• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Explanation of the 2022 Season?

SoldierGriz said:
kemajic said:
His seat is not hot; he will be at UM until he retires, another 5 years by his own quotes. His assistants know that and know that they are secure. Haslam and BH are negotiating an extension and the points are $ for the assistants, not BH security. It's no secret that $ are tight at UM.

Your BH narrative is really lame.

Unlike you - I don't have a narrative.

I thought BH didn't want an extension. Now he does? Please share more.

Out-to-lunch as usual.

You are ALL narrative. No substance. Don't understand the game. Don't have any info on the program. Don't know any coaches.

Up until the time of the article when Hauck was told about his contract, he obviously wasn't looking for a new contract or extension.

SoldierGriz said:
I don't think anyone ever questioned BH's drive to win. I certainly didn't. But, every D1 football coach is driven.

Honest question - how many years will we continue to make excuses about injuries and "bad calls?"

It's a relatively new phenomenon here in Griz nation.

The user I responded to had posted something to the effect of "how do you make these coaches have urgency to win?" Part of my point is that we had that urgency, and obviously every coach wants to win every game.

For my answer? I take things as a trajectory. We had a very strong upward trajectory. We then had one season with CLEARLY defined reasons we ended up ranked where we were. If that trajectory does not continue to go back upwards, then there will be a clear pattern and negative direction.

I think that there is a lot of connotation between "making excuses," and "pointing to valid reasons." Those injuries and calls were certainly issues. While you can't fix refs, I would say that going out and adding a backup QB to replace Brown and compete with Brown and Vidlak is learning from the past season. That is what you want, and I'm pretty satisfied with where it is at.

Guess I have to explain my explanations.
My thoughts are that other teams have been able to adapt, but our approach seems to be 'keep trying it over and over again, it'll work!' Symptomatic of the play calling. The Eastwood fumble(same play, try it again), or not having developed even one backup QB to replace Johnson, or Stead, or whomever #1 was any particular year(the falloff in quality from #1 to #2 has been huge). It just seems there is complacency on the part of Bobby's assistants. Here it is, five years in and only now he makes the change at OC/QB coach. Why did he wait so long? Injuries are part of the game. Next man up! Has the assistant developed the backup(s)? If not, why not? That's the kind of explanations I was looking for. You QB Club insiders can PM me if you don't want to put it on this thread.

And, no, I never played the game.

3-7-77 said:
My thoughts are that other teams have been able to adapt, but our approach seems to be 'keep trying it over and over again, it'll work!' Symptomatic of the play calling. The Eastwood fumble(same play, try it again), or not having developed even one backup QB to replace Johnson, or Stead, or whomever #1 was any particular year(the falloff in quality from #1 to #2 has been huge). It just seems there is complacency on the part of Bobby's assistants. Here it is, five years in and only now he makes the change at OC/QB coach. Why did he wait so long? Injuries are part of the game. Next man up! Has the assistant developed the backup(s)? If not, why not? That's the kind of explanations I was looking for. You QB Club insiders can PM me if you don't want to put it on this thread.

Humphrey backed up Sneed, and he was good. Two seasons ago, Brown was better as a backup and I think was 3-1 as a starter. Seemed like he would be a good or better backup last year, but wasn't. I see no complacency in Bobby or his assistants. Don't know how anyone could think that.

Hauck has had only 4 full seasons, and now has changed OC's in the 5th year. I don't know enough about the circumstances to comment on the substance of the change. I guess we'll see how Pease does.

Sure, injuries are part of the game, but injuries to key players are killers. How did San Fran do when their starter went down in the playoffs? How did the Cats do when both of their qb's got hurt in a game? Sure, sometimes there's a very good backup; sometimes there isn't. Johnson was an all-conference level player early in the season before he was hurt. The Griz have good depth at almost every position.

3-7-77 said:

Hey, I'm not trying to attack you or say anything about you playing the game. We should all be on the same team here. To answer your specific points, because I do think some is an overblown narrative and some has been corrected.

Doing the same thing -- We actually had a pretty varied offense with Johnson in there. We just seemed to simplify it down a lot when he went out.

Backup QB's -- I never want to criticize Brown, because he is out there putting his all into this and I am just on a message board. I'm sure he's a great kid. There will always be a drop off, and it seemed steep at times, but he/the coaches did have us in those games at Sac and Weber. We didn't get ran off the field. I think Brown is pretty well prepared. In spring practices, you could see coaches telling him to get in there and show people how to operate a play. So I push back against the idea that the coaches "can't develop a backup QB." I think they did but yes, in game he seemed to not rise to great heights. That has been solved by bringing in not one but TWO quarterbacks to be competing at the top of the depth chart. If we had just focused on bringing in a high schooler and developing him, then people would complain about us not being ready to win right now. This is the new normal of the portal. In my opinion.

