If NDSU were to have an FBS conference??

Get the low down on Griz Football and the FCS
alabamagrizzly
Posts: 3157
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:05 pm
Location: body in Alabama, heart in Montana

Re: If NDSU were to have an FBS conference??

Post by alabamagrizzly » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:31 pm

Does everyone remember that Central Florida was an FCS move up? Jus sayin’....
"In Bill's(Wild Bill Kelly) tragic death there might be some message for the college society that basks in the glory of the football team and the individual heroes, but overlooks the fact that they are like the rest of us with conflicts, fears, frustrations, and weakness."-Joseph Cochran, friend of Kelly's

CatGrad-UMGradStu
Posts: 658
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:03 pm

Re: If NDSU were to have an FBS conference??

Post by CatGrad-UMGradStu » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:03 pm

alabamagrizzly wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:31 pm
Does everyone remember that Central Florida was an FCS move up? Jus sayin’....
South Florida...considering geographical proximity out here becomes a nightmare. Tampa and Orlando are only about a 100 miles apart. The schools out here seem to be filled with administrators who don't understand the logistics involved in a spread out conference...the travel involved severely affects even high school athletics in a far flung state such as Montana.

alabamagrizzly
Posts: 3157
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:05 pm
Location: body in Alabama, heart in Montana

Re: If NDSU were to have an FBS conference??

Post by alabamagrizzly » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:21 pm

CatGrad-UMGradStu wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:03 pm
alabamagrizzly wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:31 pm
Does everyone remember that Central Florida was an FCS move up? Jus sayin’....
South Florida...considering geographical proximity out here becomes a nightmare. Tampa and Orlando are only about a 100 miles apart. The schools out here seem to be filled with administrators who don't understand the logistics involved in a spread out conference...the travel involved severely affects even high school athletics in a far flung state such as Montana.
Central Florida, South Florida, Florida International, and Florida Atlantic are all former FCS teams.
"In Bill's(Wild Bill Kelly) tragic death there might be some message for the college society that basks in the glory of the football team and the individual heroes, but overlooks the fact that they are like the rest of us with conflicts, fears, frustrations, and weakness."-Joseph Cochran, friend of Kelly's

alabamagrizzly
Posts: 3157
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:05 pm
Location: body in Alabama, heart in Montana

Re: If NDSU were to have an FBS conference??

Post by alabamagrizzly » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:21 pm

So since we feel like talking about move ups since it’s that time of year and we’ve wasted nearly 30 pages on the “better team” across the divide, here’s some interesting numbers I thought I’d put out there.

In the 2018-19 bowl season FCS move ups were 8-6. Most of them were paired against each other though. Move ups vs non move ups were 4-2 including Central Florida’s loss to LSU. I’d say that’s successful.

In the 2017-18 season, they fared even better going 10-6 and 6-2 vs non move ups including UCF’s win over Auburn and Boise’s win over Oregon.

The payouts for the Group of Five schools(no move ups in the power 5 cons) last year was $81.32 mil to be spread out mostly evenly among those 61 teams, including even Idaho. By comparison 89 FCS teams(only split by athletic scholarship schools) split $2.53 mil for their playoffs. Of course this is all just food for thought since we’re definitely not moving up anytime soon and NDSU most likely won’t get an invite they’d accept anytime soon(I don’t see them going to the Sun Belt)

2018 results
*North Texas loss v Utah St
*Georgia Southern win v East Mich
*App St win v *Middle Tenn
*UAB win v Northern Illinois
*Marshal win v *USF
*FIU win v Toledo
*Troy win v *Buffalo
*La Tech win v Hawaii
*BSU canceled
*Nevada win v *Ark St
*UCF loss v LSU

Move ups 8-6
V non fcs 4-2

2017 results
*Troy win v *North Texas
*Georgia St win v *Western Kentucky
*BSU win v Oregon
*Marshal win v Col St
*Middle Tenn win v *Arkansas St
*FAU win v *Akron
*La Tech win v SMU
*FIU loss v Temple
*UAB loss v Ohio
*USF win v Texas Tech
*App St win v Toledo
*UCF win v Auburn

Move ups 10-6
V non fcs 6-2

*FCS move up
"In Bill's(Wild Bill Kelly) tragic death there might be some message for the college society that basks in the glory of the football team and the individual heroes, but overlooks the fact that they are like the rest of us with conflicts, fears, frustrations, and weakness."-Joseph Cochran, friend of Kelly's

Grizzoola
eGriz Club
Posts: 3847
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:03 pm
Location: Henderson, NV

Re: If NDSU were to have an FBS conference??

