What’s up with Timmy?

Griz & Big Sky Conference Basketball
grizbro
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:39 pm

Didn’t watch today but no playing time and lots of fouls in 1 minute? He can be Mr. Excitement but lately seems subdued. What’s up...in detention again?
User avatar
Proud Griz Man
eGriz Club
Posts: 5404
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:50 am

was formerly called the sophomore slump?
grizonbob
eGriz Club
Posts: 1803
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:17 pm
Location: out there in the ether

At one point late in the game I noticed DeCuire admonish Falls about something while he was sitting on the bench, and Falls looked kind of glum after it happened.
maroonandsilver
eGriz Club
Posts: 1799
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:25 am

Don't know what happened in this case, but Timmy's mouth has got him in trouble in the past.
first11
Posts: 2233
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: missoula

Hmmm, pattern of behavior indicates some issues

Gifted..... but if this is a continuing trend, his career here ??
socalgriz2344
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:46 pm

Reminds of another fiery red haired point guard..#4..Mr. Sam Riddle. Gifted player, ability to pass and find players open, but didn’t know when to shut his mouth and it ultimately got him in trouble.

Watching Timmy the last couple of games, he has been pushing hard and playing terrible defense, not
Moving his feet and reaching in frequently. Hope he figures it out because he can be special.
User avatar
AllWeatherFan
eGriz Club
Posts: 10672
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:39 pm
Location: Space (Best In)

Timmy is a very good defensive player, and is the best passer on the team by far.

Next year, Timmy will be the man.

This year, however, he will mainly play a support role, but will still have opportunities to step up and make big plays for this team, just as he has done. As long as he accepts and embraces that role, he'll be fine. I have no reason to think he'll be side-tracked by any underlying "issues" alluded to in this thread.
Turn up the Eagles, the neighbors are listening.
grizbro
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:39 pm

AllWeatherFan wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:56 pm
Timmy is a very good defensive player, and is the best passer on the team by far.

Next year, Timmy will be the man.

This year, however, he will mainly play a support role, but will still have opportunities to step up and make big plays for this team, just as he has done. As long as he accepts and embraces that role, he'll be fine. I have no reason to think he'll be side-tracked by any underlying "issues" alluded to in this thread.
Would like to think that but believe somethings up. Sitting during garbage time and pouting in locker room pictures tell a different story. Hope things get worked out...think we’ll need him down the stretch.
first11
Posts: 2233
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: missoula

grizbro wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:55 pm
AllWeatherFan wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:56 pm
Timmy is a very good defensive player, and is the best passer on the team by far.

Next year, Timmy will be the man.

This year, however, he will mainly play a support role, but will still have opportunities to step up and make big plays for this team, just as he has done. As long as he accepts and embraces that role, he'll be fine. I have no reason to think he'll be side-tracked by any underlying "issues" alluded to in this thread.
Would like to think that but believe somethings up. Sitting during garbage time and pouting in locker room pictures tell a different story. Hope things get worked out...think we’ll need him down the stretch.
Won’t be surprised if he is not around long.
grizbro
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:39 pm

Maybe like Karl last year?
NativeGriz
Posts: 2810
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:16 pm
Location: Polson

socalgriz2344 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:21 am
Reminds of another fiery red haired point guard..#4..Mr. Sam Riddle. Gifted player, ability to pass and find players open, but didn’t know when to shut his mouth and it ultimately got him in trouble.

Watching Timmy the last couple of games, he has been pushing hard and playing terrible defense, not
Moving his feet and reaching in frequently. Hope he figures it out because he can be special.
That is an excellent comparison. Sam had a gift, but attitude could take him out of the game. Sam is an excellent musician with regular gig in Vegas.
The older I get the better I was.
PlayerRep
Posts: 27069
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

grizbro wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:49 pm
Maybe like Karl last year?
Speaking of Nicholas. Has started 5 games. Is 8th on team in minutes, with 18 per games. 4th leading scorer with 7.8. Shooting 42%. 54% from the line. 5th in rebounds, with 4.2. 10 assists to 25 TO. Leads team with 18 blocks. I think his stats came after an injury to a teammate.

At UM, he played just under 10 minutes at UM, which was 8th on the team. Didn't have much for scoring or rebounding average, but shot 60%. Shot 33% from the line.
User avatar
grizband
eGriz Club
Posts: 2178
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Walla Walla, WA

PlayerRep wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:21 am
grizbro wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:49 pm
Maybe like Karl last year?
Speaking of Nicholas. Has started 5 games. Is 8th on team in minutes, with 18 per games. 4th leading scorer with 7.8. Shooting 42%. 54% from the line. 5th in rebounds, with 4.2. 10 assists to 25 TO. Leads team with 18 blocks. I think his stats came after an injury to a teammate.

