• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Blanchette column/EWU and opinion on NC

Silvertip

John calls it right. Expanded playoffs not popular with everybody - including O'Day

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2010/dec/31/fcs-timing-slips-a-tick-or-two-for-eags/

Silvertip said:
John calls it right. Expanded playoffs not popular with everybody - including O'Day

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2010/dec/31/fcs-timing-slips-a-tick-or-two-for-eags/
This move is of the same quality as Fullerton's move to expand the BSC to 13 teams for FB and 11 for Bball. Wait until you see those schedules. Where do we keep finding this intelligence?

The good old days are gone, aren't they. Remember when the Sugar Bowl was played New Year's Eve? And New Year's Day was the Cotton Bowl, Rose Bowl and the evening Orange Bowl. Notre Dame was always in one of the three sans the Rose Bowl. All the Bowl parades were televised (and not on HGTV). The Fiesta Bowl was invented so Arizona State would have something to play in before moving to the Pac-8. The Gator Bowl, Sun Bowl, Liberty Bowl, and Peach Bowl all had top-20 teams. The All-star games were next with the Blue-Gray Bowl, the East-West Shrine Game, the Hula Bowl and the Senior Bowl. All with importance as the best players in the nation DID show up to play. Now? The "flatulence" of Bowl-overkill and money-grabbing has dented the whole process. But, I'm just one old-schooler who doesn't buy into the change-and-hope. As we've found out, the almighty buck and the manipulation of the FBS and BCS is costing schools (tax-payers) money... but hey, the players get a new $100 iPod that cost 36 cents to make in Hong Kong. So that makes it all good. It's the way of the world now... reward mediocrity, and rationalize by saying... "doesn't it make ya feel good, tho?"

Grizmayor I agree with everything you say. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Funny you should mention the i-pod and other gifts the players receive. I got to talk to the Tcu players and some staff at disneyland earlier this week and they said they got a catalog to choose "gifts" from.
I-pods, x-box, recliners it is just crazy. Why can't they get just a jersey and great experience??

On a side note the TCU head equipment manager was at marshall when Montana played them in 95' and 96'. He was very complimentary of the Griz and the Playoffs.

Correct it is a maximum of $500, but the new fad is the suites. The players more or less get a pre-paid card of $500 and go into the suite and buy what they want until they spent their total.

:cool:

Grizmayor said:
The good old days are gone, aren't they. Remember when the Sugar Bowl was played New Year's Eve? And New Year's Day was the Cotton Bowl, Rose Bowl and the evening Orange Bowl. Notre Dame was always in one of the three sans the Rose Bowl. All the Bowl parades were televised (and not on HGTV). . . Now? The "flatulence" of Bowl-overkill and money-grabbing has dented the whole process.

Really? One person's "money-grabbing" may just be another person's consumer demand being met by free market forces, providing a product to satisfy consumer demand. College football is a consumer driven commodity and that is why the number of bowl games has mushroomed. There is sufficient consumer demand to drive that expansion, and that is what is making room for many lower profile bowl games.

BCS football is a big business. The biggest BCS programs challenge NFL granchises for total revenue streams. The Red River Shootout was close to pulling out of the Cotton Bowl because Texas and Oklahoma had better stadiums with more seating capacity and only due to extraordinary effort by the Cotton Bowl sponsors to expand the stadium were they able to keep the game in Dallas. I don't think the venue of college football is diluted in the slightest. It has grown but the football talent has grown too to fill the void. I am nostalgic for the days that the Packers dominated the first two Super Bowls, but times change. In 1967 there were 3 television networks, and only 2 of them carried NFL football. College football is just growing and expanding in response to a mass market for a country that has grown to over 310 million people.

Back