National letter of intent signing day

Grizzly Basketball and Big Sky Conference Hoops
Post Reply
flatheadgriz406
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:01 am

National letter of intent signing day

Post by flatheadgriz406 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:08 am

I'm confused. So you have a deadline but can still sign after the deadline ... https://twitter.com/NLIinsider/status/9 ... 9394817026

717s7e
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: National letter of intent signing day

Post by 717s7e » Mon May 14, 2018 9:46 am

Am I right in my assumption that a NLI is binding on both the athlete and the U, but an athletic aid agreement signed after May 16 binds only the U?

Bengal visitor
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: National letter of intent signing day

Post by Bengal visitor » Tue May 15, 2018 7:47 am

717s7e wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:46 am
Am I right in my assumption that a NLI is binding on both the athlete and the U, but an athletic aid agreement signed after May 16 binds only the U?
That is correct.

citay
Posts: 1635
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:07 pm

Re: National letter of intent signing day

Post by citay » Tue May 15, 2018 9:09 am

Here's my speculation.
We're on to some very good kids, such as the one that just signed with UCLA. I have a hunch some of those kids are still waiting to hear from bigger programs, and their decisions will come down to the last minute. A real game of musical chairs, and hence the agonizing wait for any news.

maroonandsilver
eGriz Club
Posts: 1464
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:25 am

Re: National letter of intent signing day

Post by maroonandsilver » Tue May 15, 2018 9:30 am

citay wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:09 am
Here's my speculation.
We're on to some very good kids, such as the one that just signed with UCLA. I have a hunch some of those kids are still waiting to hear from bigger programs, and their decisions will come down to the last minute. A real game of musical chairs, and hence the agonizing wait for any news.
I remember when Idaho State had their great teams in the late 1970's, with Steve Hayes, Jeff Cook. Beat UCLA in the NCAA Tourney. They thought they had arrived. They went up against the big boys for recruits and got NOBODY. They havn't had even good basketball since. ('course they havn't had a coach like Killer since then either!).

717s7e
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: National letter of intent signing day

Post by 717s7e » Tue May 15, 2018 9:34 am

Of course a player can wait until after the Wednesday signing date, but if so, why is there even a last day to sign? I have spent at least half an hour researching National Letter of Intent web sites and none that I could find say anything about signing after the signing date. Did someone here say that signing after the signing date means that the institution is bound but the student is not?? It seems to make no sense to have an ending date of May 16th for signing, does it??

flatheadgriz406
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:01 am

Re: National letter of intent signing day

Post by flatheadgriz406 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:34 am

citay wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:09 am
Here's my speculation.
We're on to some very good kids, such as the one that just signed with UCLA. I have a hunch some of those kids are still waiting to hear from bigger programs, and their decisions will come down to the last minute. A real game of musical chairs, and hence the agonizing wait for any news.
That is exactly what I have heard. Agonizing is an understatement!!

User avatar
GrizWhiz
Posts: 3264
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2002 5:00 pm

Re: National letter of intent signing day

Post by GrizWhiz » Tue May 15, 2018 9:45 am

Is there an ending time (e.g. 5:00 p.m.) for the signing period tomorrow? Also, how does this deadline affect potential transfers?

Bengal visitor
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: National letter of intent signing day

Post by Bengal visitor » Tue May 15, 2018 12:31 pm

717s7e wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:34 am
Of course a player can wait until after the Wednesday signing date, but if so, why is there even a last day to sign? I have spent at least half an hour researching National Letter of Intent web sites and none that I could find say anything about signing after the signing date. Did someone here say that signing after the signing date means that the institution is bound but the student is not?? It seems to make no sense to have an ending date of May 16th for signing, does it??
The letter of intent program is a voluntary one that is not administered by the NCAA. The LOI binds the player to the school for at least a year. If a player signs after the LOI period, they sign a scholarship agreement with the school. That binds the school to provide a scholarship for at least a year. It does NOT bind the player to the school until they attend the first day of classes.

maroonandsilver
eGriz Club
Posts: 1464
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:25 am

Re: National letter of intent signing day

Post by maroonandsilver » Wed May 16, 2018 8:34 am

citay wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:09 am
Here's my speculation.
We're on to some very good kids, such as the one that just signed with UCLA. I have a hunch some of those kids are still waiting to hear from bigger programs, and their decisions will come down to the last minute. A real game of musical chairs, and hence the agonizing wait for any news.
Your speculation is from a glass half-full view.