At UM, he played just under 10 minutes at UM, which was 8th on the team. Didn't have much for scoring or rebounding average, but shot 60%. Shot 33% from the line.
Freak of an athlete, but hasn't stuffed the box score at either location (although I wouldn't have expected this as a true freshman at Montana).
User avatar
Grizfan-24
Posts: 1850
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: On the beach. San Diego.

Timmy Falls is a perplexing case.

He seems to be pressing to get the most out of his time on the floor. His role is essentially similar to that last year, and I just get the sense he is trying to get 35 minutes of action out of 20. I think when you measure that with Pridgetts team MVP like performance this year, it might make a bit of sense as to why Falls does what he does on the floor. Feels like he is trying to make an immediate impact, but rather than letting the game and his instincts take over he is pressing the issue.
Pedestrian Football analysis found here:
www.maroonbloodblog.com

Older pedestrian football analysis found here:
www.monidasports.blogspot.com

Full of double speak and clearly I have never played the game. Two thousand words where 10 would suffice.
User avatar
AllWeatherFan
eGriz Club
Posts: 10672
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:39 pm
Location: Space (Best In)

Grizfan-24 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:29 pm
Timmy Falls is a perplexing case.

He seems to be pressing to get the most out of his time on the floor. His role is essentially similar to that last year, and I just get the sense he is trying to get 35 minutes of action out of 20. I think when you measure that with Pridgetts team MVP like performance this year, it might make a bit of sense as to why Falls does what he does on the floor. Feels like he is trying to make an immediate impact, but rather than letting the game and his instincts take over he is pressing the issue.
I agree. Timmy sometimes forces passes or takes the occasional ill-advised shot. It's a risk/reward thing, because when he makes a great assist or hits a big three, it fires up the team and the crowd.

I assume we will see him do that MANY times over the remainder of his career...AT UM.
Turn up the Eagles, the neighbors are listening.
User avatar
fanofzoo
Posts: 3863
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:08 am
Location: missoula

Timmy is at his best when we go small and run the ball, open court not fair.
User avatar
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club
Posts: 25530
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Texas

Timmy will be at his best with another team if he keeps up the pouting and sulking and mouthing off...
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.
grizaremoregooder
Posts: 2912
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:31 am

Not sure if anyone realizes this but Montana has a lot of very good basketball players on the roster this season. Timmy Falls plays behind 2 of the top guards in the conference. Next year Falls will be one of the best in the conference but he is paying his dues right now. He still has a lot to learn from Jedi master Travis Decurie.
UMFan12
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:49 pm

grizaremoregooder wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:43 am
Not sure if anyone realizes this but Montana has a lot of very good basketball players on the roster this season. Timmy Falls plays behind 2 of the top guards in the conference. Next year Falls will be one of the best in the conference but he is paying his dues right now. He still has a lot to learn from Jedi master Travis Decurie.
Exactly. I think the expectations for him this year were too high. Being a sophomore on a team loaded with other options at the guard spot is tough. He still has potential to break DeCuire’s assist record.
PlayerRep
Posts: 27069
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

AllWeatherFan wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:02 pm
Grizfan-24 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:29 pm
Timmy Falls is a perplexing case.

He seems to be pressing to get the most out of his time on the floor. His role is essentially similar to that last year, and I just get the sense he is trying to get 35 minutes of action out of 20. I think when you measure that with Pridgetts team MVP like performance this year, it might make a bit of sense as to why Falls does what he does on the floor. Feels like he is trying to make an immediate impact, but rather than letting the game and his instincts take over he is pressing the issue.
I agree. Timmy sometimes forces passes or takes the occasional ill-advised shot. It's a risk/reward thing, because when he makes a great assist or hits a big three, it fires up the team and the crowd.

I assume we will see him do that MANY times over the remainder of his career...AT UM.
I agree. Also note that Falls is a very good defender, and he was starting this year before he got into trouble for saying something on the Thanksgiving trip. UM often plays 3 guards, and occasionally 4. With the addition and emergence of Manuel, there are finite minutes to divide among all of them. However, Ideally (and I don't know what's being said and going on behind the scenes), Falls should be playing more.

AWF, you should make more substantive posts on hoops. You've made a number of good posts in the last month or so.
Post Reply