Coaching Changes -- I think they waited on making the changes because until just this last year, our trajectory had been on the up. We had been getting better and having better results every year after his return until last year. Why would he shake up what was going in the right direction? And it is exceedingly rare to switch coaches mid year, especially at Universities like ours. I'm not sure if you know this, but the coaches have to go through the same hiring process as all University employees. It involves a hiring committee, and is not super short. So, a season ended with results that meet expectations, and changes were made. That is all how things are supposed to work.

I don't speak for the coaches or the university, and I don't even know any of the coaches in a close personal way, so I'm just speaking for myself and what I saw.

Again, I'm NOT saying this to attack you, but you had mentioned to me before that you are looking for explanations from Hauck. If you don't want to be in the QB club for whatever reason, which is fine, I'd suggest watching the press conferences. There is during the week before the game, and then there is a second one after the game is over. They can both be found at skylinesportsmt.com and I would highly recommend them.

I wouldn't necessarily advise this, but you could also shoot the guy an email. He is a public employee, and he may take the time to respond if things are not done as a personal attack. Again, I can't speak to that. I've never tried. But his contact information is public.

mthoopsfan said:
SoldierGriz said:
Unlike you - I don't have a narrative.

I thought BH didn't want an extension. Now he does? Please share more.

Out-to-lunch as usual.

You are ALL narrative. No substance. Don't understand the game. Don't have any info on the program. Don't know any coaches.

Up until the time of the article when Hauck was told about his contract, he obviously wasn't looking for a new contract or extension.

It is impossible for someone to be more wrong than you are on this and most topics.

You have the analytical skills of an elementary school student. I continue to doubt you are a lawyer based on this.

You clearly know nothing about D1 football, and you know even less about the Griz. It's ridiculous you continue to post on here with such a lack of knowledge and insist on embarrassing yourself.

You are a life-long cat fan parading as a Griz fan and many on here have fallen for it for years. Your cloak is off and you are now in a full blown, panic-induced temper tantrum. Typical cat.

SoldierGriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

It is impossible for someone to be more wrong than you are on this and most topics.

You have the analytical skills of an elementary school student. I continue to doubt you are a lawyer based on this.

You clearly know nothing about D1 football, and you know even less about the Griz. It's ridiculous you continue to post on here with such a lack of knowledge and insist on embarrassing yourself.

You are a life-long cat fan parading as a Griz fan and many on here have fallen for it for years. Your cloak is off and you are now in a full blown, panic-induced temper tantrum. Typical cat.

Most everything I say about Griz football is correct. Most of what you say is wrong. You are wrong so often that it doesn’t surprise me that you can’t tell what is right. I am happy to debate most any Griz subject with you.

Elrod and hoops, thank you for your opinions. We all have opinions. The seven blind men and an elephant come to mind.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The Elephant in the Dark" redirects here. For the 1974 book, see The Elephant in the Dark (book).

Blind men and the elephant, 1907 American illustration.

Blind Men Appraising an Elephant by Ohara Donshu, Edo Period (early 19th century), Brooklyn Museum
The parable of the blind men and an elephant is a story of a group of blind men who have never come across an elephant before and who learn and imagine what the elephant is like by touching it. Each blind man feels a different part of the elephant's body, but only one part, such as the side or the tusk. They then describe the elephant based on their limited experience and their descriptions of the elephant are different from each other. In some versions, they come to suspect that the other person is dishonest and they come to blows. The moral of the parable is that humans have a tendency to claim absolute truth based on their limited, subjective experience as they ignore other people's limited, subjective experiences which may be equally true.[1][2] The parable originated in the ancient Indian subcontinent, from where it has been widely diffused.

The 'limited, subjective experience' would be an apt description of myself.

3-7-77 said:
Elrod and hoops, thank you for your opinions. We all have opinions. The seven blind men and an elephant come to mind.
"The Elephant in the Dark" redirects here. For the 1974 book, see The Elephant in the Dark (book).

Blind Men Appraising an Elephant by Ohara Donshu, Edo Period (early 19th century), Brooklyn Museum
The parable of the blind men and an elephant is a story of a group of blind men who have never come across an elephant before and who learn and imagine what the elephant is like by touching it. Each blind man feels a different part of the elephant's body, but only one part, such as the side or the tusk. They then describe the elephant based on their limited experience and their descriptions of the elephant are different from each other. In some versions, they come to suspect that the other person is dishonest and they come to blows. The moral of the parable is that humans have a tendency to claim absolute truth based on their limited, subjective experience as they ignore other people's limited, subjective experiences which may be equally true.[1][2] The parable originated in the ancient Indian subcontinent, from where it has been widely diffused.