Post by Grizzoola » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:36 pm

Why in H is the Big 12 ignored for a Bizon move-up?? Look at the geographical proximities. OK, WVa is out there, but really: Baylor, the Kansans, maybe even TCU, & TTU could be matchups. See Big 12 conference members: /en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_12_Conference

User avatar
PeauxRouge
Posts: 7475
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:14 pm

Re: If NDSU were to have an FBS conference??

Post by PeauxRouge » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:24 pm

alabamagrizzly wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:42 pm
They’ve done pretty well in the B10.
Yeah, exactly, they could jump in the Big 10 right now and at least finish in the middle, if not higher.

UNDfan
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2002 3:17 pm

Re: If NDSU were to have an FBS conference??

Post by UNDfan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:39 pm

Grizzoola wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:36 pm
Why in H is the Big 12 ignored for a Bizon move-up?? Look at the geographical proximities. OK, WVa is out there, but really: Baylor, the Kansans, maybe even TCU, & TTU could be matchups. See Big 12 conference members: /en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_12_Conference
Last year when the Big 12 announced they may expand, the schools holding their hands up like 2nd graders were Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF, USF, Houston, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, Temple, UConn, BYU, Colo State and maybe others. Only Cincinnati had the academic and research prestige to be even considered, but they all had media potential just around their campuses. Texas and the others declined to add anyone because no one could agree on the second team.

The Big 12 should have added Louisville and Cincinnati at the same time as WVA to make them less of an island. Louisville was taken by the snobbish ACC because of their proven athletic potential and media potential, in spite of low rated academics. Louisville poured money into their facilities due to their shoe contracts.

P5 membership is such an exclusive club, one would have to spend a billion for an FCS team for research and facilities with fans and media, to move up Boise St and BYU aren’t wanted by that club. Stony Brook and Delaware have enough academic and research prestige to attempt it, but they need facilities and fans.

https://saturdayblitz.com/2018/01/26/bi ... ference/2/

The networks, ESPN mainly, decide who goes P5,as they write the contracts. If they don’t want someone, they veto it and another school isn’t added.

TCU and Utah are the only G5’s that have moved up. Cincinnati, USF, UConn have moved down as they lost Big East status. Louisville, WVA, Rutgers, Va Tech, Pitt, Syracuse, BC narrowly averted a downgrade in status.
Last edited by UNDfan on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ursa Major
eGriz Club
Posts: 8427
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: If NDSU were to have an FBS conference??

Post by Ursa Major » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:56 pm

Lakerhater wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:08 pm
You called egriz posters a bunch of morons and yet, they allow you to post of here???? WTF ?
e-Griz is the sanctuary city of FCS football boards. We accept the kitties, the fatties, the drunks, the idiots and the lunatics. It’s part of the e-Griz magic that puts the fun in dysfunctional.

This leaves many to exclaim:

Build the wall!
Post Like A Champion!

SaskGriz
Posts: 1720
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:55 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: If NDSU were to have an FBS conference??

Post by SaskGriz » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:42 am

Ursa Major wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:56 pm
Lakerhater wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:08 pm
You called egriz posters a bunch of morons and yet, they allow you to post of here???? WTF ?
e-Griz is the sanctuary city of FCS football boards. We accept the kitties, the fatties, the drunks, the idiots and the lunatics. It’s part of the e-Griz magic that puts the fun in dysfunctional.

This leaves many to exclaim:

Build the wall!
When you guys build that wall, and Mexico finishes paying for it, you should put the words from the Statue of Liberty on it, but with either the word "DON'T" at the front or just that red circle with the slash through it over top of it.

hilinegrizfan
Posts: 361
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:04 am

Re: If NDSU were to have an FBS conference??

