• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kent Haslam

Engstrom's 2nd good decision on this matter. (Delaney was 1st).

Congratulations to Kent.

Did anyone expect anyone different? This was a typical UM "National Search". Trouble is, it was a Griz Nation search, not a U.S. Nation search.

RE certainly must have a sense of how the NCAA investigation is going. If it were going badly then the LAST thing you would want to do is promote someone who may have been complicit for fear that the NCAA might see that as a continuation of "ruinous policies and/or behaviors" (my words). So I am tempted to conclude that either RE feels he can clearly separate KH from any "wrongdoing" (again my word) or he is quite confident that none will be found. Am I making too big of a leap here?

Growler1 said:
Did anyone expect anyone different? This was a typical UM "National Search". Trouble is, it was a Griz Nation search, not a U.S. Nation search.
Then one would think It should work out Great for Griz Nation, if you actually believed you were part of Griz Nation that is.

My congratulations also. I have had the oppurtunity to work with him and he is first class. What upsets me the most is President Engstrom said when he fired Jim & Robin the program needed a new direction. Since than he has hired ahead coach from the old regiem and a AD from inside. This is a real slam on Robin and Jim. This still leaves me wondering even more.

Kent rose to the top and showed that he was the best choice for our next AD.

Yesterday a hiring committee member said in a group that they could not disclose the recommendation at all. They did say that throughout the process a clear choice rose to the top and heavily impressed the whole group and that was the choice they recommended. That was all they said, they did not say the choice/recommendation was Kent. However, I'd bet it was Kent, and I'm glad that President Engstrom made this hire.

And as someone who posts on here told me, when Kent was hired here 5 years ago some people grumbled about the hire then because he was an outsider... now it's because he's an insider. I guess sometimes a guy just can't win.

I'm of the belief that you hire the best person for the job and I don't care if it's internal or external.

Many people's greatest fear was that R.E. would NOT name Kent. This is a very good day for Griz Nation. We can't change where we have been but Kent was really the only good choice. With all the damage Engstrom has done, Kent can bring continuity, integrity (which we already had with Jim) and domain knowledge of the program and the conference.

The sad truth though is that we got a good result ultimately against Engstrom's wishes. Dont think for a minute that he hasn't heard the overwhelming din risins for his head to be on the chopping block. He made the right call ultimately to save his own position.

This is a great day considering where we are but the focus and the spotlight should remain on R.E. because he will work hard to find a way to undermine Kent's new Dept. Keep shining the light and don't let him do it!

Bear Axed said:
Growler1 said:
Then one would think It should work out Great for Griz Nation, if you actually believed you were part of Griz Nation that is.

I am much more a part of it that you are. You embarrass Griz Nation routinely with your childish obsession with the Bobcats.

I am just glad I once again have an opposite opinion of groaner1. Congrats Kent and good luck. You have huge shoes to fill. Jim O'day was a great AD.

BWahlberg said:

Yesterday a hiring committee member said in a group that they could not disclose the recommendation at all. They did say that throughout the process a clear choice rose to the top and heavily impressed the whole group and that was the choice they recommended. That was all they said, they did not say the choice/recommendation was Kent. However, I'd bet it was Kent, and I'm glad that President Engstrom made this hire.

And as someone who posts on here told me, when Kent was hired here 5 years ago some people grumbled about the hire then because he was an outsider... now it's because he's an insider. I guess sometimes a guy just can't win.

I'm of the belief that you hire the best person for the job and I don't care if it's internal or external.

Big surprise G1, which is what I now call me morning movement each day, is unhappy with the choice. If you would check him out I think you would find that he isn't a true insider, but has some great expirence and will help get us out of the hole we have been in since all of the other crap has come down. He is not from here but has created relationships with boosters that will bode well in the future. We have had such luck with national searches in the past (Hogan) and I am very happy that Kent has gotten the job.

...montana needed a guy...
...that know'z montana...
...haslam waz that guy...
...congratulationz kent...

... :cool: ..

BWahlberg said:

"Kent rose to the top"? We heard the same exact comments when Hauck and O'Day were hired. Not too hard to "rise to the top" when you have intimate knowledge of the program, and all other candidates do not. That doesn't mean he would be the best hire. Look at O'Day and Hauck. They are the PRIMARY REASONS that our program is in the mess that it is in. Yet, the both "rose to the top" during the interview process.

If for no other reason than to see G1 have a cow...

I am happy with this. :thumb:

Ok, ok... I would have been regardless.

But I love icing on my cake. :D

"Kent rose to the top"? We heard the same exact comments when Hauck and O'Day were hired. Not too hard to "rise to the top" when you have intimate knowledge of the program, and all other candidates do not. That doesn't mean he would be the best hire. Look at O'Day and Hauck. They are the PRIMARY REASONS that our program is in the mess that it is in. Yet, the both "rose to the top" during the interview process.[/quote]

Your are making connections that don't exisit. Granted that Bobby left the Griz program just as he did every other program he left, in hot water with the NCAA. However, aside from the current issues, which I question anybody who says they have evidence linking O'Day to it, Jim had Grizzly Athletics in the best position it has been in decades. He came in at a time with a huge issue regarding Hogan's money mess, cleaned it up early and moved all program forward. What exactly did Jim do in your eyes that hurt the University so badly? How is Jim O'Day the "Primary Reason"?

Back