• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Possible Future Big 12 and Pac 12 Re-Alignment

mthoopsfan

"Dodd explained the Buffaloes would be in line to receive an equal media rights share of $31.7 million starting in 2025 if they returned to the Big 12, which will provide such shares to expansion teams if they are currently a Power Five team.

Perhaps with that in mind, Dodd also suggested Colorado leaving could "create a domino effect leading to the other Four Corners schools—Arizona, Arizona State and Utah—fleeing for the Big 12 as well."

Such exits, when paired with the impending departure of powerhouse programs USC and UCLA to the Big Ten, would be quite the blow for the Pac-12 and its ability to be taken seriously in future College Football Playoff discussions.

Then there is Colorado's new football coach, who reportedly will be a significant deciding factor if a move is made:"

"Colorado, Big 12 Reportedly in 'Substantive' Talks After Deion Sanders Hire
What's old might become new again. Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports reported Tuesday that Colorado has held "substantive" talks with its former conference, the Big 12"

Bleacher Report: https://apple.news/ArlbGPWwoTVa6_KdPq-oWNw

As a B12 fan, I'd welcome all four of those schools into the fold. Should have gone that route in the first place and skipped the UCF/Cincinnati/Houston/BYU debacle...those schools do NOTHING for the football landscape, IMHO. Not to mention flinging the conference even further over every single freaking time zone in America. Need to give Cincinnati, UCF and West By God Virginia back to some least coast conference and move along. Maybe scoop up Nebraska and Iowa from the B10 along with the four aforementioned...

Colorado
U of A
Utah
ASU
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Nebraska
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Oklahoma State

I like that slate.

AZGrizFan said:
As a B12 fan, I'd welcome all four of those schools into the fold. Should have gone that route in the first place and skipped the UCF/Cincinnati/Houston/BYU debacle...those schools do NOTHING for the football landscape, IMHO. Not to mention flinging the conference even further over every single freaking time zone in America. Need to give Cincinnati, UCF and West By God Virginia back to some least coast conference and move along. Maybe scoop up Nebraska and Iowa from the B10 along with the four aforementioned...

Colorado
U of A
Utah
ASU
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Nebraska
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Oklahoma State

I like that slate.

Agree - West Virginia, UCF, Cincy, and Houston can all go today. But, I'd keep BYU - huge, passionate fan base and if Utah joins - a very fun built in rival. Love it when they both wear their home jerseys when the play.

AZGrizFan said:

Colorado
U of A
Utah
ASU
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Nebraska
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Oklahoma State

I like that slate.

Why in any world would Nebraska leave a league with Ohio State and Michigan for one with TCU and K State? Plus triple the TV money. More likely to get booted for irrelevance (outside of volleyball). I will agree the constant league hopping is bad for college athletics. I see a net negative for USC and UCLA in all sports save football and maybe men's hoops because of the travel. Think it will hurt recruiting. Trying to do school with the East coast travel every other week will suck except for football. Will the money be worth it over all, not like either place is hurting?

Hoops watcher said:
AZGrizFan said:

Colorado
U of A
Utah
ASU
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Nebraska
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Oklahoma State

I like that slate.

Why in any world would Nebraska leave a league with Ohio State and Michigan for one with TCU and K State? Plus triple the TV money. More likely to get booted for irrelevance (outside of volleyball). I will agree the constant league hopping is bad for college athletics. I see a net negative for USC and UCLA in all sports save football and maybe men's hoops because of the travel. Think it will hurt recruiting. Trying to do school with the East coast travel every other week will suck except for football. Will the money be worth it over all, not like either place is hurting?

Nebraska wouldn't beat K-State in their best game of the year. Very good chance K-State wins the Big 12 this season.

Hoops watcher said:
Trying to do school with the East coast travel every other week will suck except for football.
Huh? How many Big 10 schools are on the East Coast?

Wishful thinking on my part:

-Big12 takes Utah, Colorado and the Arizonas

-Big10 takes Oregon and Washington at reduced shares

-Remaining 4 PAC schools bury their snobbery and take the following MWC schools: Boise State, SDSU, Fresno State, Hawaii, UNLV, CSU

-The MWC backfills with UTEP, NMSU, Montana and MSU creating the following Conference:

Montana
MSU
Wyoming
Nevada
Air Force
SJSU
New Mexico
Utah State
NMSU
UTEP

STATES: (CA, MT, WY, CO, NM, TX, UT, NV)

If they want to get back to 12 other options: UC-Davis, Sac State, NDSU, SDSU, NAU

kemajic said:
Hoops watcher said:
Trying to do school with the East coast travel every other week will suck except for football.
Huh? How many Big 10 schools are on the East Coast?

And the Eastern time zone. Time zone is more important than geographic location.

SoldierGriz said:
Hoops watcher said:

Nebraska wouldn't beat K-State in their best game of the year. Very good chance K-State wins the Big 12 this season.

Current discussion is is that Nebraska may be asked to leave because they have not made it to a single postseason major event in football or basketball since they joined the league. And they're one of the few power five schools to have that distinction.

Montanabob said:
SoldierGriz said:

Current discussion is is that Nebraska may be asked to leave because they have not made it to a single postseason major event in football or basketball since they joined the league. And they're one of the few power five schools to have that distinction.

Really? And they have no pedigree in football historically.

mthoopsfan said:
Montanabob said:

Nothing recently. 2019 one week in top 25. 2016 top 10. And 3-9 last year?

Montanabob said:
mthoopsfan said:

Nothing recently. 2019 one week in top 25. 2016 top 10. And 3-9 last year?

If Nebraska was asked to leave the Big Ten, it would be over academics and not on field success. Even with losing records or lack of success on the field they have a huge fan base from previous success as mentioned above. They fit the geographic footprint, as if that matters now with UCLA and USC on board.

However, what they don’t have is AAU status which every other university in the conference does. These schools care about academics and how their universities are perceived outside of the field of play. When Nebraska joined they were a member but have since lost that status and not met the requirements to regain it.

SoldierGriz said:
Hoops watcher said:

Tech may have something to say about that, my friend.

Ut-Grizfan said:

-Remaining 4 PAC schools bury their snobbery and take the following MWC schools: Boise State, SDSU, Fresno State, Hawaii, UNLV, CSU

-The MWC backfills with UTEP, NMSU, Montana and MSU creating the following Conference:

Montana
MSU
Wyoming
Nevada
Air Force
SJSU
New Mexico
Utah State
NMSU
UTEP

If they want to get back to 12 other options: UC-Davis, Sac State, NDSU, SDSU, NAU

I would bet a significantly reduced P5 PAC-12 takes SJSU before Colorado State…and I’d prefer to be in a conference with CSU not SJSU :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
SoldierGriz said:

Tech may have something to say about that, my friend.

That’s right! Heck, bring on Georgia! We will smash them

AZGrizFan said:
Ut-Grizfan said:

Montana
MSU
Wyoming
Nevada
Air Force
SJSU
New Mexico
Utah State
NMSU
UTEP

I would bet a significantly reduced P5 PAC-12 takes SJSU before Colorado State…and I’d prefer to be in a conference with CSU not SJSU :lol:

The PAC values research $$ and I believe CSU has more money invested in that then even some current members. Granted may not be a factor if Utah, Colorado and the Arizonas leave.

AZGrizFan said:
Ut-Grizfan said:

Montana
MSU
Wyoming
Nevada
Air Force
SJSU
New Mexico
Utah State
NMSU
UTEP

Given the attitude of Main Hall and the BOR, UM won’t be joining any conference, except maybe the Frontier.

Back