• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Shovel Pass vs Shuttle Pass vs Shuffle Pass

TheBud

OK, I'm bored. However, it is time to straighten something out on this board. :rant:

A SHOVEL PASS is a very short forward pass usually to a receiver who is still in the offensive backfield and moving sideways. (Imagine using your hands like a shovel to pass the ball.)

A SHUTTLE PASS is what happens when a dumbass Quarterback is falling backward (due to tripping, sacks, etc.), but instead of trying to hang on to the ball, he launches it straight up in the air like the flipping Space Shuttle - only to be caught by the Defense.

A SHUFFLE PASS is where a dumbass receiver is paying more attention to the music - doing dance steps to look cool - instead of trying to catch the damn ball.

Writing about football using the words SHUTTLE PASS and SHUFFLE PASS is what happens when a dumbass poster doesn't know what a SHOVEL PASS is - and they are trying to sound like they know what they are talking about.
:loser:

There. Thank you.

(By the way, I haven't used SHUTTLE PASS and SHUFFLE PASS before, have I? Because I would now be embarrassed.) :blush:

TheBud said:
OK, I'm bored. However, it is time to straighten something out on this board. :rant: ...........

Bud,
Bugged by the evolution (corruption) of the english language?

Frequent misuse of common terms bothers me too - so much so that I wasted (not "waisted") a couple of hours composing this little goodie as we approached the 2004 NC game. There (not "their" or "they're") were a lot (not "allot") of folks discussing "poles," "seating," and "births" (it drove me crazy).
I don't think many understood that the blue text indicated hyperlinks.

Some links may now be dead (2 years old).
Most should be active though.

Playoff palaver

As the mighty Griz march toward another national championship, many a conversation is likely to center around seeding, polls, playoff berths, and game sites. The consensus, I’m sure, is that in order to assure ourselves of a berth, we must dominate our opponents of the final two weeks. Only by a dominant performance can we ensure that, if not seeded, as a top 4 team, we will at least be a shoo-in for one, if not two, home games.
Playoff sites are selected first on seeding, then on other criteria as cited in the NCAA selection guidelines. If we lose either game, we may still get a berth, and a game at home as (to the NCAA) cash is king, and we definitely have that. If you’re entertaining thoughts however, of even a single loss, nip them in the bud. You must maintain the deep-seated faith that no matter who we play – we are better than they are…..that we will not lose. To whet your appetite consider this – no other I-AA program has experienced the consistent success enjoyed by the Griz. GSU has six flags – I couldn't care less.
I am confident that the quality of our program will place upon our pole, as many flags - and more. If perchance we don’t win the trophy this year, you won’t find me running through the streets buck naked, tearing at my hair. But if you think we are incapable of winning in this or any year, well……you've got another think coming.

I await our third national championship with bated breath .

:wink

What IS the proper term?

I've used all three before and I feel like an ignorant cock knocker every time cuz I don't know which is which..

Which is it?

Shuffle, Shuttle or Shovel..

I usually just slur it so it sounds so much like all three combined that those that are listening can draw their own conclusions...

I think the original was "shovel" as it was first and underhanded pass that resembled the action of tossing dirt off a shovel.

GoodGodGriz said:
What IS the proper term?

I've used all three before and I feel like an ignorant cock knocker every time cuz I don't know which is which..

Which is it?

I usually just slur it so it sounds so much like all three combined that those that are listening can draw their own conclusions...

Shovel, originally, and properly - however, the language changes and common misuse becomes accepted ("couldn't care less" vs "could care less").

Still bugs me!

GoodGodGriz said:
What IS the proper term?

Which is it?

Are you sure that's the reason you slur it?? :thumb:

And I think the proper term is "shovel" pass.. that's how I've always heard it, and that's how I hear it called on TV on the rare occasion it is run in a game.

Tailbone said:
TheBud said:
OK, I'm bored. However, it is time to straighten something out on this board. :rant: ...........

Bud,
Bugged by the evolution (corruption) of the English language?

The problem with the use of "shuffle pass" and "shuttle pass" is that it is not evolution. They are just plain wrong terms.

GoodGodGriz said:
What IS the proper term?

Which is it?

The proper term is "shovel pass". The sports media always use "shovel pass". However, on very rare occasions (meaning it was a mistake), they have used "shuffle pass". "Shuffle pass" and "shuttle pass" only seem to be used on sports forums/message boards by posters/fans or my mistake.

If you do not believe me, Google each of the terms and the word "football" or "football terms" and see what you get. Use quotes for the terms "shovel pass", "shuttle pass", or "shuffle pass", and "football terms" to help a search.

(I am really not this uptight. I just wanted to bring it to everyones' attention. My definitions of "shuttle pass" and "shuffle pass" above were intended to be a joke.)

TheBud said:
OK, I'm bored. However, it is time to straighten something out on this board. :rant:

A SHOVEL PASS is a very short forward pass usually to a receiver who is still in the offensive backfield and moving sideways. (Imagine using your hands like a shovel to pass the ball.)

A SHUTTLE PASS is what happens when a dumbass Quarterback is falling backward (due to tripping, sacks, etc.), but instead of trying to hang on to the ball, he launches it straight up in the air like the flipping Space Shuttle - only to be caught by the Defense.

A SHUFFLE PASS is where a dumbass receiver is paying more attention to the music - doing dance steps to look cool - instead of trying to catch the damn ball.

Writing about football using the words SHUTTLE PASS and SHUFFLE PASS is what happens when a dumbass poster doesn't know what a SHOVEL PASS is - and they are trying to sound like they know what they are talking about.

There. Thank you.

(By the way, I haven't used SHUTTLE PASS and SHUFFLE PASS before, have I? Because I would now be embarrassed.) :blush:

Please don't bring up the Shuffle Pass. I say a prayer everyday that the shuffle pass and the direct snap to the running back, disappear from the playbook.

spsyk said:
TheBud said:

Please don't bring up the Shuffle Pass. I say a prayer everyday that the shuffle pass and the direct snap to the running back, disappear from the playbook.

I rest my case.

spsyk said:
TheBud said:

There. Thank you.

along with people dropping the g from fishing and hunting....I goin fishin

Also can be done to a RB underneath an End that is getting upfield too quickly and takes himself out of the play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKxtkCxErCU

Back