• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Meanwhile over in Bozo...

66volvo

Fans are just downright delirious over their slim win over an 8th ranked MVC team. Just delirious. I hope Troy Anderson, a terrific athlete, can continue to carry the team on his back all the way to November so that we can actually put him on his back. Woe to the Cats if he is ever injured because I saw little else in their tank other than him. A real one trick pony team.

8th ranked? They were only ranked 7th in their conference. The ESPN coaches pole has them at about 37th with 3 votes.
The 8th ranked team is Weber, another W team. I can see where the confusion could come from.

Maybe the cats just thought they were an 8th ranked team and that explains the over jubilation and joyousness.

Not trying to be a jerk to you. Just pointing out a possible error.

My good cats buds are much more realistic. They are now extremely nervous about their offense and how awful it was. They weren’t overly impressed with WIU and now are worried when they play tougher competition.

In the weekly picks I picked Bozo to win. I was just surprised it was only by a few points.

Yikes. Might be a looooooooong season for them. And I don't mean playoff long.

Anderson is fun to watch but it's pretty obvious after only one game what his limitations are. They no longer have that advantage.

66volvo said:
Fans are just downright delirious over their slim win over an 8th ranked MVC team. Just delirious. I hope Troy Anderson, a terrific athlete, can continue to carry the team on his back all the way to November so that we can actually put him on his back. Woe to the Cats if he is ever injured because I saw little else in their tank other than him. A real one trick pony team.

This is simply not true. I was at the game and literally nobody is "delirious" by any means. Cats showed us some great defense and a suspect offense (which hopefully can improve throughout the season). We did win a close game against a quality opponent. If your not excited about that outcome you simply are not a fan. I hope the griz rep the big sky and win both MVFC match ups. However, you are delirious if you think your not in for a dogfight with this "8th ranked MVFC team".

Another little brother thread from you guys. Man times have changed.

Anyway, ND beat a MV seller dweller in the pillow fight, and we won the battle of mid range. Hopefully you guys can earn the BS another win in the battle of the overrated.

Edit: ND didn't play a MV team. Doubt Poly wins, so you guys need to for the BS to win wk 1.

66volvo said:

I don't know where you get that all Cat fans were delirious. Yes, happy to win but not delirious. I think they will clean up the offense this week and will be much improved next week. Now that Troy has a game under his belt, I think we will see rapid improvement from him. If you think he is all we have in the tank on offense , you are wrong. Defense and special teams played very well. Liked that the Cats had only a couple of penalties in total. That is very good for a first game. Still optimistic!

Will be fun watching the Griz game Saturday.

Most of the cat fans I have talked to today (unfortunately work with a few) said the offense was horrible and they were glad for the win but a little worried. They seemed pretty grounded now. Of course the same guys last week were going on about how Troy Anderson was going to tear it up as the top QB in the sky :lol:

As others have said, I don’t know of a single Cat fan that is delirious over this performance. Think you’re grasping at straws there trying to paint a picture of this fanbase thinking they’ve arrived 1 game into the season.

Happy with the win? Of course. Good win over a quality opponent in the type of game that they’ve lost during the last couple of years.

But the flaws are real. The defense is good and will carry this team. If the offense that played the first half shows up more often than not, they’re in trouble. If the offense that played in the second half shows up more often than not, they’ll be solid. Andersen will get better getting a couple games under his belt but he has his limitations as a qb.

We’ll see how the Griz do against this same team in a couple of weeks. If they win and win in a more convincing fashion, I’ll be impressed. I suspect they’ll have all they can handle from WIU though. It’s definitely a good measuring stick for the two conferences in these first few weeks of the season.

Catsrgrood said:
As others have said, I don’t know of a single Cat fan that is delirious over this performance. Think you’re grasping at straws there trying to paint a picture of this fanbase thinking they’ve arrived 1 game into the season.

Happy with the win? Of course. Good win over a quality opponent in the type of game that they’ve lost during the last couple of years.

But the flaws are real. The defense is good and will carry this team. If the offense that played the first half shows up more often than not, they’re in trouble. If the offense that played in the second half shows up more often than not, they’ll be solid. Andersen will get better getting a couple games under his belt but he has his limitations as a qb.

We’ll see how the Griz do against this same team in a couple of weeks. If they win and win in a more convincing fashion, I’ll be impressed. I suspect they’ll have all they can handle from WIU though. It’s definitely a good measuring stick for the two conferences in these first few weeks of the season.

I’m still surprised you’d say that. I personally didn’t think their offense looked much better in the 2nd half. I guess they got about 150 yards as opposed to the 89 they had at half, but that still isn’t good. Where they capitalized the most was special teams (FG and punt returns) and field position (mainly due to special teams). But it wasn’t like their offense in the second half was dominant or even mediocre in my opinion.

Catsrgrood said:

Cats won and played a good 2nd half. The late first INT followed by long FG was huge. WIU should have sat on their 10 point lead to end the half.

Glad Cat fans didn't have to tee up the refs' possible missed call on the one WIU TD. That call was going to be the scapegoat....but they didn't need it....but they were ready to use it!!

Cats had very few penalties in the game outside of the taunting call (were there any more?). Holding call on WIU receiver that was behind the play when called turn into a huge one against them. WIU is a pretty good team. Griz will be very happy if they can beat them on the road.

HookedonGriz said:
Catsrgrood said:

I’m still surprised you’d say that. I personally didn’t think their offense looked much better in the 2nd half. I guess they got about 150 yards as opposed to the 89 they had at half, but that still isn’t good. Where they capitalized the most was special teams (FG and punt returns) and field position (mainly due to special teams). But it wasn’t like their offense in the second half was dominant or even mediocre in my opinion.

No, It wasn’t night and day difference between the two halves, but there were instances where you could see what they could do in the second half, whereas the first half? that was just ugly, plain and simple. The first drive of the 2nd half was beautiful, then they didn’t really look like that again. But for the rest of the 2nd half I still feel like they looked better than the 1st half.
Andersen calmed down a bit and looked better, he was something like 11/16 in the 2nd half.
I think he gets better each game, makes his reads and they find a way to get some of their playmakers the ball.

All in all, football is back, Cats are 1-0 against a quality team and it’s a 3 day weekend, you won’t be hearing any complaints from me. :thumb:

The Cats offense was horrible the whole game except one drive to start the second half. If they didn't have a kid that kicks 50 yard field goals they would have lost by 12 or more. I'm not sure how they can be optimistic about their D. It was totally shredded on the edges by a mid FCS team that exposed the lack of D speed with several different looks. Anderson is a decent runner and a great athlete but he will not last three more games if he has to carry the team like he did. Cat's suck.

Cat offense is predictable. Anderson is a great runner, and can handle most short throws, but all of his longer throws were up-for-grabs. We should play tight coverage in our secondary against him. I thought the Cat defense played well, and #37, a UDUB drop-down, is a force. They played without their all-conference nose tackle, who was suspended, yet did well in shutting down the WIU running game without him. Griz fans should not be too cocky about this close win against WIU, because you may have to eat your words when we play them.

I agree with some of the comments about the poor coaching decisions from the new WIU head coach. He basically abandoned the running game in the second half, and their QB is not a very accurate passer.

Back