Post by hilinegrizfan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:38 am

SaskGriz wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:42 am
Ursa Major wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:56 pm
Lakerhater wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:08 pm
You called egriz posters a bunch of morons and yet, they allow you to post of here???? WTF ?
e-Griz is the sanctuary city of FCS football boards. We accept the kitties, the fatties, the drunks, the idiots and the lunatics. It’s part of the e-Griz magic that puts the fun in dysfunctional.

This leaves many to exclaim:

Build the wall!
When you guys build that wall, and Mexico finishes paying for it, you should put the words from the Statue of Liberty on it, but with either the word "DON'T" at the front or just that red circle with the slash through it over top of it.
:thumb:

User avatar
kemajic
eGriz Club
Posts: 11598
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:18 pm
Location: Columbus

Re: If NDSU were to have an FBS conference??

Post by kemajic » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:10 am

SaskGriz wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:42 am
Ursa Major wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:56 pm
Lakerhater wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:08 pm
You called egriz posters a bunch of morons and yet, they allow you to post of here???? WTF ?
e-Griz is the sanctuary city of FCS football boards. We accept the kitties, the fatties, the drunks, the idiots and the lunatics. It’s part of the e-Griz magic that puts the fun in dysfunctional.

This leaves many to exclaim:

Build the wall!
When you guys build that wall, and Mexico finishes paying for it, you should put the words from the Statue of Liberty on it, but with either the word "DON'T" at the front or just that red circle with the slash through it over top of it.
Actually you Canucks get to contribute with the NAFTA redo. Your script suggestions are perfect. Making America Great Again.
"I woke up still not dead again today." - Willie Nelson

User avatar
HerdFan12
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: If NDSU were to have an FBS conference??

Post by HerdFan12 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:34 pm

alabamagrizzly wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:21 pm
2018 results
*North Texas loss v Utah St
*Georgia Southern win v East Mich
*App St win v *Middle Tenn
*UAB win v Northern Illinois
*Marshal win v *USF
*FIU win v Toledo
*Troy win v *Buffalo
*La Tech win v Hawaii
*BSU canceled
*Nevada win v *Ark St
*UCF loss v LSU

Move ups 8-6
V non fcs 4-2

2017 results
*Troy win v *North Texas
*Georgia St win v *Western Kentucky
*BSU win v Oregon
*Marshal win v Col St
*Middle Tenn win v *Arkansas St
*FAU win v *Akron
*La Tech win v SMU
*FIU loss v Temple
*UAB loss v Ohio
*USF win v Texas Tech
*App St win v Toledo
*UCF win v Auburn

Move ups 10-6
V non fcs 6-2

*FCS move up
It would be nice if you knew how to actually spell Marshall. The Herd are 12-2 in sanctioned bowl games and have the best bowl winning % of any school with at least 10 bowl games at .856%. They also have the longest active bowl winning streak in the nation at 7.

Marshall Bowls
1997 Motor City Loss Ole Miss 34-31
1998 Motor City Win Louisville 48-29
1999 Motor City Win #25 BYU 21-3 (Marshall 13-0 Rank 10)
2000 Motor City Win Cincinnati 25-14
2001 GMAC ECU Win 64-61 (3 OT, down 30-8 at the half)
2002 GMAC Louisville 38-15 (Louisville had 2 different HC during the game, news broke at the half that John L Smith had taken the Michigan State job, Bobby Petrino coaches the 2nd half)
2004 Fort Worth Loss Cincinnati 32-14
2009 Little Caesars Win Ohio 21-17 (The Former Motor City Bowl)
2011 Beef O' Brady's Win FIU 20-10
2013 Military Win Maryland 31-20
2014 Boca Raton Win #21 NIU 52-23 (Marshall was #18 and finished #17)
2015 St Pete UConn Win 16-10
2017 New Mexico Win Colorado State 31-28
2018 Gaspirilla Win USF 38-20
UNDfan wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:39 pm
TCU and Utah are the only G5’s that have moved up. Cincinnati, USF, UConn have moved down as they lost Big East status. Louisville, WVA, Rutgers, Va Tech, Pitt, Syracuse, BC narrowly averted a downgrade in status.
Louisville was part of CUSA from 1995-2004.
===============================================

To everyone who even questions it, yes the move was worth it after the 96 season. To not have to go to Callowhee, NC, Lexington VA, Greenville NC, Johnson City TN and play in poor facilities. And then have to play half funded programs. Yes it was totally worth it. Not even close.

