not out-coached

Get the low down on Griz Football and the FCS
argh!
eGriz Club
Posts: 6973
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:20 pm

not out-coached

Post by argh! » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 pm

just outplayed, really. also, you may laugh, but their team having a shaded area to stand on the sideline might have helped a little bit, just like montana having the warm sun and the other team shade during the winter at home might help a bit.

but my point is that the team was mostly ouplayed, in my view, not particularly out-coached. note i didn't say the coaching was great, overall.

PlayerRep
Posts: 22112
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: not out-coached

Post by PlayerRep » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:59 pm

I agree and I don't think UM was outplayed by much if at all. 4 turnovers, to 1. The late punt return allowed. UM should have won the game, but credit WI for continuing to play hard and playing very tough at the end. I never thought the Griz were some great team, and they aren't. Have good potential. Work in progress.

Eriul
eGriz Club
Posts: 1765
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: not out-coached

Post by Eriul » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:09 pm

Funny thing... I think in 2 of our 3 games the better team has lost...

User avatar
uofmman1122
eGriz Club
Posts: 3456
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:13 pm
Location: Missoula

Re: not out-coached

Post by uofmman1122 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:10 pm

Eriul wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:09 pm
Funny thing... I think in 2 of our 3 games the better team has lost...
Can't argue too much against that.

User avatar
cclarkblues
Moderator
Posts: 6702
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: The flatlands - Blgs

Re: not out-coached

Post by cclarkblues » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:16 pm

argh! wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 pm
just outplayed, really. also, you may laugh, but their team having a shaded area to stand on the sideline might have helped a little bit, just like montana having the warm sun and the other team shade during the winter at home might help a bit.

but my point is that the team was mostly ouplayed, in my view, not particularly out-coached. note i didn't say the coaching was great, overall.
Totally agree. WTF am I saying?
The Dude Abides

User avatar
IdaGriz01
Posts: 7794
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: Idaho Falls

Re: not out-coached

Post by IdaGriz01 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:26 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:59 pm
I agree and I don't think UM was outplayed by much if at all. 4 turnovers, to 1. The late punt return allowed. UM should have won the game, but credit WI for continuing to play hard and playing very tough at the end. I never thought the Griz were some great team, and they aren't. Have good potential. Work in progress.
+1

Am I disappointed? Of course. But let's get real. Just to start with, the Griz have a new coach. And don't tell me about his previous tenure at UM -- on average, his players were in elementary school when Hauck was here before.

So there's a new coach with a new system and lots of turnover on the roster (as discussed interminably). Sure, they had two games under their belts. Now they go on the road for the first time, get down by two quick scores, yet they fought back. Despite the many miscues (penalties, etc.), they lost by just 4 points. It's not like Armageddon, the "End Times," or whatever. To call that an "epic fail" is more than a bit over the top.

They will learn from this, in so many ways. Also, while we can't be sure right now, I suspect that WIU will be a better team than anyone has predicted. (Maybe not a playoff team, but competitive.)

zengriz
eGriz Club
Posts: 3320
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:35 pm
Location: way out west

Re: not out-coached

Post by zengriz » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:30 pm

...you take what you got...
...you put them in a position to win the game...
...yuge bobby guy..bobby didn't put them in the position...

... :shock: ...

User avatar
indian-outlaw
Posts: 2192
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:56 am
Location: Portland OR

Re: not out-coached

Post by indian-outlaw » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:46 pm

Eriul wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:09 pm
Funny thing... I think in 2 of our 3 games the better team has lost...
I think I agree with you here.
"If you get to thinking' you're a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around" Will Rogers

Diesel
Posts: 809
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:17 pm

Re: not out-coached

Post by Diesel » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:17 pm

I’m sure JLM and Bingham(hope his injury isn’t as bad as it looked) will take care of the ball better
Hope coaches put Lee in short run situations
Trying to understand how Defense gives up 350+ yards and 3 TDs in the air and D-Line cannot get pressure without blitzing and blitzing isn’t working (second half had glimpses of hope for Defense)
Hope pass coverage returns next week against Sac St

User avatar
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club
Posts: 21968
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Texas

Re: not out-coached

Post by AZGrizFan » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:11 pm

We were the better team (by far) for 52 of the 60 minutes. Just not the first two minutes or the last six.
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.

griz4life
eGriz Club
Posts: 5876
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:41 pm

Re: not out-coached

Post by griz4life » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:55 pm

Many little mistakes. Too many penalties. Those things will be cleared up, because minimizing risk/error is what Bobby Hauck does best.
Yes the punt return for touchdown and the fumble were glaring errors, but there were many smaller errors throughout the game that, if cleaned up, keep the Griz offense on the field, keep the Griz in control and keep the game out of reach for WIU.
It's going to be OK.
"I kept waiting for a smirk, but instead he recalled how many countless hours he spent making sure I stayed out of trouble and how tough it was to keep me on the path to success.
"We would do anything for him.He was our leader and we would go anywhere he took us--It just so happened to be Huntington, West Virginia, and our school's first national championship," Dave Dickenson.

