• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Te’Jon Sawyer commits!

HookedonGriz

DONOR
A 6’8 forward with ability to score at the rim and a 42% clip from 3 point line

https://twitter.com/uorangemen/status/1641930645533335557?s=61&t=Fs6l2lZ9cBM1NT2YSdRWNQ

Averaged 15 ppg, 7 rebounds per game, shot over 50% from the field and 42% from deep. He is a big dude who looks like a load to deal with

The last guy I remember that we had from City College was a great player. That would’ve been Delvon Anderson.

Looks like a pretty good get! Jiordan Williams was brought in to take Martin's spot, is this guy starter material that can replace Bannan? I would say that's likely. He's a big guy who is a menace under the hoop. He's got that Jamar Akoh build to him with the bulk that is something I feel like we have really missed ever since Akoh's departure. Spent 2 years at Cal Baptist and had a good Freshmen season in a year they went to the CBI, and then stepped down to CCSF which is one of the better JUCO's on the west coast and was very productive this season. By my count he should have 2 years of eligibility remaining.

He's gonna be tough to defend because he's very versatile. He's a tough rebounder and solid scorer under the hoop, but he can really light it up from behind the arc. He reminds me a lot of Dischon Thomas. He fills a major need too cause we lacked rebounding at times and hardly ever got into transition so he could greatly help us out with that. Now if he can dish out assists and drive to the rim then I think we got something here. My only critic is that I wish he had 2 more inches on him, otherwise I really like what I see!

Griz til I die said:
Looks like a pretty good get! Jiordan Williams was brought in to take Martin's spot, is this guy starter material that can replace Bannan? I would say that's likely. He's a big guy who is a menace under the hoop. He's got that Jamar Akoh build to him with the bulk that is something I feel like we have really missed ever since Akoh's departure. Spent 2 years at Cal Baptist and had a good Freshmen season in a year they went to the CBI, and then stepped down to CCSF which is one of the better JUCO's on the west coast and was very productive this season. By my count he should have 2 years of eligibility remaining.

He's gonna be tough to defend because he's very versatile. He's a tough rebounder and solid scorer under the hoop, but he can really light it up from behind the arc. He reminds me a lot of Dischon Thomas. He fills a major need too cause we lacked rebounding at times and hardly ever got into transition so he could greatly help us out with that. Now if he can dish out assists and drive to the rim then I think we got something here. My only critic is that I wish he had 2 more inches on him, otherwise I really like what I see!

Think he comes off the bench this year and is the Thomas replacement long term. Likely slides Oke out of the rotation.

I am guessing there is another shoe to drop. If my count is right, there are no more scholarships to give and the Santa Clara big was just on campus. Something else has to happen.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/tejon-sawyer-1.html

GrizBall said:
I am guessing there is another shoe to drop. If my count is right, there are no more scholarships to give and the Santa Clara big was just on campus. Something else has to happen.

I think we are good.

Scholarships that count against the count against next years 13:

1. Thomas, Di. - SR
2. Whitney- SR
3. Oke- SR
4. Williams, G TR- JR
5. Sawyer TR- JR
6. Nap- SO
7. Kerr- RS FR
8. Thomas, Do RS FR
9. Reynolds RS FR
10. Henderson HS FR
11. Williams, M HS FR
12. Davidson HS FR
------
13. Vasquez -SR (Covid Year Exception- Doesn't count towards Scholarship total but max roster of 15)
---
14. Moody- SR(Medical Year/Covid Year Exception) Counts against Roster and likely not the Scholarship if it follows past practice.)
So we have at least 13 scholarships (Vasquez's doesn't count), with depending on how they count Moody, we might actually have another scholarship to give.

Grizfan-24 said:
GrizBall said:

I think we are good.

Scholarships that count against the count against next years 13:

1. Thomas, Di. - SR
2. Whitney- SR
3. Oke- SR
4. Williams, G TR- JR
5. Sawyer TR- JR
6. Nap- SO
7. Kerr- RS FR
8. Thomas, Do RS FR
9. Reynolds RS FR
10. Henderson HS FR
11. Williams, M HS FR
12. Davidson HS FR
------
13. Vasquez -SR (Covid Year Exception- Doesn't count towards Scholarship total but max roster of 15)
---
14. Moody- SR(Medical Year/Covid Year Exception) Counts against Roster and likely not the Scholarship if it follows past practice.)
So we have at least 13 scholarships (Vasquez's doesn't count), with depending on how they count Moody, we might actually have another scholarship to give.