User avatar
CDAGRIZ
eGriz Club
Posts: 15175
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:52 pm
Location: West Coast

Re: If NDSU were to have an FBS conference??

Post by CDAGRIZ » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:51 pm

HerdFan12 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:34 pm
To everyone who even questions it, yes the move was worth it after the 96 season. To not have to go to Callowhee, NC, Lexington VA, Greenville NC, Johnson City TN and play in poor facilities. And then have to play half funded programs. Yes it was totally worth it. Not even close.
Herdfan12, did you ever get the sense that your fan base wasn't happy because they wanted the Herd to have the chance to play for a "real championship"? Follow-up: did Herd fans ever feel like the bowl wins were anti-climactic or otherwise not exciting?

User avatar
AllWeatherFan
eGriz Club
Posts: 9980
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:39 pm
Location: Effington

Re: If NDSU were to have an FBS conference??

Post by AllWeatherFan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:18 pm

CDAGRIZ wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:51 pm
HerdFan12 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:34 pm
To everyone who even questions it, yes the move was worth it after the 96 season. To not have to go to Callowhee, NC, Lexington VA, Greenville NC, Johnson City TN and play in poor facilities. And then have to play half funded programs. Yes it was totally worth it. Not even close.
Herdfan12, did you ever get the sense that your fan base wasn't happy because they wanted the Herd to have the chance to play for a "real championship"? Follow-up: did Herd fans ever feel like the bowl wins were anti-climactic or otherwise not exciting?
...or did Herd fans complain that they actually had enough time to plan a trip to the bowl games? :lol:
Turn up the Eagles, the neighbors are listening.

User avatar
HerdFan12
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: If NDSU were to have an FBS conference??

Post by HerdFan12 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:27 pm

CDAGRIZ wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:51 pm
Herdfan12, did you ever get the sense that your fan base wasn't happy because they wanted the Herd to have the chance to play for a "real championship"? Follow-up: did Herd fans ever feel like the bowl wins were anti-climactic or otherwise not exciting?
There were very few detractors in us leaving the SoCon. The writing was on the wall going all the way back to 1988 that Marshall would one day leave IAA. That was the year Marshall got the go ahead to build what was then Marshall Stadium, now Joan C Edwards Stadium.

Plus Marshall had already done everything it could do in IAA, 2 National Titles, one a perfect season starting at #1 and never losing the ranking, a Walter Payton award winner and other various accomplishments. There was zero left to do.

Marshall would have left IAA after the 1994 season had they been granted a spot in the newly formed CUSA. At first they had the votes but then Denny Crum (Louisville Basketball HC) got Memphis, UAB and TCU to change their vote.

Marshall just finished their 21st season in IA after leaving. In that 21 years they have had 12 IA All-American's, 3 Heisman Finalists, 1 Biletnikoff Award winner, 1 Nagurski Award winner, 1 perfect season, 3 1 loss seasons and 6 10 win seasons. And again we are 12-2 in bowl games.

Not many if any see playing in a bowl game less thrilling than playing in a national title game.
AllWeatherFan wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:18 pm
...or did Herd fans complain that they actually had enough time to plan a trip to the bowl games? :lol:
Take a shot if you like but all of CUSA Bowl Games are played within a 7-10 day span, so you know 3 months out when one of those games will be played.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/sc ... e/3/week/1 CUSA Bowl Games
-----------------------------------------------

Im sure some Montana fans have the same basic argument that Marshall had, would you rather play IA schools that is fully funded or do you still want to play schools that either just don't care about athletics that much or have deemphasized athletics so much it just doesn't matter.

User avatar
CDAGRIZ
eGriz Club
Posts: 15175
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:52 pm
Location: West Coast

Re: If NDSU were to have an FBS conference??

