figure out, which school "wins the state" each year. Unfortunately while the Griz media guides are readily available on-line I can't seem to find the Cats guides. Any cat fans (that hurts my stomach just typing it) know where a guy could find those sort of resources. I'm thinking I'll use some sort of scoring system; a point for each recruit, 2 if they made the team (plus one for each year they were on the roster), 3 for a contributor, 4 for a starter, 5 for All-Big Sky/All American, and hell, why not 6 if they got drafted or made an NFL roster. No points for playing CFL, that game is weak and all Canadians are leftists loonies who live in a totalitarian democracy.

Mousegriz said:
mthoopsfan said:
No, Idaho didn't curb stomp the Griz. Idaho won by 7. Our qb Johnson was quite sick that day and had been sick all week. He wasn't about to run as a duel threat.

Idaho lost its first playoff game. UM won its first playoff game.

In the Coaches post-season poll, UM was ranked no. 14 , and Idaho was no. 22. What does that say about what the coaches thought about Idaho?

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/fcs-coaches-poll

Ya but, something about your very big Johnson, or very good Johnson….something like that, I can’t keep it straight.

poorgriz said:
Mousegriz said:

Ya but, something about your very big Johnson, or very good Johnson….something like that, I can’t keep it straight.

I'm not surprised. See your doctor. There are meds for that condition these days.

EverettGriz said:
thirdandlong said:

Then you and your lib buddies need to learn to spell the Funk & Wagnals English words, Tick Tock.

SaskGriz said:
thirdandlong said:
I have no idea what that means but anyway, nothing I said above is wrong. You have however inspired me to try to figure out, which school "wins the state" each year. Unfortunately while the Griz media guides are readily available on-line I can't seem to find the Cats guides. Any cat fans (that hurts my stomach just typing it) know where a guy could find those sort of resources. I'm thinking I'll use some sort of scoring system; a point for each recruit, 2 if they made the team (plus one for each year they were on the roster), 3 for a contributor, 4 for a starter, 5 for All-Big Sky/All American, and hell, why not 6 if they got drafted or made an NFL roster. No points for playing CFL, that game is weak and all Canadians are leftists loonies who live in a totalitarian democracy.

I love giving you a homework assignment., it is due on Tuesday.

EverettGriz said:
poorgriz said:

I'm not surprised. See your doctor. There are meds for that condition these days.

Seriously. We’ve all seen the bent vegetable commercials during sports broadcasts. My goodness, what kinds of shenanigans are these people engaging in? Apologies to all the Captain Hooks out there, but you should know what goes where.

poorgriz said:
Mousegriz said:

Good....or real good....or elite according to some.

Back