• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

MSU Men's Hoops Coach and Portal Stuff

mthoopsfan

I heard that MSU hired a search firm before even talking to the assistants, so they decided to depart.

MSU men's basketball, and perhaps the women too, is in a world of hurt. Top players to Portal. Transfer(s) de-committing. Recruit(s) de-committing. No new coach named.

Look at the names that are finalists. Quality guys.

All the women that left for the most part have their covid year and if you read the tweets coach Bin gave them each a heartfelt good luck and thank you. Most coaches don't do that. Women will be fine. Other players waiting in the wings couldn't play so this let's them develop.

mthoopsfan said:
I heard that MSU hired a search firm before even talking to the assistants, so they decided to depart.

MSU men's basketball, and perhaps the women too, is in a world of hurt. Top players to Portal. Transfer(s) de-committing. Recruit(s) de-committing. No new coach named.

I think as long as they still have Binford the women will be pretty solid. She is an excellent coach.

UncleRico said:
mthoopsfan said:

I think as long as they still have Binford the women will be pretty solid. She is an excellent coach.

At this level and in a place like Montana, I can't imagine that it will be very easy or doable to replace the amount of talent departing and to mold them into a strong team. Even for a good coach like Binford. I just don't see the attraction. They didn't even get to the tournament this past season.

Allezchat said:
Look at the names that are finalists. Quality guys.

All the women that left for the most part have their covid year and if you read the tweets coach Bin gave them each a heartfelt good luck and thank you. Most coaches don't do that. Women will be fine. Other players waiting in the wings couldn't play so this let's them develop.

Who are the finalists? Players and coaches saying nice goodbyes doesn't replace the huge amount of talent departing.

Here's the guy UM12 thought was too risky for MSU and wouldn't be a top player at MSU or in the Big Sky, and wouldn't fit in at UM:

"Montana State transfer RaeQuan Battle tells me that he has heard from the following schools since entering the portal:

Alabama
Kansas State
UCLA
Texas
Oregon
Texas Tech
Georgia Tech
Wake Forest
Utah State
USF
Oklahoma
Cal Berkeley"

mthoopsfan said:
Here's the guy UM12 thought was too risky for MSU and wouldn't be a top player at MSU or in the Big Sky, and wouldn't fit in at UM:

"Montana State transfer RaeQuan Battle tells me that he has heard from the following schools since entering the portal:

Alabama
Kansas State
UCLA
Texas
Oregon
Texas Tech
Georgia Tech
Wake Forest
Utah State
USF
Oklahoma
Cal Berkeley"
Here you again. And for the last time, he’s not putting the same numbers on the Griz he did for the Cats. He would’ve played on one of the slowest d-1 teams with 3 other guards who need shots, and with no floor spacers. Basketball is not black and white. It’s nothing close to as simple as you’re making it out to be. And with the guards we had at the time, the signing would’ve made no sense. Of course, those guards leaving, getting arrested, or just not panning out changes things. Hindsight is 20/20

UMFan12 said:
mthoopsfan said:

Alabama
Kansas State
UCLA
Texas
Oregon
Texas Tech
Georgia Tech
Wake Forest
Utah State
USF
Oklahoma
Cal Berkeley"
Here you again. And for the last time, he’s not putting the same numbers on the Griz he did for the Cats. He would’ve played on one of the slowest d-1 teams with 3 other guards who need shots, and with no floor spacers. Basketball is not black and white. It’s nothing close to as simple as you’re making it out to be. And with the guards we had at the time, the signing would’ve made no sense. Of course, those guards leaving, getting arrested, or just not panning out changes things. Hindsight is 20/20
And additionally, for a guy saying battle had nba chances. Don’t know how you’re celebrating Battle getting marginal high major interest, at 22 years old, when guys 2-3 or even 4 years younger are declaring as we speak. He will transfer, average 8-12 on a bad high major or 15-17 on Utah State on average efficiency while providing nothing else, declare for the draft at 23/24(if he has to sit, not listed as grad transfer), go undrafted, and end up overseas or in the g-league.

Another candidate has emerged in Montana State's search for a head men's basketball coach. And he has one thing going for him: he's coached his team in Missoula on several occasions.

Check out the latest: https://skylinesportsmt.com/search-to-replace-sprinkle-is-underway-for-montana-state-mens-hoops/
#BigSkyMBB #MSUBobcatsMBB

📝 @Colter_Nuanez

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1647655415310860288

UMFan12 said:
mthoopsfan said:
Some Battle dunks:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jUNRZqgxXyo
Not sure what this has to do with anything, RaeQuanBattlefan

It's just to show how dumb your analysis of a terrific player like Battle has been. And Battle is from MSU and in the Portal, which is what this thread is about.

Want to tell us again about the 2 UM guards you picked to be the next great guards?

Is the new MSU coach going to be able to pull rabbits out of a hat? Not much seems to be coming to fruition yet. I can't imagine that he was up to speed on D-I recruiting at all, when he was hired. He's now talking to at least a couple of transfers he was recruiting to his D-II. I just can't see top recruits, who have any other decent/good choices, going to MSU, other than for minutes. Virtually no NIL money. Important players graduated, gone, or in Portal. Maybe the new coach to persuade one or more of the portal guys to return. That would help.

mthoopsfan said:
Is the new MSU coach going to be able to pull rabbits out of a hat? Not much seems to be coming to fruition yet. I can't imagine that he was up to speed on D-I recruiting at all, when he was hired. He's now talking to at least a couple of transfers he was recruiting to his D-II. I just can't see top recruits, who have any other decent/good choices, going to MSU, other than for minutes. Virtually no NIL money. Important players graduated, gone, or in Portal. Maybe the new coach to persuade one or more of the portal guys to return. That would help.

Two weeks (this Coming Monday) since Logie was hired and NO assistants named, and NO new incoming players announced. If this were the case at UM, eGriz would be aflame!

maroonandsilver said:
mthoopsfan said:

Two weeks (this Coming Monday) since Logie was hired and NO assistants named, and NO new incoming players announced. If this were the case at UM, eGriz would be aflame!

PoorGriz says Waded will be an assistant and will play. This coach is so good that he doesn't need assistants. All good. Conference champs. All good at MSU in everything. Men's hoops will make it to Sweet 16 next season. The Dakota schools are planning to concede the national championship to the Cats.Indoor practice facility will be built before the UM one is done.

Back