Post by CDAGRIZ » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:21 pm

HerdFan12 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:27 pm
CDAGRIZ wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:51 pm
Herdfan12, did you ever get the sense that your fan base wasn't happy because they wanted the Herd to have the chance to play for a "real championship"? Follow-up: did Herd fans ever feel like the bowl wins were anti-climactic or otherwise not exciting?
There were very few detractors in us leaving the SoCon. The writing was on the wall going all the way back to 1988 that Marshall would one day leave IAA. That was the year Marshall got the go ahead to build what was then Marshall Stadium, now Joan C Edwards Stadium.

Plus Marshall had already done everything it could do in IAA, 2 National Titles, one a perfect season starting at #1 and never losing the ranking, a Walter Payton award winner and other various accomplishments. There was zero left to do.

Marshall would have left IAA after the 1994 season had they been granted a spot in the newly formed CUSA. At first they had the votes but then Denny Crum (Louisville Basketball HC) got Memphis, UAB and TCU to change their vote.

Marshall just finished their 21st season in IA after leaving. In that 21 years they have had 12 IA All-American's, 3 Heisman Finalists, 1 Biletnikoff Award winner, 1 Nagurski Award winner, 1 perfect season, 3 1 loss seasons and 6 10 win seasons. And again we are 12-2 in bowl games.

Not many if any see playing in a bowl game less thrilling than playing in a national title game.
AllWeatherFan wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:18 pm
...or did Herd fans complain that they actually had enough time to plan a trip to the bowl games? :lol:
Take a shot if you like but all of CUSA Bowl Games are played within a 7-10 day span, so you know 3 months out when one of those games will be played.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/sc ... e/3/week/1 CUSA Bowl Games
-----------------------------------------------

Im sure some Montana fans have the same basic argument that Marshall had, would you rather play IA schools that is fully funded or do you still want to play schools that either just don't care about athletics that much or have deemphasized athletics so much it just doesn't matter.
Fantastic post. Thank you. Very interesting. We still have a few who make the same hilarious "Toilet Bowl" jokes every bowl season. Maybe that'll change 20 years late like everything...

For the record, I think AWF might've been being a tad sarcastic if you re-read.

User avatar
AllWeatherFan
eGriz Club
Posts: 9980
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:39 pm
Location: Effington

Re: If NDSU were to have an FBS conference??

Post by AllWeatherFan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:45 pm

SaskGriz wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:42 am
Ursa Major wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:56 pm
Lakerhater wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:08 pm
You called egriz posters a bunch of morons and yet, they allow you to post of here???? WTF ?
e-Griz is the sanctuary city of FCS football boards. We accept the kitties, the fatties, the drunks, the idiots and the lunatics. It’s part of the e-Griz magic that puts the fun in dysfunctional.

This leaves many to exclaim:

Build the wall!
When you guys build that wall, and Mexico finishes paying for it, you should put the words from the Statue of Liberty on it, but with either the word "DON'T" at the front or just that red circle with the slash through it over top of it.
:lol: :lol: :clap: :lol: :lol:
Turn up the Eagles, the neighbors are listening.

User avatar
EverettGriz
eGriz Club
Posts: 19825
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Mill Creek, WA

Re: If NDSU were to have an FBS conference??

Post by EverettGriz » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:16 am

HerdFan12 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:27 pm
CDAGRIZ wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:51 pm
Herdfan12, did you ever get the sense that your fan base wasn't happy because they wanted the Herd to have the chance to play for a "real championship"? Follow-up: did Herd fans ever feel like the bowl wins were anti-climactic or otherwise not exciting?
There were very few detractors in us leaving the SoCon. The writing was on the wall going all the way back to 1988 that Marshall would one day leave IAA. That was the year Marshall got the go ahead to build what was then Marshall Stadium, now Joan C Edwards Stadium.

Plus Marshall had already done everything it could do in IAA, 2 National Titles, one a perfect season starting at #1 and never losing the ranking, a Walter Payton award winner and other various accomplishments. There was zero left to do.