Thanks. I agree with this. I may have confusingly worded my post, but my thought was the Sawyer signing means that Jaden Bediako (Santa Clara center) who reportedly was on campus this weekend is no longer in the cards because Sawyer took the last opening. I felt he would have been a really good pick-up. It's just the timing that's weird. That seems like a tight time frame to tell Beidako he has one day to commit or we are giving it to someone else. Conversely, if there is another scholarship opening up Bediako may still be in play. And that scenario makes the most sense to me.

UMFan12 said:
Griz til I die said:

Think he comes off the bench this year and is the Thomas replacement long term. Likely slides Oke out of the rotation.
Maybe they slide him into Mack Anderson's spot off the bench. I'd hate to oust Oke after how strong he came on towards the end of the season.

A bit of a thought exercise:

Flex Posts: Davidson, Di. Thomas, Sawyer, Bateman

Wings: Nap, M. Williams,

Guards: Moody, Vasquez, Kerr, Whitney, Henderson, G. Williams, Do. Thomas,

--
* Thomas, Davidson and Sawyer are all two way posts. They can play as True 4 and 5's but can flex out and play from the 3pt line in.

** Reynolds and Oke are both going to be solid post defending 4/5's with the ability to hedge defensively. Solomon struggled last year as a perimeter defender, but had shown the type of strength as a bigger guy to handle interior post duties.

*** The combinations with the addition of Sawyer allow TDC to play matchup basketball with Di. Thomas and Sawyer. They'll be able to hunt mismatches with both of them on the floor at the same time. Sawyer body wise (if he can stay out of foul trouble) is much more suited to play post defense something that Di. Thomas struggled with last year.

**** I think TDC would take another big under the right circumstances. My hunch is that they might prefer to RS Davidson (he has true 3/4 skills and that might prevent his RS) to build up some bulk. Thought UM would be all over ASU transfer Duke Brennan, a player that we were in on all the way until he committed to ASU. Went to Hillcrest Prep (same prep as Di. Thomas and Do. Thomas (at one point)) who I believe Thomas's dad coached or assisted with. The way the portal is for big men this time around, they are seeing tons of interest and their value is way over the top. The other is the Santa Clara transfer who popped in this weekend for a vist (Bedaiko).

****Next Add: If there is one scholarship left, the odds are a bigger PG who can be a counter to Whitney. We contacted a lot early, and seemed to back off lately after Bannan left. If we see a pivot, it might be towards a bigger PG who can help take some of the pressure off Whitney defensively. The wing/SG positions seems to have multiple options to allow for flexibility.

This guy is very fundamentally sound offensively.
He looks nearly as strong as Akoh. I'm liking this signing.

I'm thinking he starts. Oke 1st big off the bench. Defensively, these guys are all interchangeable at 4 or 5. I prefer Oke at Center protecting the paint. This will spread the court nicely for Whitney to drive, score or kick.

Of our bigs, only Oke isn't a 3 pt threat. Reynolds appears to be a good 3 pt shooting pf too. I hope Davison can play 3.

Is there a true paint shot blocking big still to come?

mtgrizrule said:
This guy is very fundamentally sound offensively.
He looks nearly as strong as Akoh. I'm liking this signing.

I'm thinking he starts. Oke 1st big off the bench. Defensively, these guys are all interchangeable at 4 or 5. I prefer Oke at Center protecting the paint. This will spread the court nicely for Whitney to drive, score or kick.

Of our bigs, only Oke isn't a 3 pt threat. Reynolds appears to be a good 3 pt shooting pf too. I hope Davison can play 3.

Is there a true paint shot blocking big still to come?
There better be. I don’t think there’s a guy on this roster taller than 6’9. That’s not gonna get it done. I’m thinking we’re gonna sign that 6’10 Santa Clara kid that visited over the weekend, and he’s the type of player you just described above!

I wonder, if DeCuire will want him to get down to 240 or 250?
Looks like, this guy is a solid player as is. A little extra quickness would be a good thing.

GrizBall said:

Interestingly, Sawyer spent two years at California Baptist: https://cbulancers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/te-jon-sawyewr/8378 ...accordingly. That must have been for the 2020-21 & 2021-22 seasons. He must have been at UCSF for the 2022-23 season but red-shirted.

WyomingGrizFan said:
GrizBall said:

Interestingly, Sawyer spent two years at California Baptist: https://cbulancers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/te-jon-sawyewr/8378 ...accordingly. That must have been for the 2020-21 & 2021-22 seasons. He must have been at UCSF for the 2022-23 season but red-shirted.

Not UCSF, he was at CCSF.

Key players on the team have told me that Sawyer is the real deal and is a huge get for us. That is all I know at this time.

Back