Gage Smith - concussions, anxiety, and depression

Get the low down on Griz Football and the FCS
HookedonGriz
eGriz Club

Gage Smith - concussions, anxiety, and depression

Post by HookedonGriz » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:48 am

Best of luck to this young man. Talking openly about this topic is not easy, nor was walking away from the game and team he loved. Griz Nation supports you Gage!

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky- ... 675ec.html

AZGrizFan
eGriz Club

Re: Gage Smith - concussions, anxiety, and depression

Post by AZGrizFan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:58 am

Damn. Him AND Carder Key....that really sucks for these guys...
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.

Paytonlives

Post by Paytonlives » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:05 am

Back when I was at UM I had a class with Scott Werblow (sp) UM QB and after a concussion on Saturday. He introduced himself to me three days in a row at the class that we sat next to each other for three weeks prior to the concussion.

Nothing to mess with at all.

I wish them both the best
Bobby Hauck 2008 (After beating the kittens)

"I wish there were 5 quarters in this game, so we could kick their asses some more!"

bgbigdog
eGriz Club

Post by bgbigdog » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:14 am

When one door closes, another one opens. Get your education & on with all that’s ahead. Best of luck Gage.
“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.” Groucho Marx.

Dutch Lane
eGriz Club

Post by Dutch Lane » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:07 pm

Nice article. Sound decision, what a great griz walk on. Thanks gage smith. :clap:

Gaeilge1

Post by Gaeilge1 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:42 pm

Good for you Gage! I'm sure this was not an easy decision for you. But it was clearly the right one and I'm certain all of your teammates will feel the same way.

Good luck to you and may your future be healthy and rewarding in all aspects of life!

Zirg

Post by Zirg » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:51 pm

Paytonlives wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:05 am
Back when I was at UM I had a class with Scott Werblow (sp) UM QB and after a concussion on Saturday. He introduced himself to me three days in a row at the class that we sat next to each other for three weeks prior to the concussion.

Scott Werbelow or Scott Waak? I barely remember Werbelow and I don't know his story at all, but Scott Waak took THE biggest hit in Grizzly history, Period! I've never seen anyone hit so hard in my life. The stadium gasped at the hit and went instantly silent. I, literally, thought he might be dead. He never played another down of football and I wonder how he is today.

indian-outlaw

Post by indian-outlaw » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:51 am

Who was the griz player that took the wallop against Washington State on the opening kickoff? I believe it was in the mid 90s. He got a concession and never again stepped foot on a football field as a player. Hardest hit I've ever seen.
"If you get to thinking' you're a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around" Will Rogers

alabamagrizzly

Post by alabamagrizzly » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:35 am

Zirg wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:51 pm
Paytonlives wrote:

Scott Werbelow or Scott Waak? I barely remember Werbelow and I don't know his story at all, but Scott Waak took THE biggest hit in Grizzly history, Period! I've never seen anyone hit so hard in my life. The stadium gasped at the hit and went instantly silent. I, literally, thought he might be dead. He never played another down of football and I wonder how he is today.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scott-waak-2304979/
"In Bill's(Wild Bill Kelly) tragic death there might be some message for the college society that basks in the glory of the football team and the individual heroes, but overlooks the fact that they are like the rest of us with conflicts, fears, frustrations, and weakness."-Joseph Cochran, friend of Kelly's

maroon

Post by maroon » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:42 am

indian-outlaw wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:51 am
Who was the griz player that took the wallop against Washington State on the opening kickoff? I believe it was in the mid 90s. He got a concession and never again stepped foot on a football field as a player. Hardest hit I've ever seen.
Scott Spraggins.

Paytonlives

Post by Paytonlives » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:05 am

Zirg wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:51 pm
Paytonlives wrote:

Yes waak. Moment of oldmanitis.

I remember the coach saying on Wednesday that he was “probably be back” in a few weeks

WTH. Glad they are much better with concussions now.

"I wish there were 5 quarters in this game, so we could kick their asses some more!"

Paytonlives

Post by Paytonlives » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:06 am

maroon wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:42 am
indian-outlaw wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:51 am
Scott Spraggins.
I honestly thought he was dead...

Hells bells
eGriz Club

Post by Hells bells » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:37 am

Anyone's well being is bigger then Cat/Griz.
I wish him luck in his future endeavors. This must have been a hard decision for him
That must have been hell for him to go through.
This space for rent

reinell30
eGriz Club

Post by reinell30 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:43 am

Nothing sucks more than having to give up what you love, especially when it isn't on your own free will.
Good luck young man there are always other opportunities in life!