• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz need a new logo

JayLarson

I was out yesterday looking for some Griz stuff and noticed that most the Griz stuff is pretty plain, there is stuff where Cat items look better because they have an actual logo on it, not just a UM like most Griz stuff. You would think someone involved with U of M would notice this and they would come up with a new logo. I know there are lots of traditionalists on here, but a new exciting logo using a Grizzly would lead to a huge increase in sales. :twocents:
Any one have any thoughts on this?

JayLarson said:
I was out yesterday looking for some Griz stuff and noticed that most the Griz stuff is pretty plain, there is stuff where Cat items look better because they have an actual logo on it, not just a UM like most Griz stuff. You would think someone involved with U of M would notice this and they would come up with a new logo. I know there are lots of traditionalists on here, but a new exciting logo using a Grizzly would lead to a huge increase in sales. :twocents:

I noticed this week that all my clothes are either camo or Griz gear. Need to buy some real clothes.

JayLarson said:

Not a bad idea. The claw is something I would like to see used more frequently on gear. Still could include the Griz logo, just would like to see larger versions of the claws on shirts, hats, etc. CClark just reminded me of how bad my wardrobe is. Christmas sales on - I guess I better get shopping as well.

I have thought for a while that a large outline of a paw would be cool. Picture a Boise State helmet and the Bronco but in a paw. On a helmet it would take up one side. Other side of helmet either number, Griz script or interlocked UM.

Also just and outlined faced of a Griz would look cool. Say take the face of the Griz off the 50 and outline it. The eyes, nose and face features would all be maroon and tie into the outline. Picture all that in maroon on a silver or white helmet. Again the scale would need to take up one side of a helmet. I think Cal has something similar they use on a jersey.

Long story short it is time to do some logo and apperal work, which would make money. Gotta have the new stuff!!

I'm a huge fan of the Griz script logo and think it should always be the primary mark of the Montana Grizzlies sports' teams. It's unique to our school unlike the claw or the interlocking UM.

The claw is a great secondary mark and complements the script mark well.

I agree the interlocking UM mark is very plain and I never really consider any apparel featuring it.

Here's a wardrobe hint. Try shopping for Griz apparel in the pro shops of Montana's private golf clubs. They get stuff for guys and gals you never see in the Bookstore and they are pretty good stuff. I get stopped at virtually every home game with someone asking where I got a shirt or hat or pullover or jacket or shorts...well, you get the picture.

JayLarson said:

the Griz script and field logo are a bit plain, but at least they don't suck. ask most MSU fans how they feel about the new bearded kitty logo or the awkward 'M' and many will tell you they would rather have kept the continuity of the old logo. switching logos too often can make your brand more convoluted than exciting.

i can't seem to find a picture of the old Cats logo, it looked kind of like ISU's. way cooler. we already have the copper and gold colors as throwback...not sure we need to mix things up further.

in brand loyalty is what marketing is all about,,,companies spend a big portion of their budget to develop this loyalty and we have it in spades with the girz script....if one wants to compliment that with a griz paw, seems reasonable...look at Tulsa and ole miss, even if you know nothing about those teams their logo is a gold standard....be careful what you wish for...

kemajic said:
This is way down the list of what the Griz need.
This! ^
If any changes need to be made, its the coaching personnel and defensive issues. Logos are the last thing on my mind right now.

JayLarson said:
At least the Cats have a logo of a Cat. The Griz need a logo of something associated with a Grizzly.
Went to a movie last week, "NEBRASKA", very popular movie, here, and featured prominently in one very long scene, and not to be missed, was the logo of MSU....of course, the only way I would have known that was seeing it so often on Egriz..

JayLarson said:
At least the Cats have a logo of a Cat. The Griz need a logo of something associated with a Grizzly.

So does Montana. It's used in the center of the field at WaGriz.

And in my mind, changes like these are made out if desperation. I LOVE both the UM, which is different than any other "M" university, and the Griz script. Both are unique and powerful brands. Msu changed because their M was meaningless, and easily confused with Michigan.

This is the stupidest thread on egriz. You don't change logos all the time. Pride and tradition. The um will not change logos because it would cost a bunch and it would not improve marketing. I have griz gear with the paw, the um, the griz script, the bear logo, and the shitty cartoon bear logo. Idk what your even talking an about being plain.

The logos we have are just fine, and they are iconic. You see our logos and you know without a doubt that they belong to the Griz. Don't fix what isn't broken.

get'em_griz said:
The logos we have are just fine, and they are iconic. You see our logos and you know without a doubt that they belong to the Griz. Don't fix what isn't broken.
+1

Pride and tradition and not changing things from a university that switched their team colors in the 90s? It is time for a little shake up of things, you can't get by on the tradition forever as we are starting to learn. I am all for pride and tradition but if nothing ever changes then complacency sets in, and maybe that is why there is not the big Monte entrance anymore and the lack of people standing up and yelling during games.

JayLarson said:
Pride and tradition and not changing things from a university that switched back to their team colors in the 90s? It is time for a little shake up of things, you can't get by on the tradition forever as we are starting to learn. I am all for pride and tradition but if nothing ever changes then complacency sets in, and maybe that is why there is not the big Monte entrance anymore and the lack of people standing up and yelling during games.
Fixed it for you.

JayLarson said:
Pride and tradition and not changing things from a university that switched their team colors in the 90s? It is time for a little shake up of things, you can't get by on the tradition forever as we are starting to learn. I am all for pride and tradition but if nothing ever changes then complacency sets in, and maybe that is why there is not the big Monte entrance anymore and the lack of people standing up and yelling during games.
No, UM returned to what were the traditional colors from the strange Texas orange and piss yellow that Swarthout introduced.

Latest posts

Back