Marshall would have left IAA after the 1994 season had they been granted a spot in the newly formed CUSA. At first they had the votes but then Denny Crum (Louisville Basketball HC) got Memphis, UAB and TCU to change their vote.

Marshall just finished their 21st season in IA after leaving. In that 21 years they have had 12 IA All-American's, 3 Heisman Finalists, 1 Biletnikoff Award winner, 1 Nagurski Award winner, 1 perfect season, 3 1 loss seasons and 6 10 win seasons. And again we are 12-2 in bowl games.

Not many if any see playing in a bowl game less thrilling than playing in a national title game.
AllWeatherFan wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:18 pm
...or did Herd fans complain that they actually had enough time to plan a trip to the bowl games? :lol:
Take a shot if you like but all of CUSA Bowl Games are played within a 7-10 day span, so you know 3 months out when one of those games will be played.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/sc ... e/3/week/1 CUSA Bowl Games
-----------------------------------------------

Im sure some Montana fans have the same basic argument that Marshall had, would you rather play IA schools that is fully funded or do you still want to play schools that either just don't care about athletics that much or have deemphasized athletics so much it just doesn't matter.
Great post. I sure wish we had people who think big rather than “we’re little ol Montana so we will suck”. And then we’ve got the “who wants to watch the fill in the snarky name bowl” types. Well, based on the attendance figures for the fcs playoff games, a whole shit ton more, that’s who.
Booze is the duct tape of life.

PlayerRep
Posts: 22745
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: If NDSU were to have an FBS conference??

Post by PlayerRep » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:46 am

HerdFan12 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:27 pm
CDAGRIZ wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:51 pm
Herdfan12, did you ever get the sense that your fan base wasn't happy because they wanted the Herd to have the chance to play for a "real championship"? Follow-up: did Herd fans ever feel like the bowl wins were anti-climactic or otherwise not exciting?
There were very few detractors in us leaving the SoCon. The writing was on the wall going all the way back to 1988 that Marshall would one day leave IAA. That was the year Marshall got the go ahead to build what was then Marshall Stadium, now Joan C Edwards Stadium.

Plus Marshall had already done everything it could do in IAA, 2 National Titles, one a perfect season starting at #1 and never losing the ranking, a Walter Payton award winner and other various accomplishments. There was zero left to do.

Marshall would have left IAA after the 1994 season had they been granted a spot in the newly formed CUSA. At first they had the votes but then Denny Crum (Louisville Basketball HC) got Memphis, UAB and TCU to change their vote.

Marshall just finished their 21st season in IA after leaving. In that 21 years they have had 12 IA All-American's, 3 Heisman Finalists, 1 Biletnikoff Award winner, 1 Nagurski Award winner, 1 perfect season, 3 1 loss seasons and 6 10 win seasons. And again we are 12-2 in bowl games.

Not many if any see playing in a bowl game less thrilling than playing in a national title game.
AllWeatherFan wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:18 pm
...or did Herd fans complain that they actually had enough time to plan a trip to the bowl games? :lol:
Take a shot if you like but all of CUSA Bowl Games are played within a 7-10 day span, so you know 3 months out when one of those games will be played.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/sc ... e/3/week/1 CUSA Bowl Games
-----------------------------------------------

Im sure some Montana fans have the same basic argument that Marshall had, would you rather play IA schools that is fully funded or do you still want to play schools that either just don't care about athletics that much or have deemphasized athletics so much it just doesn't matter.
Interesting summary of what Marshall has done since it moved up. I didn't know any of that. I didn't even know what conference they were in. Don't follow them at all. If I see them playing on tv, I flip to another channel. After leaving FCS, Marshall went into oblivion for me. I follow the major FBS conferences, but none of the others except MW a little bit.

In 2017, Marshall averaged 21,741 in home attendance. UM averaged 23,535.

In 2018, Marshall had 24,063, and Montana had 24,677.

User avatar
EverettGriz
eGriz Club
Posts: 19825
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Mill Creek, WA

Re: If NDSU were to have an FBS conference??

Post by EverettGriz » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:10 am

And yet, Marshall is ON television. UM is on Pluto. If it happens to be working that week, that is.
Booze is the duct tape of life.

Post Reply