A glass half-empty view would be that the Griz are waiting to pick up the scraps, the leftovers from the bigger programs. The Griz will be the second, third, fourth, choice of these kids. And will these recruits come in with ready-made attitude issues, like Karl Nicholas and Alphonso Anderson?

AZDoc
Posts: 3606
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:00 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: National letter of intent signing day

Post by AZDoc » Wed May 16, 2018 1:06 pm

maroonandsilver wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:34 am
citay wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:09 am
Here's my speculation.
We're on to some very good kids, such as the one that just signed with UCLA. I have a hunch some of those kids are still waiting to hear from bigger programs, and their decisions will come down to the last minute. A real game of musical chairs, and hence the agonizing wait for any news.
Your speculation is from a glass half-full view.

A glass half-empty view would be that the Griz are waiting to pick up the scraps, the leftovers from the bigger programs. The Griz will be the second, third, fourth, choice of these kids. And will these recruits come in with ready-made attitude issues, like Karl Nicholas and Alphonso Anderson?
Or hopefully a chip on their shoulder!
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool-Bill Shakespeare
What a Fool Believes-The Doobie Brothers

mtgrizrule
Posts: 19427
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Missoula/Denver

Re: National letter of intent signing day

Post by mtgrizrule » Wed May 16, 2018 3:09 pm

The anticipation of who the new additions will be, is frustrating.

Is it me, or has this staff been better at keeping news, updates, information, etc in house? Just seems like, rather it be basketball or football, getting legitimate accurate information in advance is much more difficult than it was just a few years ago.

Here is to hoping that Coach DeCuire has a few nice surprises for GRIZ NATION.
Thank you all. God Bless every soldier fighting for our country!!!!
Health issues, major and minor...increase the productivity of your NRF1 and NRF2. Here is my business website to see the products. http://rbidwell.lifevantage.com/

dayday
eGriz Club
Posts: 1320
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:32 pm

Re: National letter of intent signing day

Post by dayday » Thu May 17, 2018 4:11 am

mtgrizrule wrote:The anticipation of who the new additions will be, is frustrating.

Is it me, or has this staff been better at keeping news, updates, information, etc in house? Just seems like, rather it be basketball or football, getting legitimate accurate information in advance is much more difficult than it was just a few years ago.

Here is to hoping that Coach DeCuire has a few nice surprises for GRIZ NATION.
I wouldn’t be surprised if they come out of Spring with just Eddy Egun. We might pick up a prep player last minute from Cali but seems like we got burned by two transfers which kind of set us back with the recruiting. I could be wrong but seems to be heading that way. I suppose it gives us a one or two more schollies to offer up this summer on the AAU circuit when recruiting is very important for high school kids.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtgrizfankb
Posts: 2385
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:05 pm

Re: National letter of intent signing day

Post by mtgrizfankb » Thu May 17, 2018 8:25 am

dayday wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 4:11 am
mtgrizrule wrote:The anticipation of who the new additions will be, is frustrating.

Is it me, or has this staff been better at keeping news, updates, information, etc in house? Just seems like, rather it be basketball or football, getting legitimate accurate information in advance is much more difficult than it was just a few years ago.

Here is to hoping that Coach DeCuire has a few nice surprises for GRIZ NATION.
I wouldn’t be surprised if they come out of Spring with just Eddy Egun. We might pick up a prep player last minute from Cali but seems like we got burned by two transfers which kind of set us back with the recruiting. I could be wrong but seems to be heading that way. I suppose it gives us a one or two more schollies to offer up this summer on the AAU circuit when recruiting is very important for high school kids.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man I hope not. That would mean playing 4-1 basketball all the time. Jones is not a BSC player that can get decent minutes. He seems way to raw unless he became a miracle. We couldn’t even play much 5-5 in practice. Bad news man, bad news
Griz Nation. Loud Proud and Maroon.

User avatar
Grizfan-24
Posts: 1751
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: On the beach. San Diego.

Re: National letter of intent signing day

Post by Grizfan-24 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:39 am

Just to reiterate, they can still sign guys all the way up until school starts. Just not a letter of intent, it would be an admission and aid agreement.

I think we’ll hear something in the next few weeks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedestrian Football analysis found here:
www.maroonbloodblog.com

Older pedestrian football analysis found here:
www.monidasports.blogspot.com

Full of double speak and clearly I have never played the game. Two thousand words where 10 would suffice.

Post Reply