GrizLA
Posts: 7303
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:10 pm

Re: not out-coached

Post by GrizLA » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:35 am

So much praise for the coaching staff that just lost a game they should have won. Had this coach been Stitt, he'd be castigated for days and fired. The two coaches resembled each other today.

HookedonGriz
eGriz Club
Posts: 5849
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: not out-coached

Post by HookedonGriz » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:50 am

GrizLA wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:35 am
So much praise for the coaching staff that just lost a game they should have won. Had this coach been Stitt, he'd be castigated for days and fired. The two coaches resembled each other today.
Hammer meet nail. Agree.

'68griz
Posts: 9991
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:52 pm
Location: Missoula

Re: not out-coached

Post by '68griz » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:02 am

HookedonGriz wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:50 am
GrizLA wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:35 am
So much praise for the coaching staff that just lost a game they should have won. Had this coach been Stitt, he'd be castigated for days and fired. The two coaches resembled each other today.
Hammer meet nail. Agree.
+1

argh!
eGriz Club
Posts: 6973
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:20 pm

Re: not out-coached

Post by argh! » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:05 am

'68griz wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:02 am
HookedonGriz wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:50 am
GrizLA wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:35 am
So much praise for the coaching staff that just lost a game they should have won. Had this coach been Stitt, he'd be castigated for days and fired. The two coaches resembled each other today.
Hammer meet nail. Agree.
+1
hope you didn't read my comment as praising the coaching. don't think their in-game effort resulted in the loss, though.

User avatar
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club
Posts: 21968
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Texas

Re: not out-coached

Post by AZGrizFan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:13 pm

argh! wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:05 am
'68griz wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:02 am
HookedonGriz wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:50 am
GrizLA wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:35 am
So much praise for the coaching staff that just lost a game they should have won. Had this coach been Stitt, he'd be castigated for days and fired. The two coaches resembled each other today.
Hammer meet nail. Agree.
+1
hope you didn't read my comment as praising the coaching. don't think their in-game effort resulted in the loss, though.
Coaching staff made two mistakes on the same play.

A) should have taken the points and gone for the FG
B) Once they decide not to do THAT, should have called literally ANY other play than the one they did
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.

argh!
eGriz Club
Posts: 6973
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:20 pm

Re: not out-coached

Post by argh! » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:22 pm

AZGrizFan wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:13 pm
argh! wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:05 am
'68griz wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:02 am
HookedonGriz wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:50 am


Hammer meet nail. Agree.
+1
hope you didn't read my comment as praising the coaching. don't think their in-game effort resulted in the loss, though.
Coaching staff made two mistakes on the same play.

A) should have taken the points and gone for the FG
B) Once they decide not to do THAT, should have called literally ANY other play than the one they did
and more, but i thought, not counting the first two, players were in pretty good position to make plays most of the time. better than the last couple games. there is a lot more to coaching than that, though, i know.

totally agree with the fg and 4th down comments.

PlayerRep
Posts: 22112
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: not out-coached

Post by PlayerRep » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:56 pm

AZGrizFan wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:13 pm
argh! wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:05 am
'68griz wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:02 am
HookedonGriz wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:50 am


Hammer meet nail. Agree.
+1
hope you didn't read my comment as praising the coaching. don't think their in-game effort resulted in the loss, though.
Coaching staff made two mistakes on the same play.

A) should have taken the points and gone for the FG
B) Once they decide not to do THAT, should have called literally ANY other play than the one they did
Hauck doesn't agree with you on A, nor do I. I agree with you on B.

"We knew we were going to go for it on fourth down and we didn't get it," Hauck said after the game on his mindset on going for it. "Basically, I thought we would need more than those three points to win the game and that was right in hindsight."

User avatar
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club
Posts: 21968
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Texas

Re: not out-coached

Post by AZGrizFan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:58 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:56 pm
AZGrizFan wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:13 pm
argh! wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:05 am
'68griz wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:02 am


+1
hope you didn't read my comment as praising the coaching. don't think their in-game effort resulted in the loss, though.
Coaching staff made two mistakes on the same play.

A) should have taken the points and gone for the FG
B) Once they decide not to do THAT, should have called literally ANY other play than the one they did
Hauck doesn't agree with you on A, nor do I. I agree with you on B.

"We knew we were going to go for it on fourth down and we didn't get it," Hauck said after the game on his mindset on going for it. "Basically, I thought we would need more than those three points to win the game and that was right in hindsight."
So he was omnipotent about the punt return? :lol:
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.

grizpack
eGriz Club
Posts: 9123
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:46 am

Re: not out-coached

Post by grizpack » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:21 pm

Diesel wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:17 pm
I’m sure JLM and Bingham(hope his injury isn’t as bad as it looked) will take care of the ball better
Hope coaches put Lee in short run situations
Trying to understand how Defense gives up 350+ yards and 3 TDs in the air and D-Line cannot get pressure without blitzing and blitzing isn’t working (second half had glimpses of hope for Defense)
Hope pass coverage returns next week against Sac St
I didn't get to see the game. What happened to Bingham?

Post Reply