Fair enough. You are certainly welcome to yours. I thought that you were being sincere in asking what the explanation has been in general, and I attempted to provide that. You are correct that none of us can have absolute truth as fans. If you have some salient points in response, I'd be happy to hear them. Over on my side of the street, I'm just staying positive and I'm genuinely excited for this fall.

3-7-77 said:

I didn’t realize you were blind. My bad.

ElrodGrizzly said:
3-7-77 said:

Fair enough. You are certainly welcome to yours. I thought that you were being sincere in asking what the explanation has been in general, and I attempted to provide that. You are correct that none of us can have absolute truth as fans. If you have some salient points in response, I'd be happy to hear them. Over on my side of the street, I'm just staying positive and I'm genuinely excited for this fall.

Big difference in being positive, and being realistic. There is no way our defense, which lost three al-conference players, will be as good as last season. Defense wins games, and we have lots of questions on defense related to poor recruiting. See D-line, and defensive secondary.
And our offense still has huge questions at the QB position, since none of the QBs have any meaningful starting experience.
While it might be great to be positive as a Griz fan, those of us who are honest about the make-up of the 2023 edition of our team understand the many questions still around, some of which we did not have with last year's team.
I am as big a fan as anyone. But I choose to ignore the hype, and deal with reality....... such as a sixth place conference finish, continued pummeling by our in-state rivals, and embarrassing losses in the playoffs.

thirdandlong said:
ElrodGrizzly said:

Big difference in being positive, and being realistic. There is no way our defense, which lost three al-conference players, will be as good as last season. Defense wins games, and we have lots of questions on defense related to poor recruiting. See D-line, and defensive secondary.
And our offense still has huge questions at the QB position, since none of the QBs have any meaningful starting experience.
While it might be great to be positive as a Griz fan, those of us who are honest about the make-up of the 2023 edition of our team understand the many questions still around, some of which we did not have with last year's team.
I am as big a fan as anyone. But I choose to ignore the hype, and deal with reality....... such as a sixth place conference finish, continued pummeling by our in-state rivals, and embarrassing losses in the playoffs.

The thing you don't take into consideration is player development. Did you see O'Connell being the player he ended being after he transferred from DII University of Mary? Or Robby Hauck after he transferred from NAU as a redshirt? We didn't know much about Ford other than he was a JC player that bounced around a couple DI schools. We have some good young players. I would say we are actually pretty loaded at safety and D Line. CB needs some depth but Corbin Walker is a very good player and Gradney is a player is that was an All Conference special teams player that is now getting his shot. I am optimistic not because I'm a sugar coating fan I am optimistic because the talent is there. Looking forward to letting Bradford do his work. Griz lucky to have someone with his experience.

thirdandlong said:
ElrodGrizzly said:

I do think I am being realistic. The defense probably will take a step back from the historic two we have just had. But why are we questioning the Griz ability to field a defense after what we have seen on the field the last two years? I have been jacked for our team to take the field on that side of the ball week after week. Our safeties will be experienced, talented, and hard hitting. Our D Line is as deep as it has been in five years. I completely trust that our pipeline of top notch linebackers will continue as it has for five years. Our corners are green, sure, but our D Coordinator literally coached Champ Bailey. I think he can get a lot out of them.

I feel better about our offense to start the season than I have in years. The offensive line has gotten bigger and stronger, and now has more continuity. That experience together is invaluable on a line. Our running back room is so loaded that it is just absurd. I really liked what I saw out of Vidlak. We have gone out of our way to add a backup QB from the portal to compete with Vidlak and/or Brown for the top two spots. Our receivers have speed, height, and a good amount of experience now.

I am not expecting a national championship this year, but I think we will be competitive with any team and able to take a more than fair swing at NDSU and SDSU and MSU when we get the chance. And that isn't a knock on us. Those three teams are going to be very, very good football teams who would all have a chance to compete strongly at the FBS level. (JMU went up after losing to those teams and was ranked top 25 in the nation for a bit in their first year moving up). I don't think any of that is unrealistic.

ElrodGrizzly said:
3-7-77 said:

Hey, I'm not trying to attack you or say anything about you playing the game. We should all be on the same team here. To answer your specific points, because I do think some is an overblown narrative and some has been corrected.

Doing the same thing -- We actually had a pretty varied offense with Johnson in there. We just seemed to simplify it down a lot when he went out.

Backup QB's -- I never want to criticize Brown, because he is out there putting his all into this and I am just on a message board. I'm sure he's a great kid. There will always be a drop off, and it seemed steep at times, but he/the coaches did have us in those games at Sac and Weber. We didn't get ran off the field. I think Brown is pretty well prepared. In spring practices, you could see coaches telling him to get in there and show people how to operate a play. So I push back against the idea that the coaches "can't develop a backup QB." I think they did but yes, in game he seemed to not rise to great heights. That has been solved by bringing in not one but TWO quarterbacks to be competing at the top of the depth chart. If we had just focused on bringing in a high schooler and developing him, then people would complain about us not being ready to win right now. This is the new normal of the portal. In my opinion.

Coaching Changes -- I think they waited on making the changes because until just this last year, our trajectory had been on the up. We had been getting better and having better results every year after his return until last year. Why would he shake up what was going in the right direction? And it is exceedingly rare to switch coaches mid year, especially at Universities like ours. I'm not sure if you know this, but the coaches have to go through the same hiring process as all University employees. It involves a hiring committee, and is not super short. So, a season ended with results that meet expectations, and changes were made. That is all how things are supposed to work.

I don't speak for the coaches or the university, and I don't even know any of the coaches in a close personal way, so I'm just speaking for myself and what I saw.

Again, I'm NOT saying this to attack you, but you had mentioned to me before that you are looking for explanations from Hauck. If you don't want to be in the QB club for whatever reason, which is fine, I'd suggest watching the press conferences. There is during the week before the game, and then there is a second one after the game is over. They can both be found at skylinesportsmt.com and I would highly recommend them.

I wouldn't necessarily advise this, but you could also shoot the guy an email. He is a public employee, and he may take the time to respond if things are not done as a personal attack. Again, I can't speak to that. I've never tried. But his contact information is public.

This is a great post

HookedonGriz said:
ElrodGrizzly said:

This is a great post

I agree.

thirdandlong said:
ElrodGrizzly said:

You say you are “realistic”, but don’t use facts and just revert to your narrative. You show that you don’t know much about the team.

The D will be very good. Seemingly deep everywhere except corner. A huge number of good linebackers. Young d-line players itching to get on field and make impact.

O looks very talented and deep, subject to how good the qb play will be. We will have to see how good the qb’s are, but qb is not a “huge question.”

UM is not “continuing to be pummeled” by the Cats. UM pummeled the Cats the prior season. Losses to the likes of NDSU and JMU in the playoffs are not embarrassing. Those were great teams at top of FCS.

Try starting with the facts, instead of your narrative.

3-7-77 said:

I played the game & let us see what transpires this upcoming Season then decide where we go! Dah! :roll:

mthoopsfan said:
thirdandlong said:

You say you are “realistic”, but don’t use facts and just revert to your narrative. You show that you don’t know much about the team.

The D will be very good. Seemingly deep everywhere except corner. A huge number of good linebackers. Young d-line players itching to get on field and make impact.

O looks very talented and deep, subject to how good the qb play will be. We will have to see how good the qb’s are, but qb is not a “huge question.”

UM is not “continuing to be pummeled” by the Cats. UM pummeled the Cats the prior season. Losses to the likes of NDSU and JMU in the playoffs are not embarrassing. Those were great teams at top of FCS.

Try starting with the facts, instead of your narrative.

You mean my narrative like your fact-less narrative that the Griz only lost because Johnson got hurt. A narrative like that one?
Facts? You want facts? Does losing to the Cats 4 of the past 5 years, and finishing no higher than third in the conference during Hauck's tenure count as facts??? Inquiring minds want to know. Spin that one, Sparky!

UncleRico said:
thirdandlong said:

The thing you don't take into consideration is player development. Did you see O'Connell being the player he ended being after he transferred from DII University of Mary? Or Robby Hauck after he transferred from NAU as a redshirt? We didn't know much about Ford other than he was a JC player that bounced around a couple DI schools. We have some good young players. I would say we are actually pretty loaded at safety and D Line. CB needs some depth but Corbin Walker is a very good player and Gradney is a player is that was an All Conference special teams player that is now getting his shot. I am optimistic not because I'm a sugar coating fan I am optimistic because the talent is there. Looking forward to letting Bradford do his work. Griz lucky to have someone with his experience.

To the pedestrian fan, graduation can be seen as the death of a good program, with senior contributors leaving. Within the program, it time for sophomores and juniors to earn a starting role on the team. Don't we have linebackers emerge every year that excel at the position? Try comparing sophomores' performances at the LB position with the O'Connell's performances when they were sophomores, as opposed to seniors, if you want to get a sense of who will emerge. People with no clue here were licking their chops at the virtual lack of returning starters for the Cats on their o-line last year, yet the new guys performed and held together well for them.

I have faith in the analysis of the newcomers to the coaching staff that we will have very good teams on both sides of the ball, and look forward to cheering them on this upcoming season. Most people want to blame last season's disappointments on QB injuries, but I saw a team that was 5-0 get too big for its britches and overconfident before the loss to Idaho, from which they never really recovered. I don't see that happening to the